The Great San Marino Challenge & Discussion Thread

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOBqZWDQuU8"]YouTube - Poggibonsi vs San Marino - Depetris Goal 40th minute[/ame]

Can't see a better goal than this ;)

Can't see a better goal than this ;)

Hahaha what a goal!

Depetris is like lower leagues Leo Messi! Too bad he's having an uninspiring career in real life but as a teenager he was one of the many "next maradona"...

Hahaha what a goal!

Depetris is like lower leagues Leo Messi! Too bad he's having an uninspiring career in real life but as a teenager he was one of the many "next maradona"...

What do you think of my signing? Tejera?

What do you think of my signing? Tejera?

He's real class for C2 standard. If hew was 10 years younger and a bit quicker he would rock with the best of them in serie A...

How are you using him? trequartista?

just started with National team and Club signed a deal to the end of the 2015 season San Marino club

Nah, advanced Playmaker

Yep makes sense, too.

One thing: I'd be tempted to use facepacks and team badges (that Titani logo looks great) but I'm always afraid they could slow down my game (sometimes even custom skins did that). How do they run for you? Also what's your skin, I'd like to give it a try.

Yep makes sense, too.

One thing: I'd be tempted to use facepacks and team badges (that Titani logo looks great) but I'm always afraid they could slow down my game (sometimes even custom skins did that). How do they run for you? Also what's your skin, I'd like to give it a try.

They do slow the game down a lot, but I don't care :p The skin is RD5.

Update: On a 6 match winning run, Tejera is assisting shitloads and Toppmoller and Alexis Abrahim are banging them in. But I have an unlikely top-scorer. Pecorari is scoring a bagfull from corners

They do slow the game down a lot, but I don't care :p The skin is RD5.

Update: On a 6 match winning run, Tejera is assisting shitloads and Toppmoller and Alexis Abrahim are banging them in. But I have an unlikely top-scorer. Pecorari is scoring a bagfull from corners

Thanks I was fearing just that, I think I'll stay away from those beatiful pics and logos for now... but I'll try that skin.

Pecorari will be a beast even in C1, I was sad to let him go after 2 years but he got too old and slow... still a fan favorite though!

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

just started with National team and Club signed a deal to the end of the 2015 season San Marino club

welcome to San Marino mate, good luck!

Just got Chiesa & Oliveira on a fr to add to my attacking options

Life at Club: Approaching Serie B

So you've made it to Serie B. Congratulations! You're officially part of the glorious San Marino history & folklore, as you've taken the club to unmatched heights and to their first campaign ever in the Italian second tier. You've managed to escape from the Serie C Inferno and you're only one step away from Serie A Paradise (and I mean $$$), but how much time you're going to spend in Serie B Purgatory?

In my experience Serie B has been the toughest division to face for a combination of different factors like club reputation, budget available, standard of football and quality of opponents. 22 teams, 2 direct promotions + 1 via playoffs, a long, exhausting season against richer clubs with better reputation, some of them much closer to Serie A standard - Torino, Atalanta, Siena, Lecce to name a few.

The board will ask you to just avoid relegation and build for the future, a task you should be able to achieve if you can put together a decent squad. Remember, though: you're playing for the whole nation of San Marino and your main goal is to reach Serie A (and consequent financial stability) in order to improve quality of facilities and local prospects, thus starting a new era for Sammarinese football.

Nobody expects you to gain an immediate promotion, but you should really try to build the best squad you can and finish as high as possible. If you see you're comfortably achieving a safe position don't relax, push it! 6th place will be enough to enter the playoff Russian Roulette, and then anything can happen! Either you succeed or not, this attitude and experience will be a key for any future improvement of both your players and club.

More in-depth considerations:

Finances

- Money from league, TV deals and sponsorhips won't really boost your finances (not until Serie A), and your 4500 seats stadium won't help either. But as I mentioned in the Serie C introduction, this could be a good time to visit Oceania and arrange some friendlies there. Clubs from New Zealand will gladly pay you 200K euros to host a friendly, and you should really take advantage of that. Personally I spent all pre-season there, then arranged friendly matches during any winter/international break, and also a mid-week friendly (played reserves/yongsters) all season long. Guess you could do even more if you have the patience...

Transfers

- As a rule you should try to improve drastically your squad anytime you reach a higher division, and your Serie B début will be no exception. Transfer budget is again far from spectacular, but wage budget should start looking decent and your new status should attract some high caliber players. Concentrate on free agents with at least Serie B experience, and shock your board & fans with the occasional international class signing. Remember: good players are better than great tactics.

- Try to sign some decent youngsters even if you don't plan playing them regularly: they'll hopefully attract the attention of bigger clubs and generate profit from a sell or co-ownership. It happened to me quite often to receive generous co-ownership offers for almost useless youngsters! Make sure these signings don't eat your wage budget, though.

Club Reputation & Match Strategy

- Don't forget that San Marino is a rookie at Serie B level, and club reputation is something quite relevant in FM11. You were probably used to attack wildly home & away in Serie C (I did that), press your opponents, dictate tempo and control possession: well forget about that, unless you want to get thrashed badly by those Serie B powerhouses (I did that too). Even if you're confident about the quality of your team you really need to change your approach, especially away: play counter, lower your tempo and D-line, waste time, use defensive shouts. Once your team has acquired some confidence and chemistry you can re-set an attacking strategy (only at home, please) but keep using counter/defensive strategies according to different opponents and situations (e.g. when you take the lead). During my Serie B season my team proved to be almost unbeatable at home, but was often embarrassing away (and I mean the 0-8 kind of embarrassing) before I learnt the joy of playing counter.

Finally, previous general recommendations from the Serie C introduction (page 1, post 28) still count for Serie B.

Last edited:
Thats a great insight to Serie B there mate. will be really useful as **** when I reach such heady heights, in hopefully a copla seasons! Just had promotion from the startting league confirmed with 3 games to spare, onwards and upwards I suppose!
loving this challange.
Out of interest, any idea how long it takes to start to see an improvement in Regens?

Starting this right now, You have inspired me to do this dude, Well done :)

Thats a great insight to Serie B there mate. will be really useful as **** when I reach such heady heights, in hopefully a copla seasons! Just had promotion from the startting league confirmed with 3 games to spare, onwards and upwards I suppose!
loving this challange.
Out of interest, any idea how long it takes to start to see an improvement in Regens?

Thanks mate and good job with the promotion, one step in the right direction, keep going!

I'm in summer 2014 and still no trace of decent youth products, but I guess we should blame my board that for the second year in a row cancelled the academy for "lack of funds" (9M euros apparently not enough?), though at least improved the recruitment network. Academy now set to rise in 2015, so until then regens=hopeless.

One thing that worries me is that now my (horrible) youth products tend to be more italian than sammarinese (which didn't happen in the past), probably because my staff are mostly italian. So for the future keep an eye on sammarinese coaches & scouts, as I suspect their nationality strongly affects regens' nationality as well. There's a great SM coach named Bonini (won't sign in lower leagues), signed immediately after that!

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

Starting this right now, You have inspired me to do this dude, Well done :)

Glad to hear that, welcome aboard and good luck :)

Hey guys, I started this challenge about a week ago and have got San Marino in to Serie B. At the moment I just kicked off the 2013/2014 season, yet to win a game in 4. Last season I scraped relegation by a point on the last day, I only scored 31 goals last season (joint least) but only conceded 47, so I had to buy better strikers in the summer (with no money).

I have just changed my formation to a 4-3-3, from a 4-1-2-1-2 (wide), and look much better attacking wise and I think I can manage mid table.

The thread on 'Approaching Serie B' was very helpful, so thanks kandersson.

P.S. I would upload some screenshots, but I'm still working on that.

congratulations to all fellow Titani managers moving up divisions and good luck to all newly appointed in C2!

@The_special_13: no problem man, glad I could give some help! keep us posted with updates & hopefully some screens

@OmegaKnight: it's a long road but start is promising for sure, keep going!

@hellroker: well done mate, and that youngster Tejera really looks like an intriguing prospect... as a coach ;)

I'm so glad that others have joined this thread! I'm in the middle of the season now, have to study for college also so there is not much time to play. I am 8th and only one point away from EC spot. So I hope I could take that placce which will bring glory to our beloved club!

View attachment 127158

Here is the brightest talent of San Marino... And I am soooooo close to signing his mentor! He is one of the best strikers in Serie A, if not the best in real life! Any guesses? :D