The Homework Help thread.

• Thread starter Thread starter Joel`
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 158
  • Views Views 10K
Anyone doing A2 Biology? I hate the genetics and Punnet squares part. Anyone care to help me with this question:?

"In humans a certain rare *** linked recessive allele results in a change to the shape of the iris. This is known as cleft iris.

Using the symbols B and b show all possible geno/ phenotypes of the children of a man with cleft iris and a woman who only has the normal allele.

Parental genotypes:
Gametes:
Offspring Genotypes:
Offspring Phenotypes:

"

Anyone doing A2 Biology? I hate the genetics and Punnet squares part. Anyone care to help me with this question:?

"In humans a certain rare *** linked recessive allele results in a change to the shape of the iris. This is known as cleft iris.

Using the symbols B and b show all possible geno/ phenotypes of the children of a man with cleft iris and a woman who only has the normal allele.

Parental genotypes:Male, bY. Female, BB. (*** linked means it's on the x chromosome so the male only has one allele)
Gametes: Male: b,Y. Female: B.
Offspring Genotypes: BY, Bb
Offspring Phenotypes: Normal male, carrier female.

"
I think that's right. Not sure if you have to include the y chromosome or not.

Last edited:
Hey. I'm in Year 8 but we are doing GCSE level stuff. I got a Science (and Maths) test soon. I'm fine with Maths but not with Science.

We are doing Light and Sound.

Please can you explain the critical angle, refraction, etc. in detail please.

Thanks

no im not quite that foolish to do Physics too ;) However I am foolish enough to do Maths, Biology, Chemistry and History

lol chemistry and maths are both harder than physics (6) maths pwns all in the difficulty factor

lol chemistry and maths are both harder than physics (6) maths pwns all in the difficulty factor

Depends how you think! I'm fine with Maths (going to do a degree in it...), but getting the grade I needed in English was a real struggle. I guess it's just the way your brain works.

Depends how you think! I'm fine with Maths (going to do a degree in it...), but getting the grade I needed in English was a real struggle. I guess it's just the way your brain works.

yeah true, i hated english, not my thing at all. Guess physics just felt more natural. Chemistry was a *****.

Maths degree? Geek :P

yeah true, i hated english, not my thing at all. Guess physics just felt more natural. Chemistry was a *****.

Maths degree? Geek :P

Aye, I'm so glad I've never got English again. Wrote so many essays I've become sick of books!

I preferred physics too, it might be because I could understand and visualise it (except electricity), whereas chemistry could've all been made up for all I know, and a lot of it just involved memorising things.

Everyone loves Maths deep down :P Don't try and tell me you didn't get the excellent feeling of satisfaction when you worked out a difficult problem!

Aye, I'm so glad I've never got English again. Wrote so many essays I've become sick of books!

I preferred physics too, it might be because I could understand and visualise it (except electricity), whereas chemistry could've all been made up for all I know, and a lot of it just involved memorising things.

Everyone loves Maths deep down :P Don't try and tell me you didn't get the excellent feeling of satisfaction when you worked out a difficult problem!

Physics you get to solve a difficult problem and have the satisfaction knowing it applies to the real world. :) And most of the stuff you can't visualise as clearly at A2 physics. Just try and visualise an object getting heavier as it's lifted by a crane!

You're like me then, Mike. :) Most people who do both at my college though all say Physics is way harder. :/

@Paul
There's 3 basic properties of waves. Reflection, refraction and diffraction.
Reflection is where waves will reflect back off a surface. The law of reflection states that the angle of infraction always equals the angle of reflection. So, if you shine a narrow light beam at a mirror at 30 degrees, it will reflect off the surface at a 30 degree angle.

Refraction is where light slows down as it enters a new medium, such as glass. As it slows down this causes the light to bend. When the light is slowing down then it will always bend towards the normal, as shown by this ray diagram: http://tinyurl.com/6bat8zo

Snell's law allows us to calculate angles and refractive indexes. Snell's law: n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2

n1sinθ1 is the refractive index of the initial medium (n1, this is usually in air in which case n1 = 1). sinθ1 is the sin of the angle of incidence. n2 is the refractive index of the second substance and so on..

Critical angle is closely related to refraction. When light is in a medium such as glass, when it tries to escape into a lighter medium (air) it will speed up. sinθc = n2/n1, where n1 > n2. If the angle of incidence of your light beam inside the glass is greater than the critical angle, then no refraction will occur and light will totally internally reflect within the glass. This is simply where it acts as a reflection rather than refraction inside the glass. This phenomenon is perhaps most notable in diamonds. Diamonds have a high refractive index, thus a low critical angle. Meaning a lot of the light will not refract out, this gives diamonds their sparkly effect.

Diffraction is where waves can bend around large obstacles and spread out through gaps. Hence why you can get radio signal living behind a hill! Here is a drawing of the effect: http://tinyurl.com/6zr6gyx
The amount of diffraction you get is greatest when the slit you diffract through is roughly equal to the wavelength. The wavelength of the average sound wave by a human is about 1m, so if you open your door down the corridor which is also roughly 1m wide, you can hear the classroom down the corridor much more clearly!

Do you need help with wavelength, frequency, amplitude etc.?

well that's nice to know I've been stupid enough to do a couple very hard A levels :/ It better be worth it **** it!

well that's nice to know I've been stupid enough to do a couple very hard A levels :/ It better be worth it **** it!

Employers like people with the more difficult subjects, even if you're not in those fields. Shows you have analytical and problem solving skills, ability to think at a high level etc. No point choosing subjects off difficulty, you probably wouldn't enjoy it more and do worst.

Physics you get to solve a difficult problem and have the satisfaction knowing it applies to the real world. :) And most of the stuff you can't visualise as clearly at A2 physics. Just try and visualise an object getting heavier as it's lifted by a crane!

You're like me then, Mike. :) Most people who do both at my college though all say Physics is way harder. :/

@Paul
There's 3 basic properties of waves. Reflection, refraction and diffraction.
Reflection is where waves will reflect back off a surface. The law of reflection states that the angle of infraction always equals the angle of reflection. So, if you shine a narrow light beam at a mirror at 30 degrees, it will reflect off the surface at a 30 degree angle.

Refraction is where light slows down as it enters a new medium, such as glass. As it slows down this causes the light to bend. When the light is slowing down then it will always bend towards the normal, as shown by this ray diagram: http://tinyurl.com/6bat8zo

Snell's law allows us to calculate angles and refractive indexes. Snell's law: n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2

n1sinθ1 is the refractive index of the initial medium (n1, this is usually in air in which case n1 = 1). sinθ1 is the sin of the angle of incidence. n2 is the refractive index of the second substance and so on..

Critical angle is closely related to refraction. When light is in a medium such as glass, when it tries to escape into a lighter medium (air) it will speed up. sinθc = n2/n1, where n1 > n2. If the angle of incidence of your light beam inside the glass is greater than the critical angle, then no refraction will occur and light will totally internally reflect within the glass. This is simply where it acts as a reflection rather than refraction inside the glass. This phenomenon is perhaps most notable in diamonds. Diamonds have a high refractive index, thus a low critical angle. Meaning a lot of the light will not refract out, this gives diamonds their sparkly effect.

Diffraction is where waves can bend around large obstacles and spread out through gaps. Hence why you can get radio signal living behind a hill! Here is a drawing of the effect: http://tinyurl.com/6zr6gyx
The amount of diffraction you get is greatest when the slit you diffract through is roughly equal to the wavelength. The wavelength of the average sound wave by a human is about 1m, so if you open your door down the corridor which is also roughly 1m wide, you can hear the classroom down the corridor much more clearly!

Do you need help with wavelength, frequency, amplitude etc.?
Nah, fine on those thanks :). Cheers for the reply, although we haven't learnt about Snell's law. But anyway, thanks.

Employers like people with the more difficult subjects, even if you're not in those fields. Shows you have analytical and problem solving skills, ability to think at a high level etc. No point choosing subjects off difficulty, you probably wouldn't enjoy it more and do worst.

ye that's what I was thinking when I chose those subjects. I knew chemistry and maths were well thought of and I was decent at them so thought what the ****. History is my best subject and what i will probs do at uni and Biology i'm decent at and my mum is a biology teacher so can help me. Better than doing something like Media studies ;)

This is better ;)
[video=youtube;LVz4VweMqFE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVz4VweMqFE&feature=fvst[/video]
This is hilarious. "Name a country beginning with U - Utah?" and "Where was the Berlin wall - Israel?" Americans are stupid, I know more than them and I'm 13, haha!

This is hilarious. "Name a country beginning with U - Utah?" and "Where was the Berlin wall - Israel?" Americans are stupid, I know more than them and I'm 13, haha!

I'm half American..... ;)

Back