The " I have a small question " thread

Hey, hope you can help with this

Liam Ridgewell, who's never actually played for me as he got injured a couple of days after arriving, came to me with this concern: "This doesn't have to go any further than this office but I'm concerned about the lack of discipline"

to which I responded "I'll try to improve the way I handle things and you should see some improvement over the next few months" as the only other option was something along the lines of 'I'm not worried about this and neither should you be'

but does anyone know exactly what he's eluding to? The amount of yellow and red cards my team have is below average by the way

It means (at least when the message has occured to me) that you haven't punished player for red card or things like that. When player recieves a red card/doesn't show up on training you should at least give him a warning, and next time fine his wages. That should stop those messages.

Also, when deciding when to hand out warnings etc, never compare the actull situation to real life. If your DCs prevents a clear goal and wins the match for you with his handball/tackle, you still have to dicipline him.

Last edited:
so I should discipline each red card? cause the only one I've had this season was one of those where it was described by the media as dubious so I thought it would be unfair to discipline him for it

so I should discipline each red card? cause the only one I've had this season was one of those where it was described by the media as dubious so I thought it would be unfair to discipline him for it

You don't have to discipline him, you can just issue a warning.

Hi mates, I found that going on holidays between your squad end of season break and 1 july leaves the tactic familiarity unchanged, could be usefull for those often playing more than one tactic. I don't know wether this small cheat is rather documented or not so I ask the question :)

I was just wondering what tactic would work best against a wide, slow 4-4-2 formation?

Hi there,
1. How to decide 'it is the suitable wide setting for my tactic'?
I mean, what is the indicator the wide is conformtable enough with the tactic.

2. I have about 30 shoot in a match but only have about 10 to 15 shoot on target. I have Messi, Villa, Aguero in the front line. What's the possibility of fault in my tactic? Too high defender line? Tempo? Wide? or what? I hate to use try and error methode because usually, when i make some changes, a new bad think will say hello to me.

Thank you very much ;)

Hi there,
1. How to decide 'it is the suitable wide setting for my tactic'?
I mean, what is the indicator the wide is conformtable enough with the tactic.

2. I have about 30 shoot in a match but only have about 10 to 15 shoot on target. I have Messi, Villa, Aguero in the front line. What's the possibility of fault in my tactic? Too high defender line? Tempo? Wide? or what? I hate to use try and error methode because usually, when i make some changes, a new bad think will say hello to me.

Thank you very much ;)

Could be many reasons. I think you have to post the way you play, the tactic for use to answer. Most of the times though, its because you play too narrow by formation and with too many early runs from deep.This means that your playrs will be short in passing options that actually drags the opponent out of position and that players taks these shots as last resort.

Last edited:
This might be a very odd question.
In the topic 'How to put tactics in the game' , it's all so easy to do it, but when I do it my tactic doesn't show up in my game?
Any explanations?
(sorry for bad english)

This might be a very odd question.
In the topic 'How to put tactics in the game' , it's all so easy to do it, but when I do it my tactic doesn't show up in my game?
Any explanations?
(sorry for bad english)

Then you obviously doing something wrong. At which step does it go wrong ?

Can two poachers play up front together succesfully???

Depends on the formation and how good they are. You'd need a playmaker behind them or good crossers otherwise they'll suffer. I'd still prefer to not use 2 poachers since if it fails you're effectively playing with 9 men.

Instead of starting new threads, please put your small question in here.

A small question is in my definition a question that has a straight answer, a question that there is no point in having a discussion about when one has provided enough information about the problem. If you feel that you want to brainstorm around a subject you have doubts about, feel free to start a thread about it

Please note that this is the tactics & training part of the forum so if you have anything that relates to graphics, players or if you are wondering if your computer is good enough to run FM12, don't hesitate to ask your questions in those parts of the forum instead.

Cheers

Do you need to use more than one tactic in fm?

Do you need to use more than one tactic in fm?

Yes and No. As its a computer game, you dont need to do anything.

Some users download or construct tactics that have an advantage in the Match Engine and use them as plug & play tactics. These tactics give you a solid ground to get good results although as these tactics are often relying on some specific actions, they fall apart when these dont work, when the opponent plays differently and the holes in the ME cant be exploitet

Some users use one tactic at home and one more cautious when playing away

And then there are people like me, that make small tweaks before each game and use the shouts. While this approach is the one that will make you able to get the best result, its also the most difficult one

Yes and No. As its a computer game, you dont need to do anything.

Some users download or construct tactics that have an advantage in the Match Engine and use them as plug & play tactics. These tactics give you a solid ground to get good results although as these tactics are often relying on some specific actions, they fall apart when these dont work, when the opponent plays differently and the holes in the ME cant be exploitet

Some users use one tactic at home and one more cautious when playing away

And then there are people like me, that make small tweaks before each game and use the shouts. While this approach is the one that will make you able to get the best result, its also the most difficult one
whats the easiest approach to get results everygame at the moment im using one tactic plug and play home and away

whats the easiest approach to get results everygame at the moment im using one tactic plug and play home and away

- Use a top team
- Use a tactic that exploit the match engine
- use one that is made in the classic mode where you can implement a corner routine that gets you 20+ goals extra every season
- use one that relies on quick players and high pressing
- get quick players with great mental stats
- use cheating tools like FMscout or FMRTE

= win

Has anyone ever had success with playing one AMC as a withdrawn striker without any other ST in the tactic?

I like the idea as it gives your "striker (AMC)" room to hold up ball or run, but not having someone play off the last defenders shoulder seems to hurt attacking moves.

I'm a bit clueless on this subject so wondering if anyone could help me or have some tips. I'm having a "problem" where a few of my players, most importantly Phil Jones, isn't having stable CA/stats. By that I mean his stats will improve over a month or two and then drop down to the level they were. I bought him in the 2013-2014 season and I'm currently 3/4 in and Jones has played about 20 out of 30 league matches and has about 45 appearances is total so far this season if I remember right. I do change training schedules about every 6 months and stuff like that and haven't really had any trouble like this before really.

Here's a screenshot when I was about halfway into the season and that sort of curve has continued; up and down.

Pwp7s.png

So yeah, I'm just wondering if I'm playing him too much or too little or what I'm doing wrong. Cause I really don't have a clue at the moment. I can say that at the moment both his tackling and marking is down at 16 for example. It's a bit annoying.

This wasn't exactly a small question either lol.

I'm a bit clueless on this subject so wondering if anyone could help me or have some tips. I'm having a "problem" where a few of my players, most importantly Phil Jones, isn't having stable CA/stats. By that I mean his stats will improve over a month or two and then drop down to the level they were. I bought him in the 2013-2014 season and I'm currently 3/4 in and Jones has played about 20 out of 30 league matches and has about 45 appearances is total so far this season if I remember right. I do change training schedules about every 6 months and stuff like that and haven't really had any trouble like this before really.

Here's a screenshot when I was about halfway into the season and that sort of curve has continued; up and down.

Pwp7s.png

So yeah, I'm just wondering if I'm playing him too much or too little or what I'm doing wrong. Cause I really don't have a clue at the moment. I can say that at the moment both his tackling and marking is down at 16 for example. It's a bit annoying.

This wasn't exactly a small question either lol.

To get some more background facts:

- Has be been injuried ?
- His normal training currently fills 50 % of his time. Has it been lower ? Has it been much higher ?
- How has his morale been ?
- have you been chnaingthe schedule drasticlly ?

All these things change the stats. They go from 15.2 to 15.4 down to 14.8 and then up to 15.5. All in all, not big changes at all when the range is from 14.8-15.5 ( about 5 %) and that is only in some stats. The trick here is not to look too much at these curves over a short period of time but instead over a slightly longer.

By looking at the information on Jones, I would say that its not a problem as such.

To get some more background facts:

- Has be been injuried ?
- His normal training currently fills 50 % of his time. Has it been lower ? Has it been much higher ?
- How has his morale been ?
- have you been chnaingthe schedule drasticlly ?

All these things change the stats. They go from 15.2 to 15.4 down to 14.8 and then up to 15.5. All in all, not big changes at all when the range is from 14.8-15.5 ( about 5 %) and that is only in some stats. The trick here is not to look too much at these curves over a short period of time but instead over a slightly longer.

By looking at the information on Jones, I would say that its not a problem as such.
He hasn't been injured and his training amount has pretty much been the same. I've had match prep on low but put it to very low now to see if it'll help a bit to focus some more on training. His morale has been between Good and Superb. Training schedule hasn't been changed much - I've changed from a Ball-Playing CB schedule to General CB.

But thanks for the answer mate. I'll keep an extra eye on him and see how things are at the start of the next season. He still plays like a baws so I guess that's what really matters anyway!

Back