Just caught up jack! Connor is killing it for you... looks like my choice to release him will come back to haunt me!! unlucky on the playoffs but I think you will soon have another job offer! Keep it up man!

I'm completely baffled that some league 1 side hasn't come calling for an interview, with that kind of turn around. Excellent season, and good luck with finding a better paying job in a higher league.

Thanks Dan, second season syndrome does await however!

Thanks very much Stuart!

He really is making the most of his new opportunities! Fingers crossed Wanderer, Connor could be my ticket to a new bumper wage. Thanks again!

They are more sensible then it seems jmckenzie! Thanks very much, I'll keep annoying League One sides until they eventually break!

Preseason
2020/21

Pre20-z.png

11th July 2020
Friendly

Pre20-a.png

The Preseason gets underway with a quick victory over Newcastle Town. Not to be confused with the Black and White giants in the North East, The Castle are from the little known Newcastle Under Lyme in Staffordshire and where soon reminded of their lowly status with two goals on the half hour mark that secured a well earned victory for a slow starting Mariners.

18th July 2020
Friendly

Pre20-b.png

The club quickly ramps up the pace as they ease to a three goal victory over Vanarama South side, Welling. With The Wings far from being on par with the League One chasing Mariners, the comfortable result was certainly expected but a dominant display and a first goal for new arrival and fantastically named Diallang Jaiyesimi was certainly a welcome boost.

25th July 2020
Friendly

Pre20-c.png

Three games done and the club continues to wrack up the victories this time with a narrow win over a determined Wealdstone. With the non-league side clearly bolstered by their viral superfan's fame, they held on to their clean-sheet with grim determination with only a Cali thunderbolt proving to be enough to break their resilience.

3rd August 2020
Friendly

Pre20-d.png

Final game of the pre-season has the club see off Premier League side, Leicesters exciting young talents with a late flurry of goals, finally seeing the boys break through a tough and spirited defence as they ensure a perfect set of warm-up games, for a side determined to build off the back of last season's exploits.

With last season success still fresh in the back of my mind, the formation for the forth coming season was in little danger of going through any kind of overhaul. My 4-3-2-1 Christmas Tree formation can wait...for now.

Pre20-0.png

With Grimsby's wealth of attacking midfielders at their disposal and a reformed defence, the 4-2-3-1 formation is set to stay in place for yet one more season.

With one of the most free-scoring attacks and leakiest defences to be found in the top half of the League, the "Kevin Keegan" approach is apparently working wonders alongside my lack of actual ability!

CM (D) - I like it! Good luck for the upcoming season, it would be great to see you win the league although if you're top of the table, the offers may come rolling in!

looking good that pre season was good and connor again getting in on the goals! What is the media predicting for you and what is your prediction?

Love this manager story. I have followed it from FM16 and am very happy you decided to continue it on FM17.

You seem to be having a better time if it this year mind.

Keep up the great work DJ.

I would be a fool not to listen, its certainly not down me any harm since taking it on board! At this stage it's just about getting noticed anyway possible! Certainly is different for it to be about events at the top of the table rather then the bottom! Thanks Patrick!

13th Place this season! Not a bad improvement at all but a bit of a kick in the teeth following our playoff exploits, personally I would settle for a top half finish this time around....but in all honesty I want a title! I have had a taste of success and I like it!

Thanks very much indeed Worthy. It does seem to be going rather well. perhaps my Christmas Tree formation was holding me back all along? Thanks again!

August 2020

Aug20-z.png

8th August 2020
League Two

Aug20-a.png

It takes just One hundred and Twenty Seconds for League Two to remind us just how hard we are going to have to work to return to the top of the table, as a Blackpool side desperately looking to stop the rot, smash home the opening goal with another late in the second half cancelling out Connor's equalizer and with it any hopes of starting the season in style.

12th August 2020
EFL Cup - 1st Round

EFL20-a.png

Much like last season we are sent packing from the League Cup at the first time of asking, courtesy of a harsh cup draw and a fortunate performance from a Championship side. Clearly nervous in the fortress that is Blundell Park, Blackburn struggled to break down the League Two side, eventually relying on the lottery of penalties to end any hopes of a giant killing.

15th August 2020
League Two

Aug20-b.png

Despite starting the season with two losses, the boys do turn on the style to stroll past Cambridge and pick up their first points of the campaign. Having gone down just after the half hour mark it seemed we were in for a rough afternoon until the boys turned on the style just before the break, dominating the entire second half and getting us back on course for the top.

19th August 2020
League Two

Aug20-c.png

It turns out our route to the top might not be quite so simple. Perennial League Two stragglers Barnet seem determined to finally build a gap between themselves and Non League football and a resilient performance saw The Bees cling on to a well earned point and ensure the home faithful continue to enjoy a frustrating start to the season.

22nd August 2020
League Two

Aug20-d.png

Remember when Sven was in charge of these guys? Crazy times. Even the Swedish Lothario would have been impressed by the football on show at Meadow Lane as both sides threw caution into the wind, with wave of attacks testing their slow starting defence's and some last minute heroics snatching the win for the Magpies as Wilkinson's late leveler is cruelly cancelled out.

29th August 2020
League Two

Aug20-e.png

With Wilkinson's efforts amounting to just one solitary point the unfortunate Irish finisher was once again left ruing what could have been as his second half opening thunderbolt of a shot was cancelled out by the final kick of the game, thanks to some generous overtime from the referee. I'm starting to feel that last season may have been a footballing anomaly already...

August 2020
League Two

Aug20.png

An incredibly frustrating start to the season see's the club drop crucial points across the board as they struggle to see out the game with tired legs and low heads. With a huge chunk of the season still ahead of us, we can only hope that the boys can rally before it's too late for us to match the leading pack.

September 2020​

Sep20-z.png

1st September 2020
EFL Trophy - Group G

CT20-a.png

First game of the still mysterious Checkatrade Trophy has us go toe to toe with the recently relegated Burton Albion. The Brewers are struggling to adapt to life back in League One but made no mistake in their hunt for some morale boosting silverware as they cruise to an easy win courtesy of a hat-trick from their eighteen year old sensation, Middleton.

12th September 20120
League Two

Sep20-a.png

The woes continue to grow in the League as we again fall short in another end to end game as our second half domination comes too late to get the Mariners back into the game with a strong Wrexham side, clinging on to the points and ensuring that both clubs continue to travel in different directions.

15th September 2020
League Two

Sep20-b.png

At this point goal-less draws have already become a welcome sight. With a squad seemingly devoid of motivation and belief, the new signings failing to gel and the club leaking points faster then the hole in the titanic, the early going in this season is already proving to be a test to my managerial abilities...I think I'm back to normal.

19th September 2020
League Two

Sep20-c.png

A second half red-card at least gave us some thing to blame for another loss in the league but truth be told Forest Green dominated proceedings, opening the scoring after just seven minutes and running our beleaguered defence ragged for the remainder of the game to leave the home fans already starting to question my ability. The honeymoon period is well and truly over.

26th September 2020
League Two

Sep20-d.png

With Forest Green wasting little time in snatching the lead in the previous game, Gillingham decided to up the stakes as they find the back of the net just seconds from the whistle leaving the referees lips at the start of the game. The lightning quick goal proved to be more then enough to hold us at bay as the Gils ease to victory.

30th September 2020
League Two

Sep20-e.png

A glimmer of hope! Just when I thought my good fortune in my new career had come to long overdue end, the boys return to their best as Connor Wilkinson finally finds himself scoring for the winning side and new arrival Jaiyesimi joining him on the scoresheet to smash the Swans with a dominant first half of football. Keep the faith!

September 2020
League Two

Sep20.png

Our horrific start to the season has us back in the depths of League Two and in the unwelcome familiar territory of the relegation battle I joined the club in just over a year ago. With the losses racking up and just two victories to their name, the squad is doing just enough to keep their head's above water.

****** ****, Lincoln survived! Nice to see they've sorted the defence out this season though...

A minor miracle Godfish. They're actually doing quite well thus far but the Media still predict them for a precarious 22nd place finish. Fingers crossed!

October 2020

Oct20-z.png

3rd October 2020
League Two

Oct20-a.png

Any hopes of building off our thrashing of Wycombe are soon squashed as Jack McKay cancels out his fellow Irishmans opening goal in a decidedly one sided second half of football that saw Shrewsbury eventually cruise to a comfortable victory. This kind of way-ward form is certainly not going to have us knocking on the door to League One anytime soon.

6th October 2020
EFL Trophy - Group G

CT20-b.png

We are all but knocked out of the Football League Trophy as Newcastle's young starlets secure the win courtesy of some haphazard penalties from our tired squad. having pushed for the entirety of the game some weak finishing proved costly as Newcastle's Under Twenty-Threes claim a fortunate victory.

10th October 2020
League Two

Oct20-b.png

With the club all but knocked out of the Checkatrade Trophy, the boys suddenly seem to have some renewed determination. Key Italian midfielder, Cali opened the scoring after just Twenty minutes of football and some much missed resolute defending saw the Mariner's loyal supporters finally rewarded with all three points.

17th October 2020
League Two

Oct20-c.png

Once again the footballing gods smile upon us as we make it back to back victories in the most dramatic of fashions. Having equalised just seven minutes from time, it seemed The Dale were about to claim a fortunate point, until a two footed challenge, a well worked move and a well converted tap-in saw Grimsby reclaim the lead and with it the points.

24th October 2020
League Two

Oct20-d.png

All of a sudden things don't seem so bad. With three victories on the trot the club's precariously low position has suddenly turned around and our determined push for promotion has once again started to re-emerge from the depths. A superb display from the midfield ensure another three points against the struggling Stags.

31st October 2020
League Two

Oct20-e.png

Having started the month so poorly, we end the month back on a high as we ****** our fourth straight victory courtesy of an own goal just seconds after half-time. The sloppy own-goal came off the back of a well worked corner and the fortunate opener proved to be just the break we needed against an otherwise rigid Port Vale.

October 2020
League Two

Oct20.png

From the depths of the relegation zone to the safety of mid-table. With the boys turning on the style...and good fortune, the Mariners find themselves sailing comfortable away from the already fierce dog-fight at the bottom and back towards the excitement and hope found towards the head of the table.

Last edited:
Looking good mate! you needed that last month it was looking grim! Connor is banging them in! is he up there in the top goalscorers??? any places your looking to strengthen during the jan window?

I am new to the site, I have just been through all of this and it makes for a very interesting read and certainly passing the time at work! I am looking forward to further updates.

BTW - I like the look of Jack Lee, a good centre half.

Thanks Wanderer, I was certainly starting to look around rather nervously until October! He is actually in sensational form which is quite impressive given the fact his potential has apparently spiraled down. Unfortunately I didn't check back then but I think he was well within the top 10?! Just the midfield is all. Nothing major.

Thanks very much Calder and welcome to the site! I'm glad to hear there are still plenty of us browsing at work! In Lee we trust!​

November 2020

Nov20-z.png

7th November 2020
FA Cup - 1st Round

FAC20-a.png

Having been knocked out of the League Cup and Trophy at the quickest opportunity we complete the trifecta as we spiral out of the FA Cup in the first round courtesy of some surprisingly confident football from Sutton United. The National League side, should have been easy pickings for the in form Mariners but a goal just before the break left us stunned and the minnows on their way to the second round.

10th November 2020
EFL Trophy - Group G

CT20-c.png

Capping off what was a horrendous competition for the Mariners we crash out of the English Football League Trophy on the back of a three goal thrashing from Doncaster Rovers. Having not once been in the entire game, Rovers dominated the entire fixture, as the League One side gave us a huge reminder of just how far we have to go to reach League One.

14th November 2020
League Two

Nov20-a.png

On the back of the humiliation from Doncaster it would be safe to say our morale has taken a bit of a dive but with their heads held low the squad bounced back in absolute style as they stole a narrow victory over a strong Stevenage side to return the club to winning ways and resume a slightly more cautious race towards League One.

21st November 2020
League Two

Nov20-b.png

The boys continue to press towards the promised land as a rare goal for young striker, Charles Diallo has us skip past recently relegated Chesterfield and back towards the playoff spots. With the squad once again feeling a surge of self belief following their back to back victories it seemed we we're set for a sensational run in to the new year....

25th November 2020
League Two

Nov20-c.png

...Maybe not. Our usually unflappable midfielder Cali, apparently ignited his Italian passion within the first twelve minutes of the game to see him quickly sent to the stands following a horror challenge. To their credit the ten men held on until the last few minutes of the game with the Daggers eventually bursting the deadlock in style snatching a flattering three goal victories.

28th November 2020
League Two

Nov20-d.png

And we're back! Once again the boys pull out all the stops in the League Two local derby as they restore some pride from the thrashing just three days ago with an emphatic victory over The Imps courtesy of some sensational plays from our attacking midfielders. Does this make up for a three goal annihilation at home?

November 2020
League Two

Nov20.png

Despite suffering some humiliating defeats leaving every cup competition behind in a trail of tears and having our very status as League One chasing side strongly questioned, the squad still manages to burst it's way back into the playoffs as we barrel towards the mid-way stage of the season.

November 2020
EFL Trophy - Group E

CL20.png

The less said about this the better... The boys bow out of the Football League trophy having scored just two goals, losing every single game and suffering a severely bruised ego. Truth be told I actually tried this time around. Grabbing some unexpected silverware would have been a welcome boost to my reputation....it might have had the opposite affect this time around.

that fa cup match must have been dreadful! Especially losing at home.

It was indeed Aldo, at least it felt vaguely normal though!

December 2020​
Dec20-2nd.png

Dec20-2nd1.png

Dec20-z.png

12th December 2020
League Two

Dec20-a.png

Before a ball is even kicked a slow starting December burst into life with two job offers from a mid-table MK Dons and a Rotherham side wallowing in the depths of the Championship. Given the recent attention the boys didn't exactly do me any favors in progressing up the ladder and my potential suitors wasted little time in making their moves following the game...
Dec20-9th.png

Dec20-13th.png

December 2020
League Two

Dec20.png

Well that escalated quickly...

With the Mariners still poised on the edge of the playoffs despite their recent thrashing, I take a shortcut into the heart of League One as the newest club on the block, Milton Keynes Dons throw caution into the wind to snap me away from my growing career on the East Coast.

I guess it's time to see if my luck finally comes to an end with the most hated club in the football league...

Well done on getting the MK Dons job! I hope it comes with a nice payrise!

so after a while away i went back to start a journey career after reading this, and the progress has been phenomenal.
Started with Stirling being paid a mighty £150 p/w and gained promotion to Ladbrooks League 1 in my first season. After promotion i resigned as i felt there was no way I could take them further (turns out i was right, 2 seasons later they were relegated out the leagues and replaced by the mighty Gala Fairydean).
I though after those exploits i'd get a new job quickly.....cue 9 months out until Gateshead offered me a position in the conference with a massive wage £600p/w. 3 seasons later they were in the Championship, by then there was not a hope i would be able to take them any further so i applied for what felt like every available job in europe and south america, eventually ending up at Nuremberg. I have to admit i made i mistake, and misread their league position. I thought i'd made it to the big time of the Bundesliga.....but it turns out they were relegated so league 2 it was (with a nice wage rise to 4k p/w).
A year after promotion with them I just got poached by Koln with a healthy almost millionaire salary of 12.5k and about to start my first season in one of europes big leagues. Hoping a good season here will bring me a move to a big team.

Last edited:
Good work on the MK Dons job DJ! Great to see you beginning to move forward