The Chelsea Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Ramires
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35K
  • Views Views 3M
Who would you bring in / replace if it were you Subtle?

The problem for me is that we lack an identity really. It's tempting to look at Liverpool and want to copy that model, to be a very hardworking team that works very well as a unified whole. The thing is, I don't think that's what we're about really. Klopp when he came in said any players that didn't want to play for the club could leave, regardless of talent. Taking the same approach for us would mean losing the likes of Courtois, Hazard and maybe even Costa, and keeping the Oscars, Willians, Ivas.

There's more than one way to skin a rabbit though, and passion doesn't just come from blind devotion to the club and its values. That works for places like Dortmund and Liverpool, who have very passionate, defined identities that are all about their history and their culture. Our club's approach, even at its height, was different and is, IMO, very suited to the best players that we have and to our manager. At our best, we had this sort of nouveau riche arrogance, a "we don't give a **** about your history, we're going to obliterate you here and now" that you also saw in Ancelotti's Madrid, several of the Ferguson United sides and, crucially, in Conte's Juve. The key thing he gave back to them was their arrogance. They didn't just go out and win for the fans and for passion and for rainbows and puppies but because they were ************* Juventus. They were elite, they were special, and holy **** they were going to show it.

That is what we need again. The spirit of Drogba, and A. Cole and Lampard, the stubborn pigheaded refusal to lose. People, IMO, have the completely wrong idea about what is needed from a player in terms of loyalty and passion. Players like Willian and Oscar will fight and die for the badge, and that's great but there's a reason why Lee Cattermole won't be winning the league any time soon.

I think the only way we'll get it back is to be brutal. Cahill has been a faithful and passionate servant to the club, as has Iva. Both are no longer on the level we need, both should be out. Gently, on loan if they need it, and for sod all in return to ease the deal, but out. You keep the players who step up and perform, the players with iron will and the ambition to be the best. Tell Pedro and Willian, you both have until January, the one who doesn't deliver is out. Same with Oscar and Matic. Make it clear to Hazard and Courtois that you're going to stop accepting passionate mediocrity and start stepping back up as a club. That the club shares their amibitions to be one of the elite again and will sign accordingly. In return though, that means the stakes are going back up. We might value them, but if they don't perform, they are going to get benched. If they try and sulk or force a move, they will be going to the reserves. They want ambition from the club? Here it is. Now it's time to shut up and deliver.

Finally you make it clear to the players that the days of charity contract extensions to leaders in the dressing room are over. We tried the soft approach of appeasement, it didn't work. You don't play to the standard needed, you are out. You do, well then you can part of a team that is going to be ambitious enough to win titles, chase the CL, be looking for multiple trophies every single ******* year.

Bring someone in as the new vice in January, ideally a CB, promote them to captain in the summer and make Cesc vice.

Is it just me or are Chelsea are hard to watch? Hazard currently looks in "not arsed" mode lately, which is becoming way too frequent, seems like such a spoilt brat. When he's in the mood, he's a world beater, so why does he not just be hungry all the time? Surely it can't be that hard to turn up with a positive "give me the ball and I'll make things happen" mood when you have all of that talent and when you're on 200k a week or whatever it is.

Now watch him go on to put in a Man Of The Match performance in the second half.

This team is like me playing FIFA on pro or higher. How the **** do I score?

Like Mourinho's second era, I do feel Conte will only get the team he wants next season.

Well we are on the same number of points as United who secured all their summer targets relatively quickly and spent a world record transfer fee as Mourinho was so happily boasting in the summer. They are also managed by someone who knows this league intimately unlike Conte. Considering that, I am feeling a lot better about our start.

This is a Times article:
Conte demands overhaul of Chelsea squad

Matt Hughes, Deputy Football Correspondent

Antonio Conte has told Roman Abramovich that the Chelsea squad that won the Premier League two seasons ago needs to be dismantled and rebuilt because many of the surviving players are incapable of regaining their title-winning form.
It is understood that Conte and Abramovich had lunch at the club’s training ground for the third successive day yesterday, during which they discussed how to overhaul a group of players who were champions just 14 months ago.
Abramovich is believed to be sympathetic to Conte’s requests after watching Chelsea suffer comprehensive defeats by Liverpool and Arsenal in their last two Premier League matches, particularly as the new manager did not demand wholesale changes when he took charge of the club in the summer. Conte was only able to sign one player — N’Golo Kanté — from his own list of transfer targets, with Michy Batshuayi identified by sporting director Michael Emenalo, and David Luiz and Marcos Alonso recruited late in the transfer window as emergency signings.
Conte initially accepted Abramovich’s view that a talented group of players had underperformed dismally under José Mourinho last season because of a breakdown in their relationship with the manager, but eight competitive matches into his reign he appears to have altered his view.
The Italian is understood to have told Abramovich of his fear that several Chelsea players will never reproduce the form they showed for Mourinho the season before last and recommended they be phased out. Nemanja Matic, Oscar, Branislav Ivanovic and Gary Cahill are believed to be the most vulnerable, while Cesc Fàbregas will also be made available for the right price.

Conte has also expressed concern that there is an underlying complacency in the dressing room due to a culture of player-power that has developed over several years and he is determined to stamp it out.
Despite his track record of firing managers, Abramovich remains fully supportive of Conte regardless of Chelsea’s poor start to the season and has accepted many of his findings. The Russian has demonstrated his commitment to improving Chelsea by watching their training sessions every day this week, but has not spoken to the players, preferring to talk to Conte over lunch. The owner is willing to bankroll several signings in January, with a creative central midfield player Conte’s main target, but Chelsea expect to find it difficult to do business.

The Italian is understood to have told Abramovich of his fear that several Chelsea players will never reproduce the form they showed for Mourinho the season before last and recommended they be phased out. Nemanja Matic, Oscar, Branislav Ivanovic and Gary Cahill are believed to be the most vulnerable, while Cesc Fàbregas will also be made available for the right price.

I'd try to get something out of Matic and Fabregas, but the rest are average players for a long time now.

I'd try to get something out of Matic and Fabregas, but the rest are average players for a long time now.

Your overall defensive setup has probably been best in the league so far. Over half of goals conceded have been individual errors. Ivanovic must surely be replaced at right back. He's shocking.

Central defenders is a non issue imo. Zouma and Christensen is a 15 year partnership in the making. You can bring in a starting defender to replace Terry if he does retire room play the 3 at the back. Cahill can then be shipped out .

Defence won't be an issue from next season with those 2. It's the midfield that has issues. Matic and Fabregas haven't lit the world on fire and Oscar isn't the quality to take you to the next level.

Apparently 2 bookies have suspended betting on Antonio Conte being the next manager sacked, bit of a random one that.

apparently the suggestion that conte will leave is nonsense

Never said otherwise, I just find it strange bookies would suspend betting that means there has been serious money laid down on conte that cannot be laid off elsewhere on the exchanges. No need to be sarcastic

Probably the best half of the season so far. Completely dominated the game. If we continue this way, Leicester has no chance.

Congratulations. Now can we finally put to bed once and for all the absolute absordaties that were flying around here this summer that Leicester were for real and a new challenge to build something going forward and not just a bang average group playing well above themselves last year and having every other club decide to take the season off? Please?

Nothing to get carriwes away with as Leicester really are a shadow of themselves this season. Next weekends match against United will be more telling.

****** **** how nice it is to write something positive! For the first time this season and maybe even since Swansea away in January 2015 i think we completed a match with absolutely zero negatives!

Lets start with the formation, so much was written in the summer about 3-5-2 potentially being our formation but it wasn't thought about at all. How can we play a formation with no wingers when we have the likes of Hazard, Willian and Pedro etc hence why Conte knew it was not feasible. Now its only been 2 matches with this 3-4-3 against one poor opposition in Hull and a Leicester side who really are struggling to live up to their highs from last season. However its been 2 very encouraging performances but today we set up a little different from the victory at Hull.

Pre match Eden Hazard stated he wanted to play the #10 role and today he kind of did, he had a very free role and popped up a lot of the time through the centre and he was allowed to do that because of the rampaging performance of Marcos Alonso. Both wing-backs Alonso and Moses were exceptional today and although Moses sometimes gets caught up field with Azpilicueta playing right centre back he naturally comes across to cover for him. Today there is not one bad word i can say about any player even Cahill, Pedro and Matic but i think the two massive standouts were Hazard and of course Kante. 32 million for him is an absolute steel before the Liverpool game i heard Souness state he wasn't a massive fan of him and doesn't see what he does, IS THIS MAN BLIND!!!! To be fair a lot of pundits and media have questioned his performances for us, they quite obviously have only watched highlights of our matches and not the full game.

I cannot finish this without giving a shout out to the 3 academy kids who came on today, 5 of our 7 subs were in fact academy graduates which is something very special. However for me one of the subs for me is ready right now and that is of course Nathaniel Chalobah. His assist today for Moses was outrageous but that aside he doesn't look like a youth player when he plays for us he slots straight in. He's quick, strong, tall and obviously has technique as we saw this afternoon, he for me is earning his space in our first team squad.

So all positives the today and the possibility of Conte and this team finding its system next Sunday when we welcome "the special one" back to the Bridge its going to be a brilliant encounter. With a game full of highlights the day ended with both Spurs and Man City dropping 2 points but the most important and surprising positive today was keeping a clean sheet for the 2nd match in a row!!!

UTC!!!

Back