The Celtic Match Thread

Well I might be English, but I want to see Scottish football sorted out because it needs a kick up the goddam ****. I hate seeing Scottish football suffering right now I really do. As a football fan, I want to see Scottish football doing well. But when it's so screwed up, and you see stories about clubs wanting to join the English league it just makes no sense whatsoever-it's so farcical. I want to see Scotland do well as a footballing nation. I'm just incredulous to some fans reactions about not caring about their home nations football. It just defies logic! It really disheartens me a lot. And the way I see it, it's also an insult to past great managers of Scotland

There is a lot of bigotry and hatred in Scottish football and it's not something that's going to be sorted anytime soon. The mentality of most Scottish football fans is that if you don't support Celtic or Rangers you hate them both - and then there is the Old Firm rivalry. Best case scenario the Scottish league improves dramatically and Celtic can become a European force again, but realistically the only way that is going to happen is if Celtic join the English leagues or this Atlantic league idea.

ah right, the figure you have quoted there is Celtic's revenue. This is why Celtic would love a move. 43 million of that is gate money, celtic would get extra tv money of about 50 million per year in the prem, and around 40million commercially. That is a huge leap. But, this isnt reflected for the league. They gain very little from it, Celtic gain a **** of a lot.

There is a lot of bigotry and hatred in Scottish football and it's not something that's going to be sorted anytime soon. The mentality of most Scottish football fans is that if you don't support Celtic or Rangers you hate them both - and then there is the Old Firm rivalry. Best case scenario the Scottish league improves dramatically and Celtic can become a European force again, but realistically the only way that is going to happen is if Celtic join the English leagues or this Atlantic league idea.

Well, ultimately, it's hatred and bigotry that destroys what we love most.

Btw when I mean be quiet I mean about Celtic being in the English League. Besides, Celtic are hardly a big team.

Read all the comments and it all seemed pretty fair, but this one?

The players aren't great admittedly, but the Club is very big at least with worldwide supporters. If your not a United, Newcastle, Liverpool or Arsenal fan, you have no right to call Celtic a small team: at least in terms of fans.

Read all the comments and it all seemed pretty fair, but this one?

The players aren't great admittedly, but the Club is very big at least with worldwide supporters. If your not a United, Newcastle, Liverpool or Arsenal fan, you have no right to call Celtic a small team: at least in terms of fans.

To be fair, he hasnt called them a small team. Its takes more than fans to be a big team. Compared to when you had the likes of Larsson, its difficult to call you a big team, when comparing to other sides around Europe, certainly no minnows. But not exactly big. Best described as a faded giant if anything.

To be fair, he hasnt called them a small team. Its takes more than fans to be a big team. Compared to when you had the likes of Larsson, its difficult to call you a big team, when comparing to other sides around Europe, certainly no minnows. But not exactly big. Best described as a faded giant if anything.

Fair enough, and I could see where both of you were coming from on most of the other posts: so no offence intended.

Give it time, if the support is there then the potential is there, to be big again. As mentioned by AM67 earlier, its good to see Peter Lawell trying to do his bit to help Scottish football, and if we can become a dominant force in that like Rangers were in the 90's then, it should mean more chances of getting CL money.

Hopefully Platini will enforce Financial fair play properly, because if nothing else Celtic are in the black every season, so are prepared for that. So again the potential is there in that respect.

Fair enough, and I could see where both of you were coming from on most of the other posts: so no offence intended.

Give it time, if the support is there then the potential is there, to be big again. As mentioned by AM67 earlier, its good to see Peter Lawell trying to do his bit to help Scottish football, and if we can become a dominant force in that like Rangers were in the 90's then, it should mean more chances of getting CL money.

Hopefully Platini will enforce Financial fair play properly, because if nothing else Celtic are in the black every season, so are prepared for that. So again the potential is there in that respect.

There is a huge amount of scope for change in Scotland. Everyone can see Celtic why would want to leave, just commerically and TV money wise, revenue could increase by 100m a year. But doing so would kill the Scottish league. With Rangers where they are, it is down to Celtic to save the league. Need to use their clout to try and change the make up of the league. The best thing that can happen to Celtic is a good buyer for Rangers. The higher the SPL's profile, the better the TV money, thus better financing for players, better chance of pushing on in europe, better profile, and its an upwards spiral. Agree FFPR is vital to Celtic's progress. But everyone in the league needs to see that strong teams in the SPL is good for everyone. Weak sides dont create growth.

the thing is, Celtic will not improve the league whatsoever. And to say it would make it better because you say Celtic is better than Wigan is ****. You may disagree, but I say it's an insult to Wigan. Why would Celtic be better than Wigan?
They will. It may not be improved massively but they would improve it. This will come across arrogant but how are Celtic not bigger than Wigan? We are bigger in every way even now despite being at a low point in our History.

Besides, Celtic are hardly a big team.

Actually they are.

Thing is, what I don't get is (as has probably been said already), why join another league, instead of making your own better? What's more important-making your own country's league better, or just buggering off to join another purely for your own financial benefits when you're not in any way guaranteed success?
Because we dont care about the SFA/SFL. They dont like us, we dont like them. The organisation is rotten from the top to the bottom.

Newcastle were an established premier league side, with money you could only dream of, and exceptionally good players for that league, **** they had very good players my PL standards, they had mostly top 6 level players. Most of the relegated side are playing today. That was the best a team has ever done at that level. They are an exception to the rule. Promotion has always been notoriously unpredictable in the Championship.
The bold is 100% ****. Newcastles championship team was similar to West Hams at the moment.

The relegated side:

------A young Krul
Beye-Coloccini-Bassong-Enrique
Duff--Guthrie---****---Jonas
-------Owen-Martins

How are most of them playing for Newcastle today? 3 of them are in todays Newcastle first team. 4 at the club. How many of them are top 6 players? 4 being generous.

There championship team:

--------A young Krul
Simpson-Coloccini-Taylor-Enrique
Taylor----Guthrie--Smith---Jonas
--------------Nolan
--------------Carroll

Again where are the top 6 players? That team isnt much better than the current west ham one.

Most Celtic fans would be happy with a move to the bottom of the English leagues.

I wouldnt. **** that, we are Celtic Fc no need to grovel for a place in the lower league of any league.

With all due respect, that isnt English football's issue. Running away from the problem doesnt solve it.

You cant solve the problem when the organisation is rotten to the core.

Should add maxy, check out the deloitte big money league. Celtic are 10th in the match day revenue league, but totally disappear in Commericial revenue and TV money. This ties into why there is little benefit for the PL. They don't bring all that much to the table, but they could triple their own revenue. Thats why they would want him and who can blame them? But then they cant really expect to be welcomed with open arms by the PL, or the 72 teams below them. That's no slight against the club, its just business.

And there is no major business incentive to let them upset the apple cart.

Should add maxy, check out the deloitte big money league. Celtic are 10th in the match day revenue league, but totally disappear in Commericial revenue and TV money. This ties into why there is little benefit for the PL. They don't bring all that much to the table, but they could triple their own revenue. Thats why they would want him and who can blame them? But then they cant really expect to be welcomed with open arms by the PL, or the 72 teams below them. That's no slight against the club, its just business.

And there is no major business incentive to let them upset the apple cart.

I see your point, however I would expect that commercial revenue would increase dramatically if Celtic were in the EPL. A lot of people who are Irish or Scottish (or of descent) instead of supporting say Liverpool or United, might decide to support Celtic if we weren't in such a **** league.

I also know that revenue from shirt sales and other things (probably not TV money) has definitley fallen since the start of the century when they were very high. If I remember rightly, that side of things rivalled clubs like arsenal (not united). So if we get better in Europe (I think Lennon will be the right man to push us forward) then people will start buying shirts again around the world.

(We'd also probably have a chance of getting exceptional managers like Moyes who's a huge celtic fan: but wouldn't want to manage in Scotland, same with Paul Lambert... And Owen Coyle but he isn't doing so well anymore)

I see your point, however I would expect that commercial revenue would increase dramatically if Celtic were in the EPL. A lot of people who are Irish or Scottish (or of descent) instead of supporting say Liverpool or United, might decide to support Celtic if we weren't in such a **** league.

I also know that revenue from shirt sales and other things (probably not TV money) has definitley fallen since the start of the century when they were very high. If I remember rightly, that side of things rivalled clubs like arsenal (not united). So if we get better in Europe (I think Lennon will be the right man to push us forward) then people will start buying shirts again around the world.

(We'd also probably have a chance of getting exceptional managers like Moyes who's a huge celtic fan: but wouldn't want to manage in Scotland, same with Paul Lambert... And Owen Coyle but he isn't doing so well anymore)

Indeed, and all these would make huge money for Celtic, but not sure it would translate in to major gains for the League, certainly not immediately or in the near future. Thats why Scudamore isnt interested. He is a greedy SOB, if Celtic were really good for the league, he'd throw out his moral justifications in a heartbeat to try and get you in.

From the Times:

"Fourteen years after the Good Friday agreement, Rangers are expected to show their defiance- and financial desperation- by selling 43,000 Union Jacks outside Ibrox tomorrow for £2 each.

Celtic Fans will turn up at Ibrox with their tricolours emblazoned with "HMRC" and their banner "we're having a party as R*NG£rS die"

Think tomorrows game, will be one of the most hate fuelled old firm games ever. Hopefully no one will be killed.

On a personal note: think I'll have to watch with the sound off, don't really want to hear the billy boys being sung the whole game.

Not a good game. But no problem, as long as the title is secured next weekend at paradise and we win in the Scottish Cup.

Hail Hail.

First time I got to watch an SPL match on tv and I must say after the interview Neil Lennon gave to Sky Sports he is a complete joke. Blaming the result on him getting sent to the stands. Really can't stand him.

First time I got to watch an SPL match on tv and I must say after the interview Neil Lennon gave to Sky Sports he is a complete joke. Blaming the result on him getting sent to the stands. Really can't stand him.

Oh dear, after all the ***** he's had to put up with over the past two years, still getting ignorant people making comments on the man.

9 men and we still almost got a result

Yeah could have been worse, Sammy played his heart out.

Was thinking maybe the last two results and the performances weren't great because Lennon's been in court all week long. Can't have had as much time training with the team, and must've been pretty stressful. Was glad to hear the fans singing theres only one Neil Lennon even when we were getting beaten.