The Chelsea Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Ramires
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35K
  • Views Views 3M
Over to you guys now to wrap up the opening weekend.

'Spurs dropped already. Citeh won but didn't deserve to in a bang average performance. Utd won. (Don't have a clue how they played. Was on the pub. Nobody was arsed.). Arsenal dropped whilst L'pool sent out the statement of the opening weekend.

Over to Chelsea and your home opener.

Have Oscar & Courtois to play for my Fantasy Football, that will be my main interest in the game lol

Excited for the start of the season and can see us easily returning to title winning levels if we shore up the issues with a defensive signing or two. Remember that a year and a bit ago, we were looking to take that final step into the absolute top tier again: things haven't changed so much. I have faith that so long as Conte is backed with players, we may well get there again soon.

One thing I will say though, is that many of us don't seem to realise just how spoilt we were for that decade or so. One of the best midfielders the league has seen, an incredible defender and captain, a striker who not only terrified defences but was also a big game god and arguably the best left back in the world, all together in the same squad, all in their primes, all fiercely Chelsea. That's the only real regret I have looking back at our rotating door of managers during the era: you have to wonder what those players could have done if they had enjoyed the consistency of one or two managers.

One thing I will say though, is that many of us don't seem to realise just how spoilt we were for that decade or so. One of the best midfielders the league has seen, an incredible defender and captain, a striker who not only terrified defences but was also a big game god and arguably the best left back in the world, all together in the same squad, all in their primes, all fiercely Chelsea. That's the only real regret I have looking back at our rotating door of managers during the era: you have to wonder what those players could have done if they had enjoyed the consistency of one or two managers.

The fine print though, is that your biggest triumph in that era was won with what was probably your weakest squad.

Excited for the start of the season and can see us easily returning to title winning levels if we shore up the issues with a defensive signing or two. Remember that a year and a bit ago, we were looking to take that final step into the absolute top tier again: things haven't changed so much. I have faith that so long as Conte is backed with players, we may well get there again soon.

Manchester United 2006-2009. I honestly believe you could have had that level of dominance

The fine print though, is that your biggest triumph in that era was won with what was probably your weakest squad.

Indeed. Football is a funny old game. I genuinely believe 04-05 Chelsea was the best team the EPL had ever seen. Better even than the Invincibles.

Indeed. Football is a funny old game. I genuinely believe 04-05 Chelsea was the best team the EPL had ever seen. Better even than the Invincibles.

His first season when you were attacking at will with Duff and Robben and the likes of Cole and Lampard breaking at will from midfield? That one? Yeah, defo up there.

His first season when you were attacking at will with Duff and Robben and the likes of Cole and Lampard breaking at will from midfield? That one? Yeah, defo up there.

Chelsea 04/05 team lost only one game. Won 3 more games, had more points (the record), conceded 11(!) less goals and scored only one goal less compared to the Invincibles. That team was ridiculously good.

Chelsea 04/05 team lost only one game. Won 3 more games, had more points (the record), conceded 11(!) less goals and scored only one goal less compared to the Invincibles. That team was ridiculously good.

Which made beating the newly crowned Champions with a 'goal' that we could see in the ground at the time wasn't a 'goal' all the sweeter the semi. All the more so that it still narks the living **** out of him to this day and he always brings it up when we play his sides haha.

Yeah, thought that was his first one. Great side to watch with the wing play and attacking midfielders to go along with Drogba, who's a shout for any all time PL team, and Cech before the injury coming from nowhere to be the best 'keeper in the league and one of the best the World. Makelele been in that team too right? Best in the World for the job he did and the best the PL's ever seen in that role IMHO.

Starting XI:

Courtois, Brana, Cahill, JT, Dave, Oscar, Kante, Matic, Willian, Hazard, Diego.

As expected Oscar starts over Fabregas, with Kante and Matic alongside him in a three-man midfield. Let's f**king do this!

What's Chelsea fans view over Oscar? Thought he was dogshit last season but that's just my opinion.

^ To be fair that can be said for almost all of them, barring Willian. I personally think he's a very good #10, not in the league of Coutinho or Ozil to name a few in that position in the Premier League, but a good player.

What's Chelsea fans view over Oscar? Thought he was dogshit last season but that's just my opinion.

I'm not his biggest fan, and I think we should've sold him this summer. So if he fails again this season we really should move him on. But it'll be interesting to see how he performs in a three-man midfield alongside Kante and Matic.

More refereeing inconsistency. Guarantee you we'll see him award a free kick for a carbon copy of that challenge in the middle of the park.

Just literally put it on so I'll see half time.

This score will do very nicely like.

Wouldn't call it an absolute stonewaller, but if it happened anywhere else on the pitch it's a foul, so on that logic, it's a penalty.
I agree, first season in a while I'm actually remembering to cheer on the underdogs against the big boys haha, was in "don't give a f***" mode for a while

We've looked pretty good in the first-half. Not great, but decent. What is noticeable though is how the three in midfield split when the fullbacks bomb on (and they do bomb on). Kanté sits in front of the centre-backs, Matic covers Dave and Oscar covers Brana. We almost form a 2-3-5 in attack at times.

Back