The Chelsea Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Ramires
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35K
  • Views Views 3M
Congratulations. Now can we finally put to bed once and for all the absolute absordaties that were flying around here this summer that Leicester were for real and a new challenge to build something going forward and not just a bang average group playing well above themselves last year and having every other club decide to take the season off? Please?

Since I watched them against Arsenal this season (in the past one I didn't watch a single one), I've thought Leicester will be battling against relegation this season. Whether they were already average-ish past season or it's the effect of losing some of their big players / stagnation of system (they had a poor end of past season IIRC) I don't know.

P.S. - I'm usually a jinx when I state openly my predictions, so this means probably they'll be far from relegation now that I've said they'd be there.

We have played well against nearly all of the non-elite teams we faced this season. However, we will still need to pick points off the elite teams if we are to have a shot at Top 4.

Found Moses' and Alonso's performance extremely encouraging. Both talented players who were flying under the radar at midtable clubs that we bought cheaply. Finally given a platform to shine, they are working their socks off for the club. This is the way forward for Chelsea until we get a new stadium with the odd superstar signing thrown in every now and then.

We have played well against nearly all of the non-elite teams we faced this season. However, we will still need to pick points off the elite teams if we are to have a shot at Top 4.

Found Moses' and Alonso's performance extremely encouraging. Both talented players who were flying under the radar at midtable clubs that we bought cheaply. Finally given a platform to shine, they are working their socks off for the club. This is the way forward for Chelsea until we get a new stadium with the odd superstar signing thrown in every now and then.

A lot to be said about finding hungry players like Alonso who fit huh as opposed to just dropping x amount of stupid money on a name?

A lot to be said about finding hungry players like Alonso who fit huh as opposed to just dropping x amount of stupid money on a name?

I don't think a big signing would have been necessarily leas hungrier than someone like Alonso albeit perhaps for more selfish individualistic reasons. I do feel this is the right approach for Chelsea now that budget is so tight due to new stadium plans that should by all accounts catapult us into the elite level especially with the new Nike deal next season.

I don't think a big signing would have been necessarily leas hungrier than someone like Alonso albeit perhaps for more selfish individualistic reasons. I do feel this is the right approach for Chelsea now that budget is so tight due to new stadium plans that should by all accounts catapult us into the elite level especially with the new Nike deal next season.

I don't think Conte will be cool with that. He has already voiced his displeasure over missing out on key signings this summer, and a big part of why he left Juve was because of just that. I'm sure he will be looking for the right type of players, but I can't see him being happy to manage a transition of midtable players to better things for 3/4 years, he's too ambitious for that. He did well with what he had with Italy, but people need to remember that they had horrendous injuries issues that cost them many of their best players. When he took the job, I doubt he ever imagined having such a talent drought everywhere outside of the backline.

I don't think Conte will be cool with that. He has already voiced his displeasure over missing out on key signings this summer, and a big part of why he left Juve was because of just that. I'm sure he will be looking for the right type of players, but I can't see him being happy to manage a transition of midtable players to better things for 3/4 years, he's too ambitious for that. He did well with what he had with Italy, but people need to remember that they had horrendous injuries issues that cost them many of their best players. When he took the job, I doubt he ever imagined having such a talent drought everywhere outside of the backline.

Well by all reports though, club did not miss out on those signings due to lack of ambition. It seems we were willing to pay huge sums but backed out only when the selling club decided to demand truly crazy sums.

I agree that we run the risk of being left behind by elite clubs if we only purchase players flying under the radar. But I do think that finances neccesitate a large bulk of our 'signings' arriving through the academy or through the above mentioned strategy. Once we get a new stadium, I think we will be back among the elite in terms of being able to compete right at the top end of the market for players in a financially viable manner.

This strategy could work as seen by United under Fergie. Then we sprinkle it with the odd superstar signing here and there. Someone the club knows will take us to another level and fit into the team straight away. It seems that player will be Griezzmann next summer. I expect us to go in very hard for him especially if we make the top 4.

Conte knew what he was getting into when he signed up for the job. Yes club will make every effort to get his signings but he has to get away from the mind set that he can just hand over a list of elite players to Emeleano and every player will be secured no matter the cost ala Woody and Mourinho.

Well done on that victory, thoroughly deserved. The early goal was huge, that front three of yours are so in sync now that they're knitted closer together, given a complete attacking license with their defensive work being covered by the wing back's. We could've scored a few and made a real game of it, but I'll add no more that. Well played, on par with City as the toughest team we've faced this season.

Well done on that victory, thoroughly deserved. The early goal was huge, that front three of yours are so in sync now that they're knitted closer together, given a complete attacking license with their defensive work being covered by the wing back's. We could've scored a few and made a real game of it, but I'll add no more that. Well played, on par with City as the toughest team we've faced this season.

This 3-4-3 is working very well. Alonso and Moses have been absolute revelations at wing-backs. Hazard certainly seems to be enjoying the freedom he has now. Matic was brilliant today as well. Reminded me of the 14/15 version who was hands down best defensive midfielder in the EPL.

No need to get carried away. Qualifying for CL still remains the aim. We are on track (so far).

No need to get carried away. Qualifying for CL still remains the aim. We are on track (so far).

I really don't know where to peg Chelsea. I had this game today as the battle for fourth place at best. But it has to be said that was a **** of an impressive performance. The quandary comes as you're up there but not having performed against the better sides. The only two you've played you got hammered at Arsenal and comfortably beat at home by ourselves even if the scoreline belied that. Arsenal are very similar in how their seasons rolled.

City, L'pool and Tottenham look a cut above anyone so I'd still have you down as looking at 4th at best. But if momentum got rolling ..... Second quarter of the season will be interesting to watch to see how close the top 5 after that.

I really don't know where to peg Chelsea. I had this game today as the battle for fourth place at best. But it has to be said that was a **** of an impressive performance. The quandary comes as you're up there but not having performed against the better sides. The only two you've played you got hammered at Arsenal and comfortably beat at home by ourselves even if the scoreline belied that. Arsenal are very similar in how their seasons rolled.

City, L'pool and Tottenham look a cut above anyone so I'd still have you down as looking at 4th at best. But if momentum got rolling ..... Second quarter of the season will be interesting to watch to see how close the top 5 after that.

Same here, Chelsea are an odd one... I never know what to expect and I fancied us before todays game. Conte is a great manager but I think no manager has ever adapted a 3 at the back formation into a winning Premer League title campaign. I might be wrong though.

For now it is working very well, I just fear where they turn when teams suss this formation out... because they will eventually.

City, L'pool and Tottenham look a cut above anyone...

I definitely wouldn't say that. City aren't really answering any questions of the questions being thrown at them at the moment, Spurs are without a win in 3, I'd say Liverpool are currently the most in-form team, but neither of the 3 are an entire "cut above" the chasing hopeful's.

Last season Leicester's winning total of 81 points was pretty low, in second place Arsenal had 72 points, the same tally that Everton had back in the 2013/14 season when finishing fifth - I fancy a similar season to that, I reckon 65 points wouldn't even guarantee you Europa League football this season (it has in recent years, barring that 2013/14 season).

I definitely wouldn't say that. City aren't really answering any questions of the questions being thrown at them at the moment, Spurs are without a win in 3, I'd say Liverpool are currently the most in-form team, but neither of the 3 are an entire "cut above" the chasing hopeful's.

Last season Leicester's winning total of 81 points was pretty low, in second place Arsenal had 72 points, the same tally that Everton had back in the 2013/14 season when finishing fifth - I fancy a similar season to that, I reckon 65 points wouldn't even guarantee you Europa League football this season.

City are in a poor run of form but there's nobody played the brand of football those three have this season.

If you held a gun to my head I'd say that's as good a guaranteed three of the top 4 as you'll get and everyone else is scrambling for the last place.

Last edited:
City are in a poor run of form but there's nobody played the brand of football those three have this season.

Well that's a different debate, if we're basing it solely on style or brand of football then Arsenal have been the best team in England for the past decade or more. If all of those sides complete the top 3 comfortably, then fair play, but I personally don't think they're an entire cut above the other clubs, in particular Arsenal, Chelsea (since they sorted this new system out) & co.

Well that's a different debate, if we're basing it solely on style or brand of football then Arsenal have been the best team in England for the past decade or more. If all of those sides complete the top 3 comfortably, then fair play, but I personally don't think they're an entire cut above the other clubs, in particular Arsenal, Chelsea (since they sorted this new system out) & co.

I don't even know what Arsenal's style/ identity is any more. Wenger has changed a lot the last 5 years. I think his players get caught in the flux a lot of the time and don't know exactly what's expected.

Would have been interesting to see us play this formation against Liverpool and Arsenal, however them games are gone and we havn't lost any ground so

Now as i usually do i'd like to get the negatives out the way first so bare with me...

Now i've taken care of the negatives ;) its time to try and put what we all just witnessed into words. Could that have gone any better ladies and gents??? I cannot remember the last time i always felt in control and knew was not going to lose the match it was a joy to watch. Now i've dug out a lot of players in the recent 18 months but one more than most (other than Oscar) and that is Matic but today he was absolutely exceptional he bossed the midfield his best performance for us other than the away win at City a few years ago.

I think the biggest plus is the continued success of this 3-4-3 formation, 3 games, 3 wins, 9 goals scored and 0 conceded since Conte ditched 4-2-3-1. Its still early days but we all felt we needed to beat a bigger/better side with it after wins against Hull and Leicester. Its hard to access it today though as i felt the early goal rattled Utd however from the 1-0 to the second goal i felt that's when this formation really came into its own. Moses and Alonso pushed so far forward it penned Rashford and Lingard into the backline which left Ibrahimovic isolated, both Moses and Alonso yet again were sublime. I genuinely once again for the second game running cannot pick a weak link every single player was outstanding even Courtois making very good stops and plucking crosses out the air. The back 3 absolutely solid, Kante well we've got used to what he does he's so consistent and the goal topped off the day. Hazard a little more quieter but took his goal brilliantly but the one i want to pick out is Pedro. He was very impressive against Leicester but today he took it up a notch. The positions he was taking up made me think this formation suits him so much because he can play more centrally (width given by Moses) and make runs in behind the back line and its more the game he was accustomed to at Barcelona.

Away from the players seeing Conte on the touchline and seeing/hearing Jose after the match i'm starting to see what opposition fans saw when he was manager of us on both occasions. How on earth can he question Conte celebrating at 4-0 up, who is he to tell a fellow manager how he can and cannot atc at any given time! He's the biggest hypocrite and sorest loser since one Sir Alex Ferguson, he and Man Utd are a match made in heaven. Thank you for the multiple trophies and memories Jose but this game has passed you by, your as stubborn as your arch enemy Monsieur Wenger.

How fitting that on a day we remember the great Matthew Harding Pedro hits the back of the net right in front of the stand named after the great man. That victory and performance was for you Sir.

UTC!!

Back