The Chelsea Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Ramires
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35K
  • Views Views 3M
Simply for their attitude towards the manager. It's not like FM, where if you change the tactic, you get back on your feet. If the players don't want to win, they won't. Tactics won't do **** about that.

Exactly, this isn't FM.

I was in a similar situation back when I first graduated and was writing for an agency. We had a boss who has been successful in the past but wasn't doing so well now. They became increasingly draconian, irrational and hard to work with. As the months went on, everyone's workrate and quality was down, because being in that environment every day, knowing you could be the next one to be fired or demoted for something minor, it wears you down. It makes you feel like ****. The fact that there are fans (or clients) in my case, real people who have invested in you and deserve better, it doesn't matter. You try to be better for them but the bottom line is you just won't perform in those circumstances. This is something you will see in every area of life, it doesn't matter if we're talking minimum wagers in a supermarket, Wall Street bankers or footballers on millions. People are still fundamentally people.

What you need in circumstances like that is change. You're not performing to your best, but when you have a bad boss like that, the blame ultimately doesn't fall on you. This is a key thing in any management as well. You are ultimately responsible for the output of your subordinates because that's your job. People don't seem to understand this. Management isn't all about making the right decisions, seeing the big picture, being smarter and better. It's about being able to manage. When the majority of your team finds you so objectionable that their work is suffering because of it, the buck stops with you.

Exactly, this isn't FM.

I was in a similar situation ... the buck stops with you.

I agree with what you said, however, I cannot help to think that the players had a major part in his demise. Same thing happened to AvB, Scolari, and god knows who else.

I agree with what you said, however, I cannot help to think that the players had a major part in his demise. Same thing happened to AvB, Scolari, and god knows who else.

I think they need to be told that this is their chance. They change or they're out because we have taken a big leap for them. If they try anything again, they're out.

Tbh though, Jose dug his own grave outside of the pitch. When he embarrassed the board and the club with some very stupid comments, he made it pretty much impossible for the club to say "Jose will not be leaving, deal with it" because it was clear that they weren't happy with the way he was acting either. Just lots of really badly played moves all adding up at the same time.

I think they need to be told that this is their chance. They change or they're out because we have taken a big leap for them. If they try anything again, they're out.

Tbh though, Jose dug his own grave outside of the pitch. When he embarrassed the board and the club with some very stupid comments, he made it pretty much impossible for the club to say "Jose will not be leaving, deal with it" because it was clear that they weren't happy with the way he was acting either. Just lots of really badly played moves all adding up at the same time.

Personally, I expect to see a mass exodus in the summer. Not because I want to see one, but because we have slim chances of getting any Champions League action next season ( unless we win it ). Some will probably abandon ship, refusing responsability for this farce of a season, which is their making.

I was making a similar point on WAGHN. I think we are all fundamentally misunderstanding the situation

This dressing room is not the political vipers nest of yesteryear. If it was, Mourinho's antics would probably have provoked a reaction long ago and we wouldn't be doing so badly

Players like Oscar, Hazard and Fabregas simply do not have he force of personality to take down someone like Mourinho through political machinations. I mean seriously look at Hazard, he seems like a joker, do you really think he led a mass revolution? Whereas players like Lampard and Terry did command that sort of influence and had the personality to overthrow managers which they did

In this case, Mourinho's antics like insulting managers, throwing out Carneiro and humiliating players in front of their peers did not provoke a positive reaction but made the players lose respect for him. They simply stopped listening to him collectively. Their were no meetings in the shadows or anything. Jose realised this too late and when he started to be all cuddly with them, it was too late as bridges had been burnt and they had seen his true face

So yes you can argue that these group of players don't have the mental fortitude of previous players in that sense but I personally don't see anything wrong with that. This is the new generation of players brought up through luxury academies and you need to adapt your managerial style to cater to them

In terms of managerial exodus, the one player who should definitely be on his way regardless of what he does is Diego Costa

Firstly he turns up to pre-season overweight. He arrives a day late for training in the second half of last season. Despite Mourinho showing him great loyalty and not punishing him or benching him till much later, he throws a bib at him in a petulant manner. Even if Costa hated Jose after the dressing room beat downs, he could at least have maintained a united front in public. Loyalty is a two way street and he owes Jose a lot for sticking by him through his shenanigans

I lost all respect for him. He doesn't fight for the club. That's just an excuse to cause trouble. Kick him out

Personally, I expect to see a mass exodus in the summer. Not because I want to see one, but because we have slim chances of getting any Champions League action next season ( unless we win it ). Some will probably abandon ship, refusing responsability for this farce of a season, which is their making.

Which is why it's important for us to show ambition early on in the summer. Make it very clear that we are looking to get back into the Top 4 and win the title ASAP. Step one should be to sign up a top class manager as soon as possible such as Pep or someone. Step two is to get deals for important transfers done early like we did with Fabregas and Costa last season

Thats what United did and it worked out well. Any player in the world would love to play for Pep or El Cholo

It seems that 48 hours after Mourinho's departure, the Chelsea players have re-learned the art of football.

How inconspicuous.

I think you are getting massively ahead of yourself here. The idea that you wouldn't be bothered by anything other than Pep at Arsenal is mental. Can you imagine him with KDB, Sterling, Fernandinho, Silva, Ageuro at City? They'd be absolutely monstrous. Mourinho's methods might only be short term but if he goes to United all the evidence suggests that they will certainly get a serious boost (for a while anyway) Wenger is finally spending at Arsenal and they are looking a very impressive, very complete team. The current issues at Chelsea have people forgetting that this summer the common consensus was that this was a chance for us to push to get back into the absolute best clubs in the world again. The squad is still the same, and with a manager like Simeone in charge and a few choice acquisitions, I can easily see us winning the league next year.

You guys look a lot better under Klopp, but I can't see how you could genuinely think none of the above wouldn't be well above you in the eyes of everyone but Liverpool fans.

Its Pep at either of the Manchester clubs that scares me most frankly speaking. Not so much at Arsenal

That first half was the best football I have seen from our attacking unit all year. Jesus good to know they can still play

Won the relegation six pointer. We are staying up boys!!!

Oh Jesus. I guess the players were in a no-win situation here, weren't they?

If they lose again they obviously don't care about the club and need to be shipped off. If they win for a change, they obviously spend half a year playing like **** on purpose to fire Mourinho, and they need to be shipped off.

Seriously. These are football players, not the Illuminati.

If they lose again they obviously don't care about the club and need to be shipped off. If they win for a change, they obviously spend half a year playing like **** on purpose to fire Mourinho, and they need to be shipped off.

Some of the banners today were an absolute disgrace both to the club and banner making in general

There was a lot of attrition with Mourinho and I have no doubt the team underperformed and most of them wanted him to leave.

Mourinho was sacked because it's much easier to sack a coachh than to sell and buy half of a team. He didn't suddenly "unlearn" how to manage a team. We'll see if United gets him and they win the league....

My personal favourite theory is how Diego Costa, a man who can't speak English and is about as bright as United's future under LvG, has secretly led a group of shadowy conspirators in a diabolical and deliberate scheme to undermine Jose and force him out, in doing so pulling the wool over the eyes of an owner with experience dealing with Russia's criminal masterminds.

Exactly, this isn't FM.

I was in a similar situation back when I first graduated and was writing for an agency. We had a boss who has been successful in the past but wasn't doing so well now. They became increasingly draconian, irrational and hard to work with. As the months went on, everyone's workrate and quality was down, because being in that environment every day, knowing you could be the next one to be fired or demoted for something minor, it wears you down. It makes you feel like ****. The fact that there are fans (or clients) in my case, real people who have invested in you and deserve better, it doesn't matter. You try to be better for them but the bottom line is you just won't perform in those circumstances. This is something you will see in every area of life, it doesn't matter if we're talking minimum wagers in a supermarket, Wall Street bankers or footballers on millions. People are still fundamentally people.

What you need in circumstances like that is change. You're not performing to your best, but when you have a bad boss like that, the blame ultimately doesn't fall on you. This is a key thing in any management as well. You are ultimately responsible for the output of your subordinates because that's your job. People don't seem to understand this. Management isn't all about making the right decisions, seeing the big picture, being smarter and better. It's about being able to manage. When the majority of your team finds you so objectionable that their work is suffering because of it, the buck stops with you.

This x100

There is a reason Ferguson got to 26 years, he adapted. It was mostly his way for 26 years, but he knew when to be hard and when to be reasonable. Jose has never learned this.

This x100

There is a reason Ferguson got to 26 years, he adapted. It was mostly his way for 26 years, but he knew when to be hard and when to be reasonable. Jose has never learned this.

And the sad part is, he still looks like he hasn't. Dynasty will continue to prove elusive

Now sources say her relationship with Emeleano is also strained. I really wonder what was said behind closed doors

Simple, they backed the wrong horse and thought she would crumble, and she didnt.

Simple, they backed the wrong horse and thought she would crumble, and she didnt.

Clownish behaviour. We need to sack whoever is advising the club in regards to PR disaster management. First this Carneiro situation and then Emeleano's interview after the Jose sacking. Completely classless for a club to do that to it's best manager even if he ****** us over

Not sure I would blame the players here. It's in Chelsea's DNA, everytime they play bad, sack manager and players plays with new belief and confidence and plays really well. Not the first time and for sure not the last time.

Jose was sacked and Grant came close to winning the league and CL finals
Scolari was sacked, Chelsea then was in CL semi finals losing to Barca.
AVB was sacked, Di Matteo won CL and FA cup (IIRC)
Di Matteo was sacked, Rafa won Europa league and finished 3rd place.

It happens with Chelsea all the time. Nothing to blame players here.

Oh look, Ake scored

Superb. That means we are going to get a higher price for him. It's not like we are going to play him or anything

Back