My favorite challenge so far, hopefully your terrible luck in England from FM16 wont continue and you'll climb the ranks quickly

That rotten ungrateful board! You did what you were tasked to do and kept them up, you were just making it more interesting by finishing closer to the relegation zone than you started, nobody wants a boring mid table finish all season long :p

Thanks for joining me Horton!

Thanks alot dporter, I'm just waiting for it to kick in soon!

I'm glad you agree Neavie! Some people just don't appreciate the football league being spiced up do they?

Grimsby.png

Having guided the club to safety with about as much grace as an obese ballerina, I head into my first transfer window with the Mariners, keen to turn the squad towards my style of play.

Time to impress...

Tran18-OUT_1.png

On first appearance a rather busy exit at Blundell Park but with only one two departures from the first-team it only proved to be a much needed clear out for the squad.

The only departure of real note was that of back-up stopper James McKeown. The Thirty year old was forced off the bench by the goal keeping duo of Adam Legzdins and Gregor Zabret, who both provide more then enough ability between the sticks and a tidy little bid from former Premier League side, Bournemouth soon had our third choice stopper making his way down the coast.

With a good spring cleaning and the departure of our only loanee striker, I was eager to get down to work...

Tran18-IN_1.png

Tran18-a_1.png

Cost: Free

First arrival of the window has me make quick moves to fill that gaping hole upfront as we snap up teenage striker, Charles Diallo. The former Liverpool youth lasted just three seasons with the Reds before being deemed surplus to requirements but the determined forward could well prove to be invaluable in Lincolnshire.

Tran18-b_1.png

Five years with Brighton saw Irish midfielder Dessie Hutchinson make just one first-team appearance before being shown the long-awaited door. At Twenty-Three the ball-winning midfielder might be closing in on his peak ability and his solid all round stats should bolster the clubs hopes of Football League survival.

Tran18-c_1.png

Having spent the majority of his teenage years in Fulham, Mattias Kait had no worries about the recent Brexit vote and the Estonian midfielder made the short hop across his adopted home country to slot into the Mariners first team. Another solid all round midfielder Kait will be a strong addition to our attacking midfielder line-up.

Tran18-d.png

Final arrival has me finally manage to add some much needed depth upfront as we sign Conor Wilkinson on another free transfer. The Irish striker has had a taste of League One football but will be keen to find his way back into the league as the lead finisher of a club on the brink of exiting the football league altogether.

Not exactly a squad-wide transformation but non the less, the boys are looking a darn sight better this time around...

...not entirely a hard job when you consider they didn't even have a permanent striker when i joined.

Preseason
2019/20

Pre19-z.png

13th July 2019
Friendly

Pre19-a.png

First game of the pre-season has me quickly trying to get the boys up to speed with a match against National League's Chester. Having dominated the entire first-half the boys still showed cause for concern upfront with them snatching just the one goal leaving Chester with enough hope to fight back late into the second-half.

20th July 2019
Friendly

Pre19-b.png

Second game of the season has us make our way slightly down the coast to the neighboring picturesque sea-side town, Cleethropes. Anyone that has been to Cleethorpes probably wanted to leave just as quickly as we did with a four goal whitewash courtesy of new arrival Wilkinson sending us home happy.

27th July 2019
Friendly

Pre19-c.png

Another trip into the Vanarama Leagues for a match up against Essex's finest club, Braintree. One again we struggle against our lower league opposition as we suffer a complete melt down on the half-hour mark to gift the minnows with a brace of goals before Albanian midfielder Gjuci saves our blushes with a second half equaliser.

5th August 2019
Friendly

Pre19-d.png

Final game of the pre-season has us lay down the law as we cruise past non-league AFC Rushden & Diamonds. It seems the boys are most definitley at their best when up against opposition who have yet to even break into the Vanarma Leagues. This certainly bodes well for the forth coming season...

Having once again not entirely given the Mariners faithful any form of belief...or even hope for the forth coming season, I am reduced to blaming the tactics entirely. If it's not a Christmas Tree then it's just not right!

Pre19.png

With an attacking 4-2-3-1 formation and one of the weakest defence's in the entire league, we are going to have to solely rely on outscoring our opponents and praying for the best. The "Kevin Keegan" approach to football.

With the club actual fairly comfortable financially and some vague sense of importance around the club with some actual work in the transfer window I could soon have the club towards my tried and tested 4-3-2-1 formation.

I'd definitely recommend changing the BWM to a CM (D) or something similar. The BWM runs around like a headless chicken trying to win back the ball which can leave your defence exposed, the CM (D) holds his position more. Just a suggestion :)

Still loving the story though, all of the ups and downs :)

Jack I have just released Connor from my Bolton save!! please don't show him to be a worldie!!! if he gets a value of over 500k I will kick myself.

Thanks Patrick, I will give it a try when I get the chance to change things around, although running around like a headless chicken does seem to be somewhat of a tactical trademark for my formations.

Wanderer I honestly think you have nothing to worry about! I'm more or less hoping the ball bounces off him and by some slim miracle finds it's way to goal. High hopes!

August 2019

Aug19-z.png

10th August 2019
League Two

Aug19-a.png

The season gets off much as it ended as we succumb to a narrow loss against a Leyton Orient side keen to burst into the battle for League One. Despite being well within the game for the entire first half a sloppy second saw us soon fade into the back as we make an early entrance into the bottom half of the table.

14th August 2019
EFL Cup - 1st Round

EFL19-a.png

The League Cup offers no safety as we are quickly ejected from the competition by Round One heavyweights, Sheffield Wednesday. The Owls waste little time in claiming a commanding lead, that they frustratingly held until the whistle despite a spirited fight from the Mariners.

17th August 2019
League Two

Aug19-b.png

The horrible start to the season continues as we are once again left behind by a second half solo effort with promotion favorites Notts County continuing their perfect start with a narrow but deserved victory. If we are to stand a chance of Football League survival we are going to need to sharpen up in the second half.

21st August 2019
League Two

Aug19-c.png

Finally the boys manage to find the net in the football league as they sneak past Barnet to claim a morale boosting victory. Having snatched the lead just before the break, hopes were high that the boys could see out the game until another sloppy second half ensured a dramatic finish to the game with new signing Diallo returning us to winning ways.

24th August 2019
League Two

Aug19-d.png

That return lasted all of three days as Oldham crush us with ease at Boundary Park. The former League One side seem keen to make an instant return back to the safety of the division above and following an emphatic performance and another lackluster second half the Latics look to kick-start their season following a slow start in style.

31st August 2019
League Two

Aug19-e.png

We round off the opening month with an encouraging sign of resolve from the boys as they bounce back from the disappointment in the previous game to return the favor over a sloppy Cambridge United despite going a goal down within the first quarter of an hour, a brace from former Bolton product Connor Wilkinson helping us on our way to the points.

August 2019
League Two

Aug19.png

A disappointing start to the season might have seen us rack up three losses already and make an early exit from the League Cup but non the less with two victories and six early points we might just have enough about ourselves to hopefully stay out of the relegation battle for the foreseeable future. One can only hope.

Bolton Product helping you get the three points!!! at least some Bolton players are doing something for another team as they are doing nothing for me!!Come on jack top half for XMAS you have 3 days!

Tough luck this month DJ! Hopefully you can bounce back with a couple wins

He certainly did. My assistant manager doesn't exactly rate him as highly as my scouts promised but it seems Connor actually does possess some ability! Thanks alot Wanderer!

Cheers Dan, I hope we can!

September 2019

Sep19-z.png

3rd September 2019
EFL Trophy - Group E
CT19-a.png

In what is quite possibly the most controversial and entirely pointless competition in Football League history the club announces itself to the Checkatrade Trophy elite with a painfully drawn out victory over League One's Chesterfield. With over one hundred minutes of goalless football it took a sloppy penalty shootout to decide a deserving winner.

7th September 2019
League Two

Sep19-a.png

A return to league action has us continue our mixed form as we play out a goal less draw with a Blackpool side struggling to match up to the early pace. Having been rejected for the Tangerines job earlier in my career the life-less game was hardly an indication that the Blackpool board had made a mistake.

14th September 2019
League Two

Sep19-b.png

Another victory comes along to boost our hopes as we make hard work of a home tie against a Yeovil side looking set for a disastrous relegation battle this season. A sloppy own goal saw our rather hap-hazard defence gift Yeovil a lead until a goal just before the whistle pulled us back into the game with Olley securing the points mid-way through the second half.

21st September 2019
League Two

Sep19-c.png

Once again we are unable to build any kind of momentum as we are quickly shut down by Swindon Town. The Robins are looking keen to make an impact this season and already look to be leading the early pace as they smash home two first half goals that completely took the wind out of our young squads sails.

28th September 2019
League Two

Sep19-d.png

This season has thus far been nothing but mixed. With the squad unable to bounce back from the convincing defeat in the previous game they struggle to another goalless draw with Accrington Stanley with the entirety of Lancashire bored into submission with neither side barely able to muster any shots on goal.

September 2019
League Two

Sep19.png

Still unable to put down any kind of form or muster any actual threats upon goal it seems that the Mariners are set for a season of mixed fortunes. Perhaps a seventeenth place finish wouldn't be such a bad thing? With the squad slipping another spot further down the table we can only hope our slide stops soon.

October 2019​

Oct19-z.png

2nd October 2019
League Two

Oct19-a.png

Once again our league form starts with disappointment as October gets underway with a late loss to Forest Green. Having played out more then our fair share of goalless draws in the previous two months, the goal just seconds from the final whistle was almost a small blessing...shame the home crowd didn't see it that way.

5th October 2019
League Two

Oct19-b.png

The club finally showcases its true talent as it burst into a mini winning streak with a Barkhuizen inspired victory over Crawley Town. The right winger has been all but invisible in the last few games but finally reveals his talents to the Mariners faithful with a brace to keep the club out of the relegation dog fight.

8th October 2019
EFL Trophy - Group E

CT19-b.png

A return to the English Football League Trophy has us pick up a surprise victory over Premier League giants Manchester City's Under Twenty Threes. The boys battled valiantly against some of the countries brightest young players but it proved to be veteran midfielder Fabian Delph who would have the biggest impact being sent to the stands after half an hour and gifting us the victory.

12th October 2019
League Two

Oct19-c.png

On the back of their Football League trophy victory the boys returned to the league in high spirits smashing home four goals in a long awaited goal fest at Blundell Park. With the midfield lighting up the game not even a late goal from the Imps could spoil the party as we make it two convincing league wins in a row. The top of the table beckons!

19th October 2019
League Two

Oct19-d.png

Connor Wilkinson once again emerges from the depths to rattle in a flurry of goals to kill off a play-off chasing Bristol Rovers. The Irish striker might not be exactly consistently finding the back of the net but when he does, the boy certainly knows how to do it with style, doubling his season tally with a sensational hat-trick.

26th October 2019
League Two

Oct19-e.png

Our winning streak comes to an end in the most dramatic of styles as a rampant second half of football see's both club throw their defensive duties away and throw everything towards the goal. A late comeback from the Mariners nearly saw us claim a deserved point but their spirited efforts fell just short to see the Gills claim an important three points.

October 2019
League Two
Oct19.png

The club finds itself entering the relatively unknown territory of mid-table as we start to wrack up the points in style. With the League already shaping up to be incredibly close this season it looks like we are set for an interesting season. If we keep this kind of form up, who knows where we could end up?!

11th Great achievement!! looks like a win can get you high up there and a loss will take you all the way done... good luck on your tight rope you can do it

I never knew Man City 23's were able to play in the EFL trophy. Would be good thing in real life if they were involved in the lower leagues just like in Spain.

Thanks Wanderer, The League is certainly looking tight, I hope we can do it!

Nor did I Jonny, truth be told I know very little about this competition other then that its bizarre!​

November 2019

Nov19-z.png

2nd November 2019
League Two

Nov19-a.png

Before we can get comfortable in our mid-table position Stevenage set about pushing us back down into the dangerous bottom half. In what has become a staple of Grimsby games recently the first-half of the game was a complete borefest, with Stevenage eventually bursting into life just after the hour mark to claim all three points.

9th November 2019
FA Cup - 1st Round

FAC19-a.png

Having been knocked out of the League Cup within the first round we repeat the feat in the FA Cup as we are sent packing by our fellow EFL Trophy competitors Chesterfield. The League One side made quick amends for our earlier victory scoring within just four minutes but a quick reply was eventually snuffed our as Sordell smashed home a second-half winner.

12th November 2019
EFL Trophy - Group E

CT19-c.png

Whilst the FA and League Cup might not have exactly gone to plan...at all, we can at least take some comfort from the prestigious EFL Trophy as we pick up yet another victory to round off the group stage courtesy of a red card from our League Two rivals, Notts County. The knockout stages await!

16th November 2019
League Two

Nov19-b.png

We return to the League in apparently inspired form to cruise past Rochdale. Irish striker Connor Wilkinson once again finds the back of the net in style as he fires home a tidy brace to send the Dale packing and force our way back into mid-table. Our form remains frustratingly mixed. We can only hope for some consistency soon!

23rd November 2019
League Two

Nov19-c.png

An uncharacteristically exciting game saw us cling on for all three points in a ding-dong battle against Hartlepool. Connor Wilkinson finally proves that he is capable of scoring just one goal as he kick starts a sensational game but it took our attacking midfielders to make the difference as they do just enough to secure the points.

27th November 2019
League Two

Nov19-d.png

On the back of two victories we finally looked like a team about to prove their worth in the brutal world of League Two until the mighty Stags arrived. Having put the entire crowd to sleep with another first half of lackluster football we eventually woke the fans with a second half opener before Mansfield ensured the fans could drift off without worry with a quick equaliser.

30th November 2019
League Two

Nov19-e.png

With a small portion of the fans waking up in time for the long journey to Plymouth we rewarded their loyalty with a first half that actually gave them a reason for coming. Albian midfielder Gjuci scored just before the break with our rarely featured Estonian signing, Kait doubling the lead to send the Mariner faithfuls home happy.

November 2019
League Two

Nov19_1.png

Uncharted territory! Taking everyone by surprise, including myself, the club has actually managed to claim an early playoff spot. With the season barreling towards the mid-way point the boys have somehow managed to emerge as genuine contenders. I'm not sure how this is happened but I'm definitely going to take all the credit.

November 2019
EFL Trophy - Group E

Nov19-EFL.png

Having topped the table and cruising our way into the knock out stage of the competition, the boys can definitely take some credit from their impressive performances. One small problem. This competition is truly bizarre. With penalty wins apparently awarding just two points and the Under Twenty Threes of the Premier League elite ready to humiliate at any moment I have no idea what the next rounds offer.

Merry Christmas!

I have actually managed to wrangle a short break this year so might not be posting for a little while. Have a great Christmas guys!

December 2019

Dec19-z.png

10th December 2019
EFL Trophy North - 2nd Round

CT19-d.png

I'm not sure if this is part of the EFL Trophie's setup or just happened to be luck of the draw but non the less the second round of the competition has us go up against fellow Group E qualifiers, Chesterfield. Having narrowly squeezed past them in the group stage and been humiliated in the FA Cup, a four goal white wash was not exactly on the cards. It's almost like no-ones taking this cup seriously?!

14th December 2019
League Two

Dec19-a.png

The goal frenzy in the previous game is long gone by the time we arrive in Wycombe with both clubs seemingly incapable of putting together any kind of meaningful attacking move and eventually giving up and settling for an unattractive but thoroughly deserved point. Thrilling stuff.

21st December 2019
League Two

Dec19-b.png

Thankfully a slightly more interesting tie then the previous one as we send the Mariners faithful off into the Christmas period with a second point. Leyton Orient wasted little time in bringing the game into life but a Barkhuizen equaliser gave a much needed boost to our festive cheer with the board spreading the joy with an early present...
Dec19-24th.png

Gri-Con2.png

26th December 2019
League Two

Dec19-c.png

The one thousand pound mark has been broken! With a new bumper contract in tow, I sent the boys out with renewed vigor to go up against everyone's favorite reborn team, AFC Wimbledon. With my wallet more full then ever before the boys pulled off a superb clinical performance to secure the win. Surely just a mere coincidence...

29th December 2019
League Two

Dec19-d.png

We round off another year of football with our second victory of the month courtesy of Olley's early goal. Scunthorpe are heavy favorites to end their recent rot and finally climb back up the table but on the back of another disappointing showing from the The Iron it looks like the Mariners might stand a batter chance of bursting into League One!

December 2019
League Two

Dec19.png

An unbeaten month of football, a bumper new contract and a shot at making a shocking entrance into League One. What is happening? I'm not sure if this is just my year of I have finally worked out how to play this game but for once I actually look like I know what I'm doing. Progress!

Great stuff, don't listen to me, your tactic is working just fine! Good luck with the unexpected promotion push and congrats on the new contract too

Enjoy your holiday!

Thanks very much Patrick, hope you had a good one!

Thanks alot Spuddy!

January 2020

Jan20-z.png

1st January 2020
League Two

Jan20-a.png

The new year starts in disappointing fashion as we kiss goodbye to our recent reversal of form, to gift Dagenham and Redbridge a narrow and undeserved victory. The Daggers spent the majority of the fixture on the back foot with the Mariners running the show but a converted corner just before the break proved to be enough to see us slump to defeat.

4th January 2020
League Two

Jan20-b.png

The new decade continues to frustrate as we slip up against a Promotion chasing Notts County, with the Magpies striking twice in a dominant second half to see us slipping closer towards the edge of the Playoff spots as we draw closer to the end of season run in. Perhaps ignoring the January transfer window was a mistake...

11th January 2020
League Two

Jan20-c.png

Bring back 2019! It's three defeats in a row as we are left rocked by a fast hitting Barnet. Having rifled their way into a two goal lead before the break, the boys could only muster an instant reply before eventually spending the rest of the ninety minutes frustrated with a Nartey red-card summing up the boys fruitless efforts.

14th January 2020
EFL Trophy North - 3rd Round

CT19-e.png

Our run in the EFL Trophy finally comes to its expected end as we are sent packing from the competition by fellow League Two side, Blackpool. Despite being reduced to ten men it seems the Sea-siders are determined to grab a last chance at snatching some silverware smuggling a victory via the lottery of penalties to head towards the final.

18th January 2020
League Two

Jan20-d.png

We finally bring an end to our new year hoodoo as we force our way to all three points against a strong Oldham side. The Owls started the game brightly claiming the lead in an end to end fifteen minutes of football but a controlled second half saw the Mariners quickly reverse the scoreline to claim a much needed three points.

25th January 2020
League Two

Jan20-e.png

We return to back to back victories with a tight game against Cambridge United with both sides trying their utmost to secure the points in a frantic first half of football. Once again the boys kept their heads to find a way back into the points with Wilkinson's goal just before the whistle proving to be enough to repair our flagging playoff dream.

January 2020
League Two

Jan20.png

Despite a shoddy start to the year the club still finds itself nestled within the playoffs and just four points adrift of a miraculous spot in the automatic promotion spots. With four months of football remaining the boys certainly have everything to play for but simply to find ourselves so far clear of the bottom half of the table is a major feat upon itself.

A good couple of months before January, good to see you still in and around the playoffs though

Followed most of this last year until i fell off the face of the planet :p
Great to see it back this year again!

Loving it so far! First season at Guiseley had me biting my nails, great achievement with them bringing them up the table so fast!
Doing another great job at Grimsby! Are you going to start a trend here and just join clubs beginning with 'G' ? :p

KUTGW!