The Chelsea Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Ramires
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35K
  • Views Views 3M
Yeah, great player. One of the all time PL bests with your Gerrard's, Lampard's, Keanes, Viera's... but falls short of the Platini's, Pirlo's, Xavi's, Zidane's etc. category for me. The absolute elite

Scholes for me is the closest to this category from the PL era, but an opinion is like an ***, everyone has one.

I'm surprised so few ever talk about Beckham in these lists on this forum.

Yeah, great player. One of the all time PL bests with your Gerrard's, Lampard's, Keanes, Viera's... but falls short of the Platini's, Pirlo's, Xavi's, Zidane's etc. category for me. The absolute elite

Scholes for me is the closest to this category from the PL era, but an opinion is like an ***, everyone has one.

I'm surprised so few ever talk about Beckham in these lists on this forum.
Yeah should be in the convo for sure. Defo put him up there with the players RhQQ mentions.

Beckham was a right winger. Well, maybe not a winger of such, but was definitely based on the right.

Forgot about Alonso, another midfielder closer to that elite category (if not already in it) than Fabregas. But perhaps there's a little bit of "still playing" bias.

Fabregas for me is one of the most overrated players of all time. Can't tackle, zero positional sense and slower than a tortoise. Can never compare him to all time great prem mids in Scholes, Gerrard, Keane and Viera. Too many flaws in his game for me to be great.

Last edited:
Fabregas for me is one of the most overrated players of all time. Can't tackle, zero positional sense and slower than a tortoise. Can never compare him to all time great prem mids in Scholes, Gerrard, Keane and Viera. Too many flaws in his game for me to be great.

You say can't tackle and slower than a tortoise precludes him from being great yet you mention Scholes as a great...

Also since when does pace and tackling have to be pre-requisites for a creative playmaking CM to be considered great? The argument on zero positional sense is absurd as it does not apply to Fabregas.

Hes a good player. But one of the greatest ever I'm not so sure!

He is way more than just a 'good player'. Won nearly every trophy. Played for 3 of the top clubs in the world. Captained one of them at an absurdly young age. 2nd most assists in the EPL despite playing far fewer games than others behind and ahead of him on the list. I could go on and on...

He is way more than just a 'good player'. Won nearly every trophy. Played for 3 of the top clubs in the world. Captained one of them at an absurdly young age. 2nd most assists in the EPL despite playing far fewer games than others behind and ahead of him on the list. I could go on and on...
Sorry he's just not one of the best ever.

You say can't tackle and slower than a tortoise precludes him from being great yet you mention Scholes as a great...

Also since when does pace and tackling have to be pre-requisites for a creative playmaking CM to be considered great? The argument on zero positional sense is absurd as it does not apply to Fabregas.
He's a good player but to be a great you need to be at the top of you're game for longer. He dominates when the situation suits him, very easy to nullify him and once you do that he's basically a passenger in the game. Positional sense does apply because the older you get the less running required and the need to position yourself in a way you can effect the game without the ball. Without the ball he is a passenger at times. Conte was really clever though, using Fabregas in the late stages of the game often when Chelsea had more of the ball. Think he came on against West brom and instantly assisted for Costa.

Apparently Kenedy thought it would be smart to write F*** China on Instagram, needless to say it apparently hasn't gone down well

Clownish behaviour from him. Particularly dislike players who are too into social media to try and build their own personal 'brand'. The entire circus of rap videos etc. Learn to play the fking game at the top level first.

As Jamie Redknapp said, the idol for every young player should be someone like Kante. No frills. Train hard, win trophies and then do what you want.

Bakayoko seems to be in the same mould as Kenedy. Apprently created this crazy professional video of him entering London. If thats how he is after ONE good season at the top level then god help us all...

I agree to an extent with your second point Alc, but people, especially the British media, pundits etc. are waaaayy too against players showing a bit of individualism.

Yes it's nice to have a quiet professional like Scholes, Kante, etc. - But it's also nice to have a bit of character in the game too. E.g. the likes of Evra sharing his quirky happy vids, Conte or Klopp dancing up and down the touchline, Ibra often referring to himself in the third person, even these daft but laughable celebrations - it's nice to see some personality too.

This point isn't directed at you, I've been saying that it's a big fault with the British Media/Pundits/General perception for ages now.

I agree to an extent with your second point Alc, but people, especially the British media, pundits etc. are waaaayy too against players showing a bit of individualism.

Yes it's nice to have a quiet professional like Scholes, Kante, etc. - But it's also nice to have a bit of character in the game too. E.g. the likes of Evra sharing his quirky happy vids, Conte or Klopp dancing up and down the touchline, Ibra often referring to himself in the third person, even these daft but laughable celebrations - it's nice to see some personality too.

This point isn't directed at you, I've been saying that it's a big fault with the British Media/Pundits/General perception for ages now.

I enjoy characters with personality in the game as long as they back it up on the pitch. The likes of Zlatan and Evra have won trophies and had brilliant careers. What I am against is someone like Kenedy or Bakayoko taking to social media to build up their own brand when they haven't achieved diddly squat yet. Its annoying and gives a terrible impression to the fans.

Manufactured individualism, you mean. All of that **** is cooked by marketing teams, you don't seriously think that 19 year high school dropout footballers come up with an idea to "build their brand", do you?

It wasn't so long ago when Cantona was considered controversial because he would pop his collar. And he was a superstar. Nowadays, a teenager kicks ball half decently twice, and week later he already has dance and song videos out on You Tube, sports a new weirdass haircut, and has exhibition of his own paintings made with monkey feces. Give me a break.

Manufactured individualism, you mean. All of that **** is cooked by marketing teams, you don't seriously think that 19 year high school dropout footballers come up with an idea to "build their brand", do you?

It wasn't so long ago when Cantona was considered controversial because he would pop his collar. And he was a superstar. Nowadays, a teenager kicks ball half decently twice, and week later he already has dance and song videos out on You Tube, sports a new weirdass haircut, and has exhibition of his own paintings made with monkey feces. Give me a break.

I mean probably yeah, it's hardly like its a revolutionary idea. They will get someone in to help them do it for sure but they would likely also be smart enough to realise it is a pretty easy way to make money

Deep breath, accept, and move on - The game changes, gents :D

grumpy-old-man-cartoon.png

Back