The Chelsea Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Ramires
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35K
  • Views Views 3M
Never said there was any comparions between Koulibaly, Romagnoli and Luiz. Also Koulibaly and Romagnoli are expensive due to the reluctance of their respective clubs to let them leave. Chelsea put in huge bids for both but were knocked back unless they could offer some insane price. Also £32m is really not that much in today's market where players like Sissoko, Bolasie and Benteke are going for similar sums.

United signed Bailly out of the blue and left no room for another club to intervene. Stones did not want to go any place aside from City and Chelsea has tried for him as well before that was made clear. Its very much debatable if Mustafi really is so much better than Luiz. If he was, why were Arsenal so reluctant to meet the valuation Valencia had put on him?

Joel Matip from under the nose of Bayern on a free is looking better and better with all the defensive over pays this window.

Its very much debatable if Mustafi really is so much better than Luiz. If he was, why were Arsenal so reluctant to meet the valuation Valencia had put on him?

Arsenal being reluctant is nothing new and no indication on the ability of the player. As a CB they are incomparable and Mustafi is on another level to Luiz even though he is 5 years younger.

Arsenal being reluctant is nothing new and no indication on the ability of the player. As a CB they are incomparable and Mustafi is on another level to Luiz even though he is 5 years younger.

This explains it perfectly. Arsenal are always stubborn when it comes to negotiations and obtaining quality players was always going to be a challenge for us.

This explains it perfectly. Arsenal are always stubborn when it comes to negotiations and obtaining quality players was always going to be a challenge for us.
We spent a month negotiating £2.5 Million Rob Holding. Arsenal are always slow.

Urgh, f**king international football! The Swansea game couldn't come sooner. Beat Swansea and then it's time for the real test... Liverpool, Leicester and Arsenal. But to be honest the only team that worries me there is Liverpool. Arsenal are Arsenal, and I think Leicester will field a weakened team against us because of their upcoming schedule.

Urgh, f**king international football! The Swansea game couldn't come sooner. Beat Swansea and then it's time for the real test... Liverpool, Leicester and Arsenal. But to be honest the only team that worries me there is Liverpool. Arsenal are Arsenal, and I think Leicester will field a weakened team against us because of their upcoming schedule.

Liverpool are a great team on their day and can blow away any defense but simply do not have the consistency for a title run (at least from how things look now) which makes me think we will probably lose that one.

I'd feel less antsy if Mourinho was still at Chelsea. Klopp has his #. Conte is an unknown quantity.

But we have the Champions to take care of first and laying down a marker for the Anfield season in our first home game next Sat'day tea-time before we can look toward Chelsea.

Eh, Luiz is basically like Cahill who can pass. No one really dislikes either of them, because they both have this sort of last-ditch defending style that's entertaining to the fans and requires massive balls more than anything else.

But the truth they have to defend like that because they're ****. One guy like that can work, if you pair him with someone who actually has a brain. But if your backline pairing is going to be Cahill-Luiz...god help you.

Looking forward i suspect it will be and Luiz-Zouma partnership.

Might be wrong but from an outsiders POV, yesterday's two additions says to me Conte adding additions to switch to his preferred 3-5-2.

Its something i pointed out on deadline day, with the 2 signings we did make it gives Conte the chance to use that formation. I said when Conte came in that one thing he would do is make the players tactically versatile instead of the same old 4-2-3-1 despite if its working of not which Jose and Guus stuck too!

Sorry, but there's no comparison between two young promising talents with a huge upside and a centre-back who's experienced and already cemented a reputation for having a brain fart regularly on the pitch. If such a defender is worth 32 mill, then i'm sure Koulibaly and Romagnoly are not that expensive.

There were better options in the market, Manchester United, Arsenal and City managed to sign those. The fact that Chelsea were unable to sign a half decent defender tells more about their inability than the alleged lack of good options.

For last, i don't really understand how Chelsea not getting a good defender justifies they getting a ****** one. They just spent huge money for a short-time fix, if that.

Its not just about how great of a defender he has been or is but even about that he had some exceptional defensive performances for Chelsea its just they don't get remembered do they. Its more what he will bring off the pitch with his personality and on the pitch his versatility gives Conte the chance to change formations mid-match without having to make subs.

Really hope we don't see the ultra-defensive set-up of Oscar-Kante-Matic and then Willian on the wings. Now that the absolute liability Ivanovic does not have to start, I would like to see Victor Moses get a start with Fabregas coming into the midfield instead of Oscar.

Also Tammy Abraham is absolutely ripping it up in the Championship. What a player!!

Really hope we don't see the ultra-defensive set-up of Oscar-Kante-Matic and then Willian on the wings. Now that the absolute liability Ivanovic does not have to start, I would like to see Victor Moses get a start with Fabregas coming into the midfield instead of Oscar.

Meh, I'm not that bothered about Cesc at the moment. Oscar's been performing well and deserves to start ahead of Fabregas imo. As for Brana, Conte confirmed that "the chance to play at the start is not high." for Alonso and Luiz, so Brana will probably start. I doubt we'll see much change from the Burnley game tbh, the only exception being Moses for Willian perhaps.

Meh, I'm not that bothered about Cesc at the moment. Oscar's been performing well and deserves to start ahead of Fabregas imo. As for Brana, Conte confirmed that "the chance to play at the start is not high." for Alonso and Luiz, so Brana will probably start. I doubt we'll see much change from the Burnley game tbh, the only exception being Moses for Willian perhaps.

Eventually I hope to see Ivanovic phased out once Luiz and Alonso get up to speed.

Quite excited on Alonso. The last time we bought an unheralded young full-back was Azpilicueta. That one turned out alright didn't it? :P

Eventually I hope to see Ivanovic phased out once Luiz and Alonso get up to speed.

Quite excited on Alonso. The last time we bought an unheralded young full-back was Azpilicueta. That one turned out alright didn't it? :P

I imagine that's Conte's plan, and it couldn't come soon enough tbh. Brana against Liverpool scares the s**t out of me.

Yeah, that signing turned out alright and Alonso does seem very similar to Dave (on paper at least). Nothing special, just a solid fullback.

I imagine that's Conte's plan, and it couldn't come soon enough tbh. Brana against Liverpool scares the s**t out of me.

Yeah, that signing turned out alright and Alonso does seem very similar to Dave (on paper at least). Nothing special, just a solid fullback.

Personally, I'd love to see Ivanovic take on Mane :)

Back