The Chelsea Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Ramires
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35K
  • Views Views 3M
Hey what. Lukaku was our first choice, he admitted himself on MUTV we had been in talks for months. Mourinho admitted our interest in Moratta but it sounded like he was a back up option if Lukaku went to Chelsea. As soon as we got a wif that Chelsea were dragging there feet and we could do a deal with Everton, while discussing Rooney we sealed it and told Madrid to do one.

Personally think both are fantastic young STRs with pro and cons. I'm certain both will score goals. Might just take Moratta a bit of time to adapt. Gonna be ***** till season starts though Lukaku vs Morata **** has already started.

Just because you had been in talks for months does not mean he was your first choicd. Clubs regularly talk to a number of players and agents to keep their options open in case they do not get their first choice.

Hey what. Lukaku was our first choice, he admitted himself on MUTV we had been in talks for months. Mourinho admitted our interest in Moratta but it sounded like he was a back up option if Lukaku went to Chelsea. As soon as we got a wif that Chelsea were dragging there feet and we could do a deal with Everton, while discussing Rooney we sealed it and told Madrid to do one.....

How it's now being spun and what you chose to buy is your prerogative.

No question Utd had been talking to Everton for a while over Lukaku. But unless you're buying that all the weeks of Morata back and forth was just in case Lukaku didn't happen, or just some sort of rouse as I've seen suggested elsewhere to secretly nab Lukaku; when the Morata deal was at the forefront of everyone on an almost daily basis like Di Marzio you lads are killed telling everyone they should listen to, then forgive anyone for not totally buying that. At all. You lads were all over Morata being the perfect signing until it flipped to Lukaku.

And before either there was Greizmann.

It all adds up though to say Lukaku was... you scramble with a last minute matched bid to try and get him. Then when you miss out suddenly you get Morata... it just sounds like you were too slow with the first target (unwilling to pay whatever you make of it) then scrambled to get Morata as the backup.

Personally I don't even see who else there even could of been other than those two, Belotti with his insane release clause but that's about it.

Also just to add, the 'matched bid' was just purely optics. We never really matched your bid. We refused to pay Raiola's fee and were not adding the sweetener of getting Rooney on free. I don't know why media keeps going on about United hijacking Chelsea's Lukaku bid because we were nowhere close to getting him. The gap in the fees was very large and Everton don't like us anyways.

Also just to add, the 'matched bid' was just purely optics. We never really matched your bid. We refused to pay Raiola's fee and were not adding the sweetener of getting Rooney on free. I don't know why media keeps going on about United hijacking Chelsea's Lukaku bid because we were nowhere close to getting him. The gap in the fees was very large and Everton don't like us anyways.

Feeling here from the outset was always they'd of sold to Chelsea or anyone so long as the price they wanted was met. That was all Moshiri wanted regardless of who paid it. Which they feel they have got to their ends with the probably £90 million and £10 million Rooney valuation. That wasn't met they weren't too bothered about keeping him. It was a win/win from the blues stand point.

Utd having the trump card of Rooney then put them in pole position.

Not often if ever I applaud Chelsea over anything but good on you for not lining Raiola's pockets more. No problem with agents getting paid the standard but that fella's just a complete parasite.

How it's now being spun and what you chose to buy is your prerogative.

No question Utd had been talking to Everton for a while over Lukaku. But unless you're buying that all the weeks of Morata back and forth was just in case Lukaku didn't happen, or just some sort of rouse as I've seen suggested elsewhere to secretly nab Lukaku; when the Morata deal was at the forefront of everyone on an almost daily basis like Di Marzio you lads are killed telling everyone they should listen to, then forgive anyone for not totally buying that. At all. You lads were all over Morata being the perfect signing until it flipped to Lukaku.

And before either there was Greizmann.
it was Griezmann and a STR we wanted.

Feeling here from the outset was always they'd of sold to Chelsea or anyone so long as the price they wanted was met. That was all Moshiri wanted regardless of who paid it. Which they feel they have got to their ends with the probably £90 million and £10 million Rooney valuation. That wasn't met they weren't too bothered about keeping him. It was a win/win from the blues stand point.

Utd having the trump card of Rooney then put them in pole position.

Not often if ever I applaud Chelsea over anything but good on you for not lining Raiola's pockets more. No problem with agents getting paid the standard but that fella's just a complete parasite.

Chelsea never shy away from paying agents huge fees to get deals over the line. Problem always was that Everton's valuation was too far away from ours and they completely refused to budge. Madrid were more flexible and willing to negotiate if one approached it correctly. Initial fee of £58m with add-ons taking it to £70m for Morata is an absolutely spectaular deal in today's market considering initial fee for Lukaku alone is £75m with add-ons of another £15m and Rooney sweetener to boot.

As I mentioned before, Chelsea executives led by Marina among the best in the business. They are not perfect by any means but they sure as **** get a lot more right than wrong.

Well ****, I thought you'd stood on principle on Raiola.

Darn it. It's about time somebody did.

Both clubs basically swapped their initial first choice targets, but tbh it's almost a toss of a coin. Instead of debating who's better at this, that and the other, let's let them do the talking come August. I'd be happy with either of them, and equally be disappointed if a rival signed either of them.

If anyone (who is interested) has the time Real Madrid published a video on Morata's history yesterday...

[video=youtube;BjGXAg0EvUQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjGXAg0EvUQ[/video]

I know footballers are a rather superstitious bunch but Morata takes it to another level.

Looking forward to see what our next moves are in the market. Fully expecting another 3 first team players to come in. One CM in the mould of a physically imposing destroyer to replace Matic. A wide player who can double up as a striker if need be and a full-back. That is the bare minimum. Squad still thin in one or two areas even after those moves.

Antonio Conte eyes Fernando Llorente to act as back-up to new Chelsea signing Alvaro Morata - but Swansea want £30m

Syncs with what other sources are saying. Llorente and Benteke both good options. Big men who offer something different to Morata and equally comfortable leading the line or playing in a two man system.

Not sure why we should let Batshuayi go. We need at least 3 strikers for the upcoming campaign. Morata can double up as a wide player if necessary which means the addition of one player will give us sufficient quality and depth across the front 3. First team squad is looking awfully thin atm.

Pipe dream that it is but Sanchez would be absolutely perfect. I expect that saga to really pick up pace once he ends his holiday.

It's not any spin. Lukaku was first choice for both. And Chelsea looked favourites. Morata was always going to be difficult for United because they would always use De Gea as leverage.

What does annoy me about the whole thing is that if this had happened the other way round, everyone would be talking about United spinning. I literally couldn't give a **** about either striker. Both are going to be lethal. Both deserve far more credit than they get

Batshuayi making a huge case for being second choice striker this season. Also Alonso has just ended Ox's career...

Cesc Fabregas is a genius on the football pitch. He will go down as one of the greatest midfielders to have every played the game for sure.

Yeah, great player. One of the all time PL bests with your Gerrard's, Lampard's, Keanes, Viera's... but falls short of the Platini's, Pirlo's, Xavi's, Zidane's etc. category for me. The absolute elite

Scholes for me is the closest to this category from the PL era, but an opinion is like an ***, everyone has one.

Back