The Everton Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 346K
IMO moyes should have left for Villa when he got the chance, he's done all he can at everton and clearly is too good a manager to be in the bottom half of the prem. Hoping he comes to united when fergie goes.

Moyes did the right thing. I would've loved him at Villa, but he's loved at Everton and loves the club in return. It would've been sacrificing too much for a sideways move.

Funny how he's been in the top half the latest 5 years for a bottom half team manager.

Wait, am I missing something here? I thought the guy was just referring to what ajt said, that he expects Everton to be in the bottom half, and thus Moyes should have left because he's too good to be a bottom half manager.

Wait, am I missing something here? I thought the guy was just referring to what ajt said, that he expects Everton to be in the bottom half, and thus Moyes should have left because he's too good to be a bottom half manager.

Well, he called him a bottom half manager which is a weird thing to call him either way. And even though ajt probably knows more about Everton than we do, we can't take predictions for facts.

Funny how he's been in the top half the latest 5 years for a bottom half team manager.

I was actually referring to ajt's post where he said he doesn't think Everton will finish top half this season.

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

Moyes did the right thing. I would've loved him at Villa, but he's loved at Everton and loves the club in return. It would've been sacrificing too much for a sideways move.

It maybe a sideways move in the short term, but now villa are a club back on the up whereas everton are looking like there about to decline. I understand he loves the club, but I don't really see a way he can improve on what he's already done.

Well, he called him a bottom half manager which is a weird thing to call him either way. And even though ajt probably knows more about Everton than we do, we can't take predictions for facts.

You got it all wrong - he said he's too good a manager to be in the bottom half.

Everton planning a deal with Man City for season long loan of Adam Johnson. I'd say yes please. Very talented player. Be very happy with that. Remains wether or not he'd want to go to Goodison though

Everton planning a deal with Man City for season long loan of Adam Johnson. I'd say yes please. Very talented player. Be very happy with that. Remains wether or not he'd want to go to Goodison though

Hope he does go, for England if nothing else. Don't see why he wouldn't want to go either.

Hope he does go, for England if nothing else. Don't see why he wouldn't want to go either.

Some players can be a bit finicky where they want to go sometimes lol. I definately would like to see him in a Goodison shirt. Moyes would definately aid in his development and always finds a way to significantly improve a player. Wonder if City would do it though, because of the animosity of the last transfer saga between the clubs.

Would be a good addition to the squad, although his wages are probably quite high.

Adam Johnson would be a quality signing, and I can't see a reason he wouldn't join.

As for people saying we are on the decline, or we're gonna be bottom half - we're in the same position as last season when we made 7th. Yes we haven't signed anyone new, but we also haven't sold anyone. The thing about Everton is that we probably have the best team attitude in the Prem, and that hasn't gone over the summer.

Yes, I am very worried about the direction my club is going in, and yes we will have more competition this season but I don't think it's as bad as some people are making out on this thread. Newcastle may have signed lots of decent players, but they still have Alan Pardew as manager! And Villa have sold their two best players and only bought one replacement so far.

Let's prove money isn't everything...COME ON YOU BLUES!!!

Everton recorded their third pre-season win in four attempts with a 2-1 win over Birmingham City at St Andrew's and the goals came courtesy of two very familiar sources.
Another perfectly judged free kick from Leighton Baines fired the Blues ahead and last season's top scorer Louis Saha marked his return from injury with a well taken second before Adam Rooney found the net for the hosts.
A lot has changed since Everton's last away day against City, their hosts have won the Carling Cup, been relegated and changed their manager, but the pattern of this game was remarkably similar to the victory they recorded at the same ground in the Premier League last October.
Chris Hughton's new-look side slightly edged the first period before Everton showed their class after half time to win the game.
Tim Howard didn't feature for Everton in America after a hectic Gold Cup campaign but he was restored in goal as one of six changes made by David Moyes from the side that started against DC United. There was also cause for optimism on the bench with Saha involved for the first time since injuring his ankle against Fulham in March.
In the opening exchanges at St Andrew's Howard was kept busy as Birmingham enjoyed some success down their right hand side.
After just three minutes young striker Rooney played in Chris Burke and his shot was beaten away by Howard.
On the quarter hour an almost identical pass meant the American custodian was in action again. This time it was Keith Fahey who found fellow countryman Stephen Carr but the veteran full-back was denied at the near post.
Birmingham then twice went close to breaking the deadlock from corners in the space of five minutes as David Murphy managed to peel into space at the back post at consecutive set pieces.
His first effort on 21 minutes was well directed but headed off the line by John Heitinga and the far simpler second opportunity failed to find the target.

efc__1312038586_beckford494.jpg

Jermaine Beckford looks to take control at St Andrew's

Everton's first chance of the game came courtesy of some smart footwork by Jermaine Beckford. The former Leeds man shimmied and side-stepped away from Curtis Davies but shot too close to City debutant Boaz Myhill.
Three minutes before the break David Moyes' side produced their best piece of football and it almost produced the opener. Diniyar Bilyaletdinov's cross-field ball found Seamus Colemanwho jinked past Murphy and found Osman but the midfielder stroked his effort just wide of the post.
In the second half after an audacious long range effort from Jordan Mutch was well dealt with by the back-pedalling Howard, Everton took control of the game.
On 58 minutes the visitors went ahead through a set piece after Seamus Coleman was tripped on the edge of the penalty area. Boaz Myhill gave Baines far too much space to aim at and it was almost predictable that the England defender's curling effort left the City goalkeeper grasping at thin air.

efc__1312045512_saha_bham.jpg

Louis Saha celebrates scoring on his return to action with Everton.

Baines was promptly replaced by Louis Saha, a welcome sight after four months on the sidelines, and it did not take him long to rediscover his scoring touch. The Frenchman's low effort from the edge of the area crept just inside the post.

After substitute Ross Barkley had fired not far over on 78 minutes, Birmingham soon halved Everton's advantage thanks to Rooney. Morgaro Gomis drilled a low ball into the penalty area and a deft touch from Rooney evaded Howard's despairing dive.
Everton nearly restored their two goal cushion with another free kick but this time Myhill managed to scramble across to deny substitute Magaye Gueye.

Stanadard. If Saha could stay fit for a season we have no striker crisis...the lad is still world class

Watched from th 50th minute on - Werder were by far the better side. We lacked a midfield altogether, both defensively and offensively, although I'm guessing Arteta and Fellaini will provide that when they're back. Watching our guys playing hoofball wasn't the best of sights, but you do what you can, I guess.

Just to give fellow Evertonians a heads up. From 7.30 pm ITV 4 are showing the Everton v Villareal friendly. Hooray!!! :D

Just to give fellow Evertonians a heads up. From 7.30 pm ITV 4 are showing the Everton v Villareal friendly. Hooray!!! :D
I'm still trying to figure out what time that is over here.

Erm.....that's one thing I'm unable to figure out i'm afraid lol.

It's now 19:49. And I'm not allowed to watch the match-other half wants to play dam lego harry frickin potter!!!! :@

Naaa it's ok mate. Got the match recording on Sky so will watch when she's done. Just have to avoid the result thats all lol

Back