The Leeds United Thread

Varney's transfer should be completed within a day or two, Not quite sure where he is going to play for us though, I dont see him as a out and out striker and probably would'nt be the ideal replacement for McCormack if he leaves, Alot would be resting on Becchio's shoulders if that is how it goes, I would rather see us bring in another striker and use Varney out wide, We have Snodgrass on one wing and Varney's pace on the other wing could offer decent options, Plus he can score the odd goal which is always better than using White or Pugh on the wing, Although any of those would do a better job than Sam.

Austin looks to be signed once he sorts the work permit, Probably the signing i am most happy about, We have been crying out for a defencive midfielder for a few seasons now and it seems we finally have one, He can play at CB too which is always nice as we dont have that many good options there, Lees and Pearce are about it with maybe Bruce but thats all, Plus with Austin signing i'm hoping it means less game time for Brown, Would much rather see Austin and Green in midfield than Brown but when Brown does get games hopefully having someone who can tackle beside him in Austin will stop him making those dangerous tackles.

Nice to see White signed a new deal too, He can do a job on the left of midfield but hes not the best in terms of defending i would leave the LB slot to Drury but he does offer a decent bit of pace, The end product needs alittle work but keeping him is a good deal, Much better than the 250k or so we would have gotten from Derby if he joined them.

Ashdown is a signing i understand, We needed a backup keeper and we got one with experience, Kenny and Ashdown do make the sale of Lonergan much more understandable now, Resigning Gray is a odd one, Hes probably on low wages but is he going to be another Forssell or Webber, Experienced player who did nothing coming off the bench, Either way i dont think he is going make much difference either way.

Hopefully the rumors about us bidding for Peltier are true, A decent RB is all we are missing for what is shaping up to be a pretty solid defence, Never thought i would say that about a Leeds defence.Kenny, Peltier, Lees, Pearce, Drury and Austin as DM, We should'nt ship as many goals as last season, Hopefully Green and Varney will chip in with a few goals and we either replace McCormack with a solid striker or sign a solid winger if we're playing Varney upfront with Becchio because White is decent but the end product isnt there with him and for Becchio to be at his best we need good delivery from both wings.

All in all though i am quite happy with how things are going right now, Just hope it does'nt all go pear shaped and we end up cashing in on Snodgrass, Keep hold of him and bring in a few more new faces and i think we could have a decent season.

Yes just the news i didnt want to hear comes only a few hours after my last post, Gutted to see Snodgrass leave he was without a doubt the best player we had, The fee was ok i guess, 1.5m upfront with 1-1.5m addons for a player in his last year is decent enough i just hope it is invested in areas we need it now.

Varney has taken over from Snodgrass, We still need another winger though for the leftwing, We need a RB but rumors are we are interested in 3 RB's so hopefully one happens soon and we really do need some options upfront, With McCormacks future in doubt we only have Becchio, Gray and a injured Somma, We need atleast one striker even now and probably two if we lose McCormack but it needs to be the right ones, Someone who can play off Becchio, Hopefully someone who can strike up the partnership like Becchio and Beckford had, **** Beckford would be a very welcome addition to the team but rumors of him leaving Leicester seem to have been squashed now.

DJ Campbell, Bothroyd, Mikael-Smith have all been mentioned aswell as Maynard, Not suprised about the first two, Players Warnock signed for QPR and he does like to go with players he has history with, Mikael-Smith is a decent striker but Brighton wont be willing sellers, Maynard i'm not impressed by personally, He would be my last option of the 4 of them but all would be a improvement on what we have no doubt.

The Snodgrass story hurt a lot but aside from that it has been a very good pre season so far imo. Made a LOT of signings for once and I'm happy with most if not all of them. Need to a few more players but I do have optimism for the season ahead. Hopefully this investment story gets sorted soon, it's dragged on for far too long!

This season should be better than last season, A new look defence was very much top of the to do list and apart from a rightback that has happed, Kenny is a solid keeper at this level and you need a keeper you can trust and Warnock clearly trusts Kenny, Lees and Pearce at CB i like alot, Two young CBs should limit the ammount of space we leave, Drury i think is a good signing too, Sure hes getting on abit but his experience will help, Craine is being offered a contract and from what i've seen preseason he will make a very good addition as cover to Lees and Pearce and can also play leftback too, That is ofcourse if he will be happy being more of a squad player, No doubt he could get into the starting lineup at other clubs.

Very happy with the new look midfield too, Sure we lost Clayton but we sign 3 CM's to replace one, Green and Norris hopefully will chip in with goals and Austin just sitting and breaking up the play works for me, Defence and the middle of the field is where we looked very weak last season and both have been addressed quickly which is great.

Ofcourse losing Snodgrass is a blow, Not sure why so many Leeds fan are raging over Varney replacing him though, Varney could match Snodgrass for goals, Maybe not on the same level in terms of delivery but he does offer pace which was Snodgrass' weakness, I am less concerned about Snodgrass' old position and more worried about who will be playing on the other wing, From the current crop of players i would go for White purely for the pace but his delivery is poor and he wont score many if any goals but his pace will cause some problems.

Hopefully we address the need for a striker soon though, I would be very happy if we kept McCormack but hes in the final year of his contract and we know Bates hates losing players for free, With a new striker (Or two if McCormack goes) our season could be a decent one, Ofcourse RB and leftwing would be nice too but with McCormacks future up in the air i am more worried about us getting that area sorted before we lose him.

Also, Yes please get this investment sorted one way or another, Either it happens or it doesnt, Its dragging on way too long, The sooner we know what is happening the sooner we can look forward to the season ahead.

We've needed a new defence since our last season in League 1! It has never really been adressed but now i agree it looks decent on paper. RB is essential and maybe another decent CB as cover? Also been crying out for a ball winning mid for years, every year I was hoping for one! I thought Brown could do a job but he was pretty poor (though did improve under Warnock). Austin gives optimism, hopefully he's decent. Norris and Green should be decent, though an improvement on Howson and Clayton compared to last summer I don't think so. Agree that we need a good winger, even more so now that Snodgrass is gone. Think Warnock was aiming to play him behind the striker so wouldn't be surpirsed to see us buy a AMC. Definitely need another goal scoring striker, especially if McCormack goes. Saw a rumour of a swap deal with Brighton for Mackail Smith which is a deal I'd be happy with. He's a very good striker.

I think the best thing about this summer so far is the fact we are actually paying for players, it's such a change!

Looks like the takeover has collapsed :/

Happy to see McCormack sign a new deal as a new striker looks unlikely right now unless we move a good few players on, Really needed him to sign the contract or move him on as part of a trade i'm glad we kept hold of him though.

Slightly doubtful about Diouf though, A player i have zero respect for at all and will never like seeing in a Leeds shirt regardless of how well he plays, I understand we are lacking on the wings and i'm sure if he keeps his head down he can do a job but hes just one of those people you cant help but hate.

I hope to see Warnock atleast bring in a loan signing or two if we dont make any more perm signings, We still lack alittle cover in certain areas and while Warnock isnt a fan of loans its a option we need to look at even if its just for cover, I am looking forward to the new season and dont see why we cant push for top 6 this season.

Wouldn't be surprised if you're promoted. Warnock does that to a team, he's a ****, but good at getting out of the championship.
Jason Pearce is great.

Also 1-0.

Solid performance today against a average Wolves side to be honest, Considering the players they have they were very poor, Byram managed to keep Jarvis quiet and Pearce was very solid, Not sure about Pearce as MoM though Austin bossed the midfield and got back well to make some good tackles.The only thing we lacked was a creative spark, Thats going to be our problem this season with only McCormack who can really produce those moments, Diouf did quite well when he came on too but hes still a tool.

We still need a creative midfielder/winger but if that doesnt happen i'm still happy with the squad we have, Maybe Green can offer alittle more creativity didnt get to see much of him due to the injury but plenty of positive signs from the new signings, Really glad to see another youth player coming through the ranks too, Byram looks to be a decent player, Played very well at RB against Jarvis and did well when moved into midfield, We seem to have a few promising youngsters coming up this season which is great to see.

Anyone here go? Attendance was quite low which is surprising. Great result, I'll happily take 1-0 wins all season that's what Warnock was going for. Bring on some revenge against Blackpool!

watched a bit of the game today and I must admit I myself have tipped Leeds for promotion this season either automatic or playoffs but I do think they have a real chance because of Warnock. Like the comment above I too noticed that the crowd was shocking for a leeds united game, along with newcastle and liverpool in my opinion leeds have the best strongest support so to see a low crowd shocked me, any leeds fans know why it was such a poor crowd?

only thing I can think of is protest to Bates, especially due to ongoing takeover. Thing that worries me for a promotion push is we dont have much of a squad :/ good first 11 but if injuries build up we're a bit ******

Re attendance it probably doesn't help that it was on TV and some people still on summer holidays etc. Thought Leeds looked decent today, although Varney showed the side of his game which was so frustrating for us, poor control when he was through on goal and overall looked nervous IMO. If you can get him confident you have a real player on your hands, but he just doesn't seem to believe in himself.

looks like the takeover could actually happen :D

I don't think promotion is any close to likely for Leeds this season. I think Adkins would be better in the position than Warnock.

Yep We're not going up this season, away form has been plain awful. Warnock made his squad and yes, he could have been backed financially a little better, but he made the squad pretty much completely and it hasn't really been good enough. Let him see out his contract then please please please get Adkins. Or if he looks like someone else will get him, GET HIM NOW! Would be a very good appointment

I've seen the new owners has some problems in totally taking over the club or some problems with Bates, what's going on there?

And one more question, the new owners are any rich for putting Leeds back in Premier League? Any closure to Man City sheiks (talking about rich).