The Chelsea Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Ramires
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35K
  • Views Views 3M
The fee's rumoured to be in the region of £30m/£34m which I believe is reasonable, especially when you consider Moussa Sissoko moving for £30m.

Overall it's been a **** good window for us imo, of course it could always be better. However I can't complain.

Could have been a better window. Could have been much worse the postion we were in on deadline day.

Overall cannot complain much. We got the best midfielder in the EPL last season in N'Golo Kante. Two good young players in Batshuayi and Alonso and of course the hero of Munich, Luiz.

Plus the club showed they were willing to spend money with the reported huge bids they placed for Morata, Koulibaly and Romagnoli. The first one never wanted to leave and the latter two would not be sold by their respective clubs unless it was crazy money. Fair play.

My main gripe is that we spent too much time locked in negotiations with ADL for Koulibaly. We should have realized early that after getting the Higuan money, he is not going to sell at a fair price. We should have moved on early to our other targets instead of scrambling like crazy on deadline day and lodging bids for random players.

Idiotic from the executives and could have resulted in another Djiboldji moment. We need to identify a few targets and start negotiations early so we are not in a desperate postion on deadline day and forced to overpay for someone like Alonso or require player asking to leave like Luiz did to push the move through.

Overall I think it will take another summer transfer window before Conte gets the squad he wants. Christensen is coming back ans hopefully Zouma can pick up right where he left off. Betrand Traore and Kenedy too should have comfortable places in our squad next season if they show what they are capable off on their loan spells.

Barring any unexpected events, next summer we should focus on the real star players who can take us to the next level. A top quality RW to complement Hazard and a top quality defender. We will be fine this season as we are not in Europe anyways.

Also people don't realize that another of Luiz' strength is his ability to play anywhere across the backline. This could see Ivanovic permanently becoming a back-up CB and Luiz assuming the hybrid CB/FB role which is terrific news.

Chelsea Youth– ‏@chelseayouth

yH5BAEKAAEALAAAAAANAAwAAAILjI+py+0Po5y0ngIAOw==

Loanee 38 Matt Miazga to Vitesse confirmed. A record tally for #CFC #LoanArmy [url]http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2016/08/miazga-loaned-to-vitesse.html …[/URL]

Might be wrong but from an outsiders POV, yesterday's two additions says to me Conte adding additions to switch to his preferred 3-5-2.

Might be wrong but from an outsiders POV, yesterday's two additions says to me Conte adding additions to switch to his preferred 3-5-2.

One thing Conte loves is options. I doubt he will switch to a 3-5-2 but at least the addition of Luiz and Alonso will give him the option to do so. A lot will depend on how Zouma returns from his injury.

What a plan by Chelsea!

Sell Luiz, knowing he is going to be tutored by the Yoda of defense Thiago God Silva for 2 years, then bring him back as a wise and composed leader.

Well played Chelsea, well played.

What a plan by Chelsea!

Sell Luiz, knowing he is going to be tutored by the Yoda of defense Thiago God Silva for 2 years, then bring him back as a wise and composed leader.

Still unsure about the defence. Conte will probably do wonders imo.

My main gripe is that we spent too much time locked in negotiations with ADL for Koulibaly. We should have realized early that after getting the Higuan money, he is not going to sell at a fair price. We should have moved on early to our other targets instead of scrambling like crazy on deadline day and lodging bids for random players.

Idiotic from the executives and could have resulted in another Djiboldji moment. We need to identify a few targets and start negotiations early so we are not in a desperate postion on deadline day and forced to overpay for someone like Alonso or require player asking to leave like Luiz did to push the move through.
Seems Conte was determined to get a defender from Serie A. Seems you were hoping Maksimovic to Napoli would make Koulibaly available. Should have bought Maksimovic imo or at least challenged for Mustafi.

Seems Conte was determined to get a defender from Serie A. Seems you were hoping Maksimovic to Napoli would make Koulibaly available. Should have bought Maksimovic imo or at least challenged for Mustafi.

No idea what was the thinking but obviously club was misinformed if they held out hope for Koulibaly becoming available. Similar situation in 13/14 transfer window when club were led to believe United would sell Rooney and wasted the entire summer chasing him instead of focusing on other targets.

14/15 summer window was the best I have seen from the club under the new executives and 15/16 was the worst.

No idea what was the thinking but obviously club was misinformed if they held out hope for Koulibaly becoming available. Similar situation in 13/14 transfer window when club were led to believe United would sell Rooney and wasted the entire summer chasing him instead of focusing on other targets.

14/15 summer window was the best I have seen from the club under the new executives and 15/16 was the worst.

15/16 we wasted a whole summer trying to get Benzema after being led to believe that Madrid might sell him. It's frustrating when your club has no plan B.

What a plan by Chelsea!

We what? Oh. OH! Yeah man, LOL. That's what we did. ****, we fooled you all didn't we?

What a plan by Chelsea!

So you missed the Monaco PSG game, composed is not the word that would be used to describe any aspect of his performance. Especially the penalty he gave away

Also forgot I said I would put up a goal of his time at PSG if he left, after some careful consideration I have gone for his one against Nice

[video=youtube;mebug5yNxqc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mebug5yNxqc[/video]

A powerful near post header that is not similar to any other goal he scored I can think of and also recorded on a potato it would seem

Last edited:
No, the definition of a panic buy would have been paying whatever stupid price Napoli or Milan wanted for Koulibaly and Romagnoli respectively. When their were hardly any good options in the market, Chelsea have just gone ahead and selected the least worst one. Do you have any better suggestion as to who we should have signed?

Sorry, but there's no comparison between two young promising talents with a huge upside and a centre-back who's experienced and already cemented a reputation for having a brain fart regularly on the pitch. If such a defender is worth 32 mill, then i'm sure Koulibaly and Romagnoly are not that expensive.

There were better options in the market, Manchester United, Arsenal and City managed to sign those. The fact that Chelsea were unable to sign a half decent defender tells more about their inability than the alleged lack of good options.

For last, i don't really understand how Chelsea not getting a good defender justifies they getting a ****** one. They just spent huge money for a short-time fix, if that.

Sorry, but there's no comparison between two young promising talents with a huge upside and a centre-back who's experienced and already cemented a reputation for having a brain fart regularly on the pitch. If such a defender is worth 32 mill, then i'm sure Koulibaly and Romagnoly are not that expensive.

There were better options in the market, Manchester United, Arsenal and City managed to sign those. The fact that Chelsea were unable to sign a half decent defender tells more about their inability than the alleged lack of good options.

For last, i don't really understand how Chelsea not getting a good defender justifies they getting a ****** one. They just spent huge money for a short-time fix, if that.

Never said there was any comparions between Koulibaly, Romagnoli and Luiz. Also Koulibaly and Romagnoli are expensive due to the reluctance of their respective clubs to let them leave. Chelsea put in huge bids for both but were knocked back unless they could offer some insane price. Also £32m is really not that much in today's market where players like Sissoko, Bolasie and Benteke are going for similar sums.

United signed Bailly out of the blue and left no room for another club to intervene. Stones did not want to go any place aside from City and Chelsea has tried for him as well before that was made clear. Its very much debatable if Mustafi really is so much better than Luiz. If he was, why were Arsenal so reluctant to meet the valuation Valencia had put on him?

Back