The Great San Marino Challenge

Oh I see does not sound so hard now. Yeah i like long challenges anyway, now my Man City team is boring to play as I am going to be more inclined to take on a long challenge such as this from the start. Polular challenges are always better cause you get to compare your team with others.

Just hope i dont forget about this, I would start it now but with FM 13 so near I would never be able to reach many of the goals set.

Oh don't let me fool you this is hard. If you don't know how to use a small team this is impossible. You won't be able to get promotions easily (players are way different than your normal teams), so if you can't earn promotion (which I barely won my leagues coming up) you will be doomed. You will be starting over a lot. I am use to playing with terrible teams where you are lucky to sign a decent player in real life when they are 30 and on the decline (played in leagues like Austrialia, Iceland, low teams like A.D. Alcorcon in Spanish where their stadium is only 3000K to start i believe or maybe it's just 1000, tier 10 in EPL, MLS).

Currently playing in the San Marino league and I curse Sammy's name all the time for creating it. Sure I am walking through the league but just getting my **** kicked left and right in Champs league, but starting to break through now (am in year 2027). He probably hates me for all the messages I send him. But there is something about taking over a terrible team, or league, and put in your tears, blood and sweat and creating something amazing.

For example I will change up a guy or two (or just the formation from game to game) like to make a player play wider or narrower, different target man, or just in a different position and you will get "great change of tactics for that win". One thing I am good at though at this game is finances and formations. I never had the top goal scorer in the lower leagues, or even won the League Cup with San Marino Club until I hit Serie A in a season or two. Some people are great at finding that one person or formation that everything clicks. I just know what to look for for people to play in terrible leagues which is why everyone thinks I made this challenge easy. I will let you know it was far from easy. You should try it though on this year's game even before the new one comes out to see what it is like. If anything think of it as a trial run for next year's game. Sure the NT sucks (and yes I would consider a win if I loss by 5 for the first seven years I was coach) and you have your pains, but it is just beautiful and worth it when you actually can win your first game or even tie for that matter. Or calling up the first guy on your squad from your team.

Last edited:
PLAYERS YOU MUST SIGN IN YOUR FIRST SEASON

GK:
Carlo Sciarrone

DEF:
Andrea Manucci
Jony Lopez
Nicola Mora

MID:
Nicola Mingazzini
Sodinha

ST:
Mohammed Gulraiz
Enzo Scorza
Fausto Rossini
i would also include fabrice jau in your list but sciarrone was brilliant for me

Also when you do start it look like what Brigate and everyone else says who they bough the first year or two and to see what type of players you need to bring in and what type of formations you want to run with in the lower leagues. There is adjusting that needs to be done if you play with teams like Man Utd or Real Madrid. Heck still teams like Fulham and Leeds will still be an adjustment. Also learn the league. Where do you make your money (most of the problems where people run across) and pay attention to actually who is the good teams in the league and the bad teams to rest your players or whatnot.

This is more of a game inside a game. Sure you play as a big team, even when San Marino gets big you will fall into this trap, of just not really worrying about your current lineups or subs, to even what the next couple of games are. Lower leagues you have to choose who do you really want to strive for. The league Cup or make a push for just first place in the league. Do you rest certain players for a match or two cause you have a cup game to make money, or do you rest players in games you should win easily so the next two games that are coming up are tougher opponents on the schedule. Morale really affects players especially when you first start out so a loss against a worst team as you rest might hurt you against the bigger team although everyone is healthy. In a big club or a stable club for that (cause you won't have much of a bench or at least I don't since I try to save money) you don't have to worry but when you do start out with the club you do. Next year I might start this again just to see if I can get those top goal scorers in the lower leagues (which I didn't even come close in).

Oh don't let me fool you this is hard. If you don't know how to use a small team this is impossible. You won't be able to get promotions easily (players are way different than your normal teams), so if you can't earn promotion (which I barely won my leagues coming up) you will be doomed. You will be starting over a lot. I am use to playing with terrible teams where you are lucky to sign a decent player in real life when they are 30 and on the decline (played in leagues like Austrialia, Iceland, low teams like A.D. Alcorcon in Spanish where their stadium is only 3000K to start i believe or maybe it's just 1000, tier 10 in EPL, MLS).

Currently playing in the San Marino league and I curse Sammy's name all the time for creating it. Sure I am walking through the league but just getting my **** kicked left and right in Champs league, but starting to break through now (am in year 2027). He probably hates me for all the messages I send him. But there is something about taking over a terrible team, or league, and put in your tears, blood and sweat and creating something amazing.

For example I will change up a guy or two (or just the formation from game to game) like to make a player play wider or narrower, different target man, or just in a different position and you will get "great change of tactics for that win". One thing I am good at though at this game is finances and formations. I never had the top goal scorer in the lower leagues, or even won the League Cup with San Marino Club until I hit Serie A in a season or two. Some people are great at finding that one person or formation that everything clicks. I just know what to look for for people to play in terrible leagues which is why everyone thinks I made this challenge easy. I will let you know it was far from easy. You should try it though on this year's game even before the new one comes out to see what it is like. If anything think of it as a trial run for next year's game. Sure the NT sucks (and yes I would consider a win if I loss by 5 for the first seven years I was coach) and you have your pains, but it is just beautiful and worth it when you actually can win your first game or even tie for that matter. Or calling up the first guy on your squad from your team.

Also when you do start it look like what Brigate and everyone else says who they bough the first year or two and to see what type of players you need to bring in and what type of formations you want to run with in the lower leagues. There is adjusting that needs to be done if you play with teams like Man Utd or Real Madrid. Heck still teams like Fulham and Leeds will still be an adjustment. Also learn the league. Where do you make your money (most of the problems where people run across) and pay attention to actually who is the good teams in the league and the bad teams to rest your players or whatnot.

This is more of a game inside a game. Sure you play as a big team, even when San Marino gets big you will fall into this trap, of just not really worrying about your current lineups or subs, to even what the next couple of games are. Lower leagues you have to choose who do you really want to strive for. The league Cup or make a push for just first place in the league. Do you rest certain players for a match or two cause you have a cup game to make money, or do you rest players in games you should win easily so the next two games that are coming up are tougher opponents on the schedule. Morale really affects players especially when you first start out so a loss against a worst team as you rest might hurt you against the bigger team although everyone is healthy. In a big club or a stable club for that (cause you won't have much of a bench or at least I don't since I try to save money) you don't have to worry but when you do start out with the club you do. Next year I might start this again just to see if I can get those top goal scorers in the lower leagues (which I didn't even come close in).

Yea I have managed in lower leagues before but for some reason I never carry on with it even though I am doing well. I know Burnley is hardly a lower league team but in this fm I had a save where I started off a career unemployed spent 2 years in lowest league in Germany getting promotion 2nd season after managing to keep the German team up the first season. I then decided to resign and try and get a job in England lower league but struggling relegation candidate Burnley had approached me in the Championship, i then managed to keep them up with only 15 games remaining when i took over and then the following season I finnished 2nd. First season in prem i finnished something like 14th or 15th and then managed a Champions League place (3rd) in 2nd season in prem 4th season overall with Burnley. I then made Burnley into a power hosue of a team become ranked number 1 European team and stayed with them for 16 years not to mention my main achievement with finances always trying to make money since i started by keeping well below the budgets making them a rich status club in just 5 seasons and winning the prem with like the 4th lowest weekly wage budget spent.

I then made the mistake of moving to a different club Villareal which where my career ended even before the season started as i was not interested in this game anymore but had wished I had stayed with Wehen my orginal German team or had started with an even lower team and stuck with them to progress to glory.

So i think a scenario like this will hopefully suit me and I think I will take your advice and use this game as a trial run for the next. Although I am a bit confused the club San Marino is located in Italy the 4th tier of Italy so I take it San Marino national team is a part of Italy so born San Marino players are eligable for just San Marino and not Italy? Also I have just read that San Marino have their own football league which obviously FM wont have so how is a San Marino team in the Italian leagues? Geography was not my strong point.

Edit: I have just re read the OP and thought I saw something about San Marino League, so it is adviced to play as San Marino in Italian legaues as well as play in the San Marino league?? Is this to try an increas the rep of the San Marino league to then bring in more finance to progress the San Marino league clubs facilities and popularity etc to hopefullt produce better born Sabn Marino regens for national team? This is starting to sound more intence and challenging which brings a massive fun element into this unique game.

Last edited:
san marino is a like a principality within italy, so geographically it is within the borders of italy but has its own borders. technically it is a micro-state but operates as its own nation. as to why they have a team in the italian leagues i dont know. i would assume the italian league was created long before the sanmarinese so they entered a team then created their own football league. regen players may have dual or single nationality dependent on parents. but you will be unable to sign a young foreigner and wait for him to gain nationality as the game does not allow it for san marino so no shortcuts to NT success

Well I personally don't know the history, but I think it was that when they first started a team since the nation is so small the closest league to it was Italy. So they got the ability to play in the Italy league. All the clubs in San Marino set up by Sammy start out as Amateur league. You can load up the league if you want to play with them as well. If you don't you will still see the league just everything will be greyed out for their players and such.

As for the NT team some Italian players if they have San Marino eligibility can play for your team. Although as we all found out if they have the option to play for Italy (which most of your good guys are) they will claim to Italy and you can't get them on your team until they are 24. Same with Italy players in general who SM is second nation eligible for they still won't switch until 24.

Ok cheers guys, so have you all just loaded up the San Marino league and played as a team within that league or just had it running in the background?

It is up to you. You can play as both or well all three (SM League, San Marino, and then NT). I just did San Marino and NT. Now just on the SM league. It is all up to you. SM league is tough especially since it's easier to win the Champs league with just the club team.

If it is just a trial run i would do just the club. When the national team opens up apply, but honestly the NT will be horrible for at least 4 years.

I'm currently playing as Pennarossa in the San Marino league as I wanted to do something different and feel it's a MUCH harder challenge. My board has just agreed to go semi-pro/pro at the end of the season and I'm in 2014/2015.

i have done mine without the san marino league just loaded all players from san marino to get the NT accessible

Ok cheers guys, so have you all just loaded up the San Marino league and played as a team within that league or just had it running in the background?

i think most people have run without it, personally i'd suggest playing it because it gives and extra unique twist to the challenge as once you've completed everything you can then try and do teh same with only players from the CS or try and get both your clubs to face each other in teh champions league final.

Ok cheers lads, ill deffo load it up for FM 13 but think ill take most peoples advice and just stick with San Marino in Italy just to get a feel.

Just about to start the game, just wanted to no what passed experience i should load as, enable attributes masking or anything else i need to no except load italia leagues and all san marino nationality players??

Just seen the the squad and I have to say im impressed, i dont think promotion will be much of a challenge at all as there is a solid spine in the team. Dissapointed at the amount of staff there as I am having to mutual terminate both Physio's with only a 5 physiopherapy!! My *** man is pooh too. Also the budgets are realy good and having ballance of over £400k is solid too.

financially it won't last unless you are able to secure back to back promotions and get the tv money from serie b. but most of all good luck

Just finished my first season in Serie A, all I can say is wow.....

View attachment 258400

But onl;y received about 1.6 mill for finishing second, is that right? Seems a bit low for me.

Serie A is a walk once you have a good team, the CL is the big target, managed to win it in my 2nd year, after a big spend after losing the final the previous year.

The Sm league team, now that is a huge challenge in the CL, might take me years before I get my first point even! Managed to get to the CL group stage so the bank balance is huge now, £10m! However the board won't give me transfer funds, 'cant find the funding' seems a bit odd!
Yes - the prize money is terrible in Serie A. The TV money grows each year though and obviously CL money is the big earner.