The Chelsea Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Ramires
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35K
  • Views Views 3M
Did you just call us a 'rival?' Steady wack. You'll be looked down on unfavourably around these parts from some for that. :P ;).

But yeah, as soon as I saw that mind blowing fee for Ramires, that was my first fear too. Teixeira. Not sure Boston would drop the wages you'd be willing to. He's making all the right noises about only wanting to come to us (more of that emerged overnight), and we are still negotiating. But money ultimately talks.

This is going to be a tense one right up until the deadline.

We're both going to finish outside the top 4, so rival is pretty accurate for this year at least ;)

It will definitely be an interesting one. I do wonder why you want him though. He's really good playing as a striker in a withdrawn role. You already have that in Firmino, and a big part of what makes those kind of systems work is having a creative player in central midfield to make up for the chances you lose by not playing an outright 10. As good as the Welsh Xavi and Can are, they're not that. Playing Tex, Firmino and Coutinho at the same time would be madness as well, you'd have so little width. Clyne can get forward but what about leftback? It just seems like a weird one really. You'd surely be much better served by getting a new CM, a new LB and looking for a genuine winger.

I can sort of see
----Firmino----
X-Coutinho-Tex

but you would still need to sign another player for the leftwing in that case, someone who will genuinely stretch play. You will also need Coutinho to consistently create pretty much every game.

Last edited:
We're both going to finish outside the top 4, so rival is pretty accurate for this year at least ;)

It will definitely be an interesting one. I do wonder why you want him though. He's really good playing as a striker in a withdrawn role. You already have that in Firmino, and a big part of what makes those kind of systems work is having a creative player in central midfield to make up for the chances you lose by not playing an outright 10. As good as the Welsh Xavi and Can are, they're not that. Playing Tex, Firmino and Coutinho at the same time would be madness as well, you'd have so little width. Clyne can get forward but what about leftback? It just seems like a weird one really. You'd surely be much better served by getting a new CM, a new LB and looking for a genuine winger.

I can sort of see
----Firmino----
X-Coutinho-Tex

but you would still need to sign another player for the leftwing in that case, someone who will genuinely stretch play. You will also need Coutinho to consistently create pretty much every game.

Goals. We need them BADLY. And there's only so much you can do in a January window so I presume he's utilising his budget on the best solution right now and someone that will be a key piece long term.

Looking at a break down of all the positions he's played for Shaktar, there's a fair number they've used him anywhere across that attacking three so he could conceivably slot in and interchange with the other two perfectly. (From what I read he has offered quite a bit of width through his time there but he's honestly bang new to me so time will tell if he arrives. That said Klopp does like the width to come from the FB's more with the three interchanging out there as and when.). Frmino ultimately will probably be the traditional L'pool 7, or 10 in general terms. He's only up there now as Benteke basically isn't worth a wank at this moment in time. So you've also got the option right now of interchanging the both of them. But ultimately we'll be playing two up top I believe so to have those options supporting, with possibly Firmino of Teixera off whomever is leading the line would be a real nice option to have.

This one definitely appears a Klopp one and he wouldn't be after him if he didn't think he'd fit or was a big upgrade.

Nice out the first line there bud haha. That should appease the natives. |).

Last edited:
ESPN Brazil are reporting it's all but done to us FWIW.

Hard to know who to believe right now.

If it is only a loan move, then i dont seem too much harm made.
He can play winger? I doubt he replaces Costa, maybe Oscar?

Pato plays as a winger? First I knew about that but maybe he can. I suppose there is always small risk with a loan but I can't see him adjusting.

I am asking if he can play as a winger, because I dont think they will drop Costa like that. But you never now. Dont know much of him. Only he was good prospect sometime ago plays mainly as striker.

If anything he now prefers to play out wide.

If anything he now prefers to play out wide.

Really? That is interesting. Can see the same Milan frailties back then when he get's kicked to high Heaven by the FB's here.

Not losing anything on a short term loan like.

So Pato is now officially a chelsea player. Really hope he does well you can tell he is buzzing to be back playing in Europe and lets hope his second spell in Europe is a successful one at stamford bridge!

So Pato is now officially a chelsea player. Really hope he does well you can tell he is buzzing to be back playing in Europe and lets hope his second spell in Europe is a successful one at stamford bridge!

If his head is right can see him being a big success hope so its a crime that he has not realised his ridiculous potential

After Shevchenko, Torres, Eto and Falcao, this is part V of the Chelsea 'striker rehabilitation program'. Seriously I cannot understand this transfer at all for the life of me

After Shevchenko, Torres, Eto and Falcao, this is part V of the Chelsea 'striker rehabilitation program'. Seriously I cannot understand this transfer at all for the life of me

Hey, you never know. Your medical department is top notch. Pato might turn out to be a huge hit if Chelsea staff can keep him healthy.

Short term solution to give a bit of depth and cover you'd presume.

Never going to sign a permy for you bar a massive turnaround his European fortunes so you're not losing out.

Hey, you never know. Your medical department is top notch. Pato might turn out to be a huge hit if Chelsea staff can keep him healthy.

The baffling thing is he did not exactly set the world alight in the Brazilian league when he was healthy. The only reason we even signed him is because of his reputation as a one-time wonderkid. Not going to help us salvage this season anyhow

Speaking of Falcao, at this point I'm inclined to believe in old conspiracy theory that he lies about his age.

His decline is just absurd, Torres had a super consistent career in comparison. Falcao looks like someone in mid-30s and plays like someone in mid-30s. Something doesn't add up here.

Short term solution to give a bit of depth and cover you'd presume.

Never going to sign a permy for you bar a massive turnaround his European fortunes so you're not losing out.

Yep. It's definitely nothing for us Chelsea fans to get excited about, but I can understand why we've got him.

Decent cover (If fit) with experience at the highest level and it's only a loan. Also he's not cup-tied for the Champions League.

Big loan sealed for Charlie Musonda. For those that don't know, this kid is the hottest thing in our youth program right now, regarded by many as the best new Belgian of his generation. He clearly has some serious talent too if you watch him. He's being loaned to Real Betis for 6 months, and if they like him he will get another 12, so a potential 18 month loan for him to prove himself to be included in the 17/18 squad.

Yep. It's definitely nothing for us Chelsea fans to get excited about, but I can understand why we've got him.

Decent cover (If fit) with experience at the highest level and it's only a loan. Also he's not cup-tied for the Champions League.

Yup. Thats about the top and bottom of it. Nothing wrong with a loan solution to a problem if the long term targets aren't available (as they rarely are) in January.

If it turns out he is now healthy enough to cope with the rigours of Europe again and shows the form he had at Milan, maybe you end up with a bargain. If he doesn't? Meh, he was just an experienced body for the rest of the year. Nothing lost.

Big loan sealed for Charlie Musonda. For those that don't know, this kid is the hottest thing in our youth program right now, regarded by many as the best new Belgian of his generation. He clearly has some serious talent too if you watch him. He's being loaned to Real Betis for 6 months, and if they like him he will get another 12, so a potential 18 month loan for him to prove himself to be included in the 17/18 squad.

I've never quite gotten European loans for players you have hopes for. Even less so for kids and in particular foreign players.

If you think one is real promising and will make it, as it sounds in this case, for me a domestic loan would be far more beneficial to get him used to the rigours of both our leagues on the pitch and being a first team pro here with all English football entails.

We have Markovic completely waisting a year in Istanbul for example when he's going to come back and still not be fully tuned (in his case) to the physicality of English footie.

Of course it's all relative in finding a taker. But a lot of the time foreign loans aren't as beneficial as domestic ones for me.

I've never quite gotten European loans for players you have hopes for. Even less so for kids and in particular foreign players.

If you think one is real promising and will make it, as it sounds in this case, for me a domestic loan would be far more beneficial to get him used to the rigours of both our leagues on the pitch and being a first team pro here with all English football entails.

We have Markovic completely waisting a year in Istanbul for example when he's going to come back and still not be fully tuned (in his case) to the physicality of English footie.

Of course it's all relative in finding a taker. But a lot of the time foreign loans aren't as beneficial as domestic ones for me.

I'm pretty sure they take that into consideration. If they think the guy needs to mature up, he goes to the rougher league. If they think he's physically ready, he just goes to the place with best possible level of football and guarantee of starting spot.

Back