The Chelsea Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Ramires
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35K
  • Views Views 3M
Anyways hopefully the reports about Guus Hiddink are true. People still have many fond memories of his time in charge

Credit to Roman though. He has been far more patient than most owners would in his position.

Credit to Roman though. He has been far more patient than most owners would in his position.
Maybe or maybe not?. Maybe Roman should have sacked all the players as well then, they are the one's who are playing on the field not Jose.

Maybe or maybe not?. Maybe Roman should have sacked all the players as well then, they are the one's who are playing on the field not Jose.

Its easier to sack one manager rather than 22 players. That applies to just about every club. Often managers are not at fault but due to the nature of the situation, they are the ones who leave

Although I fully expect to see some player departures as well.

Its easier to sack one manager rather than 22 players. That applies to just about every club. Often managers are not at fault but due to the nature of the situation, they are the ones who leave

Although I fully expect to see some player departures as well.
Yes that is correct Managers usually when it's not always their fault. But Sir Alex Ferguson was close to sack to his earlier days at Old Trafford and took a FA Cup win to save his job, after then history kicks in and look what he managed to build. I thought you Chelsea supporters believed that Jose Mourinho as good or better than Sir Alex Ferguson, he was your messiah couldn't do no wrong?.

Last edited:
Anyways hopefully the reports about Guus Hiddink are true. People still have many fond memories of his time in charge

The rumor of Hiddink being in charge short term are very very strong right now. Be interesting to see who takes over perma. Apparently Simeone thinks the Chelsea job is too volatile to take over right now. Which is surprising-that would apply to nearly all management jobs right now judging by the rate of sackings lately

Yes that is correct Managers usually when it's not always their fault. But Sir Alex Ferguson was close to sack to his earlier days at Old Trafford and took a FA Cup win to save his job, after then history kicks in and look what he managed to build. I thought you Chelsea supporters believed that Jose Mourinho as good or better than Sir Alex Ferguson, he was your messiah couldn't do know wrong?.

Cant seen to recall but did Ferguson take a title-winning squad close to the relegation zone? Did he unjustifiably sack a popular member of the backroom staff? Did he call out his players on being rats and claimed they betrayed him? Did he constantly stick to a stifling tactic which completely negated our best players? Did he make constant jibes at other managers for no reason other than to massage his own ego?

The rumor of Hiddink being in charge short term are very very strong right now. Be interesting to see who takes over perma. Apparently Simeone thinks the Chelsea job is too volatile to take over right now. Which is surprising-that would apply to nearly all management jobs right now judging by the rate of sackings lately

Indeed. And I think roman has proved he has more patience nowadays considering how long he waited before he sacked Mourinho

Cant seen to recall but did Ferguson take a title-winning squad close to the relegation zone? Did he unjustifiably sack a popular member of the backroom staff? Did he call out his players on being rats and claimed they betrayed him? Did he constantly stick to a stifling tactic which completely negated our best players? Did he make constant jibes at other managers for no reason other than to massage his own ego?
I'm not so sure that fans of others than United wouldn't agree that Sir Alex Ferguson was a saint with the media, he has call out a few players in his time. Plus the season I'm talking about United finished 13th in the league. The first few seasons of his reign 11th (joined Nov 86) in 1986-87,2nd in 1987-88, 11th in 1988-89 & 13th in 1989-90 (the season that he won the FA Cup). Also he did have a run in with his medical staff during reign.

Taken from Sir Alex Ferguson wiki page:

For the 1989–90 season, Ferguson further boosted his squad by paying large sums of money for midfielders Neil Webb, Mike Phelan and Paul Ince, as well as defender Gary Pallister and winger Danny Wallace. The season began well with a 4–1 win over defending champions Arsenal on the opening day, but United's league form quickly turned sour. In September, United suffered a humiliating 5–1 away defeat against fierce rivals Manchester City. Following this and an early season run of six defeats and two draws in eight games, a banner declaring "Three years of excuses and it's still **** ... ta-ra Fergie." was displayed at Old Trafford, and many journalists and supporters called for Ferguson to be sacked. Ferguson later described December 1989 as "the darkest period [he had] ever suffered in the game", as United ended the decade just outside the relegation zone.

Following a run of seven games without a win, Manchester United were drawn away to Nottingham Forest in the third round of the FA Cup. Forest were performing well that season and were in the process of winning the League Cup for the second season running, and it was expected that United would lose the match and Ferguson would consequently be sacked, but United won the game 1–0 due to a Mark Robins goal and eventually reached the final. This cup win is often cited as the match that saved Ferguson's Old Trafford career, even though it has since been stated that his job was never at risk. United went on to win the FA Cup, beating Crystal Palace 1–0 in the final replay after a 3–3 draw in the first match, giving Ferguson his first major trophy as Manchester United manager. United's defensive frailties in the first match were unilaterally blamed on goalkeeper Jim Leighton, forcing Ferguson to drop his former Aberdeen player and bring in Les Sealey.

Last edited:
Thought he would get time to get it sorted but once you lose dressing room you are done. There is noway back.

Oh don't be silly. In a showdown versus the whole squad, managers always lose. That's how it works in every club. The only person who could survive such situation was SAF.

I wonder what where the betting odds that mourinho would be sacked..
But lets hope for interesting January window.

Dont expect anything. Board never made signings for an interim manager. They will probably hold back for the summer

Oh don't be silly. In a showdown versus the whole squad, managers always lose. That's how it works in every club. The only person who could survive such situation was SAF.

Mourinho is one of the few managers, with SAF, who have the levels of historical success to make it fair to assume it's an issue with the players rather than the manager, though.

Mourinho is one of the few managers, with SAF, who have the levels of historical success to make it fair to assume it's an issue with the players rather than the manager, though.

Unlike SAF though, he does have a history of alienating large parts of the dressing room as he did at Madrid. As always, players obviously bear some of the fault but the manager is first to go

Unlike SAF though, he does have a history of alienating large parts of the dressing room as he did at Madrid. As always, players obviously bear some of the fault but the manager is first to go

I was about to edit that you could argue he has that habit as well. It's not like Fergie has ever shied away from isolating and getting rid of players to maintain control. I believe he says it's the most important aspect of his managerial style. Perhaps he was fortunate that a large core of his squad would remain loyal no matter what, allowing him to trim the edges of the squad of anyone who rocked the boat too much, without losing the squad.

Rodgers wouldn't be the worst appointment. Will get us to play attacking football which is already better than the bollocks we have been watching this whole year

Rodgers would be terrible for you. You need someone who can fix this season, who's good with tactics. Brendan isn't a game changer, he's a guy who always goes on about transition and that it takes time to gel.

Roman would sack him by the end of the season for sure.

That'd be true, if it wasn't for the fact that many of these players had won two major european trophies back to back, before he even arrived.

Besides, Mourinho has only ever had shortterm success. His record at mantaining longterm success is nonexistent. That's the difference. Ferguson could contain any mutiny, because for all purposes, Ferguson and the club were the same entity.

I was about to edit that you could argue he has that habit as well. It's not like Fergie has ever shied away from isolating and getting rid of players to maintain control. I believe he says it's the most important aspect of his managerial style. Perhaps he was fortunate that a large core of his squad would remain loyal no matter what, allowing him to trim the edges of the squad of anyone who rocked the boat too much, without losing the squad.

Thats the issue though. Player dissent is normal at any club at various points. But as long as the core of senior players stay loyal to you then you are fine.

Mourinho managed to isolate Costa, Hazard, Matic and Oscar who are for all intents and purposes, the core of Chelsea. Terry does not command the same influence in the dressing room as he once did and I always have a nagging feeling that he looks after his own skin first

Back