The Chelsea Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Ramires
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35K
  • Views Views 3M
Take out the Morinho factor and add a manager a couple of tiers down from that, allied to other clubs having way more money, and Russian riches become far less appealing than when he first arrived.

Doubt the 'Mourinho' factor will help United too much either tbf unless it is in attracting players who played with him at Inter which is just about the only major club he left as a hero. This is not 2010 anymore as Tyton mentioned a few weeks ago.

Agree that Chelsea is far less of an attractive prospect than it has been for many years but what a lot of people forget is that we already have a very good squad in place. It just needs the addition of 2-3 quality players in the right positions to make us seriously competitive again. We also some very good young players to supplement the squad such as RLC, Betrand Traore, Kenedy, Zouma and Christensen which traditionally has never been fully utilized by Chelsea managers. We are in a much better position than most people would like to think but still got a long way to go.

Doubt the 'Mourinho' factor will help United too much either tbf unless it is in attracting players who played with him at Inter which is just about the only major club he left as a hero. This is not 2010 anymore as Tyton mentioned a few weeks ago.

Agree that Chelsea is far less of an attractive prospect than it has been for many years .....

Pretty much the point and all relevant.

What Utd have that Chelsea don't, is their history and standing within the game. You then throw in Mourinho and his standing, as opposed to Conte, and you're a far less attractive prospect of the two as you mentioned and things are levelling out again in that respect in general from when Abromovich first came in and major money could and did make a massive difference.

City, although in the same scenario ostensibly there as Chelsea as opposed to a L'pool or Utd, level that again by virtue of having Guardiola. You guys, along with Utd who got lucky with Mourinho being left on the market by default (although I still think he's completely the wrong move for them but time will out on that either way), messed up with your coaching search and who you've wound up with.

The whole playing field has changed for Roman's Chelsea.

*Edit* There is always the London factor mind when it comes to foreigners which will always play heavily in your favour.

Last edited:
And then there's that it is a different team. Different play style which needs different players, altough they might be playing at the same level.

Pretty much the point and all relevant.

What Utd have that Chelsea don't, is their history and standing within the game. You then throw in Mourinho and his standing, as opposed to Conte, and you're a far less attractive prospect of the two as you mentioned and things are levelling out again in that respect in general from when Abromovich first came in and major money could and did make a massive difference.

City, although in the same scenario ostensibly there as Chelsea as opposed to a L'pool or Utd, level that again by virtue of having Guardiola. You guys, along with Utd who got lucky with Mourinho being left on the market by default (although I still think he's completely the wrong move for them but time will out on that either way), messed up with your coaching search and who you've wound up with.

The whole playing field has changed for Roman's Chelsea.

*Edit* There is always the London factor mind when it comes to foreigners which will always play heavily in your favour.

Again how much history and standing within the game count for is very subjective. Just a guess but I am guessing the primary factors for any player when deciding to move club is A) Ambition of club and how it is performing now B) Wages C) Manager D) Teammates and E) Location. I think players will take all this into account before history and standing otherwise Liverpool would be attracting the best players in the world every summer ;)

Mourinho definitely has more standing in the game than Conte although as I mentioned, I don't think the difference is that huge now considering how the past few years have been for Jose. I don't think we messed up with our coaching search at all. I am not sure why you say that. I would have loved Simeone and Chelsea tried their hardest but he was not going to leave Atletico and Conte was the next best option in the market. He is a pretty good option as well considering how much he utterly dominated with Juventus and so far at least, is hitting above his weight with the shittiest Italian squad I have ever seen.

Playing field has changed completely but I think the club has put in a lot of good work in terms of investing in our youth academy and scouting network to still maintain an advantage over most clubs except for City and United. The pereniall problem as always has been execution.

And then there's that it is a different team. Different play style which needs different players, altough they might be playing at the same level.

I think all this talk of Conte playing 3-5-2 at Chelsea is nonsense. He is a pragmatist. He will play to the strengths of his squad which will probably involve a tactic that gets the best out of Hazard and Fabregas.

Rarely if ever will you hear me say this but kudos Conte. That was a tactical masterclass that has totally nullified and exasperated the Spaniards. Playing on the front foot which I never expected. Wing backs pushed on keeping the Spanish FB's back. Pressing all over not allowing the Spanish a second in possession. Attacking in numbers. Brilliant.

My pre-tourney tip Spain are going to need a BIG turnaround to get back into this second half.

Rarely if ever will you hear me say this but kudos Conte. That was a tactical masterclass that has totally nullified and exasperated the Spaniards. Playing on the front foot which I never expected. Wing backs pushed on keeping the Spanish FB's back. Pressing all over not allowing the Spanish a second in possession. Attacking in numbers. Brilliant.

My pre-tourney tip Spain are going to need a BIG turnaround to get back into this second half.

Spain were awful. Spain were clueless, they didn't expect Italy to try and play against them. Conte and Italy were excellent, but Del Bosque got things so very very wrong

Spain were awful. Spain were clueless, they didn't expect Italy to try and play against them. Conte and Italy were excellent, but Del Bosque got things so very very wrong

They were clueless, and absolutely lacked a plan B. Plus, no pace against a team which was very difficult to break down otherwise, Lucas Vasquez actually caused a few errors by the Italian defence when he came on.

Conte is actually mental! No mind games or deflected press conferences just pure mental! It's brilliant

He actually does both.

I think most managers bullshit in press conferences etc but i like what i see from him on the touchline. My only issue is that some of our prissy players will not agree with his micro management style

Conte has had some absolute terrible luck. First Spain and now Germany

So now that England and Spain are out hopefully Wales can knockout Belgium in the QFs to give Hazard and T-Bo some extra time off before our pre-season starts. Then there's Conte... more of the same please Antonio...

tumblr_o9fyrfednG1vvwgg7o1_500.gif

I think most managers bullshit in press conferences etc but i like what i see from him on the touchline. My only issue is that some of our prissy players will not agree with his micro management style

He definitely won't be as confrontrational as Jose. He strikes me as someone who will adopt a more pragmatic tone when dealing with players but if you commit, he expects 110% effort.

He definitely won't be as confrontrational as Jose. He strikes me as someone who will adopt a more pragmatic tone when dealing with players but if you commit, he expects 110% effort.

I don't think anyone can be as confrontational as Jose. But I just hope the board back Conte 100%, and if someone doesn't want to get with the programme then don't pussyfoot about, get rid of 'em.

Back