The Chelsea Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Ramires
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35K
  • Views Views 3M
Oh heck everyone will drop points. That's football.

It's amusing me mooching round social media tonight seeing L'pool 'fans' going nuts over not winning yesterday. If you can't take 13 from 15 points since your last loss then something is seriously wrong and the team above you must be well clear.

The out of reality way people today lose it when their team doesn't win a game of football has to be seen to be believed. Thank the Lord someone like Paisley wasn't in the social media era as the times his great sides got walloped at places like Coventry in one off games 4 or 5 they'd be calling for his head on a stick!

But it's not dropping points or losing games that matter. It's how you respond the next game and putting another run of games together after that.

Totally agree, and we responded by winning 13 in a row lol.

Draw would be decent, keep the top 6 at bay, and keep hammering everyone else. Only 2 points dropped outside top 6 and that was Swansea

It is certainly strange that all the top 6 sides have hammered non-top 6 teams and only dropped significant points against the big teams. That is a very far cry from last season when big teams were dropping points to smaller teams every weekend. If this trend continues into the second half, the match ups between the big sides will definitely increase in significance.

In fairness it's only Chelsea not dropping against the non top 6, everyone else has dropped at least 8, but for the most part, the rest of the league are being put away.

I don't want to comment on the first article. Someone does need to take a look and rethink how fixtures are decided. This season Chelsea are the favoured side but there have been other seasons where we were not. Just the way it is. Off he top of head, we had to play a FA Cup Final vs Liverpool and CL semi against Barcelona within the space of 4 days in 11/12 season?

The second article is interesting not because I believe the bunkum from Emeleano for one minute. Realistically, we will never see a Fergie-esque reign at any top club for a long time. At the maximum, we can hope Conte stays for 3-5 seasons. Whats more important is that regardless of who the manager is, there has to be a sense of continuity at the club akin to the Swansea model before they went to ****.

Emelano has to come up with a general philosophy. These are the broad principles upon which this club will play football. These are the broad principles we will use to educate all age groups at the club. Every decision, be it a managerial or player signing will be taken in accordance with these principles.

We cannot have another situation where we appoint AVB and give him the mandate to play Barcelona-lite football with emphasis on possession and a high line then sack him and revert to Benitez/Mourinho's more pragmatic low-block counter-attacking football when results go to ****. The problem with that is then we are left with a squad that is extremely confused and unsuited to play either style perfectly forcing us to continously go through this 'transition' period for 1-2 seasons before becoming genuinely competitive again by offloading players like Mata and getting in players like Costa and Matic.

The Swansea model really is the perfect one for modern football. Club as a whole takes a decision that they will always play football in a certain way and made all decisions like managerial appointments and player signings in accordance with their chosen style. This ensures that there is minimal disruption if a manager gets sacked etc.

The Swansea model really is the perfect one for modern football. Club as a whole takes a decision that they will always play football in a certain way and made all decisions like managerial appointments and player signings in accordance with their chosen style. This ensures that there is minimal disruption if a manager gets sacked etc.

It was until the ownership change and everything going to ****.

Since then everything that had stood them in such good stead has gone out of the window as they've gotten away from their identity and everything that worked so well.

I'd try to get a RB this winter, or in the summer at most. As much as I like Moses, he is not solid defensively. We need him in matches where the opponent sits deep, but I get nervous when we do it, with him on the pitch. Azpilicueta there would be great too, if we get a CB instead.

That was a non game if ever i saw one, 2 pieces of quality rolled in with shocking defensive errors was the difference today but Spurs most certainly deserved the win. My worry before the match was that Spurs's midfield duo of Wanyama and Dembele would over run ours and that is exactly what happened far more than i could even imagine. Kante had his worst 90 minutes of football since he's been in this country well for us because he played more balls to Spurs players then his own tonight!

He wasn't alone, Alonso, Pedro, Moses all shocking that along with them nullifying Hazard we never stood a chance. That's now 4 really poor goals conceded in 2 matches is it a cause for concern?? Will be good to look at Zouma in this back 3 on Sunday just to see if it could be an improvement.

All we can do is dust ourselves off, accept the defeat and prey Conte gets things right again like he has done in abundance so far this season. But Chelsea, that was absolutely **** poor!

I must say I was particularly interested in seeing if Tottenham could get a result against you guys, a draw I feel would have been a good result for Chelsea. The reason I was interested is because Tottenham have the most similar style to ours imo - possibly City too, and they did come close - and it will be interesting to see if we can do the same.

It does seem like the left half space could be an area to target, because Hazard has been freed of defensive responsibility, but it will be much more difficult without Mane. Really looking forward to that match, could easily go either way!

I must say I was particularly interested in seeing if Tottenham could get a result against you guys, a draw I feel would have been a good result for Chelsea. The reason I was interested is because Tottenham have the most similar style to ours imo - possibly City too, and they did come close - and it will be interesting to see if we can do the same.

It does seem like the left half space could be an area to target, because Hazard has been freed of defensive responsibility, but it will be much more difficult without Mane. Really looking forward to that match, could easily go either way!

For what it's worth, if you didn't see the game, I don't think Spurs approached this in the manner in which they normally would. I was very intrigued I saw the starting 11 pre-kick off, practically matching Chelsea man for man in that 3-4-2-1 like system, and to be fair that summed the game up, cancelling each other out for large parts, lots of scrappy spells. There wasn't a whole pile between them barring Spurs being more ruthless in the final third. All in all, I thought it was a shrewd stroke from Poch. But I can't see Klopp tinkering his system for any team, I'm not saying that's a negative nor a positive, he just comes across as one of those "you worry about us, not us about you" managers, committed to his system, as is Conte, so I don't think this would be a good game to give you an idea.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, if you didn't see the game, I don't think Spurs approached this in the manner in which they normally would. I was very intrigued I saw the starting 11 pre-kick off, practically matching Chelsea man for man in that 3-4-2-1 like system, and to be fair that summed the game up, cancelling each other out for large parts, lots of scrappy spells. There wasn't a whole pile between them barring Spurs being more ruthless in the final third. All in all, I thought it was a shrewd stroke from Poch. But I can't see Klopp tinkering his system for any team, I'm not saying that's a negative nor a positive, he just comes across as one of those "you worry about us, not us about you" managers, committed to his system, as is Conte, so I don't think this would be a good game to give you an idea.

Unfortunately I was unable to see it, but I did hear that Poch matched Chelsea's formation. However it does seem that the high pressing from Kane, Alli and Eriksen unsettled Chelsea and that is something we are good at. I wouldn't expect to see Klopp alter much, but I don't necessarily think the formations need to be matched to achieve the same result. I think style is much more important than formation.

In a way you could argue that at time we would resemble a 3-4-3, with Henderson dropping between the CB's, fullbacks pushing up and wingers tucking inside. Not that I'd want Henderson man-marking Costa, even if he can stare him down

I know Mikel is like the Nickelback of Chelsea players, but I kinda feel sad to see him go. Not a flashy player by all means, but always reliable from my POV. Other than the World Cup, this guy has won everything while he was at Chelsea.
The Champions League final is the match I will always remember him for. He was ******* immense that game.

Get French Football– ‏@GFFN

yH5BAEKAAEALAAAAAANAAwAAAILjI+py+0Po5y0ngIAOw==

Breaking | Lille target Michy Batshuayi is set to join Swansea on loan with Fernando Llorente going the other way, according to @DiMarzio.
3:01 pm - 6 Jan 2017
153 RETWEETS88 LIKES.

Back