The Everton Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 346K
What do you guys think of the (Now very possible) Jags -> Arsenal transfer?

IMO getting 20m wouldn't be half bad, as CB is probably the only position where we have good depth (Distin, Heitinga, Yobo, and on the reserves Duffy and Mustafi did a good job too), and 20m is a good chunk of our debt, and Kenwright will probably give Moyes some sort of a transfer kitty if he has an affordable player in mind. Also, Phil has been a very loyal servant to the club, he deserves CL football and I certainly wouldn't begrudge him the move. That said I'd like him to stay, but either way it's win-win imo.

Would be gutted tbh. But he definately deserves to be at a bigger club, and definately deserves CL football. However, chances are Yobo will now be leaving, after talks resumed for him to leave the club, so that'll probably be resolved in the next few days. And Heitinga said a while back he wants regular CL football aswell, and some clubs are monitoring the situation.

But as a huge fan of Jagielka, would be gutted, but would never begrudge him the move. Simply because he's earned it. And I like the fact too, how he hasn't kicked up a fuss or anything. He wants CL football, but has remained sensible and has forced nothing whatsoever. Makes me respect him more as a person and a player.

i'm going barca style and will say Everton kidnapped him and you should let him go as he has Arsenal DNA ;)

i'm going barca style and will say Everton kidnapped him and you should let him go as he has Arsenal DNA ;)

Ah but we genetically modified it and he's now a Blue ;)

What do you guys think of the (Now very possible) Jags -> Arsenal transfer?

IMO getting 20m wouldn't be half bad, as CB is probably the only position where we have good depth (Distin, Heitinga, Yobo, and on the reserves Duffy and Mustafi did a good job too), and 20m is a good chunk of our debt, and Kenwright will probably give Moyes some sort of a transfer kitty if he has an affordable player in mind. Also, Phil has been a very loyal servant to the club, he deserves CL football and I certainly wouldn't begrudge him the move. That said I'd like him to stay, but either way it's win-win imo.

Would be devastated tbh, and i think the club would really suffer because of it.. not just the players, but the fans and management also. What kinda statement is it that we are willing to sell our *BEST* player? Even if this nonsense is true, if we sold him for around 16 million, i don't believe we could sign a player of his quality for that money to replace him.
Yobo is not good enough, and i highly expect him to leave. Heitinga would be better suited to DM, Distin is 33 and not getting younger and Mustafi and Duffy don't have enough experience to go straight into the first team.
I do believe, Shane Duffy will be a future centre-half for us, he is a tall strong defender, but he's not ready yet, id rather loan him out.
20million for Jagielka won't clear our debt, it will put us into more because we will be going from a top 10 club to a bottom 10 club which evidently means less money for an already cash-strapped club.

Seen Long score for WBA at the weekend, i was gutted we didnt sign him, such a quality striker who will put the ball away if you give him the chance.. missed opportunity for us. Seen today though on SSN we are apparently looking at Vicente on a free transfer, its thought he'd favor a Prem league move.

Would be devastated tbh, and i think the club would really suffer because of it.. not just the players, but the fans and management also. What kinda statement is it that we are willing to sell our *BEST* player? Even if this nonsense is true, if we sold him for around 16 million, i don't believe we could sign a player of his quality for that money to replace him.
Yobo is not good enough, and i highly expect him to leave. Heitinga would be better suited to DM, Distin is 33 and not getting younger and Mustafi and Duffy don't have enough experience to go straight into the first team.
I do believe, Shane Duffy will be a future centre-half for us, he is a tall strong defender, but he's not ready yet, id rather loan him out.
20million for Jagielka won't clear our debt, it will put us into more because we will be going from a top 10 club to a bottom 10 club which evidently means less money for an already cash-strapped club.

Seen Long score for WBA at the weekend, i was gutted we didnt sign him, such a quality striker who will put the ball away if you give him the chance.. missed opportunity for us. Seen today though on SSN we are apparently looking at Vicente on a free transfer, its thought he'd favor a Prem league move.

Also trying to get Krancjar on loan too apparently

Quality signing he'd be!

Just seen our team for the friendly at Bohemians, not Jags...

Not even in the squad

When I read that highlighted bit, it just sent an almighty shiver up my spine-and it was distinctly unpleasant.......

Very happy to see Arteta back in the squad though. Very relieved.

Last edited:

We are in no condition to reject a move - if the bid is true the ball is in Jags court and honestly I wouldn't be angry if he did leave. As I said I'd like him to stay but he'll be 29 tomorrow and he won't get another chance at CL football if he doesn't take it, so I don't see him staying if the offer suits the club. He won't force the move, I'm sure of that, though.

On Vicente, do we really need another injury prone forward? He's a good player but Saha has that position fairly well covered... the infirmary I mean.

Last edited:
We are in no condition to reject a move - if the bid is true the ball is in Jags court and honestly I wouldn't be angry if he did leave. As I said I'd like him to stay but he'll be 29 tomorrow and he won't get another chance at CL football if he doesn't take it, so I don't see him staying if the offer suits the club. He won't force the move, I'm sure of that, though.

Jags wont force the move, he will do what's best for the club as much as what's best for him. Moyes also recognises that this is Jag's last chance. He wouldn't say no. I expect Jags to be an Arsenal player soon

Also, on yeat another positive note, it will give me a reason not to argue with Joss and his sidekick Calum!

Also, on yeat another positive note, it will give me a reason not to argue with Joss and his sidekick Calum!

Downside is, if it happens, will find Joel winding me up about Rodwell going to Utd lol

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

We finished with a 1-1 against Bohemians too. Tougher than Moyes expected, but good workout for Arteta, who may now be in the lineup for the match against QPR. Rodwell was back to his usual self last night too being the best player on the pitch. Looks like the Spurs postponment may be a blessing in disguise.

---------- Post added 17/08/2011 at 01:05 AM ---------- Previous post was 16/08/2011 at 11:11 AM ----------

Happy Birthday Jags. Please Stay!!

Much :wub:

Hope Saha starts on Saturday, A fit Saha would get in any PL team IMO

But you has no monies.

We'll give you some, it's cool.

Erm. Just as, you know, a deposit - can we have Baines and Jagielka?

We CAN? Aw, shucks. You're too kind. Kthanksbye.

good god. Thought Joel was just as bad with the Rodwell situation lol

HEY! Calum is not my side-kick.

(look at me I use gaps because I wish to do the equivalent of a beat panel)

He's my *****.

He's your son, Joss, just admit it.

---------- Post added at 01:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 AM ----------

good god. Thought Joel was just as bad with the Rodwell situation lol

I know it's hard to imagine, but Joss is an even more gigantic **** than Joel is. *shivers*

Jags, I wish you the best of lucks, regardless of your choice, for your birthday. You've earned it.

Hypothetical question, Joss and Ajt how would you guys feel if Arsenal were to make a 40m double swoop for Baines and Jags?

Back