The Everton Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 346K
Bit of a flashback moment:

Manchester United 0-3 Everton, 19 August 1992. Sunday marks the 20th anniversary of Everton's first ever Premier League meeting with the Red Devils - a memorable 3-0 win in front of a now-paltry sounding 31,901 at Old Trafford. Peter Beardsley got the Blues up and running just before half time, Robert Warzycha smashed in a stunner with 10 minutes to go and Mo Johnston capitalised on a Peter Schmeichel howler to complete a pretty much perfect afternoon.

Peter ******* Beardsley.......

Advantage Everton if rumours about Ferdinand having a leg injury are true, especially with Phil Jones, Jonny Evans and Chris Smalling already out injured. Again, if true

It's true. Smalling is out for 2 months, Jones for 1 month and Evans is not fit for the start of the season. At max we have to risk Evans. Also Vidic is playing his first competitive game in 8 months. All more reasons for us to worry.

We might even play Wootton or M.Keane with Vidic.

It's true. Smalling is out for 2 months, Jones for 1 month and Evans is not fit for the start of the season. At max we have to risk Evans. Also Vidic is playing his first competitive game in 8 months. All more reasons for us to worry.

We might even play Wootton or M.Keane with Vidic.

Hmmm. Well best get Vidic playing now rather than further down the line, where fitness would have had a bigger impact on bigger games like against City. Be a good match for him to shake off the cobwebs. I'm not sure if I would worry though tbh. Last season you had a lot of injury problems...and still played well enough to finish 2nd. If you do have problems defensively, you shouldn't struggle to put the ball in the back of the net that's for sure. Which is why I'm sticking to goalfest prediction. May have to go very attacking and try to outscore us. This could be a very entertaining attacking match from both sides.

Not been able to sleep properly because of this looking forward to it that much. It's mouthwatering

Hmmm. Well best get Vidic playing now rather than further down the line, where fitness would have had a bigger impact on bigger games like against City. Be a good match for him to shake off the cobwebs. I'm not sure if I would worry though tbh. Last season you had a lot of injury problems...and still played well enough to finish 2nd. If you do have problems defensively, you shouldn't struggle to put the ball in the back of the net that's for sure. Which is why I'm sticking to goalfest prediction. May have to go very attacking and try to outscore us. This could be a very entertaining attacking match from both sides.

Not been able to sleep properly because of this looking forward to it that much. It's mouthwatering

Yeah it's better to start him also considering the options or lack of it, we have no choice but to play Vidic. He did well in pre season but competitive games are completely different. Hopefully he is still the same CB he was.

If we are not solid at the back, whole team will be shaky just like when GK is not strong (that's what Neville said in his book). You won't see confidence oozing from the attackers as there will always be uncertainty about what will happen at the defense.

Hopefully it will be a goal fest and exciting one like our encounters against Everton are always.

I'm worried about Fellaini more than any Everton player. **** he always plays well against us. :(

Yeah it's better to start him also considering the options or lack of it, we have no choice but to play Vidic. He did well in pre season but competitive games are completely different. Hopefully he is still the same CB he was.

If we are not solid at the back, whole team will be shaky just like when GK is not strong (that's what Neville said in his book). You won't see confidence oozing from the attackers as there will always be uncertainty about what will happen at the defense.

Hopefully it will be a goal fest and exciting one like our encounters against Everton are always.

I'm worried about Fellaini more than any Everton player. **** he always plays well against us. :(

Especially the way he set up the 4th goal for Pienaar in the last match. One quick turn then bang-split second later it was in the goal. Thing is, I want this win more than anything. Not a trolling comment-but it would be the biggest f*** you to Mancini after what he said about us not being a winning team. Though hopefully it won't help them win the title again this year. After what he said I really want him to fail big time now. I hate him

Especially the way he set up the 4th goal for Pienaar in the last match. One quick turn then bang-split second later it was in the goal. Thing is, I want this win more than anything. Not a trolling comment-but it would be the biggest f*** you to Mancini after what he said about us not being a winning team. Though hopefully it won't help them win the title again this year. After what he said I really want him to fail big time now. I hate him

Lol, that Mancini words are mostly lost in translation or we know his english is not good, so he used wrong words. Probably he used championship winning team.

Give us a free ride and play out of your skin against City.. meh I'm not worried aslong as Gibson plays against City. :D

Lol, that Mancini words are mostly lost in translation or we know his english is not good, so he used wrong words. Probably he used championship winning team.

Give us a free ride and play out of your skin against City.. meh I'm not worried aslong as Gibson plays against City. :D

Tbh our record against City is pretty dam impressive-we don't fear them that much anyway. Our record speaks volumes. We've manhandled them on more than one occassion. We struggle more against Utd. More now so seeing you have an RVP/Rooney partnership. The CM may be a lightweight, but I suspect the goalscoring opportunities will plaster over that for a short while until it's rectified. Or we may be surprised and both sides have a slow start. both sides may be too eager and there'll be lots of mistakes. Who knows

Tbh our record against City is pretty dam impressive-we don't fear them that much anyway. Our record speaks volumes. We've manhandled them on more than one occassion. We struggle more against Utd. More now so seeing you have an RVP/Rooney partnership. The CM may be a lightweight, but I suspect the goalscoring opportunities will plaster over that for a short while until it's rectified. Or we may be surprised and both sides have a slow start. both sides may be too eager and there'll be lots of mistakes. Who knows

CM being lightweight is bigger issue to ignore. Only hope is teams will be on backfoot seeing Rooney-RVP starting like when they did when Ronaldo-Rooney-Tevez used to start for us.

One of the toughest away games for us. Dont remember last time when we had comfortable win with more than 1 goal. Remember 1-0 win last season but apart from that I dont think we have won there since 06-07.

Just checking back the games at Goodison from last fee years:

2006-07: Everton 2-4 ManUtd (ManUtd were 2-0 down).
2007-08: Everton 0-1 ManUtd (Vida's brilliant header)
2008-09: Everton 1-1 ManUtd (Fellaini equalized by scoring a header, still remember how he popped up between Rio and Vida to score header)
2009-10: Everton 3-1 ManUtd (after Milan away game, we were exhausted and payed the price. Outplayed)
2010-11: Everton 3-3 ManUtd (2 goals in stoppage time, Cahill and Arteta)
2011-12: Everton 0-1 ManUtd (only decent performance I can think of since 2006-07 second half).

CM being lightweight is bigger issue to ignore. Only hope is teams will be on backfoot seeing Rooney-RVP starting like when they did when Ronaldo-Rooney-Tevez used to start for us.

One of the toughest away games for us. Dont remember last time when we had comfortable win with more than 1 goal. Remember 1-0 win last season but apart from that I dont think we have won there since 06-07.

Just checking back the games at Goodison from last fee years:

2006-07: Everton 2-4 ManUtd (ManUtd were 2-0 down).
2007-08: Everton 0-1 ManUtd (Vida's brilliant header)
2008-09: Everton 1-1 ManUtd (Fellaini equalized by scoring a header, still remember how he popped up between Rio and Vida to score header)
2009-10: Everton 3-1 ManUtd (after Milan away game, we were exhausted and payed the price. Outplayed)
2010-11: Everton 3-3 ManUtd (2 goals in stoppage time, Cahill and Arteta)
2011-12: Everton 0-1 ManUtd (only decent performance I can think of since 2006-07 second half).

Not many teams...if any...have an easy ride at Goodison. But European football definately can be a hindrance.

I also think the main difference this time aswell is that our lineups are going to be a lot more attack orientated. Normally it'***** back on the counter, but this time around it's a case of attack from the off which is going to be strange to see for us. Well, I'd hope that's the case-no reason why we can't. Though I'm hoping Mr. Young doesn't perform dubious antics like last season. And I hope the same from Jelavic. Went down far too easily sometimes last season. Something I don't care to see from our players.

Not many teams...if any...have an easy ride at Goodison. But European football definately can be a hindrance.

I also think the main difference this time aswell is that our lineups are going to be a lot more attack orientated. Normally it'***** back on the counter, but this time around it's a case of attack from the off which is going to be strange to see for us. Well, I'd hope that's the case-no reason why we can't. Though I'm hoping Mr. Young doesn't perform dubious antics like last season. And I hope the same from Jelavic. Went down far too easily sometimes last season. Something I don't care to see from our players.

Not sure how it suits to play attacking football as the game Everton played suited them so well. Anyways will be interesting change, good to see Tim Cahill is not playing for Everton :D at least against us.

Not sure how it suits to play attacking football as the game Everton played suited them so well. Anyways will be interesting change, good to see Tim Cahill is not playing for Everton :D at least against us.

Well at times we became a bit one-dimensional at times. We didn't have a plan-b at times, so we had to rely on gritty determination or the old dogs of war attitude. This time round, I suspect something different-especially with Steven back permanently. Cahill may not be here but he could be next time round-he's open to a loan move don't forget ;)

wonder who will take Utd's free kicks though. Nani, Rooney or RVP? Maybe it's what the result will come down to-battle of set pieces. Either way-very intruiging.

Everton have been the better side so far tonight. Felliani has impressed pienaar and Jelavic have been quite lively too.

Was going to happen at some point. Utd are now in full control and all over us

Was going to happen at some point. Utd are now in full control and all over us

Your defence and especially Jaqielka and Hibbert have been amazing along with obvious Fellaini and really hope you will win this.

Fellaini has been immense tonight.

Few times he could have been booked though. Andre Marriner giving him plenty of chances.

Still, running the show and deserved the goal.

Fellaini is just.....a beast. Love the guy and has funky hair. Except his silly fouls lol

Week has been made. What an absolute epic performance from the defence

Well played Everton.

Great performance by Fellaini and Distin in particular, but Fellaini for MOTM.

Back