The Chelsea Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Ramires
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35K
  • Views Views 3M
His italy debut was after conte left. Conte called him up for Euro 2016 but cut him from the final squad

Serious? Guess I had a dose of some fake news.

All the usual experts rate him though so thats good enough for me.

Serious? Guess I had a dose of some fake news.

All the usual experts rate him though so thats good enough for me.

He's decent enough for what 24 mil seems to get you these days tbh

Solid player but wouldn't expect him to be anything amazing

He's decent enough for what 24 mil seems to get you these days tbh

Solid player but wouldn't expect him to be anything amazing

He is coming in as a rotation option so wouldn't expect anything more anyways.

Drinkwater should also sign in what has been a sub par window. Too many key targets missed, player retention has been poor for various reasons, and recruitment had been sloppy. Why Chelsea left it so late to do so much work is mindboggling. Masterplan my left foot

Wonder if Diego Costa has been doing a lot of texting lately to Barkley, Ox and Llorente

Drinkwater should also sign in what has been a sub par window. Too many key targets missed, player retention has been poor for various reasons, and recruitment had been sloppy. Why Chelsea left it so late to do so much work is mindboggling. Masterplan my left foot

Agree with this Mike. Too many key targets missed. It was a high risk strategy and it backfired badly. Someone needs to be sacked.

Squad severely lacks depth. We are pretty much relying on our key players remaining fit throughout again.

Agree with this Mike. Too many key targets missed. It was a high risk strategy and it backfired badly. Someone needs to be sacked.

Back up options only work if you have time to move to them. Granted you couldn't have foreseen barkley dropping out in medical, but why bid so late for a player who was always up for sale? Conte will be fuming. This window was almost a disaster

Back up options only work if you have time to move to them. Granted you couldn't have foreseen barkley dropping out in medical, but why bid so late for a player who was always up for sale? Conte will be fuming. This window was almost a disaster

It was obvious the strategy was to lowball both Arsenal and Everton for Ox and Barkley respectively given that they were in the last years of their contract. Which is fine but you need to be 100% certain that they want to join. Obviously whoever had that confidence was misguided.

Its not that big a deal in the end. Barkley would not have played till January. We got a replacement for Ox in Zapp. But there are just not enough players in the squad and this could backfire badly.

As I said, someone needs to be sacked. You had a strategy and there was merit in it. But since it failed, you need to stand up and take responsibility for it.

How were you 'obviously low balling' Arsenal when you had an offer accepted for £5 million more than they ultimately sold him for?

How were you 'obviously low balling' Arsenal when you had an offer accepted for £5 million more than they ultimately sold him for?

Both the Chelsea and Liverpool offers were the same. Lowball because Arsenal would have demanded a lot more if you approached them at the start of the window. Waiting till the last week ensured they had little to no leverage especially once Ox rejected a new contract offer.

Its a similar situation with Barkley Scouse. Everton demanded £50m initially. By waiting till the end, you get them down to £35m but it all means for nought since the player pulled the plug himself.

Only slender consolation is Barkley should be sold for less than the accepted 35M fee, with just 6 months left in his contract come January.

That's if he doesn't have some sort of U-turn or opts elsewhere.

Mahrez would've been the perfect signing for you lot on that RW, absolutely shocked he's still a Leicester player. Thought it was just a matter of where he goes...

Not according to what came out of Arsenal they weren't. But regardless. £35 million. £40 million. That's not low balling a club with no leverage for a player entering the last year of a contract he's not extending.

Your problem is he had his heart set on Liverpool from just into this year when all turned out.

No idea what in the world Mahrez was playing at today tbh. Seems like he was banking on either one of the London clubs making a late move and set himself up perfectly waiting in a London hotel. Not a bad shout considering that both Chelsea and Arsenal could have done with him.

Ultimately I suspect the asking price from Leicester was just too high for any club to seriously consider pursuing him.

Not according to what came out of Arsenal they weren't. But regardless. £35 million. £40 million. That's not low balling a club with no leverage for a player entering the last year of a contract he's not extending.

Your problem is he had his heart set on Liverpool from just into this year when all turned out.

Chelsea didn't offer him what he wanted: the chance to be a CM. Stands a better chance at Liverpool

Chelsea didn't offer him what he wanted: the chance to be a CM. Stands a better chance at Liverpool

You might want to listen to the fella' himself on why he had his heart set on Liverpool.

That is just a real small part of it.

As I said, you go in earlier and Arsenal demand a lot more. You wait till the last week and you squeeze them down to a lower price. Why do you think Liverpool followed suit and waited till the last week as well? They knew that if they entered the race early, Arsenal would have asked them for a higher price or refused to sell entirely. Wenger still believed he could convince Ox with a bumper new contract till the last week of the window.

Anyways it does not really matter. He does not see himself as a RWB so fair play to him for turning down a move to Chelsea because thats exactly where he would have ended up. Happier with a natural RWB in Zappacosta.

Back