The Everton Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 346K
Phil Neville says he would love to play in a different country but will stay at Everton if he is offered a contract extension.
The 35-year-old's current deal expires at the end of the season and he is relaxed about the situation, despite being very keen to prolong his career. Neville hopes he will be given the chance to agree fresh terms at Goodison but if not he may pursue a new challenge away from England.

"I want to keep playing for as long as I can," the former Manchester United man, who moved to Everton in 2005, told The Independent. "At least one more year at the top level if I can. I still have ambitions. For instance, I've always wanted to sample playing abroad, a different culture and different life-experience for all the family. Time's running out, I know, and if the gaffer comes to me in January and wants me to stay another year then the decision's made for me."

Looking beyond his playing career, Neville has already decided that he would love to get more involved in coaching after his passion was ignited by a short stint working with the England Under 21s last season.

"I've always had long contracts in the past and coming to the last year you can be fearful, but I'm quite excited," he explained. "The three days I had with the Under 21s were, well, life-changing. I really got the bug. My strength has always been in professionalism and preparation, and coaching is just an extension of that. It gave me a real insight into what I want to do. I've got my A licence now, I go to games and study methods and read a lot. I've always been into the fitness side, my [twin] sister's a conditioning coach so I tap into that. I'm a long way short of being a coach or manager but I'm trying to learn all aspects of it. I think some managers go into it under-prepared, and I don't want to be one of those."

Neville has loved his time with Everton but still feels they must strive for improvement and does not think finishing above Merseyside rivals Liverpool should be the sole aim.

"It's something that rankles with me, something I've not bought into at all," he said. "If one team finishes seventh and the other is eighth, you get the bragging rights but with nothing to show for it. Liverpool have been so successful over the years and Everton have had to swallow it. I totally understand that and I can relate to Evertonians when it comes to derby day, but how great it would be if we actually won a trophy. I'm not sure Liverpool have the same outlook. They probably look at the bigger picture, they want to win the league, the FA Cup and the League Cup, and that's the mentality we should have. Last year Kenny Dalglish won the Carling Cup and got the sack, so it shows what the expectations are."

(Skysports.com)

Please David keep him another year. He's been the utmost professional, been exemplorary both on and off the pitch, and who better to learn from, form when he goes into coaching/management. He may have lost that yard, but still. He still has something to offer and his leadership qualities have been invaluable.

Fellaini can **** off. Sick of players pulling this stunt at clubs after recently signing a contract. He's replaceable.

To be fair, the money you get for him can fund another 3-5 players. He should be playing at a top European club, much like Cabaye at Newcastle, you have to expect brilliant players to move on if you're not in the champions league.

To be fair, the money you get for him can fund another 3-5 players. He should be playing at a top European club, much like Cabaye at Newcastle, you have to expect brilliant players to move on if you're not in the champions league.

Maybe. I'm just annoyed he's quite happy to repeatedly say this to the press. He's done this on more than occassion now and it just rankles with me, and wasn't long ago he signed that 5 year deal. Granted he's become a great midfielder, but we're only 3 games in and then this comes out. We've become settled as a team now, have added some excellent players and this won't help. If he wants to go to a bigger club like say Utd, Juve or wherever fine, but shouldn't keep stating it to the press. Keep it behind closed doors and between him and the gaffer

It's the way the game is played. It was going to happen eventually so I'm not too fussed about it, considering he's signed a long-term contract we're calling the shots here and I think we could get a lot of cash for him, and Allah knows we'll need it.

Well we SHOULD get £30 million for him. Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at Utd, Chelse, Arsenal or PSG. Wouldn't like to be him though as DM is livid about this. Already having to calm some of the players down when this came out

Well, I certainly wouldn't like him staying in England in all honesty. The prospect of facing him is pretty disturbing.

Well tbh you're not only facing Fellaini, but also his decidedly dodgy hair

Fellaini can **** off. Sick of players pulling this stunt at clubs after recently signing a contract. He's replaceable.

Aye, he is. 25 million would be a good deal. I honestly don't think he's that good.

Aye, he is. 25 million would be a good deal. I honestly don't think he's that good.

Someone made a valid point elsewhere. First couple of games against Utd and Villa he was top draw, but was struggling against WBA. Thing is it's going to make things a bit awkward seeing that Rodwell went off to City. Depending on where we are come January, it's going to be interesting to see what does actually happen. Also means we'll have to look at another player to build the team around now. And it will be interesting to see how much of the money is available to spend. Usual scenario. How much to bank, how much to spend. And will also be interesting to see just how much this will affect the team as a whole

I think it shows the professionalism of Neville that he went to a rival side, and yet has never shirked a single game against the team that made him. Fantastic player.

Agree with Ajt09 on this. Fair enough you want the move, but keep it indoors.

I just wonder what he's trying to achieve. The windows are pretty much all closed now.

Who knows. Maybe just alerting clubs so they can make funds available to bid for him in January?

I am sure he has his reasons, however ill judged and misguided they may be.

Now I've calmed it a bit (admittedly being utterly ill right now not helping at all), the thing that worries me most is what Moyes said about Jan transfer fees being overinflated. So if we sold him £25 million, and fee's have indeed rocketed, that's going to leave us pretty much in the pooper for a whole pile of well known reasons. And apparently there's a buy out clause in the contract rumoured to be between £24-26 million. Though don't know if true or not.

Time to have a look at Man Utd and see what CM's they want to get rid of I think. Oh wait.........

Now I've calmed it a bit (admittedly being utterly ill right now not helping at all)

Seriously why is everyone ill? I am, Mike. is, Dunc is dying of rectal AIDS or something...

the thing that worries me most is what Moyes said about Jan transfer fees being overinflated. So if we sold him £25 million, and fee's have indeed rocketed, that's going to leave us pretty much in the pooper for a whole pile of well known reasons. And apparently there's a buy out clause in the contract rumoured to be between £24-26 million. Though don't know if true or not.

Time to have a look at Man Utd and see what CM's they want to get rid of I think. Oh wait.........

The loan market may well be your friend, if Fellaini does indeed leave in January. You'd be comparatively rolling in cash after the sale of Rodwell and Fellaini, but January's way too expensive domestically.

Seriously why is everyone ill? I am, Mike. is, Dunc is dying of rectal AIDS or something...

The loan market may well be your friend, if Fellaini does indeed leave in January. You'd be comparatively rolling in cash after the sale of Rodwell and Fellaini, but January's way too expensive domestically.

Had a serious attack of vertigo yesterday and still recovering. Got to rest few days-culprit may have been energy drinks according to doc as hospital :S

Definately. Can see another push for that Belgian lad that FIFA failed to sanction if he does indeed leave. Should (hopefully) be some adequate replacements out there

Had a serious attack of vertigo yesterday and still recovering. Got to rest few days-culprit may have been energy drinks according to doc as hospital :S

Definately. Can see another push for that Belgian lad that FIFA failed to sanction if he does indeed leave. Should (hopefully) be some adequate replacements out there

Ooh, nasty.

Odjidja? He's a quality player, that one, Moyes never fails to amaze me with the quality of his young buys. Great engine, good touch, offers at both ends of the field... a bit like Fellaini, in a way, just obviously without the great physicality, and a great deal more mobility.

Ooh, nasty.

Odjidja? He's a quality player, that one, Moyes never fails to amaze me with the quality of his young buys. Great engine, good touch, offers at both ends of the field... a bit like Fellaini, in a way, just obviously without the great physicality, and a great deal more mobility.

Very nasty. Wouldn't wish it on anyone it's absolutely horrible.

But on Odjidja, been looking for some footage on him as haven't seen him play as yet, and people said pretty much the same as you. Although without the physical attributes of Fellaini, he is more mobile which is a bonus.

One thing that is a shame though, is as expected with some quarters of fans, Fellaini is suddenly overrated. People are searching for stats for the number of times he's lost the ball, or has given away fouls in dangerous positions etc etc. They obviously forget about the contribution he's made in big wins too. I may be gutted about this whole saga, but still-just seems incredibly idiotic to say he's overrated. Fickle springs to mind

would like to know exactly what fellaini said, i mean just look at how that interview with sagna was twisted by the beeb! scandalous!

the grass is never greener than at goodison park, just look at peinaar...when will players learn...they're just so greedy nowadays, glory hunting, and if not that then its money, players who actually want to be a part of something are few and far between, but everton still have their fair share...howard, baines, jagielka, osman, even cahill.

im sure felli will still give his all, but just really disappointed he cant see the bigger picture.

people say football is just a job but if i was as talented as say rooney, and i had grown up as i have supporting everton, there is no other club i would dream of playing for, certainly not for the sake of going from say 30k a week to 60k or winning a few titles, helping the club i love would be vastly more important, you'd have to drag me away from the club kicking and screaming...which is why hibbo is one of my favourite players, true blue that lad

Last edited:
Back