The Great San Marino Challenge

• Thread starter Thread starter kandersson
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 471K
So I set myself the expectations of a top half finish which turned out to be slightly misguided but only slightly.
League Table:
zsNdL.png

As you can see I finished 14th which was just below expectations but this was due to a great late charge in the second half of the season after a poor first half.

Second Half Of The Season :
xO81h.png

Robbie Brady is God :wub::
GrOg0.png

A great season for me with lots of vital goals

And to top it off he gets this in a newly promoted team
qUukF.png

A Historic Club Legend:
C4qPD.png

Hit 20 goals in the league with a brace on the last day which was a bittersweet moment as it earned him a 12k bonus.

San Marino's Future King:

I look through the ***** I usually get and see this guy.
YEKRU.png
gfsPw.png

Looks like there will be no danger of an Italy cap either.

Transfers:
Iq8le.png

Got rid of alot so that my first team and youth squad are down to the bare bones.

Managed to get a really good player midseason with lots of potential
KJqvA.png
JcvTJ.png

Well thats my season, will post my best 11 when its available.

Last edited:
the regen looks great but C.Zanetti is a ****! this had to be said ;)

when a 17 year old is already in italy U19 it means he'll probably stick around in italy's youth teams and earn caps at U21 and possibly U23 level as well. This doesn't mean he will ever get a cap with Italy senior squad though, that depends on how his career and attributes evolve. He'll most likely reject San Marino at least until 23-24, but he might eventually accpet a call up if he realises he's not being considered by italy. You must wait and see.

btw, how come he's at Parma (apparently not in co-ownership) in a screen of 2012, then he's at San Marino in 2013???

Ah because i usually holiday the first month or so of pre-season till the "real" pre-season kicks off and the i can start having friendlys again and while i was on holiday the first time round Parma came in and offered him a contract because he was still on a youth contract im sure and i hadn't offered him a new one.

I was planning on making a rage thread about Parma had stolen my San Marino gem but i decided to bite the bullet and start my last save that toke me back to March/April. Below is a screenshot of his playing histroy to legitimize my post ofcourse.
fm2011-11-1717-40-02-36.jpg

Currently got 4 subs excluding my sub goalie and 2 trials. I'm already about £3k over the wage budget, completely at a loss as to what to do and I'll probably have to move some of my best and most expensive players to bring in some cheaper ones.

Currently about to start the 2nd season (Serie C1/B)

View attachment 203876

Oh what shall I do :(

Last edited:
Try offering your old players new contracts and see if any of them will accept good rates, request board for more funds, have a look at your youth team for anyone who is around 2 stars CA so that they can be used as subs. If a player has 1.5-2.5 current ability and 3.5+ potential ability they're good choices for first team football. Leave them in the youth team until you get an injury which requires a sub, and then have your main sub replace the injured player and the youth guy on the bench. I'd say you need to have about 22-23 players who you are confident enough to put on the pitch. 5 or 6 of these should have good potential and should be players you're developing, while the others should be suitable to play in the first 11 on a regular basis if necessary. A vast majority of your wages are taken up by 5 players, if you can't find any youth players to be used for squad depth I would probably sell 2 of these.

2013-2014 Season
Serie B - 4th Place Finish
View attachment 203981
After double promotion in my first 2 seasons, Serie B initially was about survival. Get a decent place around 12th or so then continue to build and win promotion next season. However, my home form was superb winning 16, drawing 2 and losing only 3 games. My away form wasn't anything special, but that's okay. We ended up finishing 4th and playing against Padova in the Playoff first round. Unfortunately, half my first team were on international duty for both legs, so I lost rather convincingly (5-2 on aggregate). ******. Almost made the Straight A's achievement.

Gulraiz was a superstar this season (once again) winning the Golden Boot for the second year running (Serie C1/A and Serie B). He would have won all three seasons in a row if it weren't for my other striker Scorza winning it in Serie C2/A (Gulraiz placed in 2nd).
View attachment 203982
However, as you can tell, he was sold (Chairman decision) for €850K. Not really worth it, but I really needed the money. Finances were starting to get really tricky for me. As demonstrated below.
View attachment 203983
I am yet to upgrade any facility at San Marino. That includes training and youth facilities as well the stadium. We still don't even have ownership of it. Only 4,500 seats. I had 13 sell out games this season though. Which still didn't help my finances.

Now I need a new target man upfront. I have one guy I'm after (free transfer - unemployed) but he won't open discussions with me. Will have to wait and hope that no one signs him till the season starts.

I am yet to take over the NT job but my young Sammarinese prospect is coming along really well.
Before (2012):
View attachment 203984
After (2014):
View attachment 203985
Massive improvement. He is virtually improving every month due to his constant first team football exposure. :P However, I have a theory that the refs hate him - if there was a record for the amount of goals and assists disallowed because of offside, Mengucci would have that record.

Last edited:
2013-2014 Season
Serie B - 4th Place Finish
View attachment 203981
After double promotion in my first 2 seasons, Serie B initially was about survival. Get a decent place around 12th or so then continue to build and win promotion next season. However, my home form was superb winning 16, drawing 2 and losing only 3 games. My away form wasn't anything special, but that's okay. We ended up finishing 4th and playing against Padova in the Playoff first round. Unfortunately, half my first team were on international duty for both legs, so I lost rather convincingly (5-2 on aggregate). ******. Almost made the Straight A's achievement.

Gulraiz was a superstar this season (once again) winning the Golden Boot for the second year running (Serie C1/A and Serie B). He would have won all three seasons in a row if it weren't for my other striker Scorza winning it in Serie C2/A (Gulraiz placed in 2nd).
View attachment 203982
However, as you can tell, he was sold (Chairman decision) for €850K. Not really worth it, but I really needed the money. Finances were starting to get really tricky for me. As demonstrated below.
View attachment 203983
I am yet to upgrade any facility at San Marino. That includes training and youth facilities as well the stadium. We still don't even have ownership of it. Only 4,500 seats. I had 13 sell out games this season though. Which still didn't help my finances.

Now I need a new target man upfront. I have one guy I'm after (free transfer - unemployed) but he won't open discussions with me. Will have to wait and hope that no one signs him till the season starts.

I am yet to take over the NT job but my young Sammarinese prospect is coming along really well.
Before (2012):
View attachment 203984
After (2014):
View attachment 203985
Massive improvement. He is virtually improving every month due to his constant first team football exposure. :P However, I have a theory that the refs hate him - if there was a record for the amount of goals and assists disallowed because of offside, Mengucci would have that record.

great season mate, very close to promotion in first year. I'm astonished at the improvements of that regen, I have a couple of 4-star prospects progressing nicely but that was something special! Are you using specific training schedule? workload? anything else you can share???

yeah, spills the beans!!! **** thats some improvement!

great season mate, very close to promotion in first year. I'm astonished at the improvements of that regen, I have a couple of 4-star prospects progressing nicely but that was something special! Are you using specific training schedule? workload? anything else you can share???

Nah dude. No special training schedules or workload. I use several different formations depending on opposition and my own players availability (injuries, fitness, suspensions, international duties etc.) I mainly use a basic 4-4-2 formation with Mengucci playing in the Box to Box midfield role (MCL) and sometimes in the MCR role as an attacking Midfielder or when I use a 4-1-3-2 or 4-1-2-1-2 I play him in the DM role as he is suited in.

In regards to individual training, I specifically focused on improving his quickness for the first season which is why his acceleration, stamina and pace have made the greatest improvements and are now his biggest asset. A fast DM is always handy to have.

The biggest "secret" is that I have played in him in every game (either starting 11 or subbed on around the 65-70th minute) that he has been available for. Game time/ exposure is the best way to develop youngsters. When I first recruited him I put him in the first team and would sub him on every game - giving him 20 minutes per game. Eventually he was good enough to start in the first 11 so I would start him. Same thing happened this season in Serie B. Started the first half of the season on the bench, then became a usual starter. He would play average to below average (5.80-6.90 rating per game) but it didn't matter. I'll put up a screenshot soon of his history to demonstrate how many appearances he's had for me. It's already starting to pay off. In the last game of the regular season he played extremely well, getting 3 assists against Serie B winners Torino. Not bad at all.

I also managed to sign a nice DM/M(C) player on a free this season who has agreed to tutor him. Hopefully that will help him develop further. :D

Also, NT exposure has no doubt helped him develop as well. However, for some ridiculous reason, the NT coach has decided to drop Mengucci from the NT team as of late, putting him back in the U21's. I reckon he is currently the best Sammarinese player in the world!! What gives?!?!

Nah dude. No special training schedules or workload. I use several different formations depending on opposition and my own players availability (injuries, fitness, suspensions, international duties etc.) I mainly use a basic 4-4-2 formation with Mengucci playing in the Box to Box midfield role (MCL) and sometimes in the MCR role as an attacking Midfielder or when I use a 4-1-3-2 or 4-1-2-1-2 I play him in the DM role as he is suited in.

In regards to individual training, I specifically focused on improving his quickness for the first season which is why his acceleration, stamina and pace have made the greatest improvements and are now his biggest asset. A fast DM is always handy to have.

The biggest "secret" is that I have played in him in every game (either starting 11 or subbed on around the 65-70th minute) that he has been available for. Game time/ exposure is the best way to develop youngsters. When I first recruited him I put him in the first team and would sub him on every game - giving him 20 minutes per game. Eventually he was good enough to start in the first 11 so I would start him. Same thing happened this season in Serie B. Started the first half of the season on the bench, then became a usual starter. He would play average to below average (5.80-6.90 rating per game) but it didn't matter. I'll put up a screenshot soon of his history to demonstrate how many appearances he's had for me. It's already starting to pay off. In the last game of the regular season he played extremely well, getting 3 assists against Serie B winners Torino. Not bad at all.

I also managed to sign a nice DM/M(C) player on a free this season who has agreed to tutor him. Hopefully that will help him develop further. :D

Also, NT exposure has no doubt helped him develop as well. However, for some ridiculous reason, the NT coach has decided to drop Mengucci from the NT team as of late, putting him back in the U21's. I reckon he is currently the best Sammarinese player in the world!! What gives?!?!

thanks mate. Sometimes playing a 15-16 years old too much too soon might actually harm youth players development but it obviously worked in that case! I'm most impressed with pace improvements as that always seems the hardest to increase for me.

can you post a screen of his training schedule please, I'd like to try with a couple of my youngsters like guinea pigs :P

though sometimes this game makes me think improvements are already written in single players DNA regardless of training schedules.

thanks mate. Sometimes playing a 15-16 years old too much too soon might actually harm youth players development but it obviously worked in that case! I'm most impressed with pace improvements as that always seems the hardest to increase for me.
can you post a screen of his training schedule please, I'd like to try with a couple of my youngsters like guinea pigs :P

Here you go. Here's his current training schedule (which I haven't touched).
View attachment 204001

Also here are his appearances over the past 2 seasons to give an idea of how frequently I play him.
View attachment 204002View attachment 204003

Hopefully that helps. :D

Has anyone had any luck with getting a Parent club or a feeder club? I have been requesting for both since the start and even canceled the current links with still no luck:(

board reduced my wage budget for this season even further. Working with barebones now. only 1 LB and 1 RB in my first team squad.

Has anyone had any luck with getting a Parent club or a feeder club? I have been requesting for both since the start and even canceled the current links with still no luck:(

before teh start of teh first season i got real rimini as a feeder club without having to terminate any links.

I'm fine at getting feeder clubs, I've had requests accepted 4 times. Parent club seems harder but Cesena are still in Serie A for me so they're pretty useful.

the board seemed to accept quite often for me, though I often rejected their options. When I was in C1A I had two feeder clubs, Vibonese in C2 and Trapani in C1B.

Parent club Cesena not only is still in serie A, but managed an amazing 2nd place (!) in 2013/14 and I suspect our excellent scouting knowledge ("passed" to them as feeder club) helped them quite a bit...

2nd Season, Coming into my second season and i've had my wage budget reduced to 27K meaning i had to realease alot of/all of my subs and first team players in hope to find cheaper younger ones to replace them with, anyway i have signed 3 regends this season so far which i am very happy with i plan on giving them all alot of first team experience this season in cup games and to cover my gaps as i have a small team thus far!

Amato - First choice sub for center midfield, will also be playing a few cup games i should imagine

View attachment 204055View attachment 204078

Barbato - can play left or right back will be used as a possible first choice sub

View attachment 204056View attachment 204079

Baudouin - One of the best regens i found to date was suprised to see he wanted to come to me, will be playing in first team a center back hoping i can keep hold of him for years to come have high hopes also left footed center back

View attachment 204057View attachment 204080

Last edited:
Hi guys. I'm in my 2nd season now, loving this challenge. I won everything first season but the finances are very bad (€-600.000). I have good team to get a promotion but its going to be a bit tough.
Anyway i got a HUGE promising sanmarinese player :wub:

View attachment 204096

Hi guys. I'm in my 2nd season now, loving this challenge. I won everything first season but the finances are very bad (€-600.000). I have good team to get a promotion but its going to be a bit tough.
Anyway i got a HUGE promising sanmarinese player :wub:

View attachment 204096

Awesome player, nice skin too. what is it?

Back