The Great San Marino Challenge & Discussion Thread

I just restarted this challenge, because i was using my brother's tactic and alwayshad to ask him for advise on what players to buy.
So now i restarted and created my own tactic. I played 3 friendly games against Serie A teams

Genoa Won 2-1
Lazio Lose 0-1 (89 minute)
Napoli drew 2-2 (came back from 0-2 behind)

So it looks promissing, hopefully the C2 will be fun to play

Has anyone tried to use the San Marino League and have a San Mariese team as San Marinos B team, besically with 1 manager you could compete as national coach, in the Italy League with San Marino and as a San Marino club in their league with your first teams reserves. Ive done with by using Swansea while having Neath as Swansea B Team and competing in the Welsh League. You can do this by altering affiliations in the Editor and setting the San Marino club to B Team.

Has anyone tried to use the San Marino League and have a San Mariese team as San Marinos B team, besically with 1 manager you could compete as national coach, in the Italy League with San Marino and as a San Marino club in their league with your first teams reserves. Ive done with by using Swansea while having Neath as Swansea B Team and competing in the Welsh League. You can do this by altering affiliations in the Editor and setting the San Marino club to B Team.

That would be cool, then one day you could face your B team in champions league XD. But I'm already too far in my save to restart that way... nice idea though, maybe someone could try that

Read about this last week, been tempted to do it since, Only really find FM interesting when your chasing promotion and on a tight budget, find it gets boring once you've reached the top. So this, starting at the very bottom of any ladder should be good. I will post how I get on!

Beef

hey guys, i'm an experienced virtual manager and frequent reader of the site but i joined after reading this and ubernisations san marino challenge as i want to put myself to the test. i'm currently in february of my first season with the italian league team, first place and unbeaten in the league and in the semis of the serie C cup but knocked out of the italian cup. with the national side i lost all competitive games though good results include a 3-0 loss to holland and a 2-0 loss to sweden. i also have one friendly win.
how do i post screenies for proof?

Read about this last week, been tempted to do it since, Only really find FM interesting when your chasing promotion and on a tight budget, find it gets boring once you've reached the top. So this, starting at the very bottom of any ladder should be good. I will post how I get on!

Beef

I feel exactly the same, I'm all for LLM and usually tend to lose interest when I reach the top division as the game becomes somewhat "standard", but that's not the case with the San Marino challenge. I'm now in serie A (2015) but still feel I'm at the start of my journey, still waiting to take control of NT actually!

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

hey guys, i'm an experienced virtual manager and frequent reader of the site but i joined after reading this and ubernisations san marino challenge as i want to put myself to the test. i'm currently in february of my first season with the italian league team, first place and unbeaten in the league and in the semis of the serie C cup but knocked out of the italian cup. with the national side i lost all competitive games though good results include a 3-0 loss to holland and a 2-0 loss to sweden. i also have one friendly win.
how do i post screenies for proof?

Yeah San Marino challenge is the ultimate challenge, welcome aboard :)

To post screenies: first take a picture of the screens during the game by pressing alt+F9 (they'll be saved in "screeshots" folder). Then use the attachments button when posting to upload your screens here.

Good luck with the challenge and keep us posted!

Last edited:
Titani season review
A foundation of a clinical front line coupled with an extremely stingy defence with the help of a 33 unbeaten streak in all competitions from the 11th of august to the 23rd of march; one of my best ever (on 07 i once went the entire season unbeaten with juventus, albeit with an all star squad in serie B), we won the league at a canter and won the cup with only 4 goals conceded in the entire tournament. We very nearly lost the final as morale was low having lost our unbeaten run just three days previously. We only had a 1-0 advantage from the first leg and quickly lost it going 2-0 down. However i rallied the troops at half time to claw our way back to 2 all and win the cup. in my opinion, san marino were way to good for this league and i am expecting automatic promotion next season if some of our cup performances are an accurate prediction of how we fare against teams of c1/c2 A calibre.
However i am concerned about our finances as we are almost a million in the red.

National Side
National successes were harder to come by. Friendly wins against Anguila and Sao Tome, both 2-1 were the only positives this season. after a 7-0 trouncing to japan in our first match, i realised i would have to play 5 at the back and with a defencive mentality in the qualifiers. i won't bother putting the euro quali tables up. basically we lost every game, scoring one goal, in a 5-1 defeat against hungary. our main problem is set plays, notably defending corners; my players couldn't mark a lamp post! our only decent player; Selva, whilst prolific at club level, has been poor for the national team with just two goals.
since i had to create a new user to get the job, i have been recieving job offers, the best of which was serie A's Chievo. i considered taking it as i could flog their players to my club side for peanuts but decided against it as it would be extreme cheating. Final ranking: 198th

Screenshots included: proof of my league and cup double and world ranking. though others can be submitted on request

I just started my third season in Serie A, after scraping relegation by a point on the last day!!! I seem to find myself in the same situation this season; I just can't win any games.. so I was wandering what kind of formations and tactics are people using in Serie A as nothing is going my way. The help would be deeply appreciated.
View attachment 128943

The squad I got this season is a major improvement from the last, I've got much more experience in the squad now with the likes of Borriello, Scocco and Emana.
View attachment 128942
On a more positive note I've finally gathered a youth player worthy of offering a professional contact to. During pre-season he pretty much scored in every game he played and looked impressive. His finishing and dribbling is still pretty poor, but I've concentrated his training on these attributes. But he could be pretty decent for San Marino, the country at least
View attachment 128944

In the first season, pre season, just signed my biggest signing for about 40k, 6 foot 3 target man.
First game, friendly, out for 6 months.

FRUSTRATING!

Hi,
Just finished my first season with San Marino. Won the Championship with 5games to spare! But got knocked out early of both cups. Best signing for me was Leo Aro but Cozza (right back/right midfielder) was another good signing.

Looking forward to the next season!

I'm just looking forward to getting out of this first league because it does appear very easy so bit boring at this point! But hopefully as the challenge gets greater so does the enjoyment!

I'm gonna give this a shot, starting now. Let's see how it goes :p

Err I'm trying to arrange friendlies in New Zealand but im not being paid to come.. How do I get the money?

I just started my third season in Serie A, after scraping relegation by a point on the last day!!! I seem to find myself in the same situation this season; I just can't win any games.. so I was wandering what kind of formations and tactics are people using in Serie A as nothing is going my way. The help would be deeply appreciated.

First thing is always quality of the squad and having right players for tactics you use. Personally I can't use tactics with AML/R unless I have top class wingers with great pace, dribble, technique and flair, and unfortunately these players are the most expensive in the game, totally out of reach right now.

I had some success in serie A (7th in first season) with a counter 4-1-2-3 with fast strikers, hard working midfielders and solid centre backs, in my second season I'm using a more attacking flat 4-3-3 and doing even better. But again, the key is the quality of my squad which is surprisingly high, a mix of great veterans (mostly free agents) and promising regens.

Maybe try being more aggressive at home against lesser teams, you really need those points against other relegation candidates! Then go out make some money via transfers and friendlies, put all into wage budget and sign a couple more of good free agents.

And btw that sammarinese youngster looks great, my youth products can only dream of such high standards:'(

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

I'm just looking forward to getting out of this first league because it does appear very easy so bit boring at this point! But hopefully as the challenge gets greater so does the enjoyment!

Don't worry you will have some hard times at some point, I promise...

and remember managing the club is the "easy" part...

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

[Screenshots included: proof of my league and cup double and world ranking. though others can be submitted on request

Good job, can you put your transfers & best eleven for club, and NT tactic and formation?

And btw why don't you just retire the other manager and apply for NT job so you can manage both club and national side with the same, no?

Last edited:
And btw why don't you just retire the other manager and apply for NT job so you can manage both club and national side with the same, no?

would be easier but i don't think winning the serie C2/B and cup would be good enough of a reputation to get me the job

Serie A: Final Recommendations

Welcome to Serie A! Time for San Marino to face the best clubs in the country (and sometimes in the world) and start building a new tradition at the highest level.

Honestly if you've made it all the way to the top division, making San Marino history in the process, you probably don't need much help from anyone. Keep in mind that most of the recommendations from the "Approaching Serie B" post (especially reputation & match strategy) are still good for Serie A, but let me add just a couple of things:

Transfers & Finances

- Get some quality. I can't stress enough the importance of quality new signings everytime you move up divisions, better players will give you better chances of success. Simple as that. Again, don't expect a huge transfer budget or expensive purchases, just put all your money into wages and concentrate on finding the best free agents available. There should be more than a few interested, the problem is there's usually a lot of competition (maybe from illustrious clubs all over Europe) to sign the best ones, and let's face it our small San Marino side don't really have that international reputation (not yet!). Which takes us to the next point...

- Bribe the agents & give ultimatum. When you're battling with the likes of Wolfsburg, Celtic or Lazio (to name a few) to sign the same free agents, you know it's going to be hard to compete on the same level: those are some very reputable club, with a succesful tradition, often competing in european cups. You may find an agreement with your transfer target, with a generous offer and other bonus, just to see them signing with another club and a lesser contract! So, when you've found a general agreement with your potential signing (and you feel he would really be a key player for your team) just over-pay his agent (I'm talking about 400K euros if necessary...) and set the offer as "non-negotiable". There's no way I could have signed international class players like Nelson Rivas or Miralem Sulejmani without doing that.

- Search for regens. By the time you're in Serie A the game should have generated lots of promising youngsters all over the world, and you need to start getting some of them, especially if they're good and cheap (if they have an EU passport, better). Search for them manually or send your scouts everywhere in the world (all year long), there are some hidden gems just waiting to be discovered. Like these...

View attachment 129626 View attachment 129627 View attachment 129628 View attachment 129629

- Sign & sell. Along with selling/loaning away all your useless players, you should consider another strategy to improve your finances and your transfer/wage budget: sign some decent, reputable players even if you don't really need them just to sell them in the next window. Of course you need to keep the wages under control so get your key free signings first, but after that don't be afraid to use the "Wall Street" approach. Some examples:

View attachment 129639 View attachment 129640 View attachment 129638

Tactics

- I will never ever tell you how to play with your team, as you can definitely find success (or failure) with ANY kind of tactic in FM. One thing I've noticed though is that playing with AML/R at the highest level is difficult unless you don't have very good wingers with high dribbling, pace, flair, technique, crossing. And these players tend to be the most expensive in the game, generally out of reach for our newly promoted San Marino side. I'm all for 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 and flamboyant wingers, but I can't seem to find good ones at reasonable price so had no choice but to change (using 4-1-2-3 and 4-3-3 in my first 2 seasons). Don't stick to a particular tactic just because it was succesful in the past, always build tactics around your current best players.

Last edited: