The Champions League Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter CJACKO11
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 246K
Monaco is definitely up there for worst team to ever reach semi-finals (definitely worst to make finals) but at least they were doing well in France. Deportivo was a great team back in the early 00's, not sure what your point is. Sure Liverpool couldn't be good on a consistent basis but their tactics were great for

You asked for worst team to reach semis other than Schalke, i showed one. And Deportivo were not that great in 04. And Liverpool tactics means League and Europe are completely different.

Are you referring to that second leg when Barca had a legitimate goal called offsides in the first half? And as I said numerous times, if ManU wins of course they would deserve it. I just said that Barca has been the best team this season and I'd like to see them win it.

I dont remember any goal ruled out in the first leg. Second leg was just farce. Everyone knows that.

I thought we agreed that beauty is subjective? And often times they didn't play as a team but when they did play well together it was amazing. Even when it was down to individual brilliance, it was the kind of individual brilliance that was great to watch (for me, at least). Guti, Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo...they were much more entertaining than the current crop, as great as Ronaldo, Di Maria, and Ozil are to watch.

Then you followed it up with
They're arguably the most talented squad in the world, if not, they're definitely the second most. But I'm not just talking about talent...I'm referring to how they've played this season. They've been absolutely unstoppable.

Due to the vehemence with which you attacked my posts and some of your comments (Barca just dominates **** teams in a **** league, etc.) you sure made it seem like you disagreed. Also, as I said before, 'by far' is relative...our opinions on the difference between the two probably aren't even that different. I think the real difference is I see them as an historic team...any team that sets a record for points is an historic team, I think that's pretty much indisputable.

You just can't assume whatever you want to. Read what i post. That is what i meant.

Oh really, you don't like League vs. League? Yet you are the one that brings up these debates every time by claiming that Barca aren't so good because their league is easy. I've even said over and over again that I think the Prem is (slightly) better than La Liga, it's not me who is starting these arguments.

Again you are missing the point. I have already told i brought just when people meaninglessly brag about Barca points when last season Madrid were poor in the Europe still got 96 points to finish second. Says lot about other teams in the league.

Come on, you're accusing me of twisting words? Sounds like you didn't even pay attention to my post. I said historical matchups between teams don't matter, and I'm referring to statistics that refer to previous matchups 50 years ago (something people do all the time in all sports, which always bugs me). Mike showed statistics of ManU vs. Barca all time (most of the games were before Ferguson was there), and I said I don't really buy into that statistic (and of course I wasn't trying to make an argument about Barca being bigger/better than ManU historically). It's not even a part of our discussion at all. Obviously if we're comparing recent statistics, such as the amount of teams who have won the league in the past 15-20 years, those are pretty relavent.

Apart from 2 games Mike stats hold good for last 15-20 years. That is when most of the matches were played.

This part of your argument "We know Chelsea, Arsenal, ManUtd can win the league and Liverpool, City and Spurs are not that far" is just wrong. City and Spurs were never, ever, ever going to win the league. When was that ever a possibility? The Prem is a two-horse race, used to be Arsenal and ManU, and then Arsenal became a selling club without ever having a shot at winning the league (this year was the closest they've been in a while, and they're still not ready yet, I think they might do it next year), so now it's ManU and Chelsea every year. This year was a one-horse race with ManU being the only team with a shot at it. Chelsea has been out of the race for most of the year, and Arsenal never had a real chance. Sure, ManU kept slipping up, so Arsenal has been close on points, but we all knew (other than a few biased Arsenal fans) that there was no way in **** they'd actually do it.

You are totally wrong if you think ManCity cannot win the league. Atleast Arsenal, Chelsea, ManCity, ManUtd are in race, how many teams from LaLiga were in contention for the title?

Everyone thinks they're the second best team in the world. They haven't won anything for a while because Barca has been so good and because they weren't that good of a team after Zidane retired. They just became the Galacticos 2.0. Last year was the first year and they were still gelling as a team. They've been together for a while longer now and they've upgraded by getting Ozil, Di Maria, and a great defender in Carvalho. They're arguably the most talented squad in the world, if not, they're definitely the second most. But I'm not just talking about talent...I'm referring to how they've played this season. They've been absolutely unstoppable.

5-0. They play well but not the second best. They should win first before saying anything about how best they are. Games are not won on paper to show the names and say they have the second best team,

No, you were the one who mocked La Liga so when I mentioned Arsenal I was just reminding people of the fact that they are the second best team in England. Schalke is the poorest team to qualify for the Semi finals, name me one team who qualified for the semis that spent that much of the season in the relegation zone...who changed managers that late in the season. I can't think of any teams in recent memory as bad as Schalke to have made it this far in the competition.

You need to pay more attention. Schalke are in 9th position, and in German Cup finals after beating Bayern in semi finals. They had poor start to the campaign, that doesnt mean they are the poorest team ever to make it to Semis. Any team that has scored 7 past Inter needs to be taken seriously.

Inter were inconsistent and often times downright poor in Serie A last season. They only won it because Roma choked on the last day. They are an extremely talented team and well suited for CL football and they won the competition, but they were very lucky Barca had to drive from Barcelona to Milan for the game. Inter and Barca were definitely the two best teams last season, Barca was much, much better throughout the season, but Inter won when it counted. I give the slight edge to Barca, but that's just my opinion, no need to get angry about it.

Inter had to win on the last day.Even if Roma had won Inter victory means they are Serie A champions. Dont know how can Roma choke when Inter won on the last day.
Que the Barca excuses. They were well beaten fairly inspite of Ref helping them when Biscuits played peek a boo..

Also, why the bit in caps about ManU? Where was I ever talking about how well ManU has done in Europe in the past 5 years? They've been very good in Europe in the past 5 years, are you happy? From 07-09 in fact, they were an amazing team. Not quite so much any more now that they lost C. Ronaldo and Tevez and their veterans are getting older. But that's not relevant at all to our discussion, and you're always bringing up ManU's successes as if I don't know or as if I was knocking on them.

You asked for worst team to reach semis other than Schalke, i showed one. And Deportivo were not that great in 04. And Liverpool tactics means League and Europe are completely different.

Liverpool's tactics did not mean the League and Europe are completely different. They mean that they played defensive, counter-attacking football that could sometimes get them results in Europe but couldn't give them the consistency to win the league. I'm not denying the fact that there are some differences between League and Europe, but Liverpool were still a good team in the League, unlike Schalke. I just pointed out the obvious, that never before has a team reached the Semi-finals in the CL that was performing this poorly in the league. Never before has a team this bad made it this far. Monaco was better, at least they did well in France, and I have no idea why you'd even think of bringing up Deportivo...they won the league in the early 00's and were usually in the title race. They were much, much better than Schalke is right now. Even if Schalke is better than Monaco (which I don't agree with), than Schalke is the second worst team to make the semi-finals.

I dont remember any goal ruled out in the first leg. Second leg was just farce. Everyone knows that.

Barca had a legitimate goal called offsides in the first half of the second leg. At the end, there were a couple of controversial calls. One of the handballs and one of the penalties could have gone either way. But it would be ridiculous to call it a 'farce.' The only people that do are bitter Chelsea fans and the occasional Barca hater. I watched the game with a big group of soccer fans (all were neutrals) and no one thought the reffing was that bad.

Then you followed it up with
They're arguably the most talented squad in the world, if not, they're definitely the second most. But I'm not just talking about talent...I'm referring to how they've played this season. They've been absolutely unstoppable.

They've been unstoppable...what does that have to with how attractive their football is? They play a fairly attractive game, but it's not out of the ordinary for Spain/Real Madrid standards.

You just can't assume whatever you want to. Read what i post. That is what i meant.

But you're not clear. In your first post you didn't say you thought Barca was the best team. Since you were disagreeing with me, it was very easy to assume that you disagreed with that.

Again you are missing the point. I have already told i brought just when people meaninglessly brag about Barca points when last season Madrid were poor in the Europe still got 96 points to finish second. Says lot about other teams in the league.

No I'm not missing the point. Every time someone brings up a Spanish team's success you counter it with "Well they did it in a weak league." How is that not league vs. league? I can't think of how else you could provoke that discussion. ManU didn't even have a serious title challenger this season because none of the other Prem teams were very good...but do you see me going around and mentioning this every time ManU's success is brought up? Would I respond to ManU posters when they stated an obvious fact (that ManU won the title) by telling them their title was 'meaningless?' How is Barca's success "meaningless?" That's absolutely horseshit. They're about to set a points record in an historically great league, which was the best league in the world for many years in the 00's and is now the second best. How is that "meaningless?" It's statements like these that are so biased it's not even funny. You can't claim that Barca's season hasn't been phenomenal if you want people to not think you're ridiculously biased. Your Madrid example is also a poor one. That was the first year of the galacticos, no one thought they would do that well. They did choke in the knockout rounds (to a good team who matches up well against them), which is not surprisingly, that is very characteristic of Madrid in the last few years, who always chokes. But that doesn't prove anything about La Liga or have anything to do with Barca.

Apart from 2 games Mike stats hold good for last 15-20 years. That is when most of the matches were played.

You're way off topic. I wasn't trying to make any statements about Barca vs. ManU historically. I made the claim that ManU were underdogs, and Mike countered it with the historical statistics between the teams. I just brought up the fact that those were different teams. Barca was very poor for many years in the 90's and 00's, but that has little to do with right now. The Prem vs. La Liga statistics were brought up as part of a different point, to counter the ignorant notion that La Liga is always a two-horse race (and that the Prem isn't).

You are totally wrong if you think ManCity cannot win the league. Atleast Arsenal, Chelsea, ManCity, ManUtd are in race, how many teams from LaLiga were in contention for the title?

Are you serious? ManCity winning the league? There was no way in **** that was ever going to happen. ManCity probably won't even qualify for Europe. Arsenal and Chelsea were never in the league race either (Chelsea was at the very beginning of the season, which was very surprising, but I think we all suspected it wouldn't last, and they were out of the title race by Decemberish). The Prem was a one-horse race this year, at least La Liga had two teams challenging for the title. I could bring up the other teams as well, like Valencia and Villarreal, but Barca and Real have been so amazing this year there is a big gap between their point totals. The difference is that in the Prem, ManU hasn't been that dominant, so the 3rd and 4th best teams aren't as far behind as Valencia and Villa are.

5-0. They play well but not the second best. They should win first before saying anything about how best they are. Games are not won on paper to show the names and say they have the second best team,

I never said they were the best, I said they were the second best. They have had the second best season out of any team in the top 5 leagues in the world. They have arguably the best squad, if not, the second best. Most people think they're the second best team in the world, other than some ManU fans.

You need to pay more attention. Schalke are in 9th position, and in German Cup finals after beating Bayern in semi finals. They had poor start to the campaign, that doesnt mean they are the poorest team ever to make it to Semis. Any team that has scored 7 past Inter needs to be taken seriously.

Schalke recently moved up to 9th, though they were 15th a couple of weeks ago. You could only provide two guesses as to teams worse than Schalke, one of which (Deportivo) was no where close to being true. The other (Monaco) was doing much better in the league. As far as Inter goes, they are very, very poorly coached, their defense is **** without their starting CB's (Chivu as a CB? it was a total disaster). Schalke's performance had much, much more to do with terrible Inter defending (I mean the own goal? come on) than Schalke being a good team. I'm not trying to knock their performance, they played a good game, but my only point is the obvious one that everyone is shocked they are in the semis and they have no chance in **** at beating ManU. If Schalke advances to the final I will do cartwheels around my apartment, shouting "All hail King Sunil!" and put it on youtube. Deal?

Inter had to win on the last day.Even if Roma had won Inter victory means they are Serie A champions. Dont know how can Roma choke when Inter won on the last day.

Inter had little competition. Last year, Serie A didn't have any very strong teams other than Inter. AC Milan was poorly coached, Juve was bad, and it's not like Roma is a super-talented team. Even though Inter's squad is absolutely stacked they still played like **** most of the season in Serie A. I had Fox Soccer Channel and they were on TV all of the time and they rarely played well. Barca, however, was phenomenal last season consistently throughout the year. The two best teams in the world last year were definitely Inter and Barca. Barca was amazing throughout the season and set the record for points in La Liga if I'm not mistaken. Inter was poor in the league despite their talent and won it on the final day. They did take the Champions League, but they had a big advantage on Barca in the first leg. So while I won't get upset at you claiming that Inter was the best team in the world last season, you can't get upset at me for claiming Barca was the best. Inter won when it counted, but Barca was the best team consistently. Who was better? It's tough to say, but you can't get mad at me saying Barca was better.

Que the Barca excuses. They were well beaten fairly inspite of Ref helping them when Biscuits played peek a boo..

They weren't well-beaten. They were in the first leg, but they had to drive from Barca to ******* Milan. Have you ever driven all the way across Europe? It's not easy. Also, the ref comments are funny, as it's not like ManU has never had any help from the officials.

Overall you haven't even disagreed with my main points, you've just quibbled about a few minor comments I've made. Barca has had an historic season. Fact. They are the best team in the world right now. Fact. If they make the final this year, ManU will beat them. Fact. When they don't win the final, they will still be remembered as one of the all-time great teams. Fact. Arsenal's invincibles are still remembered as a great team even though they didn't win the Champions League that season, or ever for that matter. And back in 03-04, no one outside of England thought the Prem was the best league in the world. Do people ever knock the Invincibles for playing in a "**** league?" Do we not think of them as an historic team becuase they didn't win the Champions League that season? No and no. But you constantly rip on Barca and Real Madrid for their amazing seasons as if they were playing in the MLS (and then claim you're not trying to start a league vs. league debate). The fact is there are two historically great teams in La Liga this season, and when ManU win the treble (I guess there is a small chance they won't if R. Madrid makes the final), they will be remembered as the scrappy, hard-working team who had the best coaching and won two titles in England because of no competition and won in the Champions League when it counted (and had home-field advantage in the final). But people will remember that the ManU teams from 07-09 were better than this one and they will probably remember Barca more than this ManU treble winning team. Barca will go down in history as one of the all-time great teams who simply choked in the Champions League that year, similar to the Invincibles.

@curtis290
Yes, i was a bit nervous at home, so accidentally I transferred my nervousness to the keyboard and my post didn't come out the way it should have.
Schalke haven't been the best in the league this season nor the past few seasons, they have been a bit underperforming. They aren't favourites against United. I hope they pass through yes, I actually am hoping they win the Champions League.

But one thing i'll have to say to you, is this.
You say you don't want to play down their performance against Inter, but that's what you have been doing for the past two-three pages. Not only playing down their performance against Inter which was magnificent, but basically also every one of their performances in the champions league in this season.

@curtis290
Yes, i was a bit nervous at home, so accidentally I transferred my nervousness to the keyboard and my post didn't come out the way it should have.
Schalke haven't been the best in the league this season nor the past few seasons, they have been a bit underperforming. They aren't favourites against United. I hope they pass through yes, I actually am hoping they win the Champions League.

You say you don't want to play down their performance against Inter, but that's what you have been doing for the past two-three pages. Not only playing down their performance against Inter which was magnificent, but basically also every one of their performances in the champions league in this season.

have to agree with this, Schalke arent doing well in the Bundesliga, but that is not where we face them, we face then in the CL where they are confident, and a real threat. While i would say United are favourites, the tie is much closer than people think. And never underestimate any side containing Raul, living legend.

Defo, Raul is a match changer. If he gets into the box with the ball there's a 50/50 chance of him putting it away. It only takes a mistake, a stroke of genius or even the most basic of long balls that catches a defender on his back foot, for the guy to take full advantage of it.

ORLY. Don't be a hypocrite, will you. Refs screw up for everyone, and to be fair, it's not like you guys haven't been "helped by referees"...

Oh, and btw...

YouTube - Gol de Messi.FINAL CHAMPIONS LEAGUE (2-0)

Choke on it.

Totally random post. I can post Scholsey beauty that booted Barca out of champions league. Still not getting what was the point of that video.

@curtis290

have to agree with this, Schalke arent doing well in the Bundesliga, but that is not where we face them, we face then in the CL where they are confident, and a real threat. While i would say United are favourites, the tie is much closer than people think. And never underestimate any side containing Raul, living legend.

I don't think it will be a blowout or anything and I'm not denying the fact that they will be playing at their best and could threaten most teams, but it's ManU we're talking about. In the first two rounds, Schalke clearly came out from under the radar and shocked two teams who thought they'd gotten an easy draw. This certainly won't happen to ManU because it's now the semi-finals, and of course ManU isn't the type of team to choke right at the end like that. And I think Schalke matches up well against a team like Inter, Barca, Arsena, R. Madrid, etc. l but not ManU. In fact, if it were any of those first four, I'd say Schalke would have a decent chance of advancing if they could reproduce their best performances this season. Not against ManU though. I'm not sure of the statistics, but it seems that German teams usually struggle against the English teams (last 5-10 seasons). If Schalke goes out and plays attacking German football they'll get destroyed on the counter. But they can't defend well enough to sit back and play defensively either, allowing ManU to attack and attack will result in a goalfest. Schalke an go out and beat teams who are less fit and athletic and play at a slower pace (Valencia, Inter) but ManU isn't that type of team. The point is if Schalke beat ManU than it would be one of the biggest upsets in the history of the Champions League.

I dont know whether you are trying very hard to jinx us, fact is we have never won the tie against german club in the knock out round. So it is not as easy as people think, German clubs are known for their fighting spirit, take them lightly another Inter like embarrassment is on cards.

@curtis 290
True, it would be an upset, a major one probably. But in the past few years, United didn't do well against german teams in the knockout round (i.e. Bayern Munchen last season), as sunilvk7 said.

Anyway, it will be a interesting match. I am guessing Vidić and Ferdinand (if I've made a mistake on who's going to be the 2 central def. then I apologize to you UTD fans) will be guarding Raul heavily which will allow Edu some space if Edu plays or Gavranovic if he plays, or even if somehow Huntelaar recovers by then.

If I am mistaken, and United defenders don't always mark Raul tightly, I can certainly say that he will get at least 2 100% chances, and he probably will score at least one of the two. This might be me being a bit favoritive towards Raul & Schalke, or it might just be me guessing or even a fact. What is it really, we'll see next week.

I still hope Schalke goes all the way to the final and wins it the same way you United fans hope that for United.

Cheers mates and good luck to both sides in the encounter next week and the week after :)

Found this in Redcafe.

Manchester United's away from since 3-0 loss to Milan.

1. Sporting Lisbon 0 - 1 Manchester United (Group Stage)
2. Dynamo Kiev 2 - 4 Manchester United (Group Stage)
3. Roma 1 - 1 Manchester United (Group Stage)
4. Lyon 1 - 1 Manchester United (Last 16)
5. Roma 0 - 2 Manchester United (Quarter-Final)
6. Barcelona 0 - 0 Manchester United (Semi-Final)
7. Aalborg 0 - 3 Manchester United (Group Stage)
8. Celtic 1 - 1 Manchester United (Group Stage)
9. Villarreal 0 - 0 Manchester United (Group Stage)
10.Inter Milan 0 - 0 Manchester United (Last 16)
11.Porto 0 - 1 Manchester United (Quarter-Final)
12.Arsenal 1 - 3 Manchester United (Semi-Final)
13.Besiktas 0 - 1 Manchester United (Group Stage)
14.CSKA Moscow 0 - 1 Manchester United (Group Stage)
15.Wolfsburg 1 - 3 Manchester United (Group Stage)
16.AC Milan 2 - 3 Manchester United (Last 16)
17.Bayern Munich 2 - 1 Manchester United (Quarter-Final)
18.Valencia 0 - 1 Manchester United (Group Stage)
19.Bursaspor 0 - 3 Manchester United (Group Stage)
20.Rangers 0 - 1 Manchester United (Group Stage)
21.Marseille 0 - 0 Manchester United (Last 16)
22.Chelsea 0 - 1 Manchester United (Quarter Final)

P 22
W 14
D 7
L 1
F 32
A 10

GD + 22

I dont think there is any team which is even close to this record. It is just brilliant and out of the world. Shame people talk about xyz as best team ever but rarely mentions this record..

2007-08 we won without losing.
2008-09 we lost in the finals which was a neutral venue
2009-10 we lost to Bayern in the first leg, thats the only loss since losing to Milan
2010-11 We haven't even conceded an away goal.[COLOR=#00e0]
[/COLOR]

---------- Post added 26/04/2011 at 06:55 AM ---------- Previous post was 25/04/2011 at 05:47 AM ----------

Barca started the so called mind games to gain advantage,,

There is a chance that a Portuguese referee will be chosen to officiate the first leg - something Guardiola insisted would delight his opposite number.

Pep: "
I am convinced that Mourinho will be very happy if there is a Portuguese referee. To play the semi-final we will need the right mentality and tactics.

Valdes
We know what can happen against Real Madrid. We must take what comes, and it may depend a lot on the referee whether we can play our game or not,'' he said. ''But we're not obsessed about these things.

Tonight's the Schalke - Manchester United match in Gelsenkirchen.

Good luck Schalke and United (don't want to make anyone feel bad so I put both clubs), and I still hope and wish Schalke to win in the semi finals even tho' it's a long shot.

See ya guys

Jose special..

".......What is more imporant than who is refereeing is that we start a new cycle because there have been two groups of managers up until now: a quiet one who doesn't talk about referees and a louder one, such as myself, that criticized the referees when they make significant mistakes. We have entered a new era following the statements made by Guardiola and there is now a third group. He is the only one in it as he criticizes the right calls made by referees. I had never seen anything like it before. We will see if his supporters follow him into the group....

Mourinho has a point about refs making every decision to barca, its just wrong

Real Madrid petition to Uefa for suspension of six Barcelona players - report
Madrid were not amused by the behaviour of Barcelona in last week's Champions League match and have demanded disciplinary action against six players
By Stefan Coerts

Champions League hopefuls Real Madrid have asked Uefa to take action against six Barcelona players in the aftermath of last week's Champions League semi-final at the Santiago Bernabeu, AS reports.

Barca recorded a 2-0 win over the capital club, but the match was marred by incidents as Jose Pinto, Pepe and Jose Mourinho were all dismissed during the contest.

Madrid have allegedly demanded two-match bans for Dani Alves, Sergio Busquets and Pedro for their unsporting behaviour last week, and have also asked Uefa to suspend Javier Mascherano, Seydou Keita and Victor Valdes for one game for their involvement in various incidents.

Uefa's disciplinary committee meets in Nyon on Monday to discuss Madrid's complaints and is expected to announce its decision before Tuesday's second-leg at Camp Nou.

Real Madrid have also asked Uefa to take action against head coach Pep Guardiola as they believe that the behaviour of Barca's players was part of the tactician's 'premeditated anti-sporting' plan to disrupt the Bernabeu giants.

Madrid are so stupid even to think about this..

Sadly that wouldn't go through... ever...

But maybe at least a one match ban for Dani Alves, Busquets and Pedro would be nice considering they are much better at acting (dives) than playing.

(don't get offend, it was a joke)

will we actually get some decent football played tonight?

Back