The Everton Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 346K
Agree about Newcastle. Okay they don't have very good players..someone like Perch for example, but by god they're loaded with talent and are more than capable of inflicting major damage. Rodgers will definately improve Liverpool. I enjoyed watching Swansea upon their arrival so I expec some nice stuff from Liverpool-the players are more than capable of it. As for us, it's pretty much like I mentioned before. We simply MUST have a quick start. Another snails pace start and we will struggle badly to make up the ground.

It's reached a point now in the Premier League, where one mistake by a player, or a slow start, can break a clubsseason. And unfortunately, if we have another slow start, guess who'll cop the flack from the Moyes haters? And that'll have more serious consequences, as they'll love nothing more than to see him shown the door-which is absolutely ridiculous beyond comprehension.

But at the same time, other teams around us will be desperately seeking consistency which will heap just as much pressure on themselves, which can play into our hands. And we the good thing is-we're not a one man team, as the goalscores showed last season. Everyone is prepared to step up for the cause. But if we did finish 5th I'd be going on the mother of all pub crawls and thats for sure.

I suspect this year will be another one of "those" Premier League seasons. Which makes me wonder if stopping smoking now (again!) was such a good idea XD

Agreed, its all about the fast start, thats why I say Everton are at a disadvantage here, traditionally very slow starters. First 8-10 games will give us a better idea.

Agreed, its all about the fast start, thats why I say Everton are at a disadvantage here, traditionally very slow starters. First 8-10 games will give us a better idea.

Well, unfortunately have to sweat it out til next weekend to see what happens-which i absolutely hate lol. And it's now imperative we fend off any more bids for Leighton too. If another bid came in, and we accepted, it would be absolutely catastrophic for our season. But the way it looks right now he's set to stay. Kenwright may have been criticized for a lot of things, but he got it spot on this time round by recognising his importance. But we have a fully fit squad, and each player is rearing to go. So excuses shouldn't be needed this time round.

Won't stop me being nervous toward the end of the window though lol. For obvious reasons

Well, unfortunately have to sweat it out til next weekend to see what happens-which i absolutely hate lol. And it's now imperative we fend off any more bids for Leighton too. If another bid came in, and we accepted, it would be absolutely catastrophic for our season. But the way it looks right now he's set to stay. Kenwright may have been criticized for a lot of things, but he got it spot on this time round by recognising his importance. But we have a fully fit squad, and each player is rearing to go. So excuses shouldn't be needed this time round.

Won't stop me being nervous toward the end of the window though lol. For obvious reasons

Fairly sure you have fended off Manchester United now, so I guess he is safe. We dont seem to be doing any gamesmanship with you lot, at the board level relations seem to be very good. So I expect him to stay, annoyingly.

Hibbo's first goal for the club courtesy of a bullet free kick. And a catalyst...for the Hibbo riots

[video=youtube;FoqqtPhCPY0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoqqtPhCPY0[/video]

Fair play to the AEK fans too. Seen the footage and created a great atmosphere and never stopped singing. Fair play to them

Equally, however, Everton are the only side with any real continuity other than Newcastle. Villas-Boas is under huge pressure, arguably even more so than Chelsea, as if he fails at Spurs his hopes of securing a top-flight job any time soon takes a huge blow. Rodgers, too, is under pressure, not only to try and replicate his tiki-taka with a side unused to it but also to prove he isn't a one-season wonder.

Spurs still lack the most precious commodity in football, a proven goalscorer. A bit of wheeling and dealing from 'Arry brought in Adebayor who put in a sterling effort, but now he's back at City, leaving an inconsistent Jermain Defoe as Spurs' only recognised striker. There are other bits, too: Brad Friedel has been brilliant for over a decade and a half now, but he can only go on so long. Ledley King has retired, Michael Dawson is still sidelined, William Gallas is ageing fast and Sebastian Bassong struggled for Wolves last year, leaving a depleted defence. The wings ain't looking too rosy either, with Bale and Lennon short of backups and not exactly typical Villas-Boas wide men as it is.

Then take Liverpool. They may have solved their problem of goals up front with the addition of Fabio Borini - perhaps - and welcomed Lucas back into the fold, but there are still gaps, particularly on the flanks. With Bellamy off to Cardiff, Stewart Downing hilariously incompetent and the likes of Suso, Sterling and Pacheco too young to take on a starting role, it may come down to the mildly terrifying prospect of starting Joe Cole or Jordan Henderson on the right. Most importantly of all, though, is that Liverpool's ever-present Plan B, Steven Gerrard, can no longer be relied upon to pull a matchwinning performance out of his **** on demand. In fact, with his injury troubles, often it's all he can do to get on the pitch.

Finally, Newcastle, who look the strongest of the three so far mentioned. They have a wonderful spine up the pitch: Krul, Coloccini, Tiote, Cabaye and the Demba-Demba duo is as good as any in the Prem. The problem is the flanks: their full-backs leave a lot to be desired, Hatem Ben Arfa is talented but drifts in and out of games, and Jonas is a bustler rather than a magician. The other centre-back slot is far from nailed down, too, with Steven Taylor occasionally looking shaky. The worst bit, however, is easily the backup to the first teamers, or rather lack of it. The likes of Williamson and Perch are just not up to scratch. It could be a tricky season for Newcastle with all that pressure from last year on them.

And finally, Everton. A settled - albeit small - squad, the return of Steven Pienaar, immensely talented youngsters and a pretty even spread of talent throughout the team, the only real weak spot seems to be at right midfield, where Seamus Coleman can step up if necessary. Most of all though, Everton have the best manager of the lot, and Moyes has shown again and again he can produce the goods. With a buildup to the season incredibly smooth for once, perhaps Everton can actually get off to a good start this time round. If they can, then they're a match for anyone, and 5th is a very real possibility.

Agree with a lot of this, but Everton's problem is a paper thin squad and a lack of pace in forward positions. A lot rests on Naismith and Jelavic striking some form, and apart from Pienaar their isn't a great amount of creativity. Of course they have many strengths as well, but I think 5th is beyond them.

Ahhhh it's that time of year, with the pre-season injuries. Gibbo now has a torn thigh muscle. Sigh....that is all

Rodwell on City's radar | Manchester City News, Fixtures, Results, Transfers | Sky Sports

Bit of a strange one. Rodwell has undoubted potential but has struggled to play consecutive games for quite some time due to injuries. Saying that, if a bit in upwards of 15m came in for him, it would be hard to say no. It would give us the money to buy a quality winger.

Although the prospect of Rodwell, Fellaini and Barkley playing together in midfield sounds very promising.

Rodwell has had a series of niggles which has so far proven to be a roadblock for his development. It will certainly be interesting to see how much he improves playing alongside better players at City or if he becomes lost in the myriad of superstars they have

Rodwell has had a series of niggles which has so far proven to be a roadblock for his development. It will certainly be interesting to see how much he improves playing alongside better players at City or if he becomes lost in the myriad of superstars they have

Just hoping to god it's not going to be another Johnson situation. He's got far too much to offer to be wasted-as demonstrated when he shut down Silva last time. It's the dressing room I'm concerned about too. It's hardly the most settled shall we say

Just hoping to god it's not going to be another Johnson situation. He's got far too much to offer to be wasted-as demonstrated when he shut down Silva last time. It's the dressing room I'm concerned about too. It's hardly the most settled shall we say

Think he is moving far too soon to a club like City where expectations are always high and the spotlight is always on its players

Felt he should have stayed at Everton under Moyes, concentrated on getting a good injury-free season under his belt before contemplating a move. Although you can also say that at City his development will be accelerated playing alongside some of the finest players in the world. We will have to see

Think he is moving far too soon to a club like City where expectations are always high and the spotlight is always on its players

Felt he should have stayed at Everton under Moyes, concentrated on getting a good injury-free season under his belt before contemplating a move. Although you can also say that at City his development will be accelerated playing alongside some of the finest players in the world. We will have to see

Also wonder if it will fuel the rumours about De Jong moving on. Still think City should've concentrated on getting a CB instead as I think they need cover. i just dread the day he scores against us. The nightmare scenario for any fan lol

Also wonder if it will fuel the rumours about De Jong moving on. Still think City should've concentrated on getting a CB instead as I think they need cover. i just dread the day he scores against us. The nightmare scenario for any fan lol

Savic is poor. He needs a loan to another League or something. Not really City standard yet

I heard De Jong was being linked with Bayern Munich if I am not wrong.. Still Mancini has been ballistic about the lack of movement in the transfer market. As surprising as it sounds, Rodwell is the first player they have signed all summer.

Rodwell is a talented player no doubt; if Mancini manages to ensure he remains injury-free and gives him enough games to continue his development. City have a gem of a player in their hands

On the plus side for Everton, this gives a chance for Barkley to step up

Inter are the favourites to sign De Jong, I don't think Bayern are interested.

im gutted every ****** decent player we get kenwright floggs em ,, whats the point in barkley stepping up so we can sell him to gutted:@

Manchester City have confirmed the signing of Jack Rodwell from Everton on a five-year contract as their first new player of the summer. The Premier League champions wanted the midfielder and on Sunday it was confirmed a fee had been agreed. Rodwell's move for a reported initial price of £15million rising to £18m was announced just hours after Roberto Mancini's City defeated Chelsea in the Community Shield.

"I relish the opportunity of playing with some of the best players in the world and continuing my development," said Rodwell before heading off to meet up with the England squad for the friendly against Italy. "It will be an amazing experience to make my debut in front of them if I am selected to play next weekend. The hard work starts today as I start to help contribute to the club winning more silverware. The season has started really well with the Community Shield win."

He added: "I would like to place on record my thanks to everyone at Everton Football Club. The Manager David Moyes has been brilliant for me and helped make me the player that I am today. I have a special relationship with the chairman, Mr Kenwright, who did not want me to leave but this is too good an opportunity for me to refuse." Mancini, who had been frustrated at a lack of summer signings, had angered Everton fans after defeating Chelsea in the Community Shield by saying Rodwell was not yet ready for City's first team and that the player was now joining a club with a winning mentality.

He said: "Jack is a good player. He is young. It is the first time he is in a club that plays to win and it will be different for him. But in a couple of years I am sure he will be a top and stronger midfielder. He has good quality. Rodwell is a player that needs to improve to play in this XI but he is young and a good player for our future. We are interested in all good players. I liked him last season. For this reason, we bought him."

(Skysports.com)

But of a dickish thing of Mancini to criticise us with the "winning mentality" jab. Would be careful with what he says-last thing he wants to do is make enemies. Our club has never lacked a winning mentality. We may be not be as successful, but he can be dam sure that we've always played as a team unlike some of his players.

Good luck Jack. Hope it works out for you lad

He has to be taking the **** with the winning mentality thing. Everton are one of those teams who just scrap all game for everything. Why not just say we're fortunate to have the resources to help his deveopment, showed him this and he felt he'd like the chance to win trophies/improve at the same time. Hope he gets some game time mind you, it certainly makes them strong in the middle if he can stay fit.

He has to be taking the **** with the winning mentality thing. Everton are one of those teams who just scrap all game for everything. Why not just say we're fortunate to have the resources to help his deveopment, showed him this and he felt he'd like the chance to win trophies/improve at the same time. Hope he gets some game time mind you, it certainly makes them strong in the middle if he can stay fit.

Totally un-neccessary comment tbh. We still remember the Lescott situation well, so for him to say that is just going to increase the hate. In my opinion we'll always be the better club. We don't make smart **** comments, we don't cause trouble, we just get on playing football and doing our best as a unit. Something they seem to have only just discovered themselves.

It's just ignorant, it means his club wins things but he isn't winning over any neutrals. Yes he's fortunate to do well in his season last year, but come on, look at the resources he has! Practically infinite money! It's especially ironic for neutrals as I'm sure many share my view that Moyes would get a lot more out of the (City) squad than Mancini could ever do at Everton. I'm a bit suprised this is 12m rising to potentially 17 though. I thought Everton needed the money up front (and it isn't like it matters much for City). I realise it's performance related, but I was expecting them to draw a few extra mil out of City considerin the pile of dosh they seem to enjoy burning over there.

Back