The Chelsea Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Ramires
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35K
  • Views Views 3M
Except Conte didn't want to be scrabbling round for targets less than 3 weeks before the window closes. Barkleys price hadn't changed since the start of the summer. Why hasn't that been dealt with. Ditto Ox-chamberlain. There hasn't even been a bidding war over the former. VVD is only still available because Liverpool ****** up. Levy does business late because he waits till he fleeces another team, and half his signings have been horrible. Teams do business pm deadline day because they often failed throughout the window to hit targets and they end up scrambling

This isn't some great financial plan by Chelsea. They are buying now because they have failed to recruit earlier

Last edited:
..... in what Roman is trying to build.

There's a contradiction in terms. 'Build.' Unless short-termism and the here and now constitute building theses days.

No doubt you'll point to the younger aged incomings. But that would be to completely ignore the constant turnover in managers. (Likely to be added by Conte gone after this season. Regardless of if he could hand pick his signings or not.). And a complete disregard for youth development outside of selling for profit.

That's as mad as a Utd fan saying Mourinho's there for the long term and building for the future. When that never has and never will be the way he works.

Chelsea are all about the here and now and have been right through the PL era.

You'd take a draw from that next Spurs game right now wouldn't you?

I mean given your squad as it is, players unavilable/injured etc. Unless you make a miraculous signing this week, I can see Spurs really fancying themselves against you.

Didn't look like woody was willing to overpay for Perisic and complete the deal quickly.

Yes City do not mind overpaying, its a different situation for Chelsea. Club knows that if they hold their nerve and do not panic, there are some abolsutely great deals to be struck late into the window. Its why Levy, one of the savviest transfer dealers in the world, almost always does his business so late.

Is it a high risk strategy that could backfire? Absolutely yes. Which is why I have been saying to wait till the end of the window before judging a teams transfer dealings. As of now, you can be 90% sure that three players in Ox, Barkley and VVD will be on the move and all three could plausibly end up at Chelsea. If those three come in, all of a sudden Chelsea will be the true winners of the summer isn't it?

Patience and lets see how it all plays out.

The only ones he got in the last week of the transfer market is low Sissoko, Son, Fazio, Stambouli, is all in the last three seasons and none of them seemed like bargains at the time.

Before that he did it more but, he seems to not do it as much any more possibly as it meant players like lamela cost 25 million and more.

However, he has and has continued to sell players at the end of windows as he knows he can get more for them by dragging everything out and forcing teams to meet his price as they don't have time to get anyone else. Mason and Cahdli last season Lennon and Townsend the season before Sandro, Zeki fryers, Michael Dawson. Crouch, Palacios, Bale, Berbatov, Modric and Van der Vaart all left within the last weekend of the season he sells late far more than he buys late

It's like waiting and going down to Tesco at 19:59 every evening looking to buy any remaining donuts for like 50C/50P less because they're about to go off.

Only thing is, there mightn't be any.

The only ones he got in the last week of the transfer market is low Sissoko, Son, Fazio, Stambouli, is all in the last three seasons and none of them seemed like bargains at the time.

Before that he did it more but, he seems to not do it as much any more possibly as it meant players like lamela cost 25 million and more.

However, he has and has continued to sell players at the end of windows as he knows he can get more for them by dragging everything out and forcing teams to meet his price as they don't have time to get anyone else. Mason and Cahdli last season Lennon and Townsend the season before Sandro, Zeki fryers, Michael Dawson. Crouch, Palacios, Bale, Berbatov, Modric and Van der Vaart all left within the last weekend of the season he sells late far more than he buys late

Only Son has worked out well in those last three seasons. If you go back further then we can now add lamela, and he struggled massively originally through not having time to bed in

Repeating he's not a criminal but breaking contract law by refusing to turn up to training, okay pal.

Conte lacks charisma and he never had a problem with Mourinho, lmaooo.

Upset at Conte wanting him to train hard, this is the same player who turned up to preseason overweight 2 years ago.

Willing to sign a new contract despite admitting multiple times how he's never liked life in England.

On 22 March 2017:

"The relationship with Conte did not begin well because on arrival I told him that I wanted to go to Atletico. I did everything possible to return to Atletico."

13 August 2017:

"I am waiting for Chelsea to set me free. I didn't want to leave. I was happy."

Talking a lot of ***** here and not great to see how some of the fans are backing him over this.

Repeating he's not a criminal but breaking contract law by refusing to turn up to training, okay pal.

Conte lacks charisma and he never had a problem with Mourinho, lmaooo.

Upset at Conte wanting him to train hard, this is the same player who turned up to preseason overweight 2 years ago.

Willing to sign a new contract despite admitting multiple times how he's never liked life in England.

On 22 March 2017:

"The relationship with Conte did not begin well because on arrival I told him that I wanted to go to Atletico. I did everything possible to return to Atletico."

13 August 2017:

"I am waiting for Chelsea to set me free. I didn't want to leave. I was happy."

Talking a lot of ***** here and not great to see how some of the fans are backing him over this.

Breaking an employment contract is not a criminal offense so he is right there.

Chelsea and Antonio Conte split over targets

exclusive
Matt Hughes, Deputy Football Correspondent
August 15 2017, 12:01am, The Times
Chelsea have spent £124million on signings this summer but Conte is not satisfied
Chelsea have spent £124million on signings this summer but Conte is not satisfied
DYLAN MARTINEZ/REUTERS
Save
Antonio Conte is in a stand-off with the Chelsea hierarchy over transfer targets, with the club reluctant to bow to the manager’s request to spend significant sums of money on experienced players with little resale value.

In addition to personal tension between Conte and some Chelsea staff brought about by what is perceived as his incessant demands, it is understood that there is also a philosophical difference between the Italian and the club as they seek to overhaul their squad.

Senior Chelsea sources have told The Times that while Conte is concerned only with assembling a squad capable of competing in the Premier League and Champions League this season, the board have a responsibility to plan for the medium and long term.

FIVE PLAYERS ITALIAN WANTS

Fernando Llorente
Club: Swansea City
Ivan Perisic
Club: Inter Milan
Virgil van Dijk
Club: Southampton
Antonio Candreva
Club: Inter Milan
Alex Sandro
Club: Juventus
Chelsea have shown a willingness to back Conte in the transfer market this summer by spending a combined £124 million on Álvaro Morata (£60 million from Real Madrid), Antonio Rüdiger (£29 million from Roma) and Tiémoué Bakayoko (£35 million from Monaco), and it is significant that none of the three is over 24.

In contrast, many of Conte’s remaining targets — Swansea City’s Fernando Llorente (age 32) and the Inter Milan pair, Antonio Candreva (30) and Ivan Perisic (28) — are nearer to the end of their careers and would therefore have little or no resale value. Chelsea have also signed ***** Caballero, the 35-year-old from Manchester City, as reserve goalkeeper, but he arrived on a free transfer.

Chelsea have also been slow to finalise proposed deals to sign Alex Sandro and Virgil van Dijk despite having been involved in negotiations with Juventus and Southampton respectively for several months. Both players are 26 and having been quoted fees of more than £60 million for each, Chelsea are concerned about whether either deal would represent value for money. Neither deal has been ruled out, with Conte and the club continuing a vigorous debate over their strategy.

Chelsea’s preferred transfer policy is to target young players whose market value will either remain stable or increase — the £41 million profit made from selling Oscar, who joined as a 20-year-old, to Shanghai SIPG in January being a prime example — but Conte has little interest in long-term planning.

Conte has proposed Leonardo Bonucci, 30, as a transfer target in each of the past two summers, but Chelsea refused to seriously pursue him, with the Italy defender instead leaving Juventus for AC Milan last month for £38 million. This clear difference in priorities is understood to be one of the reasons why Conte signed a two-year contract this summer rather than the four-year deal that he was initially offered, with both parties seemingly accepting that the manager’s stay at the club will be relatively short.

Chelsea have also been disappointed with the time and opportunities that Conte has given to the club’s home- grown players, despite being told that youth development was a significant part of the job during his initial contract talks 18 months ago.

Chelsea are reluctant to spend on players such as Llorente due to their lack of long-term value
Chelsea are reluctant to spend on players such as Llorente due to their lack of long-term value

There was little game-time for Chelsea’s academy players last season and this summer Conte has sanctioned the sales of Nathan Aké, to Bournemouth, and Nathaniel Chalobah, to Watford, as well as loan moves for Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Tammy Abraham, Kurt Zouma, Izzy Brown and Kasey Palmer, who all started for other clubs on Saturday when a depleted Chelsea were beaten by Burnley.

Chelsea’s desire to pursue young players with future resale value has been reinforced by a difficult transfer window, in which they took the gamble of selling Nemanja Matic to a direct rival in Manchester United to maximise a fee that could rise to as much as £40 million.

The club seem certain to make a significant loss on Diego Costa, the forward, who has made it clear he only wants to join Atletico Madrid, who are under a transfer embargo until January, having recently allowed John Terry, John Obi Mikel and Branislav Ivanovic to leave Stamford Bridge for nothing at the end of their contracts.

While Chelsea are frustrated by some of Conte’s demands, they will not be shocked.

They are aware that Conte behaved similarly every year at Juventus, his former club, where despite winning three successive Serie A titles the manager was viewed as extremely high maintenance

Think Spurs have outplayed you, unlucky not to at least be level, but was a good goal.

Poor game tbh. Rudiger not impressed with yet. Bakayoko clearly gonna take time to get to a good level and settle.

Last edited:
Out of the first 11, 4 are playing their first or second game for Chelsea. It will take some games till Chelsea looks good for neutrals, until then, 1-0 every game and I'm happy.

Well after watching today, don't think Morata's hold up play is anything to be desired.

Vertonghen should of been sent off though just now for that foul, reckless.

Back