I was just wandering how you put tactics in game? On my mac it always opens them with fm13 for some reason. Is there a folder you have to create or summit?
Also, can you recommend a tactic for my reading side? I like 4-2-3-1 (with wingers) as a formation.

Last edited:
I was just wandering how you put tactics in game? On my mac it always opens them with fm13 for some reason. Is there a folder you have to create or summit?
Also, can you recommend a tactic for my reading side? I like 4-2-3-1 (with wingers) as a formation.

Sorry, I dont have a mac so I cant say but the tactics are not supposed to be opened. YOu are supposed to put them in your tactics folder in SI/FM14. Then, you import them in the tactic screen in the actuall game.

As for a tactic with Reading, I could not really say as I am not able to play the game ( due to work, kids etc) for another week.
What you do have to remember though is that in the league you are playing, there is very little difference in qualitrt between the teams. This means that without a tactic that actually exploits the ME, meaning that you are playing against an oppinent and not the M?, you will win some and loose some. The ley lies in denieying space and either create or exploit space. Here, you simply have to play to your stregths and watch the games.

Last edited:

I could give you my tactic i'm using, not uploaded anywhere, went unbeaten first season with no major transfers, won all trophies. Have not tested it though so it may not work

I could give you my tactic i'm using, not uploaded anywhere, went unbeaten first season with no major transfers, won all trophies. Have not tested it though so it may not work

Feel free to post the settings you use with your Reading side here.

Being curious. Seing that the tactics in this thread have about 5K downloads altogether, has anyone got any feedback from any of the approaches?

Have anyone used them as inspiration, how did you do ? What changes did you make and under what circumstances did you use them ?

Chers

I've been trying the 4-5-1 asymmetric mostly, and presently I would say it is stable, but perhaps a bit sterile. My striker is goal shy, plus I am unconvinced by the wide target man role on the AML . My team seem to often be crossing from deep hoping to get the ball to him - problem being that there really aren't many flair players who are good in the air, and I don't have the money to buy Ronaldo.

Another thing I noticed is that the 'pass into space' setting which is on by default can often be a real hindrance and has to be watched closely. Poor pass completion and an inability to hold onto the ball being key indicators. In fact I would go as far as to say that low possession stats often put much pressure on my team regardless on what setting (standard/counter/attack) I am using.

I have also toyed around with the Gyroscope - it's much easier on the eye and the triangles played by the players are often very efficient in getting the ball forward even under relentless pressing. I'd still feel like I am not really scoring enough goals and often theoretically 'easy' games can be decided by a lucky goal or ref decision.

I am currently testing these approaches from FM12. So far, I have setup the " Italian 4312 " and its ben really good. If any one wanst to have a bit of fun with them in FM14, dont hesitate to join in

TACTICAL APPROACHES USING THE TACTIC CREATOR
Here I present how I use the Tactic Creator, using shouts. A number of formations suiting topteams, middle teams and underdogs. Notice that none of these tactics are actually up for download but instead, you should look at the screenshots of the teamsettings and roles as inspiration

FLAT 442

MAN UNITED TACTIC
- A TOP TEAM TACTIC

ASTON VILLA TACTIC - A MIDDLETEAM TACTIC

BOLTON TACTIC - A UNDERDOG TACTIC

WIDE 4231
ARSENAL A TOPTEAM TACTIC

WBA TACTIC A MIDDLE TEAM TACTIC

QPR TACTICA UNDERDOG TACTIC

DEEP & WIDE 4222
JUVENTUS TACTIC A TOP TEAM & MIDDLETEAM TACTIC

CHELSEA TACTIC - A TOP TEAM & MIDDLE TEAM TACTIC

INTER & MILAN TACTIC - A TOP TEAM
& MIDDLE TEAM TACTIC

i am testing your 4-2-3-1 wide with my real madrid.
View attachment 421770:D

My tries are coming along nicely as well.
So far, I am using the following "versions".

Heavily attacking
- MOre direct and in a high tempo with lots of players holding their position up front but with many players coming from deep. We overload the flanks.Here, we look to forcing the opponenst into making misstakes and this version really needs using OIs to take out players

Controlling & Stretching
- Here, we both try to retreive the ball( hassle) and as well as keeping it in the team ( retain, play out of defence). We xploit the flanks and use overlaps out wide and move between the lines in the center with the F9 and SS

Bog standard
Looking to hold the possession as well as taking out players with OIs. Here, we use ver few team instrcutions but instead watch the game to see what version that is better to use

Quick & Direct Counter
- Here, we try to exploit the space that is alreadty there. HIgher tempo,. more direct, pass into space and with a AMC dropping deep and the FC and Wingers moving inside onto t-balls

Cautious Counter
- Here, we keep possession, stay on feet and reatin our defensive shape, using hardworking players

For a team like West Ham, one would probably load up the 2 Counter versions along with the Bog standard but still use the heavyly attacking every now and then
For a team like Man U, its probably the Control, cautious Counter and bog standard but still use the 2 other under certain circumstances

Last edited:
TBH, I'm a big fan of high press game with quick transitions and get the ball quickly in the other team area (Mourinho projects and Dortmund Klopp's). Of course, it isn't possible play this way all way in the season. I was thinking in use 2/3 styles (deep counter and a cautious counter, probably). How would you set up this? Do you reckon this last post is the answer to my questions? I really like to work on this but somehow I fail to put my knowledge in the game.

TBH, I'm a big fan of high press game with quick transitions and get the ball quickly in the other team area (Mourinho projects and Dortmund Klopp's). Of course, it isn't possible play this way all way in the season. I was thinking in use 2/3 styles (deep counter and a cautious counter, probably). How would you set up this? Do you reckon this last post is the answer to my questions? I really like to work on this but somehow I fail to put my knowledge in the game.

You would be surprised how few changes and team instructions one have to use to change between a more probing and a more aggressive and direct counter approach.

Start out by using these small hints for a 451, a formation that works with basiclly all instructions and strategies.

- To play more aggressive and direct, just use higher tempo, pass into space, hassle and more direct
- To play more cautious and probing, use retain possession, more narrow, slower

The difference in roles would be that in the more cautious, you will probably use a more creative player in the DMC spot. The FC should be on support in both versions. One MC should burst forward and the other be on support. The wingers could be more adventoures or Inside FCs in the more aggressive along with more attacking fullbacks whilst using defensive wingers and more cautious FBs in the Cautious one.

@Jukilo

Naturally, these approaches wont be the best when playing at home, managing a team like Chelsea. Here, I would probably use Control instead, using overlaps as well in the more direct approach

I'm gonna start the save now (I was having lunch). I'm starting with Spurs probably as they have lots of good options in their squad to test and experiment new things.

Thanks for your answers. Much appreciated :)

TBH, I've put this basic setup's:

The control one:

View attachment 453536

The cautious:

View attachment 453535

The high press one:

View attachment 453534

I haven't done the specific instructions. What can I give to each player? Some recommendations? Are this approaches nearly from what you said?

EDIT: I've noticed that I forgot to put "overlaps" in the high press one. I will change that now :)

TBH, I've put this basic setup's:

The control one:

View attachment 421971

The cautious:

View attachment 421973

The high press one:

View attachment 421975

I haven't done the specific instructions. What can I give to each player? Some recommendations? Are this approaches nearly from what you said?

EDIT: I've noticed that I forgot to put "overlaps" in the high press one. I will change that now :)

Reconsider using one winger on support in the control version

Dont bother too much with the individuall instructions just yet. Be comfortabel with the team instructions firstlty, learning when to to use retain and when to play more direct etc.

As a more stretching version to keep posession and drag those deepsiting defences apart, you might want to add one more. Use the control roles but use

- Hassle, retain, overlap, play out of defence, push up.

As fro the defenders, be prepared to ue COver/stopper against single fc formations
- Retain possession

I have multiple plans for this save (for the 100th time lol):
1- I wanna use the scout reports, with all the informations they give, to choose the better options;
2- See the first 15 minutes to access if my approach it's better one, etc;
3- And think about what specific instructions I can give to the players.

I'm in pre season now but the first 2 games are really rough: Arsenal at WHL and Southampton away. It's better I develop my approach and thinkings as soon as I can. Haha

Cheers for your help. Truly appreciate this :)

I have multiple plans for this save (for the 100th time lol):
1- I wanna use the scout reports, with all the informations they give, to choose the better options;
2- See the first 15 minutes to access if my approach it's better one, etc;
3- And think about what specific instructions I can give to the players.

I'm in pre season now but the first 2 games are really rough: Arsenal at WHL and Southampton away. It's better I develop my approach and thinkings as soon as I can. Haha

Cheers for your help. Truly appreciate this :)

Have a look at this version as a Controlbased version where we stretch their defense. This is also a versions where we move the ball swiftly by using lots of movement

Have a look at this version as a Controlbased version where we stretch their defense. This is also a versions where we move the ball swiftly by using lots of movement
may i have and the other version?(This is also a versions where we move the ball swiftly by using lots of movement):)

Cheers TBH, only see this now. Will ofc download that. Much appreciated your patience and kindness :)
Was occupied preparing my team during pre season and 1st match. And what a match!

Was a bit concerned due to the team coming from 2 draws at pre season and meet Arsenal in the first league game. But the morale was high due to be a derby (must win game) and my pre match press-conference.
I decided to go with my/our high press system. If I play the control system, their passers will kill my high d-line and make me suffer. The cautious one didn't make me sense for now because I was playing at home and really need to deny them space.

And this was the result (I know you're an Arsenal fan, so sorry for this haha):

View attachment 453436View attachment 453435View attachment 453437

Amazing! Their first shot at my goal was at 60th minute and it was from a corner. Also we keep deny them space and press in our midfield launching quick through balls at their defense. Opted to select a more tough midfield but with the enough skills to make good decisions and passes. The action zones show me that they have indeed the ball but it was in areas that it wasn't danger.

Thank you again and let's see how this is going (boring game for the Europe League and a very tough match at St.Mary's)