The Celtic Match Thread

Really? You think Celtic wouldn't get promoted from the championship, and you're saying we're arrogant? Didn't Newcastle absoloutely walk it a couple of years ago?

Newcastle were an established premier league side, with money you could only dream of, and exceptionally good players for that league, **** they had very good players my PL standards, they had mostly top 6 level players. Most of the relegated side are playing today. That was the best a team has ever done at that level. They are an exception to the rule. Promotion has always been notoriously unpredictable in the Championship.

Manchester United is one of the biggest clubs in the world in terms of global marketing and commercial value. Only Real Madrid get more revenue. Hundreds and hundreds of Millions of people watch them around the globe. Their financial and commercial value is virtually unmatched. Celtic's global marketing and commercial appeal doesn't even being to get anywhere near that. If it did you wouldnt even need to leave the SPL. You absolutely cannot compare the two. Celtics global financial appeal isnt actually all that high, at all, hence the paltry TV deals at the moment, though you are set for a bigger one, thankfully.

I'm not saying it, Deloitte (who advised Scudamore prior to the 2009 vote) are saying it.

Obviously we arent as big as Manchester United but we are a lot bigger than you're making out. I made the United comparison to highlight the benefits of having a big club in the league but you obviously are still not even contemplating accepting anything other than Celtic aren't as big as Wigan because we play in Scotland. Celtic are one of the biggest clubs in the world regarding fan base, a lot bigger than most Premier League clubs. You obviously still don't realise how significant the Sky deal in England is. The Sky deal is the only thing seperating Celtic from English clubs financially. I'm sure you remember Liverpool trying to sell their TV rights individually a few months ago was unsuccessful? That's why our TV deal is so poor, it's the SPL, not Celtic.

Newcastle were an established premier league side, with money you could only dream of, and exceptionally good players for that league, **** they had very good players my PL standards, they had mostly top 6 level players. Most of the relegated side are playing today. That was the best a team has ever done at that level. They are an exception to the rule. Promotion has always been notoriously unpredictable in the Championship.

Pretty much what I mentioned before. Managers who are in the championship, or who have managed a club who has been promoted, has said it's the hardest league they've ever managed in.

No I don't. No team is guaranteed instant promotion-why should Celtic be guaranteed instant promotion? They haven't even earned the right to be in the Championship for a start. It would be me being an Everton fan, expecting instant success in the Scottish Premiership. Obviously hypothetical-but also ludicrous and disrespectful to other clubs

I'm sure most Everton fans would expect to challenge for, if not win the SPL title.

At the "why don't you focus on improving your own league" point that keeps coming up (and answered), Celtic themselves have said NOTHING (Zero) about moving to England, and yesterday Peter Lawell backed a 14 team SPL reconstruction.

I'm sure most Everton fans would expect to challenge for, if not win the SPL title.

At the "why don't you focus on improving your own league" point that keeps coming up (and answered), Celtic themselves have said NOTHING (Zero) about moving to England, and yesterday Peter Lawell backed a 14 team SPL reconstruction.

To be honest though, when it comes to Sky money I'd be worried, as Scudamore has already said that Sky could lose out to Al Jeezera when it comes to TV rights. And if in fact Sky does lose out, it will have a lot of implications. Not just for the English league, but also for Scotland

To be honest though, when it comes to Sky money I'd be worried, as Scudamore has already said that Sky could lose out to Al Jeezera when it comes to TV rights. And if in fact Sky does lose out, it will have a lot of implications. Not just for the English league, but also for Scotland

To be honest with you I don't think the Scottish league can get much worse haha.

Obviously we arent as big as Manchester United but we are a lot bigger than you're making out. I made the United comparison to highlight the benefits of having a big club in the league but you obviously are still not even contemplating accepting anything other than Celtic aren't as big as Wigan because we play in Scotland. Celtic are one of the biggest clubs in the world regarding fan base, a lot bigger than most Premier League clubs. You obviously still don't realise how significant the Sky deal in England is. The Sky deal is the only thing seperating Celtic from English clubs financially. I'm sure you remember Liverpool trying to sell their TV rights individually a few months ago was unsuccessful? That's why our TV deal is so poor, it's the SPL, not Celtic.

Oh for gods stop putting words in my mouth. I never said wigan were bigger than Celtic, so that is a load of **** right there.

On the contrary i know exactly how big the deal is. It was United who helped broker than deal.

You cant make that comparison because your financial pull isnt anywhere near as big, even when taking joing the premier league into account, that was the whole point of the reports. its done on the potential, not on where Celtic are now. On a global financial and commercial scale you are not that big.

If your fan base was that big, you would be able to to create a major financial pull from it, without the main TV deal. ie by creating Celtic TV. So either it isnt that big, or your club isnt ulitising that area well enough

And the whole TV deal isnt that clearcut, because the deal is spread, therefore any pull you might have gets negated slightly. For example if United negotiated their own deal they could net 130 million a year, but its not good for the health of the league to do so. The PL is where it is because the clubs protect the league

But the crux of the matter is, no club has a god given right to start where they want. they've got to start where they have to, and earn the right to be where they want to be-just like everybody else. And if they assume they can start at a higher level before anyone else-they do not deserve to be there. Be it Celtic or whoever. Celtic are a professional football club-and should be expected to act like one. If Celtic want to be in the top flight-they should have to start at the bottom and work their way up. If they're as good as they think they are, they should have no worries. I've watched Celtic a few times, and they are pretty much a Championship side and they would do well. But they have to earn that right to be there-just like all the other clubs.

Last edited:

Good, that is what should be happening. I remember where Celtic were 10 years ago with the likes of Henrik Larsson. If Celtic could create a significant benefit, Scudamore would find a way to get youin, he is a greedy *******, any prem team supporter will tell you that.

To be fair, I think if we do move to England we should start at the bottom like you're saying. The link in the news reports was with league one though. Most Celtic fans would be happy with a move to the bottom of the English leagues.

@Mike, Celtic's turnover last year was £52m, and that's without any Champions League/Europa League money and after a hugely unsucessful season with low attendances. Wigan's (for sake of argument) was £46m.

Like I said before though-why desert you're own league? I mean like I've said before, I'm not anti-Celtic, and I'm not anti-Rangers, but surely staying where you are and finding a way to improve you're own league would be far more beneficial? But jump ship to another country? If Celtic or Rangers jumped ship, they'd leave their own countries leagues in a far worse state? I'd hate to see that happen. Has it really come to this-purely for money? If that's the case, then football really is dead and the real fans are going to suffer. Then you have the ripple effects.

Last edited:
To be fair, I think if we do move to England we should start at the bottom like you're saying. The link in the news reports was with league one though. Most Celtic fans would be happy with a move to the bottom of the English leagues.

@Mike, Celtic's turnover last year was £52m, and that's without any Champions League/Europa League money and after a hugely unsucessful season with low attendances. Wigan's (for sake of argument) was £46m.

I never said wigan were a bigger side. Did you read any of what I said?? I said wigan had earned the right to be where they are and who were celtic to come in above them.

For arguments sake, wigan have even smaller attendances than celtic, they are actually a massive struggling club one the overall books because they have high costs, very high costs

Last edited:
Like I said before though-we desert you're own league? I mean like I've said before, I'm not anti-Celtic, and I'm not anti-Rangers, but surely staying where you are and finding a way to improve you're own league would be far more beneficial? But jump ship to another country? If Celtic or Rangers jumped ship, they'd leave their own countries leagues in a far worse state? I'd hate to see that happen. Has it really come to this-purely for money?

There's a lot of hostility between Celtic and most teams in the SPL, and the SFA. That has a big influence on the wanting out of the SPL.

There's a lot of hostility between Celtic and most teams in the SPL, and the SFA. That has a big influence on the wanting out of the SPL.

But, the hostility will transmit between countries leagues because Celtic have jumped ship? I'm not being funny, but if they can't work out their differences, and expect to jump straight into another countries league....it simply will not happen.

It's a sad state of affairs when politics takes precedence over a sport.

With all due respect, that isnt English football's issue. Running away from the problem doesnt solve it.

The only other thing I can think of to say right now, just sums up what I hate about football right now compared to how it used to be. It really does make me sick, and at the same time very sad for the genuine fans out there. It's just incrediby pathetic and petty. I've nothing more to say on this matter as I've done a thread on this before, but it really does make me sad. Football should be about football-a sport, with fans for different clubs. When it comes to a club wanting to go to a different countries league because of hostility between organisations-well, just sums up everything I truly hate about it.

They should talk about it and not **** about it. this is the sort of thing that destroys the sport. pathetic. that's all I have to say on this now. just boils my ****.

I didn't mean Celtic want to leave the SPL because of the hostility, what I meant was most Celtic fans really wouldn't care about the consequences of doing so for Scottish football. Most of the other clubs fans probably would want us to leave anyway, regardless of what it means for their own club, that's how bad it is.

I didn't mean Celtic want to leave the SPL because of the hostility, what I meant was most Celtic fans really wouldn't care about the consequences of doing so for Scottish football. Most of the other clubs fans probably would want us to leave anyway, regardless of what it means for their own club, that's how bad it is.

Then it needs to be sorted, this kind of apathy and self destructiveness gets us nowhere

also Celtic's turnover was 28.4 million? Celtic first half profits up despite drop in turnover | 14 February 2011 | Stock Market Wire

Have some interesting thoughts on celtic, will post them at some point.

Well I might be English, but I want to see Scottish football sorted out because it needs a kick up the goddam ****. I hate seeing Scottish football suffering right now I really do. As a football fan, I want to see Scottish football doing well. But when it's so screwed up, and you see stories about clubs wanting to join the English league it just makes no sense whatsoever-it's so farcical. I want to see Scotland do well as a footballing nation. I'm just incredulous to some fans reactions about not caring about their home nations football. It just defies logic! It really disheartens me a lot. And the way I see it, it's also an insult to past great managers of Scotland