The Everton Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 346K
I know. Every season I prepare myself for feelings of dread and despair (like Arteta for example), but this one is pretty dam funky indeed. And with players like Barkley and Duffy pushing through, it's definately a season filled with optomism. I can see a table in ths order come the end of it (yup, I'm that confident):

1) Man City
2) Man Utd
3) Chelsea
4) Arsenal
5) Everton

It's definately a very real possiblity imo

I love the pre season. A time when every fan up and down the country is filled with groundless optimism that maybe this could be their year, before the season starts and it all comes crashing down around us ;)

Anyway interesting to see Drenthe leaving. From what I saw of him last season, which admittedly was fairly little, he looked quite dangerous- the sort of player who may be able to change a game off the bench, at least as a different option. Then there was the whole racism thing, the outcome of which I never did find out.

What was your opinion of him ajt and athe~? Was he really not good enough to at least keep around.

I love the pre season. A time when every fan up and down the country is filled with groundless optimism that maybe this could be their year, before the season starts and it all comes crashing down around us ;)

Anyway interesting to see Drenthe leaving. From what I saw of him last season, which admittedly was fairly little, he looked quite dangerous- the sort of player who may be able to change a game off the bench, at least as a different option. Then there was the whole racism thing, the outcome of which I never did find out.

What was your opinion of him ajt and athe~? Was he really not good enough to at least keep around.

He seemed to be really good at times-but more often was okay and had a tendency to go down too easily imo. And his off-field antics didn't help much either. Last thing we needed was a distraction, what with other high profile players creating a bad name for themselves. If he had a better temprement, he could have been a very useful addition. I'd take Pienaar over Drenthe to be honest-and Osman played much better and at a more consistent level too. Better without

In all honesty I liked Drenthe, he had pace, energy, workrate and flair, and often provided a breath of fresh air from the bench. On the not-so-bright side he did go down easily - or just dive - and some times he tried to dribble one player too many or tried a pass that was beyond his capabilities and ended up losing the ball. But he really bottled it with his off-field issues - he was practically dead to Moyes after that. You don't mess with the boss and live to tell the tale.

E verton defender Tony Hibbert is proud to have played for the Toffees for his entire playing career. The 31-year-old is set to mark a decade as an Everton player and will commence the 2012/13 season with a clash against AEK Athens at Goodison Park on Wednesday. Hibbert is delighted with his milestone achievement and is looking forward to playing many more years with Everton.

"It's just normal," he said when asked about the significance of his lengthy stay. "I've been here since I was 10 or 11, so Everton is just Everton to me. It's a big part of my life and it always will be. My family always say 'Everton's first'. Every single day is Everton. Coming here and spending every day here is nothing different to me so it's hard to explain and get across how it is for me. To be a part of a club for that long, when I sit down and think about it with my family and go through it, it's unbelievable and I can't say any more really. To be here playing for that long, 10 years, really is a blessing for me."

(SkySports.com)

What a guy. Just a real shame he's not had some sort of winners medal yet. And there's times he should have got some international games under his belt. To finish with nothing to show but would be an absolute shame. Either way it's great to have such a committed player who has never had any problems off the pitch. Just lets the football do the talking.

I see the papers doing their usual rounds of us selling more players. See them writing about Heitinga to Fenerbache, surely that's as dead a deal as they come considering they just signed Yobo.
And on the case of Yobo, he was a great player for us. I remember the season he partnered Jags at the back and Lescott played out left, we were incredible that year.. think we finished 5th a few points adrift of Arsenal. Although he was suspect to making a mistake or two so im glad we're now shipping him on.

I'm not convinced with Naismith still. I'm not sure he will have the same joy Jelavic had upon arrival, but hopefully he cna prove me wrong. If we can keep Baines, then him and Pienaar will be electric once again down the left. I'm still worried about the right wing berth. Ossie will probably get the nod but he lacks pace and it is not his natural position. I'd much rather see him play the Tim Cahill role, think he could excel there. Hoping Barkley gets a few more games this season and praying to god Rodwell can stay relativley injury free and start progressing into the 20million player he had the potential of.

I'm excited this year, if we can sneak another striker (If Jelavic gets injured we will be left very short up top) possibly Rhodes or even Lukaku, im hearing Chelsea are planning on loaning him out to a Prem club. Also I still want another full-back. Hibbo has been a loyal servant and was a real menace against United last season, but he is suspect. Id much rather see a young fledging defender in there. Of course there is Coleman, but whether he will be able to convert back into a full-back remains to be seen. So a striker, winger and full-back. Although I think we really lack a playmaker in the Arteta role, it would cost too much to bring in someone who could really add to the team. It's hard to believe just 2-3 years ago, Joao Moutinho wanted to join us and we had a 13million bid rejected for him, crazy! Instead we opted to sign Felli, which turned out to be a fantastic signing.

I'm going to stay optimistic and hope for a 5th place finish. I believe Spuds could struggle, especially if they don't sort out the Modric situation and sign a new striker. Newcastle, well let's see how they fair second time around. I have a feeling Ba and Cisse won't have the same joy as they experienced last year. And onto Liverpool, well, without really strengthening the squad I can't see them being our main concern.

Steven Naismith gets a hat-trick against AEK Athens last night. Always had high hopes for him and looking good so far. Hibbo also gets his first goal for Everton. Take a bow son

I see the papers doing their usual rounds of us selling more players. See them writing about Heitinga to Fenerbache, surely that's as dead a deal as they come considering they just signed Yobo.
And on the case of Yobo, he was a great player for us. I remember the season he partnered Jags at the back and Lescott played out left, we were incredible that year.. think we finished 5th a few points adrift of Arsenal. Although he was suspect to making a mistake or two so im glad we're now shipping him on.

I'm not convinced with Naismith still. I'm not sure he will have the same joy Jelavic had upon arrival, but hopefully he cna prove me wrong. If we can keep Baines, then him and Pienaar will be electric once again down the left. I'm still worried about the right wing berth. Ossie will probably get the nod but he lacks pace and it is not his natural position. I'd much rather see him play the Tim Cahill role, think he could excel there. Hoping Barkley gets a few more games this season and praying to god Rodwell can stay relativley injury free and start progressing into the 20million player he had the potential of.

I'm excited this year, if we can sneak another striker (If Jelavic gets injured we will be left very short up top) possibly Rhodes or even Lukaku, im hearing Chelsea are planning on loaning him out to a Prem club. Also I still want another full-back. Hibbo has been a loyal servant and was a real menace against United last season, but he is suspect. Id much rather see a young fledging defender in there. Of course there is Coleman, but whether he will be able to convert back into a full-back remains to be seen. So a striker, winger and full-back. Although I think we really lack a playmaker in the Arteta role, it would cost too much to bring in someone who could really add to the team. It's hard to believe just 2-3 years ago, Joao Moutinho wanted to join us and we had a 13million bid rejected for him, crazy! Instead we opted to sign Felli, which turned out to be a fantastic signing.

I'm going to stay optimistic and hope for a 5th place finish. I believe Spuds could struggle, especially if they don't sort out the Modric situation and sign a new striker. Newcastle, well let's see how they fair second time around. I have a feeling Ba and Cisse won't have the same joy as they experienced last year. And onto Liverpool, well, without really strengthening the squad I can't see them being our main concern.

All three clubs are in much better shape than you. Spurs wont struggle re modric, as they have already signed Sig, and Modric will do what he did last year and get on with it anyway. Newcastle havent lost any players, and have signed, and still are a better side overall. Liverpool's biggest coup is the arrival of Rodgers, also they have signed Borini, and look good to sign Allen. all three are better bets than Everton for 5th.

All three clubs are in much better shape than you. Spurs wont struggle re modric, as they have already signed Sig, and Modric will do what he did last year and get on with it anyway. Newcastle havent lost any players, and have signed, and still are a better side overall. Liverpool's biggest coup is the arrival of Rodgers, also they have signed Borini, and look good to sign Allen. all three are better bets than Everton for 5th.

To be honest, I've actually retracted my statement about finishing 5th. Not because I'm not as confident-it's simply because of the strength of the league, and it's just become nigh on impossible to predict what's going to happen-like last season and the season before. I'm just going to wait and see. Either way I do predict another belter of a season. Hopefully exploding with a bang against Utd-especially after last season

Equally, however, Everton are the only side with any real continuity other than Newcastle. Villas-Boas is under huge pressure, arguably even more so than Chelsea, as if he fails at Spurs his hopes of securing a top-flight job any time soon takes a huge blow. Rodgers, too, is under pressure, not only to try and replicate his tiki-taka with a side unused to it but also to prove he isn't a one-season wonder.

Spurs still lack the most precious commodity in football, a proven goalscorer. A bit of wheeling and dealing from 'Arry brought in Adebayor who put in a sterling effort, but now he's back at City, leaving an inconsistent Jermain Defoe as Spurs' only recognised striker. There are other bits, too: Brad Friedel has been brilliant for over a decade and a half now, but he can only go on so long. Ledley King has retired, Michael Dawson is still sidelined, William Gallas is ageing fast and Sebastian Bassong struggled for Wolves last year, leaving a depleted defence. The wings ain't looking too rosy either, with Bale and Lennon short of backups and not exactly typical Villas-Boas wide men as it is.

Then take Liverpool. They may have solved their problem of goals up front with the addition of Fabio Borini - perhaps - and welcomed Lucas back into the fold, but there are still gaps, particularly on the flanks. With Bellamy off to Cardiff, Stewart Downing hilariously incompetent and the likes of Suso, Sterling and Pacheco too young to take on a starting role, it may come down to the mildly terrifying prospect of starting Joe Cole or Jordan Henderson on the right. Most importantly of all, though, is that Liverpool's ever-present Plan B, Steven Gerrard, can no longer be relied upon to pull a matchwinning performance out of his **** on demand. In fact, with his injury troubles, often it's all he can do to get on the pitch.

Finally, Newcastle, who look the strongest of the three so far mentioned. They have a wonderful spine up the pitch: Krul, Coloccini, Tiote, Cabaye and the Demba-Demba duo is as good as any in the Prem. The problem is the flanks: their full-backs leave a lot to be desired, Hatem Ben Arfa is talented but drifts in and out of games, and Jonas is a bustler rather than a magician. The other centre-back slot is far from nailed down, too, with Steven Taylor occasionally looking shaky. The worst bit, however, is easily the backup to the first teamers, or rather lack of it. The likes of Williamson and Perch are just not up to scratch. It could be a tricky season for Newcastle with all that pressure from last year on them.

And finally, Everton. A settled - albeit small - squad, the return of Steven Pienaar, immensely talented youngsters and a pretty even spread of talent throughout the team, the only real weak spot seems to be at right midfield, where Seamus Coleman can step up if necessary. Most of all though, Everton have the best manager of the lot, and Moyes has shown again and again he can produce the goods. With a buildup to the season incredibly smooth for once, perhaps Everton can actually get off to a good start this time round. If they can, then they're a match for anyone, and 5th is a very real possibility.

Also be interesting to see which of the other clubs remain consistent. Our season could be defined by some unexpected cockups by others, and not just our own performances.

Still a Everton fan.

Az4WkTlCEAAwnyh.jpg

Mate, I do remember very fondly that last year you argued with me that Stewart Downing would be a fantastic signing for Liverpool.

We battered Newcastle last game of the year, a 3-1 scoreline was kind to them. Of course that was just one game, but it filled me with confidence that we could do it again. For Liverpool to pile your faith on an unproven, yes unproven manager is concerning. Rodgers was sacked by Reading and beforehand he managed Watford. If Liverpool aren't in the top 5 or 6 from the start, the fans will be calling for his head before Christmas.

Although as I said, I was being optimistic to hope for a 5th place finish, it's certainly not beyond out reach. A good start to the season and who knows what could happen. Also looks like im set to be proven wrong by Naismith following his home debut hat-trick. Not bad, even for a friendly.

Mate, I do remember very fondly that last year you argued with me that Stewart Downing would be a fantastic signing for Liverpool.

We battered Newcastle last game of the year, a 3-1 scoreline was kind to them. Of course that was just one game, but it filled me with confidence that we could do it again. For Liverpool to pile your faith on an unproven, yes unproven manager is concerning. Rodgers was sacked by Reading and beforehand he managed Watford. If Liverpool aren't in the top 5 or 6 from the start, the fans will be calling for his head before Christmas.

Although as I said, I was being optimistic to hope for a 5th place finish, it's certainly not beyond out reach. A good start to the season and who knows what could happen. Also looks like im set to be proven wrong by Naismith following his home debut hat-trick. Not bad, even for a friendly.

Yep, whats your point about downing? He should have been a very good signing, neither he or the club hit what they should have. That doesnt make what I said invalid. I could roll off a huge number of things ive been right and wrong about. Its all irrelevant to this discusson.

You battered Newcastle, what about the other 37 games?

If you are using Naismith as valid point, you should look at Liverpools game tonight, they were excellent. Of course one wouldnt try and draw much from one everton friendly or one euro game as a point to the whole season. Everton need to start well if they want to get near 5th, something that they havent done in a lot time, that fairly makes them outside shots for 5th looking back.

I never said they couldnt make 5th, but on the balance they look like outside shots.

Last edited:
Yep, whats your point about downing? He should have been a very good signing, neither he or the club hit what they should have. That doesnt make what I said invalid. I could roll off a huge number of things ive been right and wrong about. Its all irrelevant to this discusson.

You battered Newcastle, what about the other 37 games?

If you are using Naismith as valid point, you should look at Liverpools game tonight, they were excellent. Of course one wouldnt try and draw much from one everton friendly or one euro game as a point to the whole season. Everton need to start well if they want to get near 5th, something that they havent done in a lot time, that fairly makes them outside shots for 5th looking back.

I never said they couldnt make 5th, but on the balance they look like outside shots.

I was just stating that before you go off again and badger me about how you're right with some bizarre stats, respect other people's opinions.

Again I was stating we outplayed Newcastle on the final game of the season, nothing about the rest of the season. Obviously we weren't good enough to challenge them at all during the earlier parts, however that match gave me great optimism for this year.

Of course you can't look into friendlies too much but to score a hat-trick in 30 minutes, regardless of the occasion is a pretty neat achievement. That said, we were horrific against Blackpool in a friendly.

The last time we had a good start we finished fourth. That seems abit too far out of our reach for this year, we're far from bridging that gap. Although I am hopeful that we can put our slow start of season syndrome away and really challenge this year.

To be honest, I've actually retracted my statement about finishing 5th. Not because I'm not as confident-it's simply because of the strength of the league, and it's just become nigh on impossible to predict what's going to happen-like last season and the season before. I'm just going to wait and see. Either way I do predict another belter of a season. Hopefully exploding with a bang against Utd-especially after last season

Everton are capable. On their day, frankly they are a menace, but they haveny started well in some time. And if they want to harbour any realistic hopes of 5th, they must hit the ground running, their season cannot start in february like it always has in recent times. Liverpool are in better hands in Rodgers (lets me honest Dalglish was out of his depth), though they will need every player to buy into the system, and probably a couple more purchases. Spurs need a striker, but the rest of the side is very strong, with a very capable new manager. This is a side that would have been playing CL but for the newish rule. And their transfer work isnt done.

Newcastle havent lost players and have strengthened. Whether they are a one season wonder remains to be seen, but I think its very harsh for people to arbitrarily say they will be worse, or their players will be worse based on very little. All this requires Everton to play more consistently than they have done in about 4 years.

I was just stating that before you go off again and badger me about how you're right with some bizarre stats, respect other people's opinions.

Again I was stating we outplayed Newcastle on the final game of the season, nothing about the rest of the season. Obviously we weren't good enough to challenge them at all during the earlier parts, however that match gave me great optimism for this year.

Of course you can't look into friendlies too much but to score a hat-trick in 30 minutes, regardless of the occasion is a pretty neat achievement. That said, we were horrific against Blackpool in a friendly.

The last time we had a good start we finished fourth. That seems abit too far out of our reach for this year, we're far from bridging that gap. Although I am hopeful that we can put our slow start of season syndrome away and really challenge this year.

I haven't badgered you so I don't know what you are on about, nor did I say i was right or use stats? Where have i disrespected your opinion? Opinions are not sacrosanct, If you don't like them being challenged, don't be on a football forum.

You cant pick one game to give you optimism for a whole season. The very issue with Everton is the fact in on their day they can beat anyone, but that they are non consistent enough.

I haven't badgered you so I don't know what you are on about, nor did I say i was right or use stats? Where have i disrespected your opinion? Opinions are not sacrosanct, If you don't like them being challenged, don't be on a football forum.

You cant pick one game to give you optimism for a whole season. The very issue with Everton is the fact in on their day they can beat anyone, but that they are non consistent enough.

I can handle my opinions being challenged, in fact I like it. Last year when we discussed Stewart Downing you sent some stats about how he is the best crosser and will be a great signing. You made it quite clear, that I was wrong in thinking they paid over-the-top money for him.

Obviously. The match gave me hope we could beat Newcastle this year, or season post-January always gives me hope that we can replicate it the next season, although praying we can do it before the turn of the year.
We can, all teams see that. The problem with Everton is we seem to only be pumped up for a fight against he big guns (Utd, City, Chelsea etc) and always fall to the lesser teams with a poor performance. We need to start treating every game like a final, not just the big ones.

Everton are capable. On their day, frankly they are a menace, but they haveny started well in some time. And if they want to harbour any realistic hopes of 5th, they must hit the ground running, their season cannot start in february like it always has in recent times. Liverpool are in better hands in Rodgers (lets me honest Dalglish was out of his depth), though they will need every player to buy into the system, and probably a couple more purchases. Spurs need a striker, but the rest of the side is very strong, with a very capable new manager. This is a side that would have been playing CL but for the newish rule. And their transfer work isnt done.

Newcastle havent lost players and have strengthened. Whether they are a one season wonder remains to be seen, but I think its very harsh for people to arbitrarily say they will be worse, or their players will be worse based on very little. All this requires Everton to play more consistently than they have done in about 4 years.

Agree about Newcastle. Okay they don't have very good players..someone like Perch for example, but by god they're loaded with talent and are more than capable of inflicting major damage. Rodgers will definately improve Liverpool. I enjoyed watching Swansea upon their arrival so I expec some nice stuff from Liverpool-the players are more than capable of it. As for us, it's pretty much like I mentioned before. We simply MUST have a quick start. Another snails pace start and we will struggle badly to make up the ground.

It's reached a point now in the Premier League, where one mistake by a player, or a slow start, can break a clubsseason. And unfortunately, if we have another slow start, guess who'll cop the flack from the Moyes haters? And that'll have more serious consequences, as they'll love nothing more than to see him shown the door-which is absolutely ridiculous beyond comprehension.

But at the same time, other teams around us will be desperately seeking consistency which will heap just as much pressure on themselves, which can play into our hands. And we the good thing is-we're not a one man team, as the goalscores showed last season. Everyone is prepared to step up for the cause. But if we did finish 5th I'd be going on the mother of all pub crawls and thats for sure.

I suspect this year will be another one of "those" Premier League seasons. Which makes me wonder if stopping smoking now (again!) was such a good idea XD

Last edited:
I can handle my opinions being challenged, in fact I like it. Last year when we discussed Stewart Downing you sent some stats about how he is the best crosser and will be a great signing. You made it quite clear, that I was wrong in thinking they paid over-the-top money for him.

Obviously. The match gave me hope we could beat Newcastle this year, or season post-January always gives me hope that we can replicate it the next season, although praying we can do it before the turn of the year.
We can, all teams see that. The problem with Everton is we seem to only be pumped up for a fight against he big guns (Utd, City, Chelsea etc) and always fall to the lesser teams with a poor performance. We need to start treating every game like a final, not just the big ones.

He was the best crosser, facts borne out by the statistics. As a fact that cannot be argued. I didn't say you were wrong, I argued statisically why he why he would very good signing considering the way Liverpool wanted to play, all things being equal I never guaranteed he would be a success. You didnt actually back up why you thought he would be bad. The fact that he and Liverpool then played like a sack of ***** does not change those statistics, although he did actually create 50 chances, none of which were converted by his forwards. But it's very easy for you to argue in hindsight, as opposed to last year when you only had previous performances and stats, none of which were in your favour. Although none of this relates to everton, so its moot.

Last edited:
Back