The Liverpool FC Team FM15 Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Tezzz
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 184
  • Views Views 180K
On season 2. Joined half way through season 1 in 4th place around 6 points off; made up the difference and won with 1 game to spare.

I noticed that champions league play is very important for players so when Arsenal failed and finished 6th, some players were up for grabs. I nabbed chambers and also stones! as Everton were just above the drop zone.

Needed to strengthen in the full back, GK and forwards.

Outs:
1. usual driftwood; jones, toure, assiadi, alberto, coates, aspas,
2. free up salary: johnson, enrique, moreno, allen, skrtel, lambert, sakho

In:
1. first teamers: vincent aboubacar, balanta, chambers (RB), silva (LB), ayew,
2. worth a punt: mitrovic, umtiti, stones (RB), Khune, sirigu
3. future prospects: romangoli, oblak, patrick roberts, a smattering of english under 18s, josh murphy

Working on Lucas Romero and another experienced full back likely someone with

Promotions:
1. Iliori, Jones, Wisdom

Now in July;

Basically now I have a decent CB pairing of lovren and balanta and a lot of youth backups; iliori, jones, wisdom, umtiti, romangoli
Full backs are now young but decent; Flanno, chambers, stones, Silva, manquillo
Too many attacking mids/wingers; sterling, coutinho, markovic, lallana, ayew
not enough central mids; henderson, lucas, gerrard, can. Gerrard is deteriorating and lucas has a now mediocre performance. Looking at Lucas Romero
The strike force now is looking great with sturridge, aboubacar, mitrovic and balotelli
GK is better now with Mignolet doing well for me and Khune to challenge and Oblak to train up.

So I ended up fulfilling my goals for forwards and GK, and partially for the centre backs and full backs. Which means that I'll likely focus on training up the youth to help cover my needs (Stones-> RB, Chambers-> RB Umtiti-> LB) and recruit 2 more; one strong central mid (and lose lucas) and one strong full back.

On season 2. Joined half way through season 1 in 4th place around 6 points off; made up the difference and won with 1 game to spare.

I noticed that champions league play is very important for players so when Arsenal failed and finished 6th, some players were up for grabs. I nabbed chambers and also stones! as Everton were just above the drop zone.

Needed to strengthen in the full back, GK and forwards.

Outs:
1. usual driftwood; jones, toure, assiadi, alberto, coates, aspas,
2. free up salary: johnson, enrique, moreno, allen, skrtel, lambert, sakho

In:
1. first teamers: vincent aboubacar, balanta, chambers (RB), silva (LB), ayew,
2. worth a punt: mitrovic, umtiti, stones (RB), Khune, sirigu
3. future prospects: romangoli, oblak, patrick roberts, a smattering of english under 18s, josh murphy

Working on Lucas Romero and another experienced full back likely someone with

Promotions:
1. Iliori, Jones, Wisdom

Now in July;

Basically now I have a decent CB pairing of lovren and balanta and a lot of youth backups; iliori, jones, wisdom, umtiti, romangoli
Full backs are now young but decent; Flanno, chambers, stones, Silva, manquillo
Too many attacking mids/wingers; sterling, coutinho, markovic, lallana, ayew
not enough central mids; henderson, lucas, gerrard, can. Gerrard is deteriorating and lucas has a now mediocre performance. Looking at Lucas Romero
The strike force now is looking great with sturridge, aboubacar, mitrovic and balotelli
GK is better now with Mignolet doing well for me and Khune to challenge and Oblak to train up.

So I ended up fulfilling my goals for forwards and GK, and partially for the centre backs and full backs. Which means that I'll likely focus on training up the youth to help cover my needs (Stones-> RB, Chambers-> RB Umtiti-> LB) and recruit 2 more; one strong central mid (and lose lucas) and one strong full back.

You manged to buy Chambers in the 2nd season?! How much did he cost?

First season with Liverpool was a strange one.
Pretty similar to whats happening in real life, strikers failing to score, Sturridge injured most of the season , defensive weaknesses which lead to me finishing 7th in the Premier League BUT....
I (somehow) managed to win the Champions League, after beating PSG on away goals and Man City 9-0 on aggregate in the semi-final I set up a final encounter with the seemingly unstoppable Barca. Strangely decided to drop Suarez and Neymar for the final and it took an 88th minute winner from Coutinho and I won it!

1st Season
Signings
Koke - £34 million (Took a while to get to grips with it but had some real top performances throughout the season)
Depay - £11 millions (Was heavily rotated, but probably performed better than all the other AMs/Wingers (apart from Sterling))
+ A bunch of young players including Martin Odegaard

Sold
Lucas - £11 million (Needed cover at times throughout the season at DM, but glad to get the money)
Borini - £9 million (Wanted more money but was a panic sell so I could afford Depay

I think the catalyst in winning the champions league was that I started to play more counter-attacking football against the bigger teams (including a 3-4-2-1 formation) which seemed to work well but it meant a few players we're not played in their best position.

Soo moving onto the 2nd season I am just about to start my first game in the league after winning the UEFA super cup.
I signed Marco Reus for £40 million, seems to fit perfectly as a front 3 with Sterling + Sturridge, know I could have got him for £21m at the beginning but I fluffed the contract talks and he signed a new one with Dortmund. Also signed Balanta for £6m, currently injured but needed to sign him as I'm going to play 3 CB's a lot + can cover at LB.

Sold Lovren for £18 mill + let Johnson go on a free so brought in Sime Vrsalijko to compete at RB with Manquillo who I will probably sign after his loan spell. Told my players to aim for winning the league so it will be an interesting season!

Has anyone else noticed that the signing on fees are exceptionally high in fm 2015?

I mean ricardo rodriguez is a pretty good left back who wants 8.5 mil to join!

Decided to start a new season with Liverpool, wanted to see if I could do better in the cups and Champs league first time around

Wow, well I am definitely enjoying my Liverpool save atm. I have just got into Feb 15 and for the first time this season I have gone top of the league by 1 point. I have not lost since the 2nd December and whilst I believe Chelsea will probably win the league, I believe I have really well this season.

I have three formations a 442 diamond narrow which has been very successful for me.

A 4-2-3-1 which has rarely been used but I usually use this if I believe I need to change something after looking at their scout report so basically this is a formation that will often get changed

Finally a 4-5-1 with a dm, I use this to attempt to control/counter a match depending who I am facing or used later on in games when holding onto leads.

At the beginning of the season I wasn't too fussed with signing strikers as the team already have a powerful strike force. So I was only looking to sign one player, at first I wasn't planning to sign this guy but he was available for such a cheap price based on his ability. I signed Marcelo from Madrid for what I think is a cheap 16m, he has been very dominant as a CWB (A)

Then as pre-season went on Sakho got injured for a few weeks so I signed Juan Jesus to replace him whilst he's injured but he has been brilliant and has kept his place and is usually my main CB and the other CB is often shared between Sakho and Balanta. Lovren was also injured for a few weeks and that's where Balanta came into the picture and picked him up for 6m. Lovren got injured again for a few months and complained as soon as he came back that he wasn't getting enough first team football. So now he is on the transfer list.

Lallana is also someone who complained even though he just returned from injury and has now moved to Spurs for 16m (12 of that is in installments)

My only sale in pre-season was Skrtel to Real Madrid for 10m

Sorry for rambling on nearly done

Now currently I have just finished the Winter window and have only lost once in 26 games which is some sort of achievement for me.

In January I signed Odegaard for 1. something million and bought Giovinco for 2m (scored and injured on debut) and sold Lallana to Spurs as mentioned.

I am in the Capital One Cup final after beating Hull in the Semi's and earlier in the cup beat Ipswich 8-1. I now have a date with Man Utd in the final.

Also have a FA Cup replay against Sheff Utd after conceding in the 1st minute.

And finished top of my Champions League Group and will face PSG in a few weeks time (whom I can't see beating)

My top scorers this season are (in all comps):

Sturridge - 21
Sterling - 18
Balotelli - 15
Lambert - 9 (he has only started 7 games and came off the bench towards the end of most matches 7 times as well)

Assists

Balotelli - 15
Markovic - 10 (only started 14) only just realised this now haha, very impressive!
Sturridge/Sterling - 9

Like I said earlier (I think) I have rotated a fair bit and the most difficult position to decide to rotate for is definitely AMC as I have Sterling/Markovic/Coutinho who have all played well there.

I have not replicated Gerrard's role in real life and simply use him as a defensive mid so I can keep some form of shape in the middle.

I could go on but I shouldn't cos if anyone reads this they must think it's tedious and messily wrote. Will leave a few screenshots and Merry Christmas!

View attachment 317189
Table

View attachment 317188View attachment 317187
Fixtures

View attachment 317186
Best XI

View attachment 317185
Transfers

Last edited:
Just finished my first season with LFC.have to say it's been really enjoyable.....well until April where it all became real world stuff and my teams bottle crashedst. at start of April I was in F.A cup/champs league and top of the premiership tree.knocked out of cup at Anfield in reply to Man city.out of CL from Dortmund and Man utd came from knowhere to pop me to title.although I must say Man Utd away then stoke home.Tottenham away then Chelsea away.on last day could have been a bit easier.but sturridge got 25 goals.balanta was solid.Moreno was amazing.so I will go again this year.upgraded my youth facilities and I'm going to buy youth as its gna b a long process to get back to where club should be.any advice on how to get Pogba away from Juve (what transfer fee to offer)need replacement for Stevie.

Cheers

I'm not sure Pogba is worth the money, but then I don't like paying ridiculous transfer fees anyway and prefer to find young players I can improve then sell on.

I'm just starting season 5 and going into it as 4 time league and european champions. Last season was a clean sweep - domestic treble, european cup, world club champions, super cup and community shield (the first time I've ever done this). I scraped through the quarter final of the ECC on away goals, met Barca in the semi (lost at the Nou Camp then turned them over at Anfield) and went against Real Madrid in the final - scoring goals in the 72nd and 80th minutes to seal the victory. The league was easy with the other contenders dropping points like crazy.

For the start of this season Man Utd have appointed Roberto Martinez, after sacking Guardiola (who led them to 7th place); Mancini moved to Bayern. Moyes took over at Everton. Mourinho looks to be finally on the way out after a lack of success and constantly losing his rag in press conferences when playing my team.

In my career so far I've spent £339m on transfers, but recouped £448m. This window alone I've sold £110m of talent - Facundo Ferrerya (£39m), James Ward-Prowse (£24.5m up to £39.5m with add-ons), Lucas Leiva (£15m), Cauley Woodrow (£16m), Dele Alli (£6.5m). Ferrerya had scored 33 league goals in 2 seasons, but given that I'd bought him for £11m and his formed had dipped sharply putting him behind Sturridge and Origi I think this is good business (even if the fans don't)

Alli is a good example of how I'm making money - a £4.9m transfer in, 2 seasons on loan (100% salary paid, plus £3m in fees) then sold on for £6.5m. Ferrerya's replacement is Malcom (£12.75m from Corinthians) and I have a regen striker in my first team (Jake Peel, 18, £1.5m from Birmingham as a 15 year old) with another due to come through next year (and maybe replace Sturridge?). Between them, these two 18 year olds have already scored 20 first team goals and are both 4.5* prospects.

Elsewhere the team is filled with bargains - Denis Suarez came on a free to backup Sterling and Coutinho and is doing a fine job, 3 goals and 6 assists in 20 games at an average rating of 7.21 last year; now valued at £32m. Timo Horn cost £3.8m and has missed one league game in three years. The defense is led by Caulker, now 26 (bought for £15.5m) with Balanta (bought for £7.5m) and backed up by Skrtel and a Dutch regen I spent nearly £8m on 3 years ago (5* rated potential and at 19 already a good premier league defender).

My most expensive signing has been Ruben Neves at DMC (£25m), played 41 times last season (he's now 21) and outclassed both Lucas and the returning Xavi Alonso (£4m) in that position. I've brought in Wanyama from Man City for £6.5m (they bought him for £23.5m three years ago) as a backup. Another Dutch 5* regen is on rotation in the CM position - bought for £5m he made 6 league starts last season and is a backup to club captain Henderson.

There have been failures with some youngsters, a lot of them were sold on the cheap or released if they don't look like being good enough in future. I've also moved a lot of backup players on quite quickly for profit - Terence Kongolo came for £8.5m, sold for £25m after one season; Gaston Gil Romero was bought for £6m and sold for £26m after two years; Jordy Clasie cost £9m and was flipped a year later for £19.75m; Jurgen Locadia was bought for £9m, put out on loan, scored 12 goals in one season for me then sold for £23.5m. I suspect there are two newly acquired strikers who will go this route in future - both excellent prospects, loaned back out who will increase in value.

I'm sure with a lot of these players I could get more money for, but if I can get a good amount for a backup player and move a promising youngster into that slot it makes sense to do so. The core of the team hasn't changed a lot since I took over - Flanagan, Skrtel, Manquillo, Moreno, Sterling, Henderson, Allen, Coutinho, Origi and Sturridge were all at the club originally and all are regular starters. Some of those signings are looking like truly inspired bargains now - Coutinho is the joint second highest valued player in the world (behind Sterling who is now 23); I've just turned down a £50m bid for Origi - I would probably accept not much more than that, except it would annoy the supporters to lose two favoured strikers in one season.

The financial situation is very positive - £150m in the bank and the outstanding bank loans down to £120m. Anfield has been expanded to 58000 seats which should increase turnover even more this season. Season ticket sales are up (but for less money, which is good for the fans I guess), but the additional match day income is a boon and I'm now bringing in £3m on ticket sales for home games apparently. With more money to come in from transfers (a net income of about £3.5m per month is due for the next year) it should be a profitable year. From a financial point of view the only disappointment is the ability of whoever negotiates the sponsorship to capitalise on the increased profile and success - the amount brought in hasn't gone up since I joined.

I'm also keeping wages under control - the current total is still only £2.5m per week with £1.5 of that amongst the 14 key and first team players. Henderson is on £155k/week, Sterling and Sturridge are both on £150k and Coutinho is on £130k. After turning down the £50m bid for Origi he asked for a new contract, looking to increase from £90k to £180k per week, but I negotiated them down to £120k. With continued success it looks like players won't always be itching to leave for more money.

Good post mate.just read other forums who have stated that pogba is to turn into the main man fm15.I like your philosophy on youth and profit.have to ask you a Q tho.Do you still crave the success even tho you have done it all.?.or is your goal to overturn Fergie as the best ever?.I'm hoping that my defence can shore it up a bit and al b working preseason to get the already good tactic a bit more solid.I can't seem to shift players tho.which was my prob in Jan transfer window and I think it impacted as I wanted to bring in a few faces as I was still in every comp and my players were knackered *** the crunch time of season.I found that if morale is high then results flow.although I don't do a lot of rotation unless players fatigued so a few players were chapping my door.

But I will try again this season.like real world I suppose.my team is unplayable going forward but stupid goals at the back cost me league title.my transfer policy this year is youth so I hope I can punt sum of the deadwood and get young talent in.

YNWA!!

Good post mate.just read other forums who have stated that pogba is to turn into the main man fm15.I like your philosophy on youth and profit.have to ask you a Q tho.Do you still crave the success even tho you have done it all.?.or is your goal to overturn Fergie as the best ever?.I'm hoping that my defence can shore it up a bit and al b working preseason to get the already good tactic a bit more solid.I can't seem to shift players tho.which was my prob in Jan transfer window and I think it impacted as I wanted to bring in a few faces as I was still in every comp and my players were knackered *** the crunch time of season.I found that if morale is high then results flow.although I don't do a lot of rotation unless players fatigued so a few players were chapping my door.

But I will try again this season.like real world I suppose.my team is unplayable going forward but stupid goals at the back cost me league title.my transfer policy this year is youth so I hope I can punt sum of the deadwood and get young talent in.

YNWA!!

I'm not dismissing Pogba's ability or value to a team, but given the potential size of transfer I'd be surprised if anyone managing Liverpool can afford him without serious sacrifices elsewhere. I could never justify that kind of fee.

My own motivation is starting to reduce - I suspect I may not make it through the coming season before giving up. I do have some short term targets so that may give an added incentive. Seeing off Mourinho is one of them, along with bringing through the hot prospects I currently have. Longer term, making the club debt free and then ultimately becoming the biggest club in the world are reasonable targets if I can stick around in the short term. Seeing Manchester United completely ruined will also give some incentive - watching them slump to 7th, sack their 3rd manager in 3 seasons and miss out on the champions league for the second consecutive season already helped :)

With rotation I tend to have a "preferred" eleven but primarily go on tiredness then form. My players (except the 'keeper) will rarely play unless 95% or better condition once the season gets going and even the most fit players will tend to play only 2/3 games - Henderson, for example, started 24 league games last season, Sterling 26, Sturridge 25. The key to this is having a well rounded squad and planning in advance - remembering that if I'm going to rest Henderson and play (for example) the 19 year old wonderkid, I shouldn't also rest Caulker and play another wonderkid in defence or another in midfield, plus I also need a good on-field captain so these are the games that 35 year old Alonso may play. So long as the players play once per week they're mostly happy and I've not had any complaints from them about playing time yet.

I didn't try to sell too many players in the first season and rarely buy much in January - ultimately though selling requires either dropping the price or increasing their value (by playing them). Looking back, I sold only Johnson and Toure for any money in the first season (replacing them with Douglas and Sokratis Papastathopoulos) and managed to make it through the winter with no reinforcements.

You've got a lot of players coming back from loans at the end of the first season that can be sold :)

Small tweaks can make all the difference in defence - after season 1 I moved my DMC/DLP from a support instruction to defend and that helped considerably. Changing the fullbacks to support (instead of attack) in some games or when protecting the lead also helped me. I still give up too many goals from set pieces and am looking at ways to change that.

Starting a save w/ the Reds! Should I get Reus or Depay for my left wing?

Neither in my opinion.reus thinks Dortmund is just as good as Liverpool and the contract over has to b amazing.depay is a gr8 player.but I stayed strong with coutinho and he was amazing.depends on what system u play .att mid,I'd just stick with wee Phil.magnificent/lallana in backup.I'd splash cash on better goalie and get balanta.gr8 signing.but ur call.if I did choose I'd say reus

YNWA!!

havent played the game in well over a month so still in season 5 with liverpool gonna give it another crack over the next month

Neither in my opinion.reus thinks Dortmund is just as good as Liverpool and the contract over has to b amazing.depay is a gr8 player.but I stayed strong with coutinho and he was amazing.depends on what system u play .att mid,I'd just stick with wee Phil.magnificent/lallana in backup.I'd splash cash on better goalie and get balanta.gr8 signing.but ur call.if I did choose I'd say reus

YNWA!!

Ended up getting Depay for 20M and also bought Balanta for 8M and Lucas Romero for 7M (w/ a loan back clausule), so far haven't been getting very good performances out of Depay but he's just arrived so I'll give him time. Markovic has been amazing for me though lol!

Gonna have to sell Jose Enrique because he keeps complaining about not getting first-team football even though I've been playing him moderately...

I've been alternating between a 4-2-3-1 and a 4-3-2-1, so far I'm in 1st place w/ 13 wins and 2 losses in 15 matches, also finished in 1st place in CL group :D

Finished my first season and I'm quite happy with the achievements!!
We played very well in the league from day one and altough there were times of struggle to take the top spot because Chelsea was playing very well throughout the middle of the season we managed to secure the 1st place at the end of it

View attachment 311535

Having dominated the league we also got to the 1st knockout round of the Champions League, and there we beat Shaktar on away goals (unexplainable terrible performance at home almost cost us a 3-1 advantage) and went through to the Quarter-finals where we got quite raped by Bayern Munchen... I wasn't expecting us to go through given the difference in the qualities of the team but it was way worse than I thought

View attachment 311534

Back to domestic competitions as you can also see from the screenshot above we got some very good results in the FA Cup where we met Manchester United in the final and oh boy what a game that was!!

View attachment 311533

Basically at the 76th minute we were down 2-0 but moments of magic from our team made us go level right at the very end of the match!! After a fussy extra-time in which we went ahead on the scoreboard and they equalised 30 seconds later the game went down to penalites. We missed the first one and another one later but eventually got the victory we wanted and got crowned FA Cup champions. One of, if not THE best games I've ever played in Football Manager!

Here's the squad:

View attachment 311540

Best players:
Sterling (monster!!!), Coutinho and Henderson really made it happen for us providing for Balotelli/Sturridge and even scoring their own. If I had to single one of these out it would definetly be Sterling, at the age of 20 he performed life a world class player

View attachment 311538

As for squad improvements I am looking to sell Joe Allen, he was a good player for us but is valued at almost 20M and we're getting Ward-Prowse for 5M because he requested to be transfer listed. Also have Tielemans coming in next season (10M) and Lucas Leiva leaving for 14M. Given the loan players that will be returning to the club and the profit we may get out of them, if we add that to he already 55M available to us I might be able to get Pogba (I have a huge respect for his talent IRL) and improve the full-back positions bringing in Chambers (??) and Jonathan Silva (??). We'll see!

Hope you guys like this post!
YWNWA!

Last edited:
Back