The Everton Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 346K
Again-can we cut down with the copy pasting of tweets please

I'm finding some rumors circulating that it's "almost inevitable" (yes Jim White-why say such tosh?) that Rooney is returning to Everton 100% laughable. Especially when he's involved in modelling the new Man Utd kit.

Even if it did happen it would be a strange move. Unlike some other quarters out there, I'm all for giving players a chance, irrespective of previous season performances etc. But it just doesn't make any sense to me. Therefore I categorically 100% refuse to believe all this mumbo jumbo.

Twitter is now 100% off limits for any transfer rumors for me. Lately they're just full of absolute tripe.

Last edited:
Keane to Everton is official for a fee rising to 30 million. Nice few million for United as well in the sell on clause

I'm finding some rumors circulating that it's "almost inevitable" (yes Jim White-why say such tosh?) that Rooney is returning to Everton 100% laughable. Especially when he's involved in modelling the new Man Utd kit.

Even if it did happen it would be a strange move. Unlike some other quarters out there, I'm all for giving players a chance, irrespective of previous season performances etc. But it just doesn't make any sense to me. Therefore I categorically 100% refuse to believe all this mumbo jumbo.

Twitter is now 100% off limits for any transfer rumors for me. Lately they're just full of absolute tripe.
Yeah players do kit adverts and are still sold all the time.

£60 million (potentially) on two players already. Few years ago that would have broken some records. Now it's considered small change

Yeah players do kit adverts and are still sold all the time.

Still not buying it whatsoever though tbh. It wouldn't benefit him at all so I no reason for him to return. It's nothing against him though as I'm still a fan of him.

Still not buying it whatsoever though tbh. It wouldn't benefit him at all so I no reason for him to return. It's nothing against him though as I'm still a fan of him.
not that the press know much but there's a **** of a lot that think it's gonna happen. Koeman has even stated he would have him himself to the press. Will see I guess.

10 years ago today we signed a rather decent chap by the name of Phil Jagielka for £4 million from Sheffied United (where he mainly played central midfielder). And I've absolutely loved watching him play. Even when we've played garbage, he's always given 100% effort and commitment, always covering other peoples mistakes when needed-a leader. The only thing I'm sad about he's never got a trophy winners medal-the majority of the time he's damned well deserved one. I'm hoping he stays at the club. He wants to stay and personally think we should keep him irrespective of age.

Couple of standout moments for me:

[video=youtube;5mvYL4fzpAw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mvYL4fzpAw[/video]

[video=youtube;R1Dcd04Gu3Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1Dcd04Gu3Q[/video]

Happy anniversary Phil!

[h=1]Everton pushing for Rooney return[/h]
Matt Dickinson, Gary Jacob, Paul Joyce
July 4 2017, 12:01am, The Times

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fe0681180-6027-11e7-b6f8-8145f3f5d431.jpg

Koeman believes that Rooney would add experience and quality to his squadANDREW COULDRIDGE/REUTERSSharehttps://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/everton-pushing-for-rooney-return-dsttjxh7thttps://www.facebook.com/dialog/sha...e/everton-pushing-for-rooney-return-dsttjxh7thttps://twitter.com/intent/tweet?ur...e/everton-pushing-for-rooney-return-dsttjxh7tSave

Everton have stepped up their efforts to lure Wayne Rooney back to Goodison Park. There remain hurdles to overcome, notably coming up with a financial package for a player who earns about £250,000 a week at Manchester United, but Everton’s desire to strike a deal for the 31-year-old is now clear.
The situation has been discussed over the past week and the clubs have also been talking about Romelu Lukaku, who is wanted by both United and Chelsea. Rooney was due to return from holiday last night and will report for training at the end of the week.
José Mourinho, the United manager, has said that he wants his club captain to remain at Old Trafford but the prospect of regular football at Everton, whom Rooney left in 2004, is intriguing for a player who has said that his boyhood club is the only other one that he would play for in the Premier League. There has also been interest from China, the United States and Europe.
Ronald Koeman, the Everton manager, believes that Rooney would add experience and quality to his squad. It is unclear what sort of fee United would want for a player with 12 months left on his contract, and there is also an option for him to sign on for another year.
Everton’s ambition is plain. Michael Keane completed his move from Burnley yesterday, signing a five-year deal for a fee that could rise from £25 million to a club-record equalling £30million depending on the defender’s progress.
“First and foremost, the manager was a big factor in me coming to the club,” Keane said. “He played in my position when he was a world-class player for a great Barcelona side and a great Dutch side and the style of football he likes to play will suit me, I believe.”
The club have also signed Sandro Ramírez, the Malaga and Spain Under-21 striker, for £5.2 million, taking Everton’s spending to £90 million. Jordan Pickford, Davy Klaassen and Henry Onyekuru have already been signed.

Paul Joyce is excellent on Merseyside.

Despite it making no sense for Everton, I think there will definitely be truth in it.

Paul Joyce is excellent on Merseyside.

Despite it making no sense for Everton, I think there will definitely be truth in it.

Well it's certainly making for interesting situation. Like you said, it doesn't make sense for Everton though. But this is football-stranger things have happened.

Sidenote-Ladbrokes slashed odds of him returning to just 1/5 at one point.

Last edited:
Pains me to say it but if, as seems apparent, the Lukaku deal goes through well done on outstanding business.

Everton, however it's made up, totalling up the £100 mill. they've been shouting about from day one. Getting a World record fee for a frustratingly inconsistent player, not least against his no-shows against the top 6 Everton so desperately want to break into; who both doesn't want to be there and who most fans have done nottin' but nark about when he has been. All for a player you paid £28 million for who every man and his dog at the time thought was a WELL OTT fee.

Invest that in 2 or 3 players (or more) who score and more than compensate for Lukaku's output, which is what, around 13 a league season in Everton terms. Not relying on one fella' for the goals and becoming more multi-dimensional surely can't be seen as anything other than progressive? Koeman only has to be looking over the park for a multi-faceted team that scores from all over rather than just having Lukaku to take out the game if you're the opposition.

Reinvest in for argument's sake Giroud, Sigurdsson and a few others and to move on for such good business will look far from Everton's detriment but exciting times over the next three weeks before your season starts the qualifier.

Officially it's £75m (+£15m potentially in add ons), so no it's not £100m as you keep saying Scouse.

Rooney can't really be considered anything either because he isn't officially part of the deal. You can say it's good or bad that their getting Rooney, most don't even consider him an asset though so you can't really make positive or negative out of it. More positive for United to get the wages off their books than it is for Everton IMO.

Anyway, despite all that being said, it's a good deal for Everton. But in the modern market and replacing someone who scored over 25 goals last season is incredibly tough. You won't get a replacement who will match that so it's about investing in two or three players to share the workload. I don't think it will be easy for Everton to replace Lukaku, one of the hardest players to replace is a striker who scored that many over several seasons. I mean 2nd highest scorer to only Aguero in last 5 seasons.

Cant wait to see where the money goes, Koeman looks to be building a really decent team/squad. If he can get 3 players to chip in 10 goals a piece extra thats Lukaku covered. Glyfi & Rooney can prob some/most of that (if he lands gylfi).

Quite looking forward to see what he pulls together.

Lets not forget how badly Everton wanted to keep him... would of made him their highest ever paid player, but he didn't want to stay, so there was no chance of another renewal. They know how hard strikers are to come by in this market.

Cant wait to see where the money goes, Koeman looks to be building a really decent team/squad. If he can get 3 players to chip in 10 goals a piece extra thats Lukaku covered. Glyfi & Rooney can prob some/most of that (if he lands gylfi).

Quite looking forward to see what he pulls together.

I doubt Rooney will chip in with much of anything tbh, the guy is finished as a player, nothing but a sentimental move. Would be happy to be proven wrong, but he has totally lost it.

think they should go for Giroud shown how good he can be when the team plays to his strengths and in todays market 20m could be great value

Back