The Everton Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 346K
On a side note, Tim Cahill pulled out of NT duty to recover from injury. Guess it's good news of sorts.

Thank god. We need him. May have had a slow burner of a start, but he's still vital-the problems he causes are so obvious.

And news just got better, it's the sun but hey, it's better than nothing:

EVERTON have swooped for 15-year-old Bradford starlet George Green.

The Toffees are paying £350,000 up front for the midfielder and have agreed a series of add-ons, which could be worth £1.75million to the League Two side. Bayern Munich, Spurs, Newcastle and Rangers all wanted Green.
Tottenham were particularly keen after the teenager scored a first-half hat-trick for them in a trial game against Aston Villa 10 days ago.

And news just got better, it's the sun but hey, it's better than nothing:

Have to admit, I've not heard of him. Sounds promising though. Just shocked to the words "paying" and "up front" in the same sentence. Along with the figure £1.75 million lol

Fingers crossed. Another potential Moyes bargain

I was shocked too, but if he turns out good, and Moyes sure knows about that, then 1.75m isn't much.

---------- Post added 05/10/2011 at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was 03/10/2011 at 11:52 AM ----------

Everton Sign Green Deal / News Archive / News / evertonfc.com - The Official Website of Everton Football Club

The official announcement (I was 2 days late with this one but oh well).

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

Everton Sign Green Deal / News Archive / News / evertonfc.com - The Official Website of Everton Football Club

The official announcement (I was 2 days late with this one but oh well).

---------- Post added 06/10/2011 at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was 05/10/2011 at 12:36 PM ----------

EVERTON have the best points per pounds spent ratio of last season's top 10 Premier League clubs.

Football magazine Four Four Two's latest Rich List revealed that the Goodison Park club have spent £48,192 per point since 2004 when Bill Kenwright bought the club for £20million.
In contrast, neighbours Liverpool spent £7.5 million per point since the club were taken over a year ago by the Fenway Sports Group.

£1.75 mil on a youngster? No pressure on him or anything, but if Moyes spent that much on a young'un he's likely insanely good.

£1.75 mil on a youngster? No pressure on him or anything, but if Moyes spent that much on a young'un he's likely insanely good.

Yup. No way DM would waste money we can ill afford to lose on someone who's not that special. Will be watching with interest to see how he pans out.

And on a sidenote, once the FM 2012 demo has finished installing, they better have made Barkley better-be the first player I check out :)

Yup. No way DM would waste money we can ill afford to lose on someone who's not that special. Will be watching with interest to see how he pans out.

And on a sidenote, once the FM 2012 demo has finished installing, they better have made Barkley better-be the first player I check out :)

**** your Barkley, I want to know if they've improved Villa youngsters at all. Bannan better be a super beast of doom.

Lucky bastards - demo isn't available in Argentina.

That's a bit ****. How come?

'This content is currently unavailable in your country' pops up when I try to download.

Will have to wait till it's available via not-so-legal means.

'This content is currently unavailable in your country' pops up when I try to download.

Will have to wait till it's available via not-so-legal means.

There's a way around that on the demo thread :)

Actually I won't - looks like some of the boys already found a way around this 'unavailable' **** so I'll be giving it a shot.

//Edit - Zoomed lol

Ahh, i haven't had a good rant on here in a long time :P

What are your thoughts on the season thus far? I have been well, i would say we are doing as expected. We have played poorly this season and managed to scrape a win against Blackburn and Wigan. In both games i think we played like a team in a dogfight. I suppose in some ways we are. I have been very impressed by Vellios and Drenthe. I think young Vellios could develop into a very good striker under the right guidance. When "Drench" has came on he has looked sharp, bar a few minor mistakes which is to be expected of a player getting to grips with the Premier League intensity. Stracq - Denis, has looked clumsy and well, poor. I know he hasn't been iven a chance yet but he is certainly not the answer. Haven't heard much more about Ross barkley, which is good and bad. The lad was just starting to feel the strain of the PL when he made a few mistakes - i wish Moyes had kept him in longer tho - although keeping him quiet may be the best thing to fight of endless transfer speculation.

How do you think the new signings and the youngsters have fared?

Not surprised nor bothered by the way things are going so far. Wouldn't say we're doing well, because there's much improvement to be made but considering how things were looking after the Arteta deal I could say I'm satisfied.

On the bright side, Drenthe is looking good, Jack was good against City and great for those 20 minutes against Liverpool, and although I'm not entirely sure if there's something more to Neville's current status as a benchwarmer I must say Hibbert has played well (Although he could've closed Albrighton down against Villa, I'm still gutted about that draw) and even put in a few good crosses apart from his usual marking/tackling game. I've got high hopes for Barkley and I'd like to see him get a few more games, because if we are to lose Fellaini in January I'd like him to be ready to step up. Our defense isn't looking bad either, although you can't disregard the fact that Jags hasn't looked as focused as he used to.

On the not so bright side, I think we're looking too one-dimensional when attacking, just crossing into the box as much as we can or taking shots from outside the box, and we're lacking firepower - which is reflected by the fact most of our goals have come either from set pieces or from midfield. On that regard, I'd like to see either or both Vellios (Who has looked good so far) and Denis (Who is as one-dimensional as they get but he can bang them in, I can vouch for that) getting a few starts. If we are to spam crosses we might as well have a big guy on the receiving end - as much as I love Tim and his aerial ability he hasn't been at his best lately. I wouldn't mind a different approach and try playing Billy behind Saha and see how he fares - not the biggest fan of Billy but he's got a decent dribble and a good shot on him. We could also try a 4-4-2, with Saha and Tolos up front and Drenthe/Billy on the left and Seamus/Ossie on the right.

Anyways, this is mere speculation on my part, and some dreaming as well, but the good news is we actually can speculate, because we have options.

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

More on George Green:

AS THE stirring opening drum roll of Z-Cars blurred out around Goodison Park, the hairs on the back of school-boy George Green’s neck stood-up.

The 15-year-old may have been destined for a big-money move from League Two Bradford City to Tottenham Hotspur, but he had never experienced anything like the atmosphere of Goodison Park on derby day.

Earlier that morning, one of the most highly-rated teenagers in England had been granted privileged access to Everton’s super-charged dressing room, before a chat with David Moyes in the manager’s office.

It’s safe to say Moyes was determined to do all he could to give the Spurs-bound youngster pause for thought.

Whatever the Everton boss said to him in that private meeting did the trick – because Green changed his mind and signed for the Blues last week much to the chagrin of Harry Redknapp, his chairman Daniel Levy and the assorted scouts of a host of other Premier League clubs.

As revealed in the ECHO, the Toffees had been tracing Green all summer, after watching him play in an U-18s trial match for Spurs against Aston Villa when he scored a scintillating hat-trick that left the queue of watching scouts in awe.

Archie Christie, Bradford’s head of football development, firmly believes Green can be every inch as good as the Bantam’s other former youth stars; Manchester United’s Tom Cleverley, Aston Villa’s Fabian Delph, and Liverpool’s Andre Wisdom.

And the Scot is delighted his protegee chose Everton, ahead of a long line of other jealous clubs.

“I’d spoken to Harry Redknapp shortly after George played for our reserves earlier this year and said, “We’ve got a boy here who’s as good as they come,” says the affable former Dagenham & Redbridge scout.

“He was 15 playing for the reserves, challenging for headers he had no right to win against men. Harry had loaned us a goalkeeper at short notice so we owed him a good turn, and we agreed to let George go and have a trial down there.

“For the first 15 minutes of the game against Villa he was quiet, then he took it by the scruff of the neck and scored three. His first was sublime, a 25 yard effort into the top corner, and for the second he beat about six opponents.

“Everton had a scout watching and he sounded me out about speaking to David Moyes.

“I said to George, ‘You'll be going to the Premier League and you need to go for the right footballing reasons, the money will come,’ and I knew there were so many clubs ringing me asking for him.”

Liverpool were among the covetous throng of admirers, but Christie insists Green, who had an earlier trial with the Anfield club, was adamant he did not want to return.

"He said he’d rather stay at Bradford than go to Liverpool,” he says. “He had been last year and was just told he wasn’t big enough, he wasn’t strong enough etc.

“That made my job much easier. It was down to Arsenal, Everton, Rangers, Tottenham and Southampton. Davie Moyes phoned me and we had already agreed an offer for Spurs, but he asked to at least have the chance to speak to him.

“So we took him to the Merseyside derby on Saturday. They told him this is the People’s Club and that you’re either red or blue in Merseyside, and he said ‘I’m a Blue’.

“I told him about my pals Duncan Ferguson and Neville Southall. I told him they've got a great manager who gives young players a chance.

“ ‘Everton are not going to go out and spend £50m on a foreigner, they will spend two or three years developing you,’ I said.

“Look at Wayne Rooney and Jack Rodwell. Even the boy now Ross Barkley. Everton won’t go and spend £18m on an English midfielder from another club like Jordan Henderson.

“I told him that if he works hard and shows what he’s capable of he could be in their first team frame in two or three years.”

As Christie was advising his young charge, Everton scout Andy Philpott pushed the boat out. Green was presented with an Everton home shirt with his name and number 10 on the back, and the well-mannered Dewsbury lad, who turns 16 in January, was already thrilled by his derby experience during which he impressed staff by turning up in a shirt and tie.

“It took 11 minutes to reach an agreement with Everton in the end,” says Christie. “Spurs caught wind of it and offered us double what we’d agreed with Everton. Daniel Levy offered in excess of £600,000 up front and better terms all round.

“But we’d reached an honourable agreement with Everton, and decided to stand by it.”

In the 24 hours after the deal, Christie told the Bradford Telegraph & Argus that Green reminded him of Wayne Rooney, a comment he regrets.

“I shouldn’t have said that, it wasn’t fair on the lad,” he admits. “He is 5ft9in and stocky and plays as a number 10 behind the striker and that was the comparison in my mind.”

And he scored in his debut for our u-16s!

With the acquisition of the impressive Drenthe, I can't help feeling that for once Everton have a selection dilemma. You could play your normal 4-4-1-1/4-2-3-1 cross, which I think suits you best, but it means leaving out one of Coleman, Cahill, Osman or Drenthe. Still, having people to rotate is hardly a bad thing, and Osman's versatile enough to slot in just about anywhere.

Also, Athe~ makes a good point about the amount of crosses played. You do roughly 24 a game, with a 6% success rate. Even more interestingly though, you've only done one through-ball so far this season, and it failed. Bears the marks of an Arteta-less midfield, perhaps.

I would've replied yesterday, but frankly........I couldn't be arsed. Had the mother of all hangovers and frankly wanted to die.

But anyway. It's how I expected to be honest. Rodwell showing what he's capable of when playing Man City, Seamus Coleman doing his bit and bombing down the pitch causing problems, struggling without Arteta-clearly missing the creativity. Impressed by what I've seen of Drenthe though. Give him a bit longer and he'll be in the starting XI regularly. And I'm excited by George Green. Another Moyes jewel by the sounds of it. But it looks increasingly like age is starting to catch with Tim. Been a great player, but I feel this is the season where he'll start to wind down a bit as a player. I don't like saying it-but it happens to the best of him. But Hibbert I have to say, he's been playing some blinders lately. Yes, he should've gone for the challenge on Adam in the derby, but he's been playing out of his skin. Like to know what they've put in his cornflakes lol.

But overall, I don't expect anything higher than 10th. This is (to me anyway) the beginning of a transistional period. The older guys are starting to show age, but the youngsters are coming into their own. I don't even need to mention how great a player Barkley looks right now. But someone needs to get Jags focused-the window has definately messed with his head, and he simply cannot afford any more silly mistakes. DM won't stand for it, and at some point, will drop him wether the fans, or Jags, likes it or not. He's does whats best for the club. If Jags isn't playing his best (regardless if he's trying or not) he'll drop him. Maybe it's what he needs to get himself together and sort his head out.

So anything higher than 10th, I'll be very happy with. O yeah, and Redknapp-IN.....YOUR.......FACE!!!!!!!!

Part of an article by the Echo.

PHIL JAGIELKA is aiming to keep it clean for Everton FC at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.Everton’s England defender is desperate to keep a clean sheet – against a Chelsea side which has scored five and four in its last two Premier League outings.
And he accepts that his own form has to improve if he is to help achieve that aim.
“Am I happy with my form? No, not really,” he said. “We haven’t kept a clean sheet yet.
“I’ve given away a couple of penalties which is very frustrating, but I suppose that’s what happens if you’re a defender.
“I’d love to be standing here and saying ‘yes, I’m really really happy’ but I analyse my own game and set pretty high standards and hopefully in a month’s time we’ll have kept a few clean sheets and if you ask me the same question I’ll be a lot happier.”
The Blues have kept only one clean sheet in eight matches so far this season – and even that needed two penalty misses by Blackburn.

And some bad news, Jack picked up a groin injury and is in doubt for the Chelsea match.

I just thought I'd post this, to vindicate how tremondous a manager DM REALLY is, and how well we've managed to compared to our red neighbours:

EVERTON have the best points per pounds spent ratio of last season's top 10 Premier League clubs.
Football magazine Four Four Two's latest Rich List revealed that the Goodison Park club have spent £48,192 per point since 2004 when Bill Kenwright bought the club for £20million.
In contrast, neighbours Liverpool spent £7.5 million per point since the club were taken over a year ago by the Fenway Sports Group.

Amazing stuff tbh.

I just thought I'd post this, to vindicate how tremondous a manager DM REALLY is, and how well we've managed to compared to our red neighbours:

Amazing stuff tbh.

I posted that over a week ago!

Back