The Chelsea Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Ramires
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35K
  • Views Views 3M
Would be very happy with Nainggolan. His arrival would open up a lot of options. We could possibly see Conte switching to a 3-5-2 especially if Morata arrives with Kante, Rajda and Fabregas in the middle.
Great player!

Can they afford his wages without having to clear a few players off the books first? I read a piece yesterday that they struggled to give the front 3 the new contracts and stay in line with FFP. Can't see them affording another 200k + a week player. Add to that most likely 100m close transfer fee then agent fees on top. Can defo see him costing more than Pogba if PSG do sell.

They need to clear some players off their books anyway, too much dead wood there that doesn't do much more than provide cover. And some of them are barely providing that, you might as well bring academy players in to fill those backup roles and spend the money on making the first team tick again.

A midfield of Veratti, Busquets and Rakitic would be seriously solid, and give them a lot of the control they've been missing in midfield back.

Can they afford his wages without having to clear a few players off the books first? I read a piece yesterday that they struggled to give the front 3 the new contracts and stay in line with FFP. Can't see them affording another 200k + a week player. Add to that most likely 100m close transfer fee then agent fees on top. Can defo see him costing more than Pogba if PSG do sell.

Its not actually FFP thats constraining them its the La Liga rule that only 70 percent of turnover can be spent on wages same for Madrid just to a lesser extent

Noobs all of you, they don't need Verratti really, they have FM legend Sergi Samper.

Reports about Madrid going in for Hazard and Courtois. I do suspect that if we are to sell them, it will take world-record transfer fees from Madrid.

Reports about Madrid going in for Hazard and Courtois. I do suspect that if we are to sell them, it will take world-record transfer fees from Madrid.
Yeah seen in the Guardian and a few press in Spain. Would take a huge sum of money that's for sure. What you reckon about 150m Sterling for the pair. Always had an inkling Hazard would be there next galactico signing.

So who would you guys replace Hazard, Costa, Courtois with? Maybe Donnaramma, Lukaku then one of Coman or Silva.

Yeah seen in the Guardian and a few press in Spain. Would take a huge sum of money that's for sure. What you reckon about 150m Sterling for the pair. Always had an inkling Hazard would be there next galactico signing.

Might be even more. Chelsea are under no pressure to sell Hazard as he has 3 years left on his contract. Courtois will have 2 years so his situation is slightly tricky but he has come out and said that he will not push for a move. Of course players say one thing and might go do something else but whats very important is that both are very happy at Chelsea under Conte. So it will really take world-record transfer fees to prise them away especially as the club is looking at European football next season.

For me personally I would not sell them regardless of the fee offered. We are on the cusp of breaking into the top bracket of European elite clubs alongside Bayern, Barcelona and Madrid. 2-3 smart sigings in the summer and we will have a squad as good as any in Europe. Selling either one of Costa, Courtois or Hazard will push us back significantly.

Might be even more. Chelsea are under no pressure to sell Hazard as he has 3 years left on his contract. Courtois will have 2 years so his situation is slightly tricky but he has come out and said that he will not push for a move. Of course players say one thing and might go do something else but whats very important is that both are very happy at Chelsea under Conte. So it will really take world-record transfer fees to prise them away especially as the club is looking at European football next season.

For me personally I would not sell them regardless of the fee offered. We are on the cusp of breaking into the top bracket of European elite clubs alongside Bayern, Barcelona and Madrid. 2-3 smart sigings in the summer and we will have a squad as good as any in Europe. Selling either one of Costa, Courtois or Hazard will push us back significantly.
Tbh but I think you can get by losing Costa and Cortois. Hazard not so much.

Tbh but I think you can get by losing Costa and Cortois. Hazard not so much.

Courtois perhaps but I think people have really underestimated just what Costa has brought to the side this season. A huge reason for our good season so far.

To lose Hazard would be disastrous. To lose either of the other two would also be really bad.

Also, I don't think Courtois could be replaced?! Certainly not with ease. Who's out there that's available at his level? De Gea and Neuer is not even worth a debate, Lloris wouldn't venture across London. Before the "Chelsea are a defensive team so their keeper doesn't need to be world class" lazy comments, Courtois has pulled off some REALLY big saves in big moments of matches this season, and in his own right, is just as responsible as Kante, Hazard or Costa etc is for where Chelsea are. The guy is truly world class.

As seen with City and Liverpool, the grass is not always greener, Bravo and Karius not the keepers they thought they signed (at least not yet in the latter case), so Courtois could take some replacing.

Can't speak for Hazard, but Courtois ain't going anywhere.

“I have two years [left on my] contract, so far we have not talked about [a renewal]. Would I like to extend? Of course. I am very happy at Chelsea and if they wanted to continue with me, it would be great.”
"I do not see myself at Real Madrid. I see myself at Chelsea, I feel like I'm a key to the team."
“No, [I will not be at Real Madrid next year]”.
-Thibaut Courtois; source: Cadena SER via Google Translate

Last edited:
To lose Hazard would be disastrous. To lose either of the other two would also be really bad.

Also, I don't think Courtois could be replaced?! Certainly not with ease. Who's out there that's available at his level? De Gea and Neuer is not even worth a debate, Lloris wouldn't venture across London. Before the "Chelsea are a defensive team so their keeper doesn't need to be world class" lazy comments, Courtois has pulled off some REALLY big saves in big moments of matches this season, and in his own right, is just as responsible as Kante, Hazard or Costa etc is for where Chelsea are. The guy is truly world class.

As seen with City and Liverpool, the grass is not always greener, Bravo and Karius not the keepers they thought they signed (at least not yet in the latter case), so Courtois could take some replacing.
Oh I'm not saying the other 2 are not great players or haven't been important this season. And it would be bad to lose them. But I think there are players out there that could replace Costa goals. Obviously not proven in our league. And some very good keepers around, but tbh some of them are maybe too young atm!

I'd rather have Costa and Hazard still in blue starting next season, but he is a quality player no doubt.

Well Sanchez is not being mooted as a replacement for either Costa or Hazard but as an additional player to those two.

From what I have read, unless we get a truly unreal offer (significantly higher than world record fee), no chance Hazard leaves this summer. He does not look like he will push for a move either. Costa will be allowed to leave if he wants to. Morata or Lukaku are his touted replacements.

Well Sanchez is not being mooted as a replacement for either Costa or Hazard but as an additional player to those two.

From what I have read, unless we get a truly unreal offer (significantly higher than world record fee), no chance Hazard leaves this summer. He does not look like he will push for a move either. Costa will be allowed to leave if he wants to. Morata or Lukaku are his touted replacements.

That would be the end of Willian/Pedro, possibly both. I don't see them playing second fiddle for an entire season. Sanchez is probably better than both of them, but I kinda grew fond of Pedro, and Willian is ...well Willian. Gives his heart out every game.

Back