The Everton Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 346K
Everton are a Lukaku injury away from disaster. And they've played absolutely nobody outside of the opening day draw with Tottenham.

Very good start but let's not go getting silly to think such a threadbare, poor quality squad is going to threaten a Champions League spot. Even the delusional masters themselves, blues, would laugh at that.
Agree plus if they keep playing Bolasie instead of Deulofeu it will be to the detriment. Bolasie is far to inconsistent and I doubt that will ever change was always like that at Palace despite playing week in week out. Deulofeu is far superior technically imo and is more than quick enough to go past players. Everton look a far more dangerous side with him in the team.

The only thing I can agree with you on is that Gueye is superb in the middle of the park, Kante esque. But Barry puts in so much nitty gritty too.

Williams is fantastic for them in my opinion, and one of the main reasons how Wales progressed so far in the Euro's, and I know you're going to post some heatwave map or some nonsense like that but leave it out lol, football is so much more than just statistics.

Bolasie has super pace & trickery, and if he becomes more consistent, can be one of the best "I'll take you on and beat you" wingers in the league. I do know what you're saying about Delofeu, but I don't think he would *overly* improve the team, Mirallas, barring his selfishness, pretty much brings everything Gerard would to the table.
Barry is worth having in the middle of the park as he's good on the ball. He just needed someone with legs next to him. Williams is good for £12 Million but he is error-prone. I do like him.

Bolasie like Zaha is a good dribbler but his past output is pathetic. He's proven to be an elite dribbling but doesn't score or provide key passes. He's a totally worthless player in the final third. Mirallas is an okay finisher but doesn't offer much in the final third.
Deulofeu is a special player. He's the only player that looks like he belongs in a top 4 side. Benching him was scandalous.View attachment 127804

I really do think Everton will be in the top 7 and not double figure points off a Champions League spot if not in one (I don't think they'll break into it, but have what it takes to breathe down their necks), I'll quote this post at the end of the season irregardless of how right or wrong I am :)

I doubt I'll have to go back too many pages anyway, going by the recent activity of this thread :D

Everton are a Lukaku injury away from disaster. And they've played absolutely nobody outside of the opening day draw with Tottenham.

Very good start but let's not go getting silly to think such a threadbare, poor quality squad is going to threaten a Champions League spot. Even the delusional masters themselves, blues, would laugh at that.
They have no good backup for Lukaku. The best way to play against Bolasie is to let him cross the ball because he's totally useless apart from being a flashy dribbler (headless chicken). He would be dubious for £30 Million if his output increased tenfold (literally). Deulofeu (best attacker) is forever benched meaning that this is to their own detriment. If Gueye gets injured, the soft centre will be exposed. I think that statistically, Everton were one of the easiest teams to play through the centre of last season. Barry has been losing his legs and McCarthy ain't much better. If Gueye is injured, the same issues show up. Centre back depth is an issue. Williams (most error-prone central defender in league) and Jagielka are good but i'm not sure top 4 especially with poor depth. Howard was worse than Mignolet in terms of expected saves and Stekelenburg is equally dubious. The squad is threadbare.

Williams was statistically the most error prone centre half last year? Really? That well surprises me. Always had him down as the key reason Swansea have survived this long.

Wouldn't of paid £12 million for him like now at 31 as opposed to 4 years back when we were heavily linked under Rodgers. But I can see why Everton did to tide them over for the next 3 years or so.

If Everton want a good season there are 5 main factors:
1) Pray Lukaku stays fit
2) Pray Deulofeu plays and keeps Bolasie on the bench
3) Pray Gueye stays fit
4) Pray Williams doesn't make too many mistakes
5) Pray Stekelenburg somehow reverses his below-par performances for the past 5 years.

Williams was statistically the most error prone centre half last year? Really? That well surprises me. Always had him down as the key reason Swansea have survived this long.

Wouldn't of paid £12 million for him like now at 31 as opposed to 4 years back when we were heavily linked under Rodgers. But I can see why Everton did to tide them over for the next 3 years or so.
He's error prone but a good player. Sort of like Joe Hart. Joe Hart has kept City in many games but his error proneness is perhaps what's kept him out of the world-class category. £12 Million is a good price conceding the premier league experience and overall quality.

If Everton want a good season there are 5 main factors:
1) Pray Lukaku stays fit
2) Pray Deulofeu plays and keeps Bolasie on the bench
3) Pray Gueye stays fit
4) Pray Williams doesn't make too many mistakes
5) Pray Stekelenburg somehow reverses his below-par performances for the past 5 years.

Most of those seem like similar wishes for all clubs? I'm sure every club prays their best player & top goalscorer stays fit, I'm sure every club prays their first choice centre half doesn't too many mistakes, I'm sure every club wants their best midfielder to stay fit.

Let's switch those main "prayers" to Chelsea;

1) Pray Costa stays fit
2) Pray Kante stays fit
3) Pray John Terry doesn't make too many mistakes

You can have all the depth you want, but at the end of the day, no City fan would want Iheanacho having to cover for Aguero all season, no Chelsea fan would want Batshuayi having to cover for Costa all season, why? Because they're their goalscorers, just like Lukaku is to Everton. I think these factors apply to all clubs.

Most of those seem like similar wishes for all clubs? I'm sure every club prays their best player & top goalscorer stays fit, I'm sure every club prays their first choice centre half doesn't too many mistakes, I'm sure every club wants their best midfielder to stay fit.

Let's switch those main "prayers" to Chelsea;

1) Pray Costa stays fit
2) Pray Kante stays fit
3) Pray John Terry doesn't make too many mistakes

You can have all the depth you want, but at the end of the day, no City fan would want Iheanacho having to cover for Aguero all season, no Chelsea fan would want Batshuayi having to cover for Costa all season, why? Because they're their goalscorers, just like Lukaku is to Everton. I think these factors apply to all clubs.
Iheanacho and Batshuayi are far more capable backups than Kone. Did you not see City win the Derby without Aguero? Don't compare your squad depth with these teams. It's honestly pathetic. Chelsea have Matic who can play defensive midfield and John Terry isn't an error-prone centre half. There are too many ifs and buts at Everton.

I need to know what you're on Phil. And also....do have any you can share because it seems like good stuff

2nd the table and unbeaten in 5 off the back of 5 straight wins in league and cup hey mate. Scary times.

Rumour is the last time that happened MOTD was in black and white and Britain still had an Empire, never mind not being in Europe.

Iheanacho and Batshuayi are far more capable backups than Kone. Did you not see City win the Derby without Aguero? Don't compare your squad depth with these teams. It's honestly pathetic. Chelsea have Matic who can play defensive midfield and John Terry isn't an error-prone centre half. There are too many ifs and buts at Everton.

I take it you didn't even watch the game, if you did you would've known that Enner Valencia came on for the injured Lukaku, and is above Kone in the pecking order. So if you didn't watch the game, and didn't see how they played, why the **** are you even arguing? For the sake of it? I'd go on more by watching games than stats & heatwave maps tbh. But each to their own.

As for City in the derby without Aguero, I would near guarantee you it would've been an absolute slaughtering had he of played.

Last edited:
You can't compare Enner Valencia a Westham reject to Iheanacho/Batshuayi. Fact of the matter is Everton's squad depth when compared to the top 6 is **** poor.

You can't compare Enner Valencia a Westham reject to Iheanacho/Batshuayi. Fact of the matter is Everton's squad depth when compared to the top 6 is **** poor.

That's not the point, my point is the difference between Aguero (who is much better than Lukaku) and Iheanacho, and Costa (who is better than Lukaku) and Batshuayi is pretty much the same difference between Lukaku and Valencia.

My point is that ANY SIDE would need their key goalscorer to stay fit to be able to reach their seasonal expectations, NOT JUST A SPECIAL EXCEPTION TO EVERTON. I suppose Leicester's depth was "**** poor" compared to them all too last season, they were just lucky that Vardy & Mahrez stayed fit oO)

You don't judge teams on paper, I watched them today and they played superb, simple.

That's not the point, my point is the difference between Aguero (who is much better than Lukaku) and Iheanacho, and Costa (who is better than Lukaku) and Batshuayi is pretty much the same difference between Lukaku and Valencia.

My point is that ANY SIDE would need their key goalscorer to stay fit to be able to reach their seasonal expectations, NOT JUST A SPECIAL EXCEPTION TO EVERTON. I suppose Leicester's depth was "**** poor" compared to them all too last season, they were just lucky that Vardy & Mahrez stayed fit oO)

You don't judge teams on paper, I watched them today and they played superb, simple.

Can I just add at this juncture L'pool have played the best football outside of City, swatted aside London's finest and the Champions, and have yet to see a goal from their key goalscorer Sturridge. :D.

Carry on.

Can I just add at this juncture L'pool have played the best football outside of City, swatted aside London's finest and the Champions, and have yet to see a goal from their key goalscorer Sturridge. :D.

Carry on.

Liverpool are an exception the way you guys play, it's a front 3-4, there's no main man. Also I'd near go as far as saying from what I've seen, I'd be looking to Firmino for the goals - looks a little gem of a player, can easily get over double figures.

Edit; And you haven't met your seasonal expectations yet either Scouse ;)

Last edited:
Liverpool are an exception the way you guys play, it's a front 3-4, there's no main man. Also I'd near go as far as saying from what I've seen, I'd be looking to Firmino for the goals - looks a little gem of a player, can easily get over double figures.

Edit; And you haven't met your seasonal expectations yet either Scouse ;)

Personally think he's better than Coutinho but every opposition fan seems to think Coutinho is our only World class player as he bangs a Worldie the top bin every 30th attempt.

Coutinho's the MOTD highlight reel player everyone else see's. But is frustratingly inconsistent as to what his talents should have him doing consistently. Firmino's the all round non-stop worker who's interchanging and non-stop work rate is what we see who's integral to the team.

Very quietly elevating himself into one of the best players the league.

Personally think he's better than Coutinho but every opposition fan seems to think Coutinho is our only World class player as he bangs a Worldie the top bin every 30th attempt.

Coutinho's the MOTD highlight reel player everyone else see's. But is frustratingly inconsistent as to what his talents should have him doing consistently. Firmino's the all round non-stop worker who's interchanging and non-stop work rate is what we see who's integral to the team.

Very quietly elevating himself into one of the best players the league.

You could see in Klopp's pre-match interview how reluctant he was to leave out Firmino, he looked so ****** off about it and tempted to play him but he obviously saw the bigger picture, it wouldn't be worth taking the risk.

You could see in Klopp's pre-match interview how reluctant he was to leave out Firmino, he looked so ****** off about it and tempted to play him but he obviously saw the bigger picture, it wouldn't be worth taking the risk.

Really? Interesting. But the depth there now is, there's absolutely zero need to rush anyone back save for maybe if Clyne or Milner were carrying knocks.

Sturridge has actually been the best he's been in ages in terms of playing for the team and fitting into the fluidity expected up there the last two games. I think once he scores, which more than likely will come against Hull next weekend the way he eats up inferior opponents, the floodgates will open for him. But it's been clear since day one Klopp trusts Firmino more than any of them down to his work ethic and selfless team play. Particularly the big games.

Personally, a front three of Mane, Sturridge and Firmino, with the limitless options behind which increase further if you drop Coutinho back would be the ideal scenario. But the multitude of options the front 5/6 is one heck of a nice one to have for the manager.

Last edited:
Back