The " I have a small question " thread

Is it a way to see what question in a press conference a player react too? Very annoying when I get lots of "Pre-match: N/A is unhappy with N/A's comments" but not what question. Impossible to know for next time what type of answer they react bad to.

1. Is there a guide on how to develop youngsters? If not, could I get some tips on that? I have an idea of how and where I want to use them in the future, so how do I get the attributes up? I know its through the training, but like I want to develop Sime Vrsaljko, who's a DR, DM, MC. So currently, I just put him in the midfielder training for three months and then back to defence.1. A couple of the players I bought have problems fitting in because either their personalities are different from the team's nature, or they can't speak the language. Do these issues go away and how important are they?

There is one here from FM2011. It may be from an older installment but generally it has all of the criteria you need to know. There are various other guides lying around on other Football Manager forums if you search on Google, but yes, read the guide and you can gain a good understanding.

They are not overly important, with time they should be able to integrate and become more comfortable within the squad. If you look at the assistant manager's report pre-game you will see that players x and y have problems fitting into the squad because of ABCD. It's not something you should be highly attentive of. What you can do, however, is motivate them by being more encouraging to them in their performances on the pitch and praising them when they do well. If however they perform the opposite, either take a more strict approach in expecting better, or be more lenient and tell them in a calmer way what you want from him - the reason why he is at your club. Of course people react in different ways, and it is just through experience that you will be able to find out what is best in dealing with your players.

Is it a way to see what question in a press conference a player react too? Very annoying when I get lots of "Pre-match: N/A is unhappy with N/A's comments" but not what question. Impossible to know for next time what type of answer they react bad to.

No, I don't think there is. Really, you just have to keep an eye on your squad and watch out for questions that are directed towards them. Often it is after the press conference that they make their reaction to it clear. If poor, you can rectify it by commenting on his current form, match performance or training level. Just be careful as they could take it the wrong way and become even more frustrated.

Last edited:
Why am I only able to sign P/T contracts, which means only P/T training. It's really messing with my ability to have quality pickups stay quality. I don't want a guy on a three-year contract stuck at P/T training. Is it the training facilities, the fact I'm in second-tier? Is it the board?

Why am I only able to sign P/T contracts, which means only P/T training. It's really messing with my ability to have quality pickups stay quality. I don't want a guy on a three-year contract stuck at P/T training. Is it the training facilities, the fact I'm in second-tier? Is it the board?
Generally to do with if you are pro or semi pro club, that is my insight anyway!

5wdb8.png

What position would he be best in?

I have a question about player tactics. Is it best to let the players follow my tactic set up for them, and hope they learn my way of playing eventually, or tweak my tactic to more suite them?

Eg. my assistant coach tells me every game, that almost half my team has either "N/N looks like he is used to play a more direct game" or "N/N looks like he is not used to close down as much as he's asked today" or "N/N looks like he is not used to play with such a high tempo as asked today"

But my other players can full-time train. Why some and not other.
That's the nature of a semi pro club I have come to believe, part time contracts will bring down the wages and even some use non contract players so if you want to stay in the black I would leave it as it is for now with only your best players on full time.
5wdb8.png

What position would he be best in?
I have to ask how tall is he? If he is 6ft or more train his strength and he'd be a great Defensive or Complete forward, if not train in quickness and make a poacher or deep lying forward or as said an inside forward.
I have a question about player tactics. Is it best to let the players follow my tactic set up for them, and hope they learn my way of playing eventually, or tweak my tactic to more suite them?

Eg. my assistant coach tells me every game, that almost half my team has either "N/N looks like he is used to play a more direct game" or "N/N looks like he is not used to close down as much as he's asked today" or "N/N looks like he is not used to play with such a high tempo as asked today"
There is no BEST way, it's all down to the managers (yours) opinion. For me:
If it is clear your players will suit a specific style of player i.e Stoke long ball counter, Tottenham Possession football etc then play them like that as it is difficult to play a team against their will.

However if there is a real mix of players i.e. QPR, Doncaster Rovers and not one particular solution leaps out, play it how you like to and have very high team blend on to get them used to it. Train players to play their new roles and hope that it works!!

I need help with my fullbacks and "ball winning midfielder". I'm playing Arsenal and Sagna is one of the best fullbacks in the game, Santos is OK, not bad.

Whatever tweaking I do, they can't seem to work like fullbacks of say Chelsea, Man U or Man C (which has good FB, and are attacking minded).
My players don't close down wingers (have close down full pitch) and play to close to the central defenders (no width) even though my team setting has
lots of Width. Settings are Support, Tight Marking, Zonal Marking, High Close Down. I've tried with Man marking, Zonal Marking, low close down,
high close down. Nothing seems to work.

When I play say Chelsea or Man U, their FB rush onto my wingers as soon as they have the ball, like they have a rocket in their ***, closing them down and
take the ball. They come nowhere with their defense.

Same goes for my "ball winning midfielder", I play Song there. He just stands looking when ball comes between my midfield and defensive line instead of
tracking back helping the defense. When playing eg. Man C, their midfielders are always tracking back, making the life of my AMC/CM difficult and still
helps out high up in the pitch when attacking.

And btw, my teams tackling is awful. They glide tackle and miss 7 out of 10 times, leaving the wingers/amc free with the goalie. They all have decent
tackling attributes. 10+ all of them.

If I see and compare attributes, it's hard to understand why my tactics does not work, but the game engine's does.

Bacary Sagna
Stamina: 17
Fitness: 18
Concentration: 14
Positioning: 14
Work rate: 17
Teamwork: 17
Tackling: 16

Ashley Cole
Stamina: 18
Concentration: 15
Positioning: 16
Work rate: 18
Teamwork: 15
Tackling: 17

Because your club is not a professional club, which cannot sign players on professional contracts. Unless you raise your reputation and get promotion, you will remain as a semi-professional or amateur club. You can ask the board to turn professional, but however I have little experience in this field.

I need help with my fullbacks and "ball winning midfielder". I'm playing Arsenal and Sagna is one of the best fullbacks in the game, Santos is OK, not bad.

Whatever tweaking I do, they can't seem to work like fullbacks of say Chelsea, Man U or Man C (which has good FB, and are attacking minded).
My players don't close down wingers (have close down full pitch) and play to close to the central defenders (no width) even though my team setting has
lots of Width. Settings are Support, Tight Marking, Zonal Marking, High Close Down. I've tried with Man marking, Zonal Marking, low close down,
high close down. Nothing seems to work.

When I play say Chelsea or Man U, their FB rush onto my wingers as soon as they have the ball, like they have a rocket in their ***, closing them down and
take the ball. They come nowhere with their defense.

Same goes for my "ball winning midfielder", I play Song there. He just stands looking when ball comes between my midfield and defensive line instead of
tracking back helping the defense. When playing eg. Man C, their midfielders are always tracking back, making the life of my AMC/CM difficult and still
helps out high up in the pitch when attacking.

And btw, my teams tackling is awful. They glide tackle and miss 7 out of 10 times, leaving the wingers/amc free with the goalie. They all have decent
tackling attributes. 10+ all of them.

If I see and compare attributes, it's hard to understand why my tactics does not work, but the game engine's does.

Bacary Sagna
Stamina: 17
Concentration: 14
Positioning: 14
Work rate: 17
Teamwork: 17
Tackling: 16

Ashley Cole
Stamina: 18
Concentration: 15
Positioning: 16
Work rate: 18
Teamwork: 15
Tackling: 17

It's a combination of several things; your philosophy, your strategy, your instructions to the players, the amount of freedom you give them, how attack or defence-minded you want them to be, what their marking roles are (etc).

For your players to close down, you must give them little freedom in being able to do whatever, a balanced strategy in their role, a high closing down duty and possibly the need to man-mark someone, depending on what position they are playing in. This limits their capability in just roaming with the ball and doing whatever and not adhering to your instructions. Regardless of what your players' attributes are, you need to set the right instructions in place for them to work. Otherwise they will go against them.

If you want to close down your opposition quickly, I suggest either using Default and setting it manually, or Press More and using touchline instructions to adjust it the way that you want to in real time, with the Hassle Opponents should or the Stand Off More shout. That way, you don't always have to click on the Tactics button and adjust it every time, which can become a pain.

Agree with the above. Also, if you play on the break and your attacking players go straight at goal, there is à big chance that your fullbacks just dont have time to support with their runs from deep.

I play à standard, Balanced 442 and à 4231 and i use the shout "
Pass to feet ". Along with letting My fullbacks huge the touchline( with the ball move though), they often get them selfes high up in the field, higher up then My Deeplying playmaker when deliever ball out wide. I also like to shout " play wider" BUT set the focus play to mixed when using the wide 4231 as i dont want My defenders to look for the wingers for the build too often.

Edit; My fullbacks are on attack

Last edited:
I cannot score....

Right, I am bayern munich, top of the league but every single game I have like 20+ shots on goal averaging about 2-4 on target. My strikers are worth £15m each and since I have been here (4months) Arjen Robben has not hit a single shot on target. I previously managed birmingham and had the same problem. I have used maybe 5 or six different formations throughout my career but this problem persists. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have two questions.

1. I have my both DC (one Cover the other Stopper) on Zonal marking. No opposition instruction. Close down own half. How do I prevent them from going on the same striker to close down/tackling/take the ball? It happens at least 3-4 times during a match, leaving the other striker 1-on-1 with my goalkeeper.

2. I have serious problem with my attacking corners. I have both my FB on Stay back, and my DMC on Stay back if needed. But I keep on getting hit by counter attacks from their striker. Must have let in at least 7 goals this season on that. My players are way to far off into the opposition field, not marking their striker which roams around like he wants.

Edit: On attacking corners, DO NOT have a player lurking outside the penalty area. Even though I have set corner to 6 yard box, they ALWAYS pump ball to the player outside getting closed down, they kick a long ball and their player getting 1-on-1 with the goalkeeper.

Last edited:
I just started an Aston Villa save and wanted to come up with own tactic for a change. I never really had much luck with tactics and usually had to download some to make a season, but i'm determined to succeed this time around.

Here's my current squad:
View attachment 237547

and here's my current tactics:

View attachment 237548

I'm getting a lot of the possession but i can't seem to create any chances and when i do my strikers buckle under the pressure , except for the big man himself, Heskey who's my top goal scorer so far. I'm 4 games into the league with 2 draws and 2 defeats so it's not been really working , but i have one in the League cup twice 4-1 against Port Vale and 2-0 against Burnley, but it's hard not to beat them with the squad i have.

Can you give me a hand at all , point me in the right direction perhaps? I really don't want to have to download another tactic , i want to learn from my mistakes. If you need anymore screenshots then let me know!

Also, i've been looking for the Tactics Analyse screen, i've heard a bit about it but i can't find it , unless its the Analyse on the game screen.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Is the Johnstone Paint Trophy worth a lot? I don't want to tire my players out in a meaningless competition.

Back