The Champions League Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter CJACKO11
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 246K
Jesus tittyfucking CHrist, Bayern were hopeless. No plan of attack no nothing, just desperate attempts at long range screamers.

Pretty sad for team so packed with top talent. Bring on Ancelotti, Pep needs to go the way of the dodo. 70% possession and **** all came out of it.

Jesus tittyfucking CHrist, Bayern were hopeless. No plan of attack no nothing, just desperate attempts at long range screamers.

Pretty sad for team so packed with top talent. Bring on Ancelotti, Pep needs to go the way of the dodo. 70% possession and **** all came out of it.
Can't believe he left out Muller! And his subs were poor imo. Won't have it all his own way in the Prem that's for sure.

Atletico's style is basically kryptonite for posession football.

Without a doubt my favourote team to watch of the last ten years. Love them, Simeone is going to go down as one of the all time great coaches imo.

Without a doubt my favourote team to watch of the last ten years. Love them, Simeone is going to go down as one of the all time great coaches imo.

I don't know, it's not like he reinvented the wheel or anything. The principles of solid defending are older then Simeone himself, it's just that top teams don't focus on that element of the game as much anymore. Two banks of four moving as a unit has always been hard as **** to break down if you actually put in the work on the training ground, there's a reason Tony Pullis has such a consistent sucess at what he does.

I mean, they've basically played mid-90s 4-4-2 today. 90s Argentina defended exactly like that when Simeone was part of the squad. Wide midfielders instead of wingers, two banks of four staying compact forcing opposition wide. Opposition can't get near the box so they get forced wide, where their offensive players get doubled down when one of two strikes helps with the press. Oligatory time wasting and overdramatic simulations, and so on and so on.

It's all been done and perfected when Simeone was still a player, it's just that nobody tried to play this way in ages. What was the last excellent defensive team, Mourinho's Inter, a decade ago?

Ever since tiki-taka big clubs became obsessed with playing pretty football, I'd bet you anything that 20 years ago there was twice as much defensive drills as teams do today.

Still huge props to Simeone for making it work of course, but he's hardly doing anything new here.

I don't know, it's not like he reinvented the wheel or anything. The principles of solid defending are older then Simeone himself, it's just that top teams don't focus on that element of the game as much anymore. Two banks of four moving as a unit has always been hard as **** to break down if you actually put in the work on the training ground, there's a reason Tony Pullis has such a consistent sucess at what he does.

I mean, they've basically played mid-90s 4-4-2 today. 90s Argentina defended exactly like that when Simeone was part of the squad. Wide midfielders instead of wingers, two banks of four staying compact forcing opposition wide. Opposition can't get near the box so they get forced wide, where their offensive players get doubled down when one of two strikes helps with the press. Oligatory time wasting and overdramatic simulations, and so on and so on.

It's all been done and perfected when Simeone was still a player, it's just that nobody tried to play this way in ages. What was the last excellent defensive team, Mourinho's Inter, a decade ago?

Ever since tiki-taka big clubs became obsessed with playing pretty football, I'd bet you anything that 20 years ago there was twice as much defensive drills as teams do today.

Still huge props to Simeone for making it work of course, but he's hardly doing anything new here.

I think you are doing Simeone a bit of a disservice here, I mean sure he is not reinventing the wheel but who is? and sure he does borrow from the teams he played for at times but surely all managers do? and being part of a successful team does not guarantee success as a manager. I mean look at Roy Keane similar position, more successful club career, he went swimmingly into management eh?

Also its not like SImeone sets up like that every match I mean sure against the big boys but not against the minnows he is fairly pragmatic. But the main thing is he is having relative success given his opposition.

Also his man-management must be commended, he has been there what 5 years? we have seen how approaches like his with the intensity he demands can all come crashing down like it did for Mourinho. Yet he has kept everyone onside and relatively happy, and also to seal the deal he has made Torres a threat again haha.

Look I am not saying right now he is an all time great, I am saying that in the next 20 years he has as a manager hewill have enough success to be considered one of the greats.

Is there any good tactics made to play like his team in FM? Or some instructions?

TBH I am not sure, I have not bothered to much with FM this year as I have just lost interest. Shouldn't be too hard to make a basic defensively ssound 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 formation though. If I get time later at work I will have a look, see what I can come up with. I made a very successful 4-5-1 2 FM's ago that was similar style to how Simeone sets up against so called better teams so I will try to adapt that.

Massive match tonight very excited for it, very hard to predict the outcome of this one feel it could well be a draw my wallet certainly hoes so ;)

What a finish by Greizmann think his buyout is 85m pound cheap on this seasons numbers. What a player he is turning into, France will be looking to him with Benzema not going.

Crazy game, impressed by Bayern's ability to get out of such intense pressing.

******* ****. Not for faint hearted.

Hopefully they will go on to win it.

What a game, you would fancy Atleti vs either of Real or City. Tbh I think the way that they set up they would comfortabley beat city say if they started with Yaya.

Best game this year by a mile. Intensity levels of the charts.

Simeone is going to get a gigantic touchline ban for slapping the official though. I don't understand how the game wasn't stopped and he wasn't thrown away right there.

Arturo Vidal has spat his dummy out saying ugly football won last night, well I dunno bout that. A team that knows how to defend is one of the most beautiful things in football must be my Serie A upbringing or something ;)

One curious thing more. Who would have thought that Torres will play in CL finale? People have written him off and now he is in the final.

Who would have thought Athletico would get to the finals....while using Torres

;)

Arturo Vidal has spat his dummy out saying ugly football won last night, well I dunno bout that. A team that knows how to defend is one of the most beautiful things in football must be my Serie A upbringing or something ;)

Bayern really stepped up their game compared to the first tie though, Atletico often couldn't cope with how fast the ball was moving around.

In the first game Atletico was untouchable, Bayern couldn't even get near the box, but yesterday Atletico only held on because apart from Italian defending they also employ full spectrum of Italian dirty tactics. :D They must stolen like 15 minutes with all their time wasting, extending the game by only 5 was a complete joke by the ref.

Back