The Champions League Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter CJACKO11
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 246K
they're actually in some trouble if they dont, Levy has already said the squad is unwieldy and needs trimming anyway, and they could end up losing the bigger players without CL footy

Agree. If they fail to qualify this season then they're practically on the same footing as us when it comes to attracting players in the summer. And in my unbias viewpoint, 8 or 9 times out of 10, without champions league football, players would choose Liverpool over Spurs, and that is what's worrying for them.

Bale has hardly ran them ragged, won a free kicks but never really put them under severe pressure tonight. Real have been fairly comfortable tonight

First half he did, put in several really good balls running past albiol with ease. Second half not so much as whenever he gets the ball he has 3 players sprinting at him to close him down

Great goal by Schalke, Höwedes.

they are a big threat. everyone talks about their poor league form, but in europe they have been dangerous, and that's the form that matters. Raul is going to be a menace

Gotta completely disagree with almost all of that. We've been very good this game but just lacked the finish and should have had a penalty. Bale has ran your team ragged, so I have no clue where you've got that from and Pav has hit 3 or 4 very good shots :S

Proud of them tonight, played really well with Dawson being a rock as per.

Well i think you would agree that you have to up your game to get a good run of results?

Well about Bale...he runs very much but he isn't creating very much IMO. And Pav missing chances...he sometimes shows glimpses of ability. But he should be there playing CL for Spurs.

Dawson is a pretty good defender in his peak. Gotta give credit to Spurs team workrate. But some players lack ability. They got some really skillfull players too.

they're actually in some trouble if they dont, Levy has already said the squad is unwieldy and needs trimming anyway, and they could end up losing the bigger players without CL footy

Look, at the end of the day if we don't qualify again this season, then nobody will be leaving. They've all come out and said it, we will build again and try to qualify, everyone seems to think that without CL we have to cash in? Which is quite frankly ridiculous.

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

Well i think you would agree that you have to up your game to get a good run of results?

Well about Bale...he runs very much but he isn't creating very much IMO. And Pav missing chances...he sometimes shows glimpses of ability. But he should be there playing CL for Spurs.

Dawson is a pretty good defender in his peak.

Lol.

3 or 4 really good chances hes made today, about the same as he usually does.

they are a big threat. everyone talks about their poor league form, but in europe they have been dangerous, and that's the form that matters. Raul is going to be a menace

I was dissapointed by their performance in the league, but I really fancy their team. Plus Raul is a ******* legend.

Look, at the end of the day if we don't qualify again this season, then nobody will be leaving. They've all come out and said it, we will build again and try to qualify, everyone seems to think that without CL we have to cash in? Which is quite frankly ridiculous.

But without Champions League football, you may not be able to keep these players or even get the players you need to make the next step, again especially when you'll be on a level playing field with us.

Just ask Liverpool and Torres. Just ask Ronaldo and United. If Spurs players want to leave, then they'll leave, and without Champions League football would you be able to attract players of the calibre needed to replace them?

I have my doubts.

First half he did, put in several really good balls running past albiol with ease. Second half not so much as whenever he gets the ball he has 3 players sprinting at him to close him down

I mentioned this about 4 months ago, this is where Bale needs to be smarter and add more to his game, he cant just get his head down and run. he needs to use his movement to drift off people, come deep where the fullback doesnt want go, or drift in where his oppo wide might not follow, look to pass inside/cross field pass. this is the test of a great winger

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

I mentioned this about 4 months ago, this is where Bale needs to be smarter and add more to his game, he cant just get his head down and run. he needs to use his movement to drift off people, come deep where the fullback doesnt want go, or drift in where his oppo wide might not follow, look to pass inside/cross field pass. this is the test of a great winger

Im not a Spurs fan. But even if Spurs would qualify..i think they would find it hard to attract those very best players.But i disagree with key players leaving. Spurs look to be a good group of players who enjoy playing for the team. Modric and Bale is the only players i think top teams would be interested in. And Modric seems to be the kind of guy who isn't going for money..he is settled in Spurs and i dont think he is the kind of guy who would put in a transfer request.Dunno about Bale. But Spurs have a tough run of games but they have a chance to qualify. I would never write them off.

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

Lol.

3 or 4 really good chances hes made today, about the same as he usually does.

your own chairman has said this. so no its not ridiculous, its very possible whether you like it or not

But without Champions League football, you may not be able to keep these players or even get the players you need to make the next step, again especially when you'll be on a level playing field with us.

Just ask Liverpool and Torres. Just ask Ronaldo and United. If Spurs players want to leave, then they'll leave, and without Champions League football would you be able to attract players of the calibre needed to replace them?

I have my doubts.

Pretty sure I just answered that in my post. :/

Modric 6 year contract and said yesterday that even if we dont qualify, then theyve all said they will stay and are enjoying it at spurs and we don't have to sell.

There going absolutely nowhere this summer, if we failed to qualify for a succesive season then we could have this discussion but for now...its pointless

Well considering your own chairman said he's looking to trim the squad then I'd assume that players will be leaving. I'd rather take his word than your assurances that 'nobody will be leaving'.

your own chairman has said this. so no its not ridiculous, its very possible whether you like it or not

No, he said that we will be trimming the squad which we will, by selling fringe players such as Bentley. We have no intention of selling Bale or Modric which has been said several times. We know United may want them, but its not on.

Well considering your own chairman said he's looking to trim the squad then I'd assume that players will be leaving. I'd rather take his word than your assurances that 'nobody will be leaving'.

When I said 'Nobody Will be leaving' I meant that nobody we dont want to sell i.e Modric and Bale will be leaving. Players such as Kranjcar and Bentley will probably leave

No, he said that we will be trimming the squad which we will, by selling fringe players such as Bentley. We have no intention of selling Bale or Modric which has been said several times. We know United may want them, but its not on.

sigh never said they would want sell them, i said they could end up losing them. which is true. Every Spurs player has their price, that is how Levy has looked after the club.

Well...can someone imagine Spurs attracting players like Alexis Sanchez or Eden Hazard to Spurs in the summer? Even if they qualify. I cannot.But i dont see why players would be leaving because none of them are real stars expect Bale and Modric. And i think they both enjoy playing there. The rest are avarge or good players.

That was a terrible error from Gomes , that will surely knock his confidence. As the commentator said, " He's showing signs from his early days at Tottenham." . He had a nightmare two legs letting in a goal from Ronaldo at white hart lane and at the bernabeu, both of which he really should have saved (especially tonight's).

Unlucky Spurs, pleased Madrid will progress to the semi's as they are my spainish team;)

Well, I think Spurs will see this as a learning lesson. I think they will qualify for next season's CL, and after learning a lesson (sadly the hard way), they have a chance to go further next season as long as they buy sensibly.

Last edited:
Back