The Chelsea Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Ramires
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35K
  • Views Views 3M
Sound. Tottenham's squad lacks pace and width.

As it has the last two years when it's ****** all over most sides this league. The same squad minus one RB.

Woe them and their problems.
Glad you agree! Even most Spurs fans I speak to know they need more depth and options. Especially being in the CL and the added competition for top 4.

Alonso's best Chelsea game by far. Bakayoko did well lasting the full game on a single leg and we didn't get bullied in midfield like we usually do. Just a couple of WBs away from a very good side.
Need your STRs situation to start clicking quick because niether are convincing atm. And Rudiger and Bakayoko need to adapt quick because not much quality depth in your squad.

I refuse to make any judgements so far. As Scouse said, its just two games in. Last week Chelsea were supposedly in crisis. This week we have 'Champions' mentality. All a load of tosh. Lets wait till the transfer window shuts before we make any definitive predictions.

Glad to have gotten three points though. Spurs the best team in the league alongside City for me.

Glad you agree! Even most Spurs fans I speak to know they need more depth and options. Especially being in the CL and the added competition for top 4.

So now you flip that into needing more options. Nice swerve.

This fixation with buying players. If you can't, as in the club/ manager doesn't think, there's that significant a quality of player out there to improve the squad, then buying for buyings sake is counter-productive. Tottenham have a squad that should have won the league two years ago when they were by far and away the best team the league. Could well have won it last year bar an abnormal run of wins from Chelsea and the same with no key injuries. Again, when they were one of the top 2/3 footballing sides the league. Surely if those players can't be improved upon that's the ultimate aim? To have a window where you're happy with what you have? And it's not necessarily 'standing still' if it's a quality filled young side.

They've just added another centre half and will doubtless add more before the window shuts.

But to say they lack pace and width ..... Man, I bet most of the league wish they had Tottenham's 'problems.'

2 games in. Early season. Nottin' much to take from any team right now.

Last edited:
They had only had a lack of width today because they played 3ATB and matched Chelsea. Usually they have Son on the left causing havoc with his pace and runs, and RWB bombing forward, stretching it.

Would expect Son to start next game and they be fine

Need your STRs situation to start clicking quick because niether are convincing atm. And Rudiger and Bakayoko need to adapt quick because not much quality depth in your squad.

Morata could've done better today yeah but apart from that earlier chance he didn't have much service at all and was pretty isolated, still won plenty of aerial duels and put in a shift. Conte also said he wasn't 100% fit so I'm sure there's a lot more to come.

Alonso's best Chelsea game by far. Bakayoko did well lasting the full game on a single leg and we didn't get bullied in midfield like we usually do. Just a couple of WBs away from a very good side.

Pleasantly surprised to see Bakayoko last the whole game. Definitely was nowhere near 100%. Some of his play reminded me of a more mobile 14/15 version of Matic. I am intrigued by the possibility of Fabregas slotting in alongside him and Kante in a midfield trio. Think it could finally unleash Fabregas proper.

I refuse to make any judgements so far. As Scouse said, its just two games in. Last week Chelsea were supposedly in crisis. This week we have 'Champions' mentality. All a load of tosh. Lets wait till the transfer window shuts before we make any definitive predictions.

Glad to have gotten three points though. Spurs the best team in the league alongside City for me.

Absolutely agree. If it wasn't for the Wembley factor, I'd have them as favourites going in. They're as settled a squad who knows exactly what they're doing as anyone.

They had only had a lack of width today because they played 3ATB and matched Chelsea. Usually they have Son on the left causing havoc with his pace and runs, and RWB bombing forward, stretching it.

Would expect Son to start next game and they be fine

They put our defense under immense pressure nonetheless. Ali was fantastic all game. Caused Azpi huge problems which is no easy feat.

Really makes one realize the value of having Hazard and Fabregas. Spurs would never have pressed so far up the pitch if those two were playing. Willian is a water-carrier really. Simply does not possess the attacking threat to worry opposing teams.

Pleasantly surprised to see Bakayoko last the whole game. Definitely was nowhere near 100%. Some of his play reminded me of a more mobile 14/15 version of Matic. I am intrigued by the possibility of Fabregas slotting in alongside him and Kante in a midfield trio. Think it could finally unleash Fabregas proper.

Fabregas especially against the smaller sides, though I'm also eager to see what today's mid 3 could do with a fully fit Bakayoko. Kante was just everywhere, as always.

Given what Kante does, to have someone far more athletic and rangy in there than Matic is an obvious, younger upgrade.

What I don't understand, sans the owner trying to 'do the right thing' by a long term vet, is why Chelsea would not only then weaken the depth by letting him go. But would think it wise to give a competitor, and ex-manager, the perfect player for him in the key position for how he sets his teams up.

There's doing the right thing and there's being frigging idiots.

Given what Kante does, to have someone far more athletic and rangy in there than Matic is an obvious, younger upgrade.

What I don't understand, sans the owner trying to 'do the right thing' by a long term vet, is why Chelsea would not only then weaken the depth by letting him go. But would think it wise to give a competitor, and ex-manager, the perfect player for him in the key position for how he sets his teams up.

Yeah, don't like that bit from Roman. We aren't supposed to be a charity. Did that with Cech too even though Mourinho didn't want him going to Arsenal back then.

Depends on how you look at it mate. Roman did the same with Cech. No one at the club likes to sell players to rival clubs but if the player really wants to go and behaves professionally, Roman will sanction the move to show his appreciation for the players service. Its genuinely brilliant of him.

If you behave like Costa by refusing to train and spreading utter gobshite to the media, he will make life difficult for you. Part of me hopes Chelsea don't sell Costa to Atletico and leave him in limbo for 6 monthss. Deserves that after the absolute **** he has been dishing out and the lies he is spreading.

Regarding Rudiger, shaky first half but recovered well in the second. Back 3 never played together before and it showed, with time it'll get better. Christensen put up a great performance in the second half as well. Luiz in midfield was immense, certain it's his best position.

Fabregas especially against the smaller sides, though I'm also eager to see what today's mid 3 could do with a fully fit Bakayoko. Kante was just everywhere, as always.

I think Fabregas could start every game if Bakayoko and Kante played alongside him. Both are very hard runners who will provide him with the platform to dictate play like he does best.

Regarding Rudiger, shaky first half but recovered well in the second. Back 3 never played together before and it showed, with time it'll get better. Christensen put up a great performance in the second half as well. Luiz in midfield was immense, certain it's his best position.

Disagree completely on the Luiz bit. His best position remains at the heart of the back three. It utilizes all his unique strengths excellently. He can use his pace to sweep up any balls that come over the top. He has the time to use his ball playing abilities to play those raking long passes that he will never get in midfield. Any questionable decision making is mitigated as he is usually the spare man at the back rather than going up directly against an opposing player.

Disagree completely on the Luiz bit. His best position remains at the heart of the back three. It utilizes all his unique strengths excellently. He can use his pace to sweep up any balls that come over the top. He has the time to use his ball playing abilities to play those raking long passes that he will never get in midfield. Any questionable decision making is mitigated as he is usually the spare man at the back rather than going up directly against an opposing player.

Last season he was class before Aguero broke him, hasn't been at that level since in my opinion. Just not that reliable at the back, don't always know what you're going to get from him. Marking is poor and at times he just doesn't seem interested in defending (Burnley). Ball playing ability isn't a concern anymore with Christensen coming in now. Will be interesting to see if Conte persists with him in midfield even though he said he prefers him at CB before the game today.

If David Luiz is able to get into your midfield that's very alarming. He's tidy, don't get me wrong, but he's not a midfielder let's be honest, he can do a decent job there but that's as far as it goes.

Definitely best in the middle of a back 3, he's a good defender and gets Chelsea playing from the back, and with 2 CB's alongside him as a security blanket, he'll not get as exposed as much as he's been in years gone by with little positional switch off's or whatever

Last edited:
Also worth noting, 3 players in the first squad are the result of the oh so dreadful loan system. If you got what it takes, you will make it at Chelsea, you are not doomed to be shipped out.

RLC finally getting some regular game time and doing well. Lets hope he keeps it up for the rest of the season. England should definitely come calling if he continues like this.

Back