The Everton Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 346K
Yeah me too. Scottish PL is miles apart from the EPL. And in other news which leads me to think it's going to be a topsy turvy summer:

Phil Neville pondering retirement as Everton spell draws to an end | Football News | Sky Sports

Now we all know managers leave, our favourite players retire etc, but it still leaves an air of sadness. It's just remarkable how incredibly fast time has gone by, to see one day players like Fowler, Owen, Henry, Becks, Shearer etc dazzling the Prem now they're moving on or already have. i don't like it. Make it stop :(

But Neville has been just an absolute professional in his career, truly inspirational. He'll be very, very sorely missed regardless of what other Everton "fans" say. But I think he'll make a great coach, and maybe an excellent manager. He's been around Moyes, Fergie....I think he'll do more than alright.

I think he said a couple of weeks ago he wanted to go into management.

Interesting. It would appear Mr Kenwright is going for an internal appointment for managers job.

Martinez to resign as Wigan manager, odds of being Everton manager slashed to 1/3 as talks now ongoing.

From one superbly talented manager to another. I'm happy

I'm afraid I disagree with this choice. First of all, we'll have to pay 2m compensation to Wigan, which may be a small amount for any club with decent finances but honestly it's quite a lot for us. Secondly, I believe Martinez is, overall, a terribly overrated manager. In spite of constant investment season after season he's been completely unable to turn Wigan into a mid-table team, flirting with relegation time and time again. But lastly, and most importantly I'd say, what really worries me is his transfer record. We'd go from having a manager with a great eye for a bargain and used to fishing in the free market pool to having a manager who is not afraid to spend, and who has made quite a few mistakes in the transfer market as well. I can live with him not being the greatest manager around. At 39 he can improve and probably will, who knows, maybe he could go on to have a long and successful career for us, but I don't think the club has enough money for it to work out. It has to be said, though, that some of his buys have been quite good (Moses, Diame, maybe even Al-Habsi and Kone), but he's also spent a lot on duds and sadly we can't afford that kind of trial-and-error logic.

Let's take a look at some if his worst transfer deals:

Antonio Amaya. I'm not sure he even played for Wigan.
Boselli. Would rank pretty high in a worst transfers list.
Jason Scotland, although he had played a couple of good seasons before so I might just forgive him for that.
Franco di Santo. I still can't believe this guy got capped for my country. Seriously, every time I remember that I feel an urge to break something. And I can't believe how someone paid 2m for him, either.
Jordi Gómez. I think he's ****, plain and simple.
Albert Crusat.
Connor Sammon. What's even more baffling about this deal is the fact that they actually made a profit on this guy.

Jason Scotland, although he had played a couple of good seasons before so I might just forgive him for that.
Franco di Santo. I still can't believe this guy got capped for my country. Seriously, every time I remember that I feel an urge to break something. And I can't believe how someone paid 2m for him, either.
Albert Crusat.
Connor Sammon. What's even more baffling about this deal is the fact that they actually made a profit on this guy.

Di Santo has been good for them. His goal record is poor but he offers so much more. Creativity and link-up play is good as well as his strength. Worth 2m? Possibly not, but it's hardly been a disastrous signing given the length of the service he's given the club.

Gomez isn't bad either. Inconsistent but he has made some crucial contributions for the club.

You said yourself they made a profit on Sammon and yet you call it a bad signing? Really don't see the logic there. If every bad signing he makes for Everton earns a profit you'd be laughing.

Can't argue with Boselli. But you'd be hard pressed to find any manager who's managed for the length of time Martinez had and who would come to Everton who hasn't made a bad signing or two.

To be quite fair, this whole 'badgegate', from a neutral's perspective, has been rather hilarious.

Di Santo has been good for them. His goal record is poor but he offers so much more. Creativity and link-up play is good as well as his strength. Worth 2m? Possibly not, but it's hardly been a disastrous signing given the length of the service he's given the club.

Gomez isn't bad either. Inconsistent but he has made some crucial contributions for the club.

You said yourself they made a profit on Sammon and yet you call it a bad signing? Really don't see the logic there. If every bad signing he makes for Everton earns a profit you'd be laughing.

Can't argue with Boselli. But you'd be hard pressed to find any manager who's managed for the length of time Martinez had and who would come to Everton who hasn't made a bad signing or two.

Come on, Di Santo is beyond bad, he'll probably do well in the champo but he's not Premier League quality, not yet anyway.
Gómez is bad. He scored a hat-trick and that's about all he did for them, ever.
Sammon is a terrible player. They made a profit on him, so from a financial point of view it wasn't that bad, but football wise he's not good enough to play in the PL.

I'm afraid I disagree with this choice. First of all, we'll have to pay 2m compensation to Wigan, which may be a small amount for any club with decent finances but honestly it's quite a lot for us. Secondly, I believe Martinez is, overall, a terribly overrated manager. In spite of constant investment season after season he's been completely unable to turn Wigan into a mid-table team, flirting with relegation time and time again. But lastly, and most importantly I'd say, what really worries me is his transfer record. We'd go from having a manager with a great eye for a bargain and used to fishing in the free market pool to having a manager who is not afraid to spend, and who has made quite a few mistakes in the transfer market as well. I can live with him not being the greatest manager around. At 39 he can improve and probably will, who knows, maybe he could go on to have a long and successful career for us, but I don't think the club has enough money for it to work out. It has to be said, though, that some of his buys have been quite good (Moses, Diame, maybe even Al-Habsi and Kone), but he's also spent a lot on duds and sadly we can't afford that kind of trial-and-error logic.

Let's take a look at some if his worst transfer deals:

Albert Crusat.

Just because he didn't guide them to mid-table isn't necessarily something that should go against him. Klopp moved to Dortmund after being relegated with Mainz.

As for his 'spending', Wigan average breaking even on transfer deals every season. Not exactly gigantic. And I would also imagine it isn't the easiest task in the world to convince good players to come play for a rugby town in the north west of England in a tiny stadium that they can't even fill 2/3 of.

Come on, Di Santo is beyond bad, he'll probably do well in the champo but he's not Premier League quality, not yet anyway.
Gómez is bad. He scored a hat-trick and that's about all he did for them, ever.
Sammon is a terrible player. They made a profit on him, so from a financial point of view it wasn't that bad, but football wise he's not good enough to play in the PL.

You can argue the first two really. But I honestly don't see how you can say Sammon was a bad signing having made a profit on him. Remember he's still a young player and he could have improved a lot. Derby obviously thought so.

To have come up with a list of about 7 bad signings in a 6 (?) year spell with the club, many of which are debatable, is hardly a bad amount for a premier league manager. Of all the other candidates I doubt you would find one who's transfer record is much better.

Just because he didn't guide them to mid-table isn't necessarily something that should go against him. Klopp moved to Dortmund after being relegated with Mainz.

As for his 'spending', Wigan average breaking even on transfer deals every season. Not exactly gigantic. And I would also imagine it isn't the easiest task in the world to convince good players to come play for a rugby town in the north west of England in a tiny stadium that they can't even fill 2/3 of.

Actually, Klopp moved to Dortmund after failing to get Mainz back in the Bundesliga. And under him, Mainz not only achieved their first ever promotion but also made steady improvement, including European qualification. And while it can be argued that Martinez just won the FA cup I don't really think Wigan have made much progress in terms of league performance in the last 4 seaons or so.

Furthermore, most of the players Wigan sold in order to break even were players from the pre-Martínez era, except for Moses (Palacios, Valencia, Cattermole, N'Zogbia...). While it's pretty clear that players have to leave in order to get new players in, the fact that Wigan consistently failed to show signs of progress (in my eyes, at least) is largely due to the fact that they were unable to improve their squad even when they had money available to them. I can agree with you, though, that not many top players would join a club like Wigan, but not many would've joined Swansea and look at them now (and yes, I know Martinez managed Swansea before Wigan, but IMO they are where they are due to Rodgers, although Laudrup's been terrific since taking over).

You can argue the first two really. But I honestly don't see how you can say Sammon was a bad signing having made a profit on him. Remember he's still a young player and he could have improved a lot. Derby obviously thought so.

To have come up with a list of about 7 bad signings in a 6 (?) year spell with the club, many of which are debatable, is hardly a bad amount for a premier league manager. Of all the other candidates I doubt you would find one who's transfer record is much better.
Like I said, in hindsight, from a financial point of view, it wasn't that bad, but as a footballer the lad was terrible.

And regarding the second bit of your argument, first of all, it was a 4 year spell (during which their best position was 15th). Secondly, those players I mentioned are the ones I could remember. You could probably add a couple more to the list (Hendry Thomas comes to mind). Furthermore, I didn't juge his free transfers (some were decent, some were not), and there are a few players I'm not sure of, either.

Anyways, it's a pointless argument since I'm not the one calling the shots. We'll see how it turns out (if, indeed, he is given the job) in a few months' time, I guess.

And don't even mention the new crest. It looks like something taken from a 5-and-under drawing contest.

Bill Kenwright has said he is talking to Martinez within the next 48 hours, but there is NO favorite as of yet, there are other managers on the list.
He said in the first week he spoke to internal applicants (Stubbs,Nevelle,Weir) second week was out of contract managers(Vitor Periera, Mark Hughes,Martin O'Neil) and this week the rest (Neil Lennon,Roberto Martinez.)

Out of all the possible names, they are all a risk for various different reasons, however the name that stands out with the potential to be most beneficial to Everton is "VITOR PERIERA"

This guy has won back to back titles with Porto, its to be expected but he also done it with just 1 loss over the two seasons in charge.
Impressive in any league (Celtic lost 7 games this season).
He speaks fluent English and has worked with Mourinhio and AVB in the past.

Why would he consider Everton ?

1) He has expressed an interest in Managing in the EPL
2) He was a guest at Goodison for some home games over the Xmas Period
3) His agent is also Kevin Mirallas agent, apparently he has some sort of relationship with Kenwright (at the very least they have spoken several times)

Appointing Vitor Periera is the risky, but bold ambitious appointment the vast majority of Everton fans want.

Compensation now agreed with Wigan, and Martinez could be named new gaffer within next 24 hours. Think I'll visit some EFC forums, grab some popcorn and watch the meltdown ensue lol

Think it is a good appointment but may take time to implement style on the team

However Martinez comment to 'promise champions league qualification' seems fairly stupid at this stage considering it will be hard to maintain the Moyes results on the tight budget Everton are on

Think it is a good appointment but may take time to implement style on the team

However Martinez comment to 'promise champions league qualification' seems fairly stupid at this stage considering it will be hard to maintain the Moyes results on the tight budget Everton are on

Well, there was something I wasn't aware of, and that was a new media deal which has provided financial stability for the first time in god knows. And if as expected we do sell off Fellaini, and sell Heitinga that will provide even more cash. But it's definately too soon to think of CL. Priority should be adapting and sorting the players out. Transition starts now. Priority for me is to start the gradual rebuilding of an aging midfield, and sort out the upfront problem as well. Defensively (as long as we keep Baines) we are sound, and that needs little work imo. And he has the developing youth policy too so that's going to be kept going. Hopefully, we'll keep backroom staff such as Irvine etc. It's imperative.

But his enthusiasm is infectious and he should be given the time. It's a breath of fresh air, with a new philosophy. And with his philosophy and inheriting a strong (albiet aging) squad, he'll have better results than he had with Wigan. Though most of the time they were crippled badly by injuries. Though he'll have to toughen up a bit. Not all Evertonians buy into the nice guy image when things go badly, and as I've seen they're pretty savage and way OTT on their criticisms half the time. But he is a very nice chap, honest, very intelligent, enthusiastic and I think he'll do very well.

Roll on the new season

Not much news so far. Martinez after Alcaraz on a free but competition from quite a few clubs, Heitinga could return to Holland, talks with Neville regarding his future and Fellaini.

Apart from that....usual post season quiet and speculation.

Everton legend David Hickson has passed away after a short illness.

Hickson was 83 years old when he died and was still a regular at Goodison Park last season.

He had two spells at Goodison Park and was also the only man to have played for all three Merseyside clubs, having appeared for Liverpool and Tranmere Rovers in a prolific career. The centre-forward hammered 25 league goals in the successful promotion campaign of 1953/54 but, after one season back in the top flight, Cliff Britton sold Hickson to Division One rivals Aston Villa.

He failed to settle in Birmingham though and following a spell at Huddersfield which was similarly short-lived he returned to Everton in August 1957. Goals were harder to come by second time around, after 71 goals in 151 games in his first spell, so Hickson moved across Stanley Park to Liverpool in November 1959. He earned the nickname the 'Cannonball Kid' at Anfield but left the Reds in 1961 to join Cambridge before later representing Bury and moving to Tranmere, where he spent the final two seasons of his career.

Goodison Park was his spiritual home though and he once said: "I would have died for Everton. I would have broken every other bone in my body for any other club I played for but I would have died for this club."

Current Everton captain Phil Jagielka said: "Dave was always a friendly face at Goodison Park and he loved watching the team.There are many people who knew him better than me but he would come into the dressing room after games to take our Man of the Match into the lounges and he loved being amongst the lads. He was clearly an immensely popular person with everyone at Goodison and the supporters idolised him. He was a legend and always will be.On behalf of all the players at Everton I'd like to send our sympathy to the family. It's a desperately sad time for all of us here at the club but even more so for his family."

(Sky Sports News)

View attachment 365797

R.I.P David

**** me, Atlético Madrid sign Villa for 4m and we sign Arouna ******* Kone for 5.

We're being linked with Joey Barton. And he's said he'll take a pay cut to join us. Erm.......ookkkkaayyyy

Back