The Everton Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 346K
have to say if i was a young player i would go to Everton or Arsenal if they wanted me as they are the two best clubs for developing and playing the young 'uns

David Moyes has revealed he has held talks with James McFadden, but appears to doubt the prospects of the attacker returning to Everton.

McFadden is available on a free transfer after leaving Birmingham City in the summer and is being chased by several clubs.
He recently trained with Everton's Premier League rivals, Wolves, and has also been offered the chance to link up with Celtic for a trial. SPL giants Celtic are reportedly favourites to snap up McFadden, who made over 130 appearances for Everton before leaving for Birmingham in 2008.

Moyes, who brought the Scotland international to Goodison Park from Motherwell in 2003, revealed he has spoken to McFadden about coming back to Merseyside. The Toffees boss is not conceding defeat in his bid to add the 28-year-old to his squad, but suggested his signing is unlikely.
"We have been talking to James and the people behind him for the last few weeks," said Moyes. "It could happen but I would say it's probably going against that now."

Duncan Ferguson returns to Goodison Park as part of the backroom staff:

Ferguson was afforded cult status during his two stints as a player on Merseyside, but has been out of football since retiring in 2006.

He was invited back by manager David Moyes to enable him to qualify as a full-time coach and was on the touchline for Everton's Under-18s clash with Crewe, which they won 4-1, last weekend. The invitation to Ferguson is part of a broader shake-up of the Everton Academy following the return of former assistant manager, Alan Irvine, who was appointed youth director last summer.

Ferguson has been working with Irvine and another Goodison legend, Kevin Sheedy, with the Under 18s and if he impresses it is likely to lead to a permanent role at the club.

“Duncan came back about a month ago and met me,” Moyes said. “He wants to watch and see what’s going on. He is back and helping Alan Irvine. He is not a qualified coach yet because he is going through his badges, but we have got him in and he’s happy to do the time and he working down at the academy. He is showing he really wants to do it. What I have to say is he is putting the hours and the effort in. He still has to get his Uefa ‘B’ licence and ‘A’ licence but he is shadowing Alan. He is out and about helping some of the younger teams here, he will get the chance to take some sessions. It could lead to something more, but what you need is your qualifications and that is the first thing.”

Ferguson, now 39, made over 200 appearances for Everton over two spells at the club. Always a maverick during his time at Goodison, Rangers and Newcastle, he was sent off six times during his spell at Everton. Such was his popularity among the Goodison faithful, especially due to the way he terrorised Liverpool during his heyday, his £8 million sale to Newcastle in 1999 effectively forced then chairman Peter Johnson out of the club. He returned to Everton 18 months later before quitting the game five years ago and has spent most of his time out of football living in Spain. Everton fans will be thrilled to see one their favourite sons return, although there is also a degree of surprise a notoriously private figure has opted to return to football.
Moyes admits he had not expected Ferguson to pursue a career in the game once his playing days were over, but is eager to help him down the right path.
“I have to say I didn’t foresee him going into coaching when I had him as a player,” Moyes said. “But Duncan has come back and I think he misses the smell of football a wee bit. If you look at the Everton legends in the eyes of the fans, coupled with the greats of Peter Reid, Neville Southall, Kevin Ratcliffe, Graeme Sharp and all that crew, then Duncan is maybe one who could put himself close to those players.”

(taken from Telegraph)

Welcome back Big Dunc :wub: We've missed you

I remember seeing his last game at Goodison with my Dad. Can't believe it's been more than 5 years... :-/

I remember seeing his last game at Goodison with my Dad. Can't believe it's been more than 5 years... :-/

I know-it's just flown by. Loved watchin him play. To say he unsettled defenders is a major understatement lol

I hope he's available as a youth coach after the first patch!

Also, some other news:

Femi Orenuga joins Notts County on loan. Our other kids currently on loan are Luke Garbutt (Cheltenham), Jose Baxter (Tranmere) and Shane Duffy (Scunthorpe).

Faddy played 45 minutes for our reserves in a 2-0 victory against Sunderland. Connor McAleny scored one of the goals, the other being an own goal.

George Green scored again, this time against Crewe (2-1 defeat). The youngster has scored twice in two appearances for our u-16s.

Two unnamed Cheltenham Town youngsters are apparently close to signing for us after impressing on trial.

Tony Hibbert has been named player of the month.

I hope he's available as a youth coach after the first patch!

Also, some other news:

Femi Orenuga joins Notts County on loan. Our other kids currently on loan are Luke Garbutt (Cheltenham), Jose Baxter (Tranmere) and Shane Duffy (Scunthorpe).

Faddy played 45 minutes for our reserves in a 2-0 victory against Sunderland. Connor McAleny scored one of the goals, the other being an own goal.

George Green scored again, this time against Crewe (2-1 defeat). The youngster has scored twice in two appearances for our u-16s.

Two unnamed Cheltenham Town youngsters are apparently close to signing for us after impressing on trial.

Tony Hibbert has been named player of the month.

No surprise there. Each game I've seen him in, even losing, he's put in an absolute stellar shift, and done some wicked crossing too. I'm still gutted he's never been picked for England at some point.

No surprise there. Each game I've seen him in, even losing, he's put in an absolute stellar shift, and done some wicked crossing too. I'm still gutted he's never been picked for England at some point.

He's impecable defensively and he's getting better at crosses, but he's added that new dimension to his game a little too late to earn himself a call-up. Not that I'm complaining, though. The way he's been playing lately I'd rather he stayed instead of rotting on the bench for England like Baines or Jags (Although he's been a tad dodgy lately...), who could/should be in the starting line-up.

He's impecable defensively and he's getting better at crosses, but he's added that new dimension to his game a little too late to earn himself a call-up. Not that I'm complaining, though. The way he's been playing lately I'd rather he stayed instead of rotting on the bench for England like Baines or Jags (Although he's been a tad dodgy lately...), who could/should be in the starting line-up.

Yeah. Shame really. If only he was a few years younger. Even in the past he's earned the right for a call-up but just got overlooked.

---------- Post added 23/10/2011 at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was 20/10/2011 at 11:33 PM ----------

Everton 3 Fulham 1 FT. A win at last. Always thought Drenthe should start. Get's a goal too. Nice one

Good to see Saha scoring too, been a while since his last goal. And an important goal, too.

Jack Rodwell is finally starting to realize his enormous potential. Good win for Everton and for you fans to celebrate. :)

aye, back to his usual self. Against potentially tricky team aswell, so I wouldn't say Fulham are a bad team, they can always cause problems. Just wish I wasn't so hungover then I would've watched it. Never touching a crate of Stella for a while lol

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

Have to say though, I'm not looking forward to the Man Utd match at Goodison next Sat. After todays result, I'm fully expecting a backlash of epic proportions

aye, back to his usual self. Against potentially tricky team aswell, so I wouldn't say Fulham are a bad team, they can always cause problems. Just wish I wasn't so hungover then I would've watched it. Never touching a crate of Stella for a while lol

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

Have to say though, I'm not looking forward to the Man Utd match at Goodison next Sat. After todays result, I'm fully expecting a backlash of epic proportions

I'm never looking forward to a match against United, but in all honesty we're on a high and they'll be coming with their morale shattered, if we're to take all three points it's now or never.

Good god. Just seen the miss by Zamora. I actually laughed for a minute solid. But that goal by Fulham-was very classy. Beautifully weighted chip over Howard. But what a goal by Drenthe too-great strike. But how Zamora missed that open goal-good god lol

Good win for Everton, first in 4 games :)

now go and make it 2 weeks running ;)

Good win for Everton, first in 4 games :)

now go and make it 2 weeks running ;)

Could've been possible......if we weren't playing Man Utd. You know what they say about a wounded animal. But I'm going to put my head on the block and go for a 1-1. Which I'll be happy with.

Could've been possible......if we weren't playing Man Utd. You know what they say about a wounded animal. But I'm going to put my head on the block and go for a 1-1. Which I'll be happy with.

thats why i want you to make it two weeks running !

Good god. Just seen the miss by Zamora. I actually laughed for a minute solid. But that goal by Fulham-was very classy. Beautifully weighted chip over Howard. But what a goal by Drenthe too-great strike. But how Zamora missed that open goal-good god lol

The Zamora miss reminded me of Torres' against Chelsea. Torres' was slightly worse though.

Back