The Everton Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 346K
Just a note on all of this Stoke comparison - they have actually played fewer long passes than both Everton and Liverpool this season according to talksport. Not sure how they measure a 'long pass' or whether that includes the accuracy of the pass, but it appears Stevie was actually complementing Everton on being a 'passing side' ;)

Stoke thing is pretty much true. Seen a couple of their games and they are more than capable now of mixing it up. Hoofing the ball certainly isnt in Citys philosophy anymore. Good to see aswell as they have creatiity and some very good players who are capable of doing things

Stoke thing is pretty much true. Seen a couple of their games and they are more than capable now of mixing it up. Hoofing the ball certainly isnt in Citys philosophy anymore. Good to see aswell as they have creatiity and some very good players who are capable of doing things

Stoke do seem to have dropped their 442 with two wingers crossing balls into the target men.. And it doesn't seem to really be working. They also still rely heavily on set pieces. Really don't think Stoke's new philosophy will last very long.

I'm sure their short passing stats have increased but I would imagine a large majority of those are backwards/ sideways passes. Also, watching them is still dull.

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has admitted that he should not have slammed Everton the way he did this week, saying: "I went too far." Following the 2-2 draw at Goodison Park in the Merseyside derby on Sunday, the Reds midfielder claimed that the Toffees have a direct and physical style that is comparable to that of Stoke City. Those comments saw Everton defender Phil Jagielka hit back at the 32-year-old, and Gerrard now admits that he went a bit too far with his criticisms.

"Just to clarify I've watched the game again, and I've seen some of Everton's matches this season, and what I said in relation to their style of play went too far," he told The Liverpool Echo. "I was frustrated by the disallowed goal from Luis [Suarez] when I spoke and also some of the things (diving allegations) that have been said about Luis in recent weeks which haven't been fair in my opinion. As captain I have a duty to stand up for our players when I feel they are unfairly singled out. But it wasn't my intention to disrespect Everton or Stoke for that matter and I certainly didn't intend any disrespect to their manager or players. I have the utmost respect for David Moyes and Tony Pulis and the job they have done at their respective clubs. My main issue was with the goal that wasn't given and that Liverpool did not get the three points I felt we deserved in what was a fantastic derby match."

(Sky Sports News)

Now that is classy. He had the balls to admit he was wrong-not many would do the same thing in my opinion. Respect to him

It shows how times have changed that we're complaining about a result, yet still in 4th place. Saying that, Martin Jol will be doing the lottery numbers tonight because his team got a point out of absolute nothing. Our forward play is excellent however Jelavic is going through a bit of a sticky patch and really becoming anonymous during matches. Fellaini was superb, Mirallas was good and surprisingly Baines was a little sloppy.
Four draws in a row isn't great when you consider who they were against (Wigan, QPR, Liverpool, Fulham). I'd look at those four games and think a minimum of 8 points. Still though, only 1 defeat this season and home next week to Sunderland. Have a right to feel dejected and robbed of two points though.

Everton have both been unlucky and defensively fragile at times for e.g you really should've won today and you were defensively susceptible for both goals against Liverpool and Unlucky against Newcastle too...Really would be lovely to see everton in the top 4...

Looks like it was a good job I spent my afternoon shopping. Oh well. Point is better than nothing

Match number 400 for Moyes. I don't even NEED to state how much of a revelation he's been, how fantastic.
We don't make Europe this season I'd be amazed. He couldn't have hoped for a better squad than what he has now.

I am sorry but Everton have to win against teams like Sunderland at Home to get that 4th spot...

Fellaini and Jelavic are certainly up there with my favorite premier league players who do not play for Chelsea. Would have the pair of them at Chelsea definately ;)

You were saying?

I wasn't making a remark at you or everton but Sunderland are too poor and the thing is they should win these games comfortably. Believe me I would love it if Everton get into the CL...

And shall I say both of everton goals were absolute genius of one man and one man only..#thehairybeast

I wasn't making a remark at you or everton but Sunderland are too poor and the thing is they should win these games comfortably. Believe me I would love it if Everton get into the CL...

Yeah I know. But to be honest the days of easy games are long gone. IMO of course. Had 69% possession against Fulham...ended up drawing. Footballs just too mental these days to get a comfortable win

What I love most is the fact we're only 4 points off the top, 3 points off Chelsea and 2 points off City (though obviously they're still to play). I thinks it's safe to say after 11 games we are now officially CL contenders. And it feels absolutely fantastic to say that

(and even WBA aren't that far off-who'd have thought)

I suspect David and Bill will be keeping their phones switched off during the January windows. Downside of great performances from great players

I suspect David and Bill will be keeping their phones switched off during the January windows. Downside of great performances from great players

For christmas (as a United fan) I would like, Marouane Fellaini <3

Back