The Everton Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 346K
A £40 mil double swoop? I kinda think that deal favours Everton.

Hypothetical question, Joss and Ajt how would you guys feel if Arsenal were to make a 40m double swoop for Baines and Jags?

Erm.....honestly.....that would be a nightmare scenario. There are rumours abound on Everton forums that a total bid £37 million is being lined up for them both. The money would be very much well used. but at this point of the transfer window, finding a quality replacement would be difficult (especially after losing our top scout to Chelsea) it would be a tremondous blow to the team. But they would without a shadow of a doubt, strenghten Arsenal immensely, from Jags' prowess at CB, to Baines set-piece taking bombing down the pitch, whipping in the crosses. But devestating to the Everton.
And there's also the question of how much of the transfer money would be chewed up by the debts. So in all honestly (imo), it would be like ripping the heart out of the defence and maybe the club

Jags... I'd be willing to let go. We've got a few players who can play there, and he's earned himself a shot at the CL. He's also 29 - it's his last chance. Baines has earned it, but we don't have much depth there and he's also young, he can play in the CL some time in the future. Plus, it'd mean he's going for 20m... The "second-best" (Soon to be the best :P) English LB around for 20m? He's worth more than that. In other words, over my dead-*******-body.

Agree with Athe~ btw-I did mention that Jagielka has definately earned the right to play CL football before on another thread. Wouldn't make it any less painful though. And I already think Baines is best LB in the premiership. Might sound bias, but Cole has had his time. There's an incredibly small difference between them-if any

SSN reporting leicester have made a bid of around 2.5m for Beckford. Tough decision for moyes there

Can't see it happening tbh. Why would Beckford want to drop down a division, when his form started to pick up 2nd half of the season last time? And I wouldn't be happy either-we need strikers desperately, and I feel Beckford has something to offer. Can see it being rejected.

On the Beckford situation.

Beckford plans Everton stay | Sky Sports | Football | Premier League | News

Looks like he's staying, can't blame him.

In regards to that 40 mill bid scenario, that would be tough! 40 million to a club like Everton is like finding a Unicorn having *** with a Leprechaun on top of a pot of gold, so it would be very hard to not take it seriously.

Would be non-sensical for him to drop a division. Just needs to get his head down and keep working hard.

Clubs would find it very hard to get Baines though. One of the big German clubs were after him a while back, and it was flat out rejected straight away. But like you pretty much said though-money talks

Can't see it happening tbh. Why would Beckford want to drop down a division, when his form started to pick up 2nd half of the season last time? And I wouldn't be happy either-we need strikers desperately, and I feel Beckford has something to offer. Can see it being rejected.

True, some papers also reporting the yobo to fenerbache deal could be back on and they said it could provide a few loan signings from the money. Can't really see who we woould loan tbh unless it would be donovan again which is unlikely.

True, some papers also reporting the yobo to fenerbache deal could be back on and they said it could provide a few loan signings from the money. Can't really see who we woould loan tbh unless it would be donovan again which is unlikely.

Yeah read about that couple days ago. Once that goes through, and if Yakubu does leave aswell, I can Moyes rejecting advances for Jagielka as we'll have some money reducing the need to sell one of our best players.

Yeah read about that couple days ago. Once that goes through, and if Yakubu does leave aswell, I can Moyes rejecting advances for Jagielka as we'll have some money reducing the need to sell one of our best players.
Yeah, we have the money from pienaar (3m) and vaughan (2m) already gone unspent, if we get 3 for yobo and a similar figure for yak, there is 10m which is going to be swallowed up by the bank presumably.

Donovan is too old now to sign for us permanently as much as id love it too happen, what a hero and legend he was. I had the privilege of seeing him play for us on his final game and the energy in the stadium was clear for all to see. Id sell Yobo, we wanted 5m for him but id settle for 3, get Onuhua on loan then to replace him.

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

Yeah, we have the money from pienaar (3m) and vaughan (2m) already gone unspent, if we get 3 for yobo and a similar figure for yak, there is 10m which is going to be swallowed up by the bank presumably.

Im not interested in selling Yakubu, against Liverpool lasts season, he was top class! Complete nuisance for their defence and played a big part in us winning the home game. He is really frustrating at times though, he goes down so easily which is stupid ebcause he is one of the strongest players in the league yet someone like Modric could shoulder him to the ground.

I'm just hoping that there's announcement about Jagielka this week to resolve it so we can concentrate on the season. Just makes me uncomfortable with Moyes being so quiet on the situation.

Donovan is too old now to sign for us permanently as much as id love it too happen, what a hero and legend he was. I had the privilege of seeing him play for us on his final game and the energy in the stadium was clear for all to see. Id sell Yobo, we wanted 5m for him but id settle for 3, get Onuhua on loan then to replace him.

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

Im not interested in selling Yakubu, against Liverpool lasts season, he was top class! Complete nuisance for their defence and played a big part in us winning the home game. He is really frustrating at times though, he goes down so easily which is stupid ebcause he is one of the strongest players in the league yet someone like Modric could shoulder him to the ground.

Hes just lazy tbh, when he wants to be hes brilliant but hes not often in the mood, hes too inconsistent, he will score a hatrick then not score for 3 months.

Noone ever thought of the possibility of selling Billy? He scores some great goals but apart from that hes very average, there were rumours of a swap deal with him and aiden mcgeady, that would be interesting.

I wouldn't mind selling Billy, said it before, he's got a good shot on him and sometimes he's brilliant but most of the times he's average and he's earning quite a lot for an average player. Finding a buyer is going to be hard, though.

Hypothetical question, Joss and Ajt how would you guys feel if Arsenal were to make a 40m double swoop for Baines and Jags?

Sorry - only just seen this.

Wouldn't mind to be honest, but I think I'd rather just sign Jagielka to be honest. Obviously both superb players that would benefit us massively, but when you factor in wages etc. - a double bid for Baines and Jagielka would leave us with not very much money left to replace Cesc (which I'm convinced we'll do, even if it's not a "marquee" signing).

Also I quite like Everton - wouldn't want to see them in the Championship ;)

I wouldn't mind selling Billy, said it before, he's got a good shot on him and sometimes he's brilliant but most of the times he's average and he's earning quite a lot for an average player. Finding a buyer is going to be hard, though.

I would seriously consider it. He is one of my favorite players at the club but he just aint suited to the physical demands of the PL. But i do think we are playing him out of position, he has said himself he is best suited as an AM just behind the striker (where Cahill plays) yet we continually play him winger and winger only.

Hes just lazy tbh, when he wants to be hes brilliant but hes not often in the mood, hes too inconsistent, he will score a hatrick then not score for 3 months.

Noone ever thought of the possibility of selling Billy? He scores some great goals but apart from that hes very average, there were rumours of a swap deal with him and aiden mcgeady, that would be interesting.

That would be devastating. McGeady is nowhere near good enough for us, it would be a step backwards. Don't rate him at all, even at Celtic i thought he was a good player in a poor team. Plus his attitude sucks.

I'm just hoping that there's announcement about Jagielka this week to resolve it so we can concentrate on the season. Just makes me uncomfortable with Moyes being so quiet on the situation.

Exactly. We dont want another Lescott situation where the team is unsettled, although that doesn't appear to be the case judging by the player interviews. I think most players realize this is their last chance (Arteta, Cahill, Distin, Osman etc) at getting into the Champs League in their career. As much as i doubt we could challenge for 4th, we have a lot of determination this season for that reason.

This will be a make or break season for us, thats the best way to describe it.

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

Everton target Spurs winger Kranjcar and Belgian striker Benteke - Football Hotline - Football - Sport - People.co.uk

According to this article, both Scott Parker and Matthew Upson snubbed Everton last week. Don't know if their is any truth in it, but that is depressing to see we can't convince players from the Championship to sign.

I would seriously consider it. He is one of my favorite players at the club but he just aint suited to the physical demands of the PL. But i do think we are playing him out of position, he has said himself he is best suited as an AM just behind the striker (where Cahill plays) yet we continually play him winger and winger only.

That would be devastating. McGeady is nowhere near good enough for us, it would be a step backwards. Don't rate him at all, even at Celtic i thought he was a good player in a poor team. Plus his attitude sucks.

Exactly. We dont want another Lescott situation where the team is unsettled, although that doesn't appear to be the case judging by the player interviews. I think most players realize this is their last chance (Arteta, Cahill, Distin, Osman etc) at getting into the Champs League in their career. As much as i doubt we could challenge for 4th, we have a lot of determination this season for that reason.

This will be a make or break season for us, thats the best way to describe it.

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

Everton target Spurs winger Kranjcar and Belgian striker Benteke - Football Hotline - Football - Sport - People.co.uk

According to this article, both Scott Parker and Matthew Upson snubbed Everton last week. Don't know if their is any truth in it, but that is depressing to see we can't convince players from the Championship to sign.

Tbh don't think we need Parker. Have Fellaini, Cahill, Rodwell, Arteta, Billy, Heitinga can play DM as well as can Neville. It's the striker position thats needs sorting for me-just in case Saha gets injured. Beckford has shown he can do it, but he needs bit more consistency. His temprament does concern me at times as well. And I definately remember reading Parker was more than happy to stay at West Ham now aswell.

Tbh don't think we need Parker. Have Fellaini, Cahill, Rodwell, Arteta, Billy, Heitinga can play DM as well as can Neville. It's the striker position thats needs sorting for me-just in case Saha gets injured. Beckford has shown he can do it, but he needs bit more consistency. His temprament does concern me at times as well. And I definately remember reading Parker was more than happy to stay at West Ham now aswell.

I was going to mention his temperament. He seems to throw these childish strops every so often when taken off and when i seen that game him and Moyes where arguing on the touchline, i was surprised to see him in the team the next week! This kid Vellios looks sharp, but again not a 15-20 goal a season striker - yet. But as we are seeing, Moyes can no longer work his magic and bring someone cheap up from the Championship or lower leagues (Jagielka, Cahill, Arteta - and even Baines) with them al having a hefty price tag. For example, we bought Mikel Arteta for 2m about 5 years back, Anthony Pilkington transfered from Huddersfield (League 1) to QPR for 2m this season. Prices are continuing to rise which is a big problem for us.

Back