The Great San Marino Challenge

• Thread starter Thread starter kandersson
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 471K
2029-2030 Season (16th year in Serie A, 2nd with only Sammerines)

LEAGUE: It can't be true, can it? I know last year we were picked to win the league, but that wasn't including all the people that left, but even this year we were still favorite to win it all. We would do that as well even if it came down to the last game (were up by 2 points). We even won Champs League. I don't know if that was more shocking or that the Semi's were actually the top four in the standings in Serie A (which I never seen before). Tells you really how good Serie A has turned into. Or that every other league is just that bad.

NATIONAL TEAM: Finally!!! Finally!!! Didn't win the first place, cause that went to England who didn't lose a game in our group and only had one tie and that was to the third place team, but we did finish second and finally won the playoff games.

OTHER NATIONAL NEWS

View attachment 241797View attachment 241802

Finally starting to breakdown the big boys and making some ruckus. Question now is how far can we go. The national team has taken huge strides over the past three years, and it would end not only with our best ranking to date, but the first friendly invite from another team. Not only is that impressive it is from a top 3 team, and things are looking bright. We would lose 1-3 in the game, but we did pick up a red card so it looked better than what it was.

View attachment 241807

We were in the second pot, and the first team to be picked from the first pot was Italy. We couldn't possibility end up in Italy, and we secretly wanted to be in the group. Odds weren't that great, especially since we haven't played Italy in over 6 years as well. Our secret thoughts were answered! Finally after three straight offers from Italy we will finally face off on the big stage, and was it smart that I didn't go there or will it be a thorn in my side?

I thought it would be better to take an attacking player (AMC, AM) and turn them into a midfielder instead of of CB's. Or is it better to get a CB to play as a CM? I never though about that and how long does it take for them to learn the midfield?

not sure how long it would take, but it depends on what role you want the newly trained cm to play. CB's tend to have good tackling, marking and positioning skills which would be helpful for a DM anchor man or CM ball winning mid, but AM's tend to be better going forward and share more roles with cm's like advanced playmaker and could make decent defensive playmaker's aswell. i'm not really sure which would make a better box to box as you'd need a good all around player, so either a CB with decent attack stats, or a AM with decent defending stats, but whichever it was would definately need good work rate, stamina and natural fitness as it's one of the most taxing roles to play.

2030 World Cup Roster

So everyone can see the youth I am going into the world cup. Despite the youth most of them have at least played 2 seasons in Serie A for my team. When I say starter I mean on my club team. Without further ado...

GK

View attachment 241814

4th year on team, 2nd as starter

DEFENDERS

View attachment 241817

13th year (2 yrs on loan), 4 year starter

View attachment 241818

10th year, 4 year starter

View attachment 241819

15th year (release first year, signed for 6.75M 2 seasons ago), 2nd yr starter

View attachment 241820

13th year (loaned for 5 yrs), 3rd year starter

MIDFIELDERS

View attachment 241821

3rd year, 1 year starter

View attachment 241823

11th year (1 year on loan), 3rd year starter

View attachment 241824

8th year, 7 year starter Best San Marino player I ever had in my eyes

View attachment 241826

5th year, 3rd year starter

STRIKERS

View attachment 241827

2nd year, 1st year starter

View attachment 241828

7th year, 4 year starter ​Has 38 goals in 54 NT APP.

not sure how long it would take, but it depends on what role you want the newly trained cm to play. CB's tend to have good tackling, marking and positioning skills which would be helpful for a DM anchor man or CM ball winning mid, but AM's tend to be better going forward and share more roles with cm's like advanced playmaker and could make decent defensive playmaker's aswell. i'm not really sure which would make a better box to box as you'd need a good all around player, so either a CB with decent attack stats, or a AM with decent defending stats, but whichever it was would definately need good work rate, stamina and natural fitness as it's one of the most taxing roles to play.

I still might do this, but I am just letting my crappy midfielders I have not to get some playing time (usually cost me league games), but I give them some time to get them to improve their stats. If I am still hurting I will do this, actually might take one defender who probably won't ever play for me and make him a DM so I can have a backup for my DM spot.

congrats Choices, some good players there especially defenders, though I'm not sure I could win Serie A with that squad, well done! The GK and ST look fantastic though.

could you post a screen of your squad (with players' nationality) so I can confirm the cantera policy achievements? also I guess you also have the "local hero" achievement at this point?

good luck with World Cup, I'm still preparing the 2022 WC in my save ;)

Update on my game

Well, just about to start the 2022/2023 season and we are completely dominant as a club at this point. We have now won 6 Serie A trophy's in a row, 3 champions league, 2 European Super Cups amongst others. Been trying to bring some Sammanirese talent into the first team squad in the past couple of seasons, with Record national team goalscorer D'Aniello boasting around 50 league goals for the club now. Got some great prospects in the past couple of seasons, including a goalkeeper who is fully Samanirese and has the potential to play at a similar level as my club goalkeeper. Here are my four best prospects who are fully Sammanirese:

View attachment 241920View attachment 241921View attachment 241922View attachment 241923

The national team is still struggling in competitive football. The problem seems to be that we have many players in similar positions whereas certain positions are still occupied by very poor players. Add this to the fact that key players always seem to pick up injuries before qualifiers and this is probably the reason we are still struggling. I think we are still 3 or 4 years away from being able to launch a serious attempt at qualifying for a tournament. Here's my latest World Cup qualifying group and my upcoming European Championship Qualifying Group.

View attachment 241924View attachment 241925

Scotty I think I had the exact same record as you with the national club. My team is getting dominate now, but I guess that is what should happen when I let youth players play on the senior squad. I wish my defenders started out that good. Benedini looks like a beast. I would start him on your senior squad (or at least half the games) and take the lumps, but he would turn into a beast. That and tutor every chance you get with him.

Can't wait for this season to be over. I'm racing through it now. Have dropped from 2nd to 5th and it looks like I'm going to keep dropping at this rate, can barely score...
I want my new players next season. Waaaaah. :'(

EDIT: In current match, away at 13th placed Siena, have had one injury to CB, RB has been sent off for 2 yellows, which is his 3rd red card this season. I hate him. I think I may have to pull out all of the "destroying a player's career" moves which I posted earlier... I don't care if it costs me money or games, he will never play again.

Last edited:
Love this challenge, and reading all of your updates. Great work.

I'd have a go at it myself but I think I will be disowned by my gf

View attachment 242187View attachment 242188View attachment 242189

so this is the kind of domination that is making life at club slightly boring. San Marino winning everything everywhere, and striker Alex raping Serie A year after year (teammate Fabio beat him to win world Player of the Year though). Would like to implement the famous cantera policy like Choices is doing, though 2022 might be a little too early for that. Plus, I don't want to use dual nationality players until I can cap them with the NT :P

of course NT is best part of the challenge atm, finally completed club season 2021/22 so I'm ready for World Cup now! Our current team is slightly better than the EURO 2020 one, though once again I'm not expecting much from the tournament: San Marino still have much to learn at international level - and many dual nationality superstars still rejecting the call-up, that is.

Last edited:
Season Report 2015/16, 2nd in Serie A

An annoying 5th. After a dreadful run before the last 5 games of 4 straight losses, scoring only one goal in the process, we bounced back winning another 4 in a row, including 5-0 vs parent club Cesena, before losing to Roma on the last day of the season. We could have come 2nd and qualified for the CL, but other results had to go our way (and we had to win).

View attachment 242245

Squad:

View attachment 242246

I'll be thinking about getting Rodrigao back on a permanent deal, or even a loan again for another season as he was in fine form at the back end of the season, with two hattricks in the last 5 matches.

Stadium was only expanded by another 1500 seats which will bring it to 7000 upon completion.
Youth facilities also being constructed.

Basically I'm disappointed in this season, no consistency and no CL which was what I really wanted, especially considering we were challenging for the title for much of the season. The money from CL is what I really need to get the club going forward properly, and without it we're probably going to be stuck around the same place next year, maybe a little higher, depending on how well the new signings settle in and perform.

These are said new signings, on frees from the Spanish giants.

View attachment 242239View attachment 242240View attachment 242241View attachment 242242View attachment 242243

Not quite sure what's going to happen exactly with my first team, but I think it'll be Jese starting on the left, Morata up front as lone striker, and Carvajal will become new 1st choice RB. Also searching for a new LB.

Releasing quite a few players at the end of their contracts as no one wanted them at all, and it'll save me some money.

NT-wise, it's been pretty dire, apart from 1 goal friendly victories against Mauritius and American Samoa, hardly powerhouses. I think I'm just going to not care for a while!

My SM team are dominating again, won Trofeo Federale way back at the start, then Coppa Titano and am 4-0 up in the first leg of the semi-finals of the playoffs, which is actually playing as I write this! Basically we look good for the league again!

Hoping for a more productive season next year!

Kandersson I would recommend using all Sammarines players in like 2026 or 2027. Then again my squad didn't start getting good players until then, and I never even dreamed about having making it with the NT like you are doing during that time. It's a little rough, especially if you have injuries to key players and/or going on slumps against the worst teams in the league, but there is something about growing fond on just Sammarines players. Plus it actually made me think about league games more than just "oh here is another league game, why can't I play in champs league or work with my NT".

Commando your league standings look like mine. Always a tight race till the end with like 4-5 times vying for that top spot. Also nice job on the free's, and I had big success in doing that every year and if they do well they jump in value so if you have a young player behind them or not just sell them off at the end of the year for some more money. Don't just always do that like I did cause then a tycoon will probably take over and then the league will lose all appeal (which is why I only use Sammarines players now). From the standings and the new players even with some injuries I see you getting to CL next year.

Kandersson I would recommend using all Sammarines players in like 2026 or 2027. Then again my squad didn't start getting good players until then, and I never even dreamed about having making it with the NT like you are doing during that time. It's a little rough, especially if you have injuries to key players and/or going on slumps against the worst teams in the league, but there is something about growing fond on just Sammarines players. Plus it actually made me think about league games more than just "oh here is another league game, why can't I play in champs league or work with my NT".

yeah 2026/27 might be a good call. I do have some very good SM players right now, but probably not the depth to face a whole season - even snubbing Italian Cup and CL. Also I wouldn't like to use dual nationality stars (and I have A LOT) until I get them capped with SM, as they'd likely be selected by Italy senior team if they play and do well for a top club like San Marino. NT always comes first!

These are current best players (Sammarinese or dual nationality) that I'd be comfortable playing for a legit Serie A contender:

View attachment 242269View attachment 242270View attachment 242274View attachment 242272View attachment 242271View attachment 242280View attachment 242275View attachment 242277View attachment 242276View attachment 242278View attachment 242279

the Italian youth internationals are really good, with the GK being touted as next Buffon and a DC being next Baresi. Like I've said other times ST Paolone could easily win Serie A top scorer as a starter, I called him back from loan for final day of the league and he bagged two goals against 2nd placed Fiorentina... if my theories are correct he should accept call-up in about 6 months when he turns 24, can't wait to unleash the beast after freezing him for all these years :P

2030-2031 Season (17th year in Serie A, 3rd with Sammarines)

LEAGUE: Second straight league title. Despite the record this season we could of been undefeated, and when I say undefeated we could of been 24-13-1. Four of our losses we had the lead where they would equalize and then the goal they would win by was an own goals. Only one game and that was A.C. Milan at their place where we lost 0-4, and one of those goals was an own goals. WE NEED TO STOP GIVING UP OWN GOALS!!!

View attachment 242293View attachment 242294

Finally took a picture of what I needed. Casadei again finishes up second for goals in Serie A with 24 (4 behind leader) and still missed like 3 weeks of the season. So close to actually probably leading and he is our stud up top although we do have other people who can play striker for us.

View attachment 242295View attachment 242296

NATIONAL TEAM:I though I was taking pictures of the World Cup, but apparently I didn't. So I took a picture of the games.

WHAT WE KNOW:
Our squad is getting good. Sure we can dominate most teams (any team ranked 12th or higher), as that was evident that we sneaked past the group stages. We got lucky in our later draws in the World Cup. First was Ivory Coast (#17), then Uruguay (#13). First time in the world cup with an average of 22 years old and already making it to the Semi's of the World Cup. We would face off against a top ten team in France. The third place game we would face off against Holland, another top ten team, and we would nearly miss it as we fell 1-3 in shootout.

WHAT WE LEARNED:
Now ranked after World Cup at #13, and with a couple of losses (one to England in the new year) we are now back to #19. We got some promising young players finally after a year of no one was good. They are not great by any means, but are good for backups and/or players in cup games.

WHAT TO COME:
I don't think we will ever drop below 30 anymore. In two years we should be able to beat Italy, despite us losing by 3 in the World Cup this year, and that is a statement I will stand by. I need to get better now in depth for our national team, and if it was just starter for starter I think we could match up against any team in the world. Problem is injuries and when that happens at certain positions there is a huge drop off (GK, DC, M). Things are looking great though.

OFF-SEASON AND OTHER NEWS

View attachment 242297

Now accept the fact that I will never reach 2 billion for richest club. Just will never happen since this always happens when I get even close to 1.5 billion.

View attachment 242298

How sweet will this be in 3 years time. Our team should be stacked as most of the players will be in their prime. Some of our defense will be up in age (at least 30 or older), but will be amazing if we can make the finals and play at home with just all Sammarines.

View attachment 242299

Last year it was very close with the top four teams. Does this mean we should again be getting bored of playing league games since it will be easy. As Chris Berman says on ESPN, "Not so fast!" Again our depth and bench players aren't that good, and well even if it is easy won't be that difficult since it is fun trying to build up these Sammarines players and seeing how World Class they can become.​

brilliant news in my pennarossa game, at the start of the 2016/2017 season i got this message in my inbox

View attachment 241543

so to those of you who are playing in the Campionato Sammarinese it doesn't take too long, and seeing as pennarossa aren't the best team at the start of the game some of you mightbe able to undercut me by a season. so after 5 years in charge it looks like things are finally starting to progress, hopefully it won't be too long before i manage to turn fully pro.

I assume you are winning the 3 Sammarinese trophies every year, but how are you doing in the Champions League? And have you or any of the other Sammarinese clubs prosuced nything approaching a decent regen?

wow World Cup semifinals in 2030 are a fantastic result, congratulations Choices also for all the extra achievements!

@julianchelmsford: I don't have SM league active in my game anyway Tre Penne produced two good players in first 2-3 years, and they've been NT regulars all these years (I'm in 2022 now and they're still part of NT). Strangely Tre Penne - or any other SM club - never produced decent players since then despite dramatic improvements of club and league reputation (Campionato Sammarinese ranked 99th in world competitions as of 2022, I think it was like 900th back in 2011...)

I assume you are winning the 3 Sammarinese trophies every year, but how are you doing in the Champions League? And have you or any of the other Sammarinese clubs prosuced nything approaching a decent regen?

at the start of the save I was producing players that could play for me but since we started improving i've only got squad players that can come in and play the odd game. There was one kid who was something special and despite turning semi pro and bringing in former youth players from the likes of roma and the milan clubs could still become a 3* centre mid which is where i've got the most signed italians due to producing next to nothing there, however juvenus dogana poached him from me after the first year in my youth team and despite having me listed as favoured personnel he isn't interested in coming back yet. i'm hoping the success i've had on the league stage might help convince him as we are extremely dominent.

and yeah i've won all 3 trophies most years, there was 1 weak year where we went out in the 1/4 finals of the cup but won the league and first year we struggled but apart from that the only domestic trophy we haven't won was last year's league and that's because i gifted it to domagnano in the final. having to play keepers up front and a striker in goal to give them the edge. that was a tactical move to try and crack europe, and it worked in getting me to the third qualifying round of the europa league, which is definately further then i would have got in the champions league. although the lpan almost backfired as it was down to the last to matches in the first qualifying round draw and being unseeded if i wasn't drawn then i would have been facing everton who i can only assume were in the first qualifying round due to the fair play tables.

luckily i've got a young team that is set to improve so i shouldn't need to make many signings and can keep the money for improved facilities/ turning pro. (my oldest play is 26 and he's only a squad player, oldest regular starter just turned 23 and that's one fo my stikers with the other just a few months behind him.)

at the start of the save I was producing players that could play for me but since we started improving i've only got squad players that can come in and play the odd game. There was one kid who was something special and despite turning semi pro and bringing in former youth players from the likes of roma and the milan clubs could still become a 3* centre mid which is where i've got the most signed italians due to producing next to nothing there, however juvenus dogana poached him from me after the first year in my youth team and despite having me listed as favoured personnel he isn't interested in coming back yet. i'm hoping the success i've had on the league stage might help convince him as we are extremely dominent.

and yeah i've won all 3 trophies most years, there was 1 weak year where we went out in the 1/4 finals of the cup but won the league and first year we struggled but apart from that the only domestic trophy we haven't won was last year's league and that's because i gifted it to domagnano in the final. having to play keepers up front and a striker in goal to give them the edge. that was a tactical move to try and crack europe, and it worked in getting me to the third qualifying round of the europa league, which is definately further then i would have got in the champions league. although the lpan almost backfired as it was down to the last to matches in the first qualifying round draw and being unseeded if i wasn't drawn then i would have been facing everton who i can only assume were in the first qualifying round due to the fair play tables.

luckily i've got a young team that is set to improve so i shouldn't need to make many signings and can keep the money for improved facilities/ turning pro. (my oldest play is 26 and he's only a squad player, oldest regular starter just turned 23 and that's one fo my stikers with the other just a few months behind him.)

Could you post some screenies of your key players, facilties, finances, league rep etc. please?

Great Start!

We've made a great start to our Euro 2024 qualifying group, with a 6-1 hammering of the Faroe Island and a couple of late goals securing a 3-0 victory over Slovakia. Star striker Raffaele D'Aniello scored 7 goals in the two games and is really reaping the rewards of being a regular in the matchday squad for the club. Could we finally be able to challange for qualification? Well.... probably not as we have only beat the two worst teams in the group and have Germany and Switzerland to play twice but regardless it is nice to be looking at teams below me for a change! :D

View attachment 242398View attachment 242399View attachment 242400

Also, these results combined with a few friendly victories have shot us up to a record 36th in the world, however I can safely say we are not actually the 36th best national team in the world haha!​

Last edited:
Back