The Big Journey - Klippybo's Journeyman Career

• Thread starter Thread starter Klippybo
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 173
  • Views Views 42K
images

JANUARY

Copa del Rey QF 1st Leg
Athletic Bilbao 4 (Goikoetxea 36, 52, 90pen, De Marcos 59)
Atletico Madrid 1 (Pedro Obiang 1)

A great result this and should see us through into the semis.

--

Athletic Bilbao 3 (De Marcos 25, 38, Susaeta 63)

Deportivo La Coruna 1 (Sola 50)

Another win and I am still unbeaten. San Jose had a goal disallowed.

--

Copa del Rey QF 2nd Leg
Atletico Madrid 3 (Diego Costa 16, 44, Finnbogason 69)
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Zubizarreta 46)
(Athletic Bilbao win 5-4 on aggregate)

I took a risk and rested all of my first picks and we made it through - just! So my first defeat at Bilbao ends up being a victory lol

--

Athletic Bilbao 6 (Susaeta 31, 66, Seoane og59, San Jose 68, Muniain 79, 84)
Real Madrid 1 (Higuain 38)

UNBELIEVABLE!!!! This is what happens when I take charge of Bilbao!!! We absolutely slaughtered them and even had Xabi Alonso sent-off after 58min with the scores at 1-1. They had an untried (and rubbish) 16y/o keeper in goal who scored an OG for us but it was still a great performance and result.

--

Copa del Rey SF 1st Leg

Athletic Bilbao 3 (Goikoetxea 8, 90, Susaeta 62)
Villarreal 1 (Mario 37)

Goikoetxea missed a penalty here unfortunately. He is on fire at the moment!

--

Espanyol 0
Athletic Bilbao 0

After all the excitement in the past few games this was quite a non-event.

--

Copa del Rey SF 2nd Leg
Villarreal 3 (Juan Carlos 19, 42, Pizarro 34)
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Susaeta 6, De Marcos 119)
(AET, Athletic Bilbao win 5-4 on aggregate)

Several of my players were a booking away from missing the final so I rested them all here. It was however almost a major mistake. Ironically enough we have set the record for goals conceded in the competition - 17!!!

--

SUMMARY

An unbelievable month with all sorts happening. Be it thumping the sides from Madrid, reaching a cup final or breaking the club transfer record twice! It all happened in a mad 4 weeks.

The results you can see above so I will move straight on to the players brought in. I had arranged several deals already. I admit to cheating slightly for the first one as when I knew I was leaving Newcastle I transfer listed Jorge Zubizarreta and I picked him up for a bargain £550,000. I then shelled out £2.5m to Mallorca for Jose Manuel Gutierrez, £1.2m to Osasuna for Benat Larrinaga and £675,000 to Elche for young keeper Moha. Finally on loan (to make him Basque) I brought in Wilson off of Valencia.
View attachment 359205View attachment 359206View attachment 359207View attachment 359208
View attachment 359213

I had also agreed to break the club record transfer fee paid by signing Jose from Sevilla for £10m. This 16y/o will be world class I am sure and along with Zubizarreta and Larrinaga will go straight into the first team squad.
View attachment 359209

Finally I shelled out a whopping £31m to bring Javi Martinez back to the club from Bayern Munich. He requested a transfer and I was shocked to see him interested in joining us so I snapped him up ASAP and he made his debut in the thrashing of Real Madrid.
View attachment 359210

There were departures though. Anders Iturraspe left for Sevilla for £3.3m and Raul Garcia left to go to Espanyol for £1.5m while Toquero and Saborit left for a total of £1.5m so I didnt rake in much really.

Finally, we are still in the hunt for that Champions League spot and I am now fluent in Spanish. I havent got to the basic level of Japanese yet though - I will leave that post after the World Cup next summer so I better get fluent by then!

View attachment 359211

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

MARKEL SUSAETA
View attachment 359212

--

images

JAPAN

Friendly

Wales 4 (Cassidy 3, 14, Bale 30, Ledley 58)
Japan 3 (Hamamoto 50, 74, Kagawa 60)

I was livid at half-time and we made it respectable but I am still disappointed.

images

FEBRUARY

Athletic Bilbao 3 (De Marcos 11, Muniain 32, Balenziaga 33)
Rayo Vallecano 2 (Acosta 59, Costanzo 70)

We were cruising here and then took the foot off the pedal. Still a win is a win!

--

Athletic Bilbao 2 (Laporte 5, Susaeta 79)

Barcelona 0

Jeezo. I am beginning to think we would be challenging for the title if I had arrived earlier. Another fantastic result.

--

Real Valladolid 1 (Joselu 63)
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Muniain 36, Goikoetxea 56, 87)

That is 15 goals in 20 games for Aitor Goikoetxea. Not bad.

--

Athletic Bilbao 3 (Goikoetxea 49, Laporte 63, Zubizarreta 87)
Racing Santander 2 (Luque 34, Roger 83)

Racing will probably go down so I was pretty **** annoyed to be behind at half-time but not as annoyed as I was when they made it 2-2 but fortunately we got a late winner.

--

Mallorca 0

Athletic Bilbao 3 (Javi Martinez 35, Goikoetxea 42, De Marcos 45)

It seems that we score 3 goals in a game quite often. De Marcos has been really impressive, his stats arent amazing but he is so consistant.

--

SUMMARY

The season keeps on getting better as this month we kept our unbeaten run going since I have been in charge (2 defeats in cup games where we went through anyway apart) and we even beat Barcelona too.

I must admit I am missing being involved in European football but that is only a temporary measure. If we keep this run going we should nail down a Champions League place.

As for Newcastle, they lost in the Capital One Cup final on penalties to Arsenal but are in the quarter-finals in the Champions League after defeating Anderlecht.

View attachment 359265

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
AITOR GOIKOETXEA

View attachment 359264

images

MARCH

Athletic Bilbao 3 (Goikoetxea 8, De Marcos 42, Bravo og47)
Real Sociedad 0

This is of course the big derby for Bilbao and we came out on top as our run continues. We were 3-0 up when they had 2 men sent-off so I am slightly disappointed not to have scored more.

--

Celta Vigo 0
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Goikoetxea 24, De Marcos 75)

Celta Vigo were challenging for a Champions League spot but that pipedream is over for them now. Etxeberria got injured and is out for the rest of the season though.

--

Sevilla 1 (Rochina 78)
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Goikoetxea 53)

This was a must win game for Sevilla but we contained them quite well and maintain our 5pt lead over them.

--

Athletic Bilbao 3 (Goikoetxea 30, De Marcos 43, Zubizarreta 80)
Valencia 2 (Castillo 67, Soldado 85)

This win takes us 1pt behind Valencia. It is so tight at the top - even the goal difference is similar but it goes down to head to head records.

--

SUMMARY

This month was a toughie but we came through unscathed and all of a sudden we are in the title race!!! We are still unbeaten in the league since I took charge in October which is quite something and long may it continue. This month we played our big derby match and 3 teams immediately around us so to keep our unbeaten run going is quite remarkable.

I have already began planning for next season. Iraizoz and Xabi Alonso have been told they will be released while Ibai Gomez and Ekiza are off to play in Italy.

And of course there was the youth intake!!! No Aitor's were to be found. There was a 4.5 star player but I dont think he will be that great to be honest.

Finally regarding Newcastle, last month I mentioned they got to the Champions League quarter-finals and looking at the draw they have a great chance of winning it. They play Valencia and the other 6 teams are Juventus, PSG, Dortmund, Benfica, Chelsea and Real Madrid. Aberdeen are 4pts behind Celtic in the league but they did win the league cup.

View attachment 359275

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
OSCAR DE MARCOS

View attachment 359271

--

images

JAPAN

FIFA World Cup Quals Group A
Oman 1 (Said Shenan 22)
Japan 2 (Kagawa 1, Honda 77)

This win secures qualification for next years World Cup - easy peasy.

View attachment 359270

--

Friendly

Russia 2 (Zharov 27, Smolov 56)
Japan 2 (Hamamoto 49, Kagawa 55)

I couldnt be arsed playing this game so I went on holiday for 1 day.

great story might try something like this myself and see hw i do lol may i ask wat tactic you use and do you change for away games just out of intrest

Finally caught up and all I can say is...

WHAT A STORY!!!!!

images

APRIL

Athletic Bilbao 3 (Laporte 34, Goikoetxea 39, De Marcos 56)
Real Betis 2 (Coentrao 22, Kadlec 82)

Another win as the charge keeps going. Vadillo had a late goal disallowed for them. 3-2 seems to be our favourite score.

--

Real Zaragoza 1 (Musona 83)

Athletic Bilbao 2 (Goikoetxea 48, De Marcos 52)

Goikoetxea has now scored in every one of our last 9 games.

--

Getafe 0
Athletic Bilbao 0

I suppose we cant win every game. Still disappointing though.

--

Athletic Bilbao 1 (Goikoetxea 35)

Villarreal 0

The goals have dried up but 2 clean sheets is something new and different!

--

Athletic Bilbao 2 (Goikoetxea 4, Laporte 24)
Granada 1 (Romeu 66)

We are now 3rd in the table 4pts behind Real Madrid. Our last game of the season? Real Madrid away!

--

Atletico Madrid 1 (Vargas 54)
Athletic Bilbao 4 (Muniain 15, 52, De Marcos 33, Milic og41)

As usual a team from Madrid gets a thrashing. We only had 6 shots - a great performance! We have now qualified for the Champions League.

--

SUMMARY

Another unbeaten month!! We really are overachieving here. My first choice eleven has 3 great players (Javi Martinez, Muniain and Herrera) and the rest are just half decent but it seems that my tactic suits them down to the ground. Goikoetxea has been immense as has Laporte.

However I have found a 16y/o Spaniard who I think will be immense but I cant afford him and he will turn 17 soon. Hopefully I will get next seasons budget before his birthday.

So as we enter the final month of the season we will play in the Spanish Cup final and we have a slim chance of claiming the title. If we do nick it it will be one of my best FM achievements.

Finally, Newcastle lost their Champions League semi to PSG on penalties (remember under my management we topped the group ahead of them) and will play Dortmund in the final. I have no doubts whatsoever that if given the same draw I would have won the cup but hey ho.

View attachment 359457

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

AYMERIC LAPORTE
View attachment 359467

Last edited:
Just Caught Up.....Absolutely Brilliant as Always is with you Klippybo.....Well Done....

You and Bilbao is like Keegan at Newcastle. The fans crave you at the club. Results instantly improved and the thread like the club has come alive. Now where's a stupid Spurs supporting, dodgy gear flogging muppet of a chairman to make it realistic

images

MAY - END OF SEASON

Deportivo La Coruna 0
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Goikoetxea 90pen)

A last minute penalty keeps our feint title hopes alive. Herrera got injured and is out for 4 months.

--

Athletic Bilbao 4 (Diez 17, 28, 45, Garde 81)
Real Murcia 0

I rested everyone for the cup final as I figured if we mucked up Madrid would win anyway. BUT WE DIDNT AND THEY DREW!!!!! Garde is the 4.5 rated regen I got in the intake.

--

Copa del Rey Final
Barcelona 1 (Messi 50)
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Goikoetxea 1, San Jose 41, De Marcos 63)

CUP WINNERS!!! No doubt resting my players 3 days earlier gave me an advantage as Barca tired early on and suffered a couple of injuries. Having said that we were magnificent once again. All I ask is for 1 more performance.

--

LAST DAY OF THE SEASON - THE TITLE DECIDER!!!!!

[TABLE="width: 500"]
[TR]
[TD]TEAM
[/TD]
[TD]P
[/TD]
[TD]W
[/TD]
[TD]D
[/TD]
[TD]L
[/TD]
[TD]F
[/TD]
[TD]A
[/TD]
[TD]GD
[/TD]
[TD]PTS
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Real Madrid
[/TD]
[TD]37
[/TD]
[TD]26
[/TD]
[TD]5
[/TD]
[TD]6
[/TD]
[TD]81
[/TD]
[TD]36
[/TD]
[TD]+45
[/TD]
[TD]83
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Barcelona
[/TD]
[TD]37
[/TD]
[TD]26
[/TD]
[TD]4
[/TD]
[TD]7
[/TD]
[TD]79
[/TD]
[TD]29
[/TD]
[TD]+50
[/TD]
[TD]82
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]ATHLETIC BILBAO
[/TD]
[TD]37
[/TD]
[TD]25
[/TD]
[TD]6
[/TD]
[TD]6
[/TD]
[TD]80
[/TD]
[TD]40
[/TD]
[TD]+40
[/TD]
[TD]81
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Real Madrid v Athletic Bilbao
Atletico Madrid v Barcelona

12min - Daniele De Rossi sent off for Real Madrid!!!
32min - Atletico Madrid 0-1 Barcelona (Deulofeu)
53min - Atletico Madrid 0-2 Barcelona (Messi)
FULL TIME

Real Madrid 0

Athletic Bilbao 0

Thank god Barca won. If they had lost or drew and we couldnt have taken advantage of playing nearly the whole match against 10 men I would have cried. 3rd place it is.

--

SUMMARY

An unbelievable season. To win the cup and so nearly ****** the title at the death was quite something. In the 25 league games I managed I won 20 and drew 5.

In a perverse sort of way I am glad we didnt win the title as that would have meant I would probably have left for pastures new.

Regarding my first team squad it certainly needs strengthening - I cant possibly expect my players to perform such miracles again. But we shall see!!!!

--

FINAL LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 359580

FIRST TEAM SQUAD

View attachment 359562

PLAYER OF THE SEASON
MARKEL SUSAETA

View attachment 359563

YOUNG PLAYER OF THE SEASON
AITOR GOIKOETXEA

View attachment 359567

AWARDS

Young Player of the Year: Aitor Goikoetxea
Team of the Season: Aymeric Laporte (Markel Susaeta, Oscar De Marcos)

OTHER NEWS

Dortmund won the Champions League, Aberdeen came 2nd, Newcastle 3rd.

Last edited:
You and Bilbao is like Keegan at Newcastle. The fans crave you at the club. Results instantly improved and the thread like the club has come alive. Now where's a stupid Spurs supporting, dodgy gear flogging muppet of a chairman to make it realistic

Lol - the thread gets plenty of views, maybe not so much comments but hey ho. I will soldier on. Enjoying the save and having success so all is good. To be fair I dont play FM as much as I used to anyway

Great end to the season mate, reckon with a few decent signings league could be yours next year.

I go away for a week and it's all gone crazy here! Great job at Newcastle and like it's been said was only a matter of time before you found yourself at Bilbao again. Looking good in that league too! Keep up the good work. Aitor needs to pop his head up again! Haha.

images

JAPAN

Friendly
Japan 3 (Hamamoto 1, 90, Kiyotake 41)
Kuwait 2 (Al-Kharafi 23, 64)

--

FIFA World Cup Quals Group A

Japan 3 (Yasuda 12, Miyaichi 45, Hamamoto 56)
Uzbekistan 1 (Axmadov 64)

--

Friendly

Japan 4 (Hamamoto 11, 34, 58, Kagawa 40)

North Korea 0

--

EAST ASIAN CUP

China 0
Japan 2 (Hamamoto 48, Kiyotake 56)

--

Japan 1 (Hamamoto 90)
Australia 0

--

South Korea 1 (Son Henug-Min 76)
Japan 4 (Yasuda 12, Totsuka 45, Kiyotake 46, Otsu 64)

THE TROPHY IS OURS!!!!!

I should add that some of my Japanese players have been on the move. Kagawa to Newcastle for £14m, Hamamoto to Chelsea (£16m), Seki to Bayern Munich (£17.25m), Sato to Wigan (£1.4m) and Fukushima to Besiktas (£2.6m).

images

KRIS STUART LEAVES JAPAN TO TAKE OVER SENEGAL

Once the Asian Cup was won I checked my profile and discovered I was now fluent in Japanese so I checked the job centre and both Norway and Senegal were after new managers. I chose Senegal because they are in a strong position to qualify for next years World Cup.

Time to learn French!

images

PRE-SEASON & AUGUST

Off we go again!!!!!

PLAYERS IN
Not much was happening on this front - regens all the way!!! I paid £7.5m to keep Wilson here permanently after his loan from Valencia and I gave Juventus £2m for Juan Alberto. The rest came in for £2.5m including 2 loans. Oier Olazabal was a free transfer signing from Barcelona.
View attachment 360282View attachment 360283View attachment 360284
View attachment 360285View attachment 360286View attachment 360287View attachment 360288View attachment 360289View attachment 360290

PLAYERS OUT
I took in £6m. Ibai Gomez and Ekiza were already on their way to Italy while Balenziaga left to go to Nice for £1.8m. The only other departures were Xabi Alonso and Iraizoz on free transfers.

PRE-SEASON SUMMARY

One thing that is for certain - my squad is much weaker than last season. I only have one striker in the squad (Goikoetxea) and only 18 players in my first team squad screen!
View attachment 360291
So as you can see I am pretty much putting all my eggs into one basket, crossing all my fingers and hoping for no major injuries. I dont really think I can win the title but if this fast-tracks the development of my youngsters then it will be worth it.

To be fair to do well at Bilbao it is all about developing youngsters but maybe not chucking them in quite so young!

--

Deportivo La Coruna 1 (Toquero 80)
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Susaeta 18, De Marcos 19, 50)

I didnt want any injuries but I was without Muniain and Herrera right from the off. I have decided to make Wilson my first choice LB.

--

Spanish Super Cup Final 1st Leg

Athletic Bilbao 1 (Goikoetxea 67pen)
Barcelona 1 (Messi 15)

We completely outplayed Barca here and should have scored 3 or 4 at least. Messi missed a penalty for them though. 16y/o Elizondo made his debut.

--

Athletic Bilbao 5 (Susaeta 23, De Marcos 51, Goikoetxea 60, De la Torre 69, Laporte 81)

Celta Vigo 1 (Caique 68)

17y/o Ioritz Gil was the debutant here and he got two assists while 16y/o De la Torre also made his debut and scored.

--

Spanish Super Cup Final 2nd Leg

Barcelona 3 (Lewandowski 52, 63, Messi 74)
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Goikoetxea 61)
(Barcelona won 4-2 on aggregate)

Meh!

--

SUMMARY

A decent enough start to the season I suppose. Lots of youngsters made their debuts and we performed admirably against Barcelona.

Regarding the transfer window, Neymar, Nani and Szceszny joined Barcelona in the headline deals.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
MARKEL SUSAETA
View attachment 360323

--

images

SENEGAL

Friendly

Slovakia 3 (Stoch 8, Kubik 78, Hamsik 82)
Senegal 3 (Sow 17, Kara 67, Mane 84)

Back