The Chelsea Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Ramires
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35K
  • Views Views 3M
The best deals are rarely found at the end of the window. Exceptions do not prove the rule.

Take for example the Barkley and Ox situation. Both into the last year of their contracts. Club are waiting till as close as possible to deadline day to strike a bargain deal. So late into the window and facing the risk of losing them for nothing next summer, Arsenal and Everton will likely take whatever is on the table at that point.

Signings are needed but thats no reason to panic. The best deals are always found at the end of the transfer window. Alonso and Luiz came on transfer deadline day last summer and won us the league. Thankfully clubs are run by executives who don't completely panic after one game.

Really? That's a very dodgy strategy to have!

The best deals are rarely found at the end of the window. Exceptions do not prove the rule.

No exceptions at all. In terms of value, the best deals are found at the end of the window. Its why Levy always conducts his business at the very end and strikes some excellent bargains for Tottenham.

People forget that Chelsea is no longer the club of the old that throws money around. Finances are being managed very carefully which is why its taking so long to do business. Even a club with a bottomless war chest like United were struggling in the market before we handed Matic over on a silver platter.

Only club who got their business done early is City by overpaying considerably for most of their signings.

Many rival clubs are gloating but every single EPL club has struggled this window. Spurs have not brought anyone in yet. Liverpool are going to be more occupied trying to hold onto Coutinho and have not strengthened in their weak areas. United were doing terribly before we handed Matic on a silver platter. Arsenal plod along like they always do. City overpaid considerably for their signings.

Chelsea have secured three major signings at bargain prices in today's market. We are four okayers short who will likely make up numbers in the squad. Barkley and Ox will most likely move for sure closer to deadline day. Same for VVD. Drinkwater looks likely this week. Bakayoko, Pedro and Hazard still to return to full fitness.

Many rival clubs are gloating but every single EPL club has struggled this window. Spurs have not brought anyone in yet. Liverpool are going to be more occupied trying to hold onto Coutinho and have not strengthened in their weak areas. United were doing terribly before we handed Matic on a silver platter. Arsenal plod along like they always do. City overpaid considerably for their signings.

Chelsea have secured three major signings at bargain prices in today's market. We are four okayers short who will likely make up numbers in the squad. Barkley and Ox will most likely move for sure closer to deadline day. Same for VVD. Drinkwater looks likely this week. Bakayoko, Pedro and Hazard still to return to full fitness.

Hey you're entitled to your opinion but I don't think getting Lukaku and Linfelof is terrible. Sure it may not be an ideal window but far from terrible.

Hey you're entitled to your opinion but I don't think getting Lukaku and Linfelof is terrible. Sure it may not be an ideal window but far from terrible.

Definitely were not strengthening the areas that Mourinho had set out. Lukaku is a replacement for Zlatan. Only Linfelof a value addition. Woody was struggling to get any other deals over the line. Still is. Matic was handed to you lot on a platter.

Definitely were not strengthening the areas that Mourinho had set out. Lukaku is a replacement for Zlatan. Only Linfelof a value addition. Woody was struggling to get any other deals over the line. Still is. Matic was handed to you lot on a platter.

If that's your logic then you've had a terrible window too. Morata replaces Costa and Bakayoko replaces Matic (*arguable* slight downgrades in terms of PL, time will tell). Rudiger your only "value addition"

If that's your logic then you've had a terrible window too. Morata replaces Costa and Bakayoko replaces Matic (*arguable* slight downgrades in terms of PL, time will tell). Rudiger your only "value addition"

I never argued otherwise.

What the holy **** are you talking about?

United wanted a central defender, deep centre mid, main striker and winger. They have 3/4. United have strengthened in 3/4. And even now zlatan will arrive again in Jan as back up

I really don't know how you're trying to spin Chelsea's business as good when your own manager is ****** off about it. Sound like Wenger "we've bought players for good value"

You're 4 players short with 3 weeks to go, and your manager is ****** that the club have lost him two targets in Lukaku and Koulibaly (thank goodness Morata was available), that he's lost a player he counted on in Matic, and most of his rivals are beefing up. Its a good thing Liverpool shot themselves in the foot over VVD or it would be worse

What the holy **** are you talking about?

United wanted a central defender, deep centre mid, main striker and winger. They have 3/4. United have strengthened in 3/4. And even now zlatan will arrive again in Jan as back up

And they only strengthened 2/4 and were struggling to get other deals over the line. They would still be in the same
predicament if we had not given Matic iver.

I really don't know how you're trying to spin Chelsea's business as good when your own manager is ****** off about it. Sound like Wenger "we've bought players for good value"

You're 4 players short with 3 weeks to go, and your manager is ****** that the club have lost him two targets in Lukaku and Koulibaly (thank goodness Morata was available), that he's lost a player he counted on in Matic, and most of his rivals are beefing up. Its a good thing Liverpool shot themselves in the foot over VVD or it would be worse

Please tell me where I said Chelsea had a good transfer window? All I said was that every single EPL club is struggling. Even United were struggling to get deals over the line before we handed Matic over. They still have not managed to complete a single deal since even though its well known Mourinho wants one more player. If we had not handed Matic over, woody would be scrambling for two first team players this late into the window as well.

Club never lost Koulibaly and that never showed an interst in him this summer anyways. The reason they did not get him last summer was because Napoli demanded a crazy price.

Only club that have strengthened quickly is City but they overpaid massively for some mediocre players.

And they only strengthened 2/4 and were struggling to get other deals over the line. They would still be in the same
predicament if we had not given Matic iver.
But the club did get him so the situation is different, Chelsea have to do a lot of buying and every man and his dog knows it and will put an extra few million on the price tag that they reserve for premier league teams

Please tell me where I said Chelsea had a good transfer window? All I said was that every single EPL club is struggling. Even United were struggling to get deals over the line before we handed Matic over. They still have not managed to complete a single deal since even though its well known Mourinho wants one more player. If we had not handed Matic over, woody would be scrambling for two first team players this late into the window as well.

Club never lost Koulibaly and that never showed an interst in him this summer anyways. The reason they did not get him last summer was because Napoli demanded a crazy price.

Only club that have strengthened quickly is City but they overpaid massively for some mediocre players.

Can only hypothesise as to what would have happened at United had Matic not joined, for all we know Woodward could have responded by paying over the odds for a couple of different players just to get them in.

Also doubt the Shiekh really cares if City overpay by a couple million pretty sure his cleaners find that when they pick up his sofa cushions

But the club did get him so the situation is different, Chelsea have to do a lot of buying and every man and his dog knows it and will put an extra few million on the price tag that they reserve for premier league teams

They were struggling in the market like most other EPL teams until we handed Matic over. That is my whole point. I fact that they are stable now largely due to Chelsea's largess is besides the point.

Last edited:
Can only hypothesise as to what would have happened at United had Matic not joined, for all we know Woodward could have responded by paying over the odds for a couple of different players just to get them in.

Also doubt the Shiekh really cares if City overpay by a couple million pretty sure his cleaners find that when they pick up his sofa cushions

Didn't look like woody was willing to overpay for Perisic and complete the deal quickly.

Yes City do not mind overpaying, its a different situation for Chelsea. Club knows that if they hold their nerve and do not panic, there are some abolsutely great deals to be struck late into the window. Its why Levy, one of the savviest transfer dealers in the world, almost always does his business so late.

Is it a high risk strategy that could backfire? Absolutely yes. Which is why I have been saying to wait till the end of the window before judging a teams transfer dealings. As of now, you can be 90% sure that three players in Ox, Barkley and VVD will be on the move and all three could plausibly end up at Chelsea. If those three come in, all of a sudden Chelsea will be the true winners of the summer isn't it?

Patience and lets see how it all plays out.

No one does good business end of the window

Blanket statement that does not take into account the different circumstances each player finds themselves in. If a player is in the last year of their contract like Ox and Barkley (both Chelsea targets), you are more likely to extract excellent value at the end of the window than by getting them in the beginning. PSG are looking to offload players. VVD has burnt bridges at Southampton.

There is a reason why so much business is done on deadline day despite the summer window being open for three months. Its not because every club is suddenly desperate and scrambling around for signings. Its because thats when you have the potential to make the best deals if you play your cards right. It is a high risk strategy undoubtedly but one that is necessary as Chelsea are trying to manage their finances carefully. If it backfires, so be it. Fans have seen the club lift every trophy the last five years. Another trophyless season is a blip in what Roman is trying to build.

Back