The Help Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Jack Fulham
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 787
  • Views Views 118K
I play as portsmouth and am in the premiership in 2016. My problem is that is most games i cant hold the lead and many of my draws/losses are games that i keep throwing away.

I've tried a couple of tactics from the forums that havnt worked. Can anyone suggest one that will guarantee goals as well as having a pretty solid defence (preferably 4-5-1 but im open to whatever)

Try that Midfield domination 4-3-1-2. It works really well for me.

Or if you are always having trouble fall back to 4-4-2 and set it on counter. The individual detail for the formation depends on your players.

I have a problem, I can't seem to do anything right! I had a save with Southampton and promoted, then i was fired and took over Cardiff but failed there. So I started a new game with Newcastle, and I really liked it but the problem was that I couldn't stop losing... I think it's because I do not know what player is a poacher or what player is a winger etc. So now I really do not know which team to pick, I don't want anything easy though. I like it when it's difficult and you really try. So could you help me with choosing a team cause I really don't know, and could you help me with how I can see the best position for a player, to get the best out of them?

Thanks

And I use the LFC summer update ;)

2nd question: The player shortlists are .slf and which program do I need to use to read them?

---------- Post added 31/07/2011 at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was 30/07/2011 at 09:42 PM ----------

I have a problem, I can't seem to do anything right! I had a save with Southampton and promoted, then i was fired and took over Cardiff but failed there. So I started a new game with Newcastle, and I really liked it but the problem was that I couldn't stop losing... I think it's because I do not know what player is a poacher or what player is a winger etc. So now I really do not know which team to pick, I don't want anything easy though. I like it when it's difficult and you really try. So could you help me with choosing a team cause I really don't know, and could you help me with how I can see the best position for a player, to get the best out of them?

Thanks

And I use the LFC summer update ;)

2nd question: The player shortlists are .slf and which program do I need to use to read them?

Anyone?? Please I really need help here

Last edited:
How many leagues for start may I take? AMD Athlon Phenom(tm) II X2 555 Processor 3.20 GHz RAM : 4GB

How do i recognize Clubs that had a tycoon takeover? I'm just wondering why the Wolverhamptons are doing so well. Spending over 10+ million on transfers and 2 good Europe League seasons.

How do i recognize Clubs that had a tycoon takeover? I'm just wondering why the Wolverhamptons are doing so well. Spending over 10+ million on transfers and 2 good Europe League seasons.

In club info there is a tab called landmarks or somthing like that and any takeovers should be noted on the timeline.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Scullybug
I play as portsmouth and am in the premiership in 2016. My problem is that is most games i cant hold the lead and many of my draws/losses are games that i keep throwing away.

I've tried a couple of tactics from the forums that havnt worked. Can anyone suggest one that will guarantee goals as well as having a pretty solid defence (preferably 4-5-1 but im open to whatever)

Try that Midfield domination 4-3-1-2. It works really well for me.

Or if you are always having trouble fall back to 4-4-2 and set it on counter. The individual detail for the formation depends on your players.

Cheers mate i'll give it a go.

There's a player I really want to sign, but unfortunately I've used my one non-EU player allowance for the season. If in the transfer and contract offer screens I select 'End of Season' as the transfer date, will that delay the transfer until after the allowance resets?

Failing that, does anyone know when the Italian season begins for the purpose of the non-EU signing restriction?

i am on my first year in August and i am going to play straight to the Groups of Champions League...

My loaned backup striker broke his leg and i ve found one, that he already have played EURO CUP qualification rounds in July and August...

Will he be eligible for Champions League?

Patsch 11.3

I am standard liege in my first season. 90% of my games i am dominating but i cannot score because my strikers are awful :(:(! what can i do!
Heres my squad: View attachment 189811

I have a questions related to transfer. So it is the end of the season and several benchwarmers on my team want to be transferred. I am happy to do that, and there are a few interested clubs. My question is should I sell them now before the season end? Or should I wait until the new season so that I get to reuse the transfer profit on new players? This is only my second season so I am not sure if the board will take away leftover transfer money or not.....

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

new to series

alright fellows. I'm new to this series, and have having a lot of trouble. I started a game with philly union and pretty much tried to set tactics similar to how the team plays in real life. i have lost 4-0, 6-0, 4-0, and tied 0-0 so far. i even tried to set the tactics to a more basic system, and tried letting the assistant coach set up tactics.

I have zero goals in 4 games. and i've only managed 10 shots on goal.

what are the important parts of the game that you MUST do to win matches, and is there any kind of tutorial?

Last edited:
I have a questions related to transfer. So it is the end of the season and several benchwarmers on my team want to be transferred. I am happy to do that, and there are a few interested clubs. My question is should I sell them now before the season end? Or should I wait until the new season so that I get to reuse the transfer profit on new players? This is only my second season so I am not sure if the board will take away leftover transfer money or not.....

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.​

Which club are you playing as?
Does it have any debts?
What is the clubs account balance?

If you have some debt then you could sell them before the end of season and that money can be used to pay some debt and may also gain you a bit more transfer budget next season.

Simple question: Is there any positive influence on my finances if i don't spent all my transfer money ?

I have been playing Football Manager for reasonably long time, I remember I bought my first game in 2006. In all that time, the success I've had on Football Manager has not been at all good. I've only won 2 or 3 trophies, and almost every game I play goes something like this: start game, buy good players/wonderkids (e.g, on my last game with Arsenal, I purchased Eden Hazard, Falcao, and Gary Cahill), win all friendlies comfortably, win first game of the season convincingly, and from then on I lose or draw and cannot seem to find a win from anywhere. This is even more frustrating as, for example playing as Arsenal, I lost to a ten man Tottenham in the dying seconds. After several matches like this, what normally happens is I predictably quit (even though I know one of the golden rules of Football Manager is never to quit, I just can't help it).

Sometimes, I do have some success in the first season. I did a game at Celtic for example and I won the SPL, but from then on, everything went bad. The second season I could only win the Scottish Cup, and the third season I kept losing, and again I quit. You also have to remember that this was in Scotland, so if I didn't win something with Celtic, there really was no hope.

So this is the way I see it: in every game I'm bound to fail, whether it be after the first five or ten matches of the first season or later on in the second or third season. I have no clue what I'm doing wrong. I've read a lot of the advice given to newbies (even though I do not consider myself one), I use tactics from FM-Base which have got good feedback, I sign good, recommended players, I can't think of what I'm doing wrong. You see amazing stories of people bringing low league clubs to European glory or winning ten championships in a row. HOW DO THEY DO IT???

H E L P :D
after this season ended my GK trainers' ratings droped a lot http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g354/ludacris06/dssdads.jpg
what happened? they had 4stars before

@henry try to adapt those tactics as well. its very important. also try to keep the teams moral up, praise them when they are good but not too often, stuff like that.do you have buy lots of players? because it can have negative effect on the ones already in the team. try to transfer list players that you cant motivate well enough.. if u already do this they i dunno what else there is to do..
and maybe some on those amazing stories are told by people that either lie or reload the save whenever they lose

Last edited:
Got promoted with Atalanta as champions in first season,avoided relegation from serie a the following year...here's my dilemma.I've built my own team now with my own players and i'm mid table after 10 games in season 3,but Valencia have just offered me the job as manager.....

Stay or go??

Which club are you playing as?
Does it have any debts?
What is the clubs account balance?

If you have some debt then you could sell them before the end of season and that money can be used to pay some debt and may also gain you a bit more transfer budget next season.[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]
Hey thanks for your response. I am not so sure about the debt but I have a positive wage bill and transfer money below budget right now. I don't think I am in debt? So save them and sell during pre-season right? I would really want to recycle those money into new signings.

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

I have been playing Football Manager for reasonably long time, I remember I bought my first game in 2006. In all that time, the success I've had on Football Manager has not been at all good. I've only won 2 or 3 trophies, and almost every game I play goes something like this: start game, buy good players/wonderkids (e.g, on my last game with Arsenal, I purchased Eden Hazard, Falcao, and Gary Cahill), win all friendlies comfortably, win first game of the season convincingly, and from then on I lose or draw and cannot seem to find a win from anywhere. This is even more frustrating as, for example playing as Arsenal, I lost to a ten man Tottenham in the dying seconds. After several matches like this, what normally happens is I predictably quit (even though I know one of the golden rules of Football Manager is never to quit, I just can't help it).

Sometimes, I do have some success in the first season. I did a game at Celtic for example and I won the SPL, but from then on, everything went bad. The second season I could only win the Scottish Cup, and the third season I kept losing, and again I quit. You also have to remember that this was in Scotland, so if I didn't win something with Celtic, there really was no hope.

So this is the way I see it: in every game I'm bound to fail, whether it be after the first five or ten matches of the first season or later on in the second or third season. I have no clue what I'm doing wrong. I've read a lot of the advice given to newbies (even though I do not consider myself one), I use tactics from FM-Base which have got good feedback, I sign good, recommended players, I can't think of what I'm doing wrong. You see amazing stories of people bringing low league clubs to European glory or winning ten championships in a row. HOW DO THEY DO IT???

Yeah, I am not sure if I can help you but I understand completely what you're saying. Same with me. I would have a good tactics together, playing some great games scoring 4, 5 goals a game and then start drawing and losing. What helps me is to have a couple formations in my back pocket. I always save before the game and reload it if necessary. I know it is probably cheating but I can't really compete against the AI sometimes. They seem to figure out how to exploit my weaknesses every time I figure out a good tactics.

Don't forget about the difference between home and away games. I'm Liverpool and I always have to be very cautious with away games. I usually push my defenders high up at home playing 4-2-3-1 but then when I play away, I try to play deeper with a defensive midfield like 4-1-2-3. Also adjust your team style to control maybe during away games. At home, I usually play attacking. Some quick tips from my own experience. I hope it helps.

[TABLE="class: MsoNormalTable, width: 395"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 527, bgcolor: transparent"]Not a help question buy a WHY question
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 527, bgcolor: transparent"]you save a game before the match, you lose 5-0, reload the game and you "might" win 3-0
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 527, bgcolor: transparent"]why dose this happen
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[TD="width: 168"]Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. I can’t wait to read lots of your posts[/TD]

Im playing as Villarreal in 1st season and Ive bought Kadlec, Vrsaljko, Lucas (Sao Paulo) and Kranjcar (loan). In Spain theres the rule that you can only have 3 non-EU players and I assumed when buying vrsaljko that croatia was in the EU but apparently its not.

So now i have 4 non-EU players: Vrsaljko, Lucas, Zapata and Nilmar.

Should I sell either Zapata or Nilmar? OR
Should I loan out lucas or vrsaljko for a season?

This is bearing in mind that vrsaljko is probably going to be starting at RB or rotating with Mario and I was planning on giving lucas quite a bit of time in the 1st team.

I don't think I should sell nilmar or zapata, but if anyone could suggest a replacement for either of them probably with a low-ish wage then that would be great.

help please - http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/technical-help-fm-2011/80533-insatallation-problem.html

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 PM ----------

H E L P :D
after this season ended my GK trainers' ratings droped a lot http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g354/ludacris06/dssdads.jpg
what happened? they had 4stars before

dngrs you only have 1 keeper coach doing it, i would get some more keeping coaches, James Bailer, Ray Clemence? and also you don't have any players on that schedule

Back